Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

im pooping! posted:

he seems like he takes himself too seriously, maybe its the way i choose his responses because its lots of brooding and matter of fact 'im a witcher' which i interpret as 'i will murder you'. im like half way through the last wish so i cant rightly say if he is different in the books but dandelion and zoltan are more like the get super drunk and tattoo naked ladies on your neck type of people than geralt.

Don't know about the books but in the game he plays up the scary inscrutable witcher angle so people don't gently caress around with him or try to stiff him but the dude's a big softy with a goofy streak
Trip report us when/if you get to the sleepover scene in Khaer Moren in 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
At this point Bethesda is only getting worse at games though but it's funny how militant people get about Witcher and Dark Souls especially.

When I played Witcher 1 I got to the city and my save corrupted and I wasn't thinking that sucked, I was glad that that seemed like a good reason to stop playing. I didn't even buy the second, it was a gift at some point and I pretty much immediately hated it. So yeah, there are tons of games out there that compete for my limited gaming time and are also not something many people have an unlimited budget to just waste a series they haven't enjoyed before just on the word of goons.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I had to put over 100 hours into dragon age origins before i decided i hate it and never want to play it again

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Morglon posted:

At this point Bethesda is only getting worse at games though but it's funny how militant people get about Witcher and Dark Souls especially.

....huh?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Werong Bustope posted:

I really wish I'd been able to get into Witcher 3 because everyone I know raves about it but I bounced off it hard. The combat and movement controls felt sticky and unresponsive, not so badly it was unplayable but enough that traversing the world felt like a chore; when I got through the opening map and hit the second, even more enormous map I literally couldn't face continuing. Which is a shame, because I enjoyed the quests I'd done and the world is gorgeous.

Also there were like, 3 bath scenes within the opening few hours of the game which is just silly.

:same:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I enjoyed all three Witchers but I don't know when, if ever, I will want to replay them. Particular Witcher 1.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bethesda made both those games.

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015

Quote-Unquote posted:

Pretty much the most fun I had in GTA Online was just planting sticky bombs outside my apartment right by one of the car upgrade places, luring in the people that I had previously been trolling by blowing up their cars as soon as they came out of said car upgrade place, then blowing them up while watching on the TV in my apartment.

Then putting more bombs down while they were furiously driving back to kill me, and repeating.

Spent a good hour doing this, then a few of them put their expensive cars outside my apartment so they got blown up too, and I got kicked to a 'cheaters' server where I had to wear a dunce hat and got sniped from the other side of the city.

Apparently killing people and blowing stuff up is frowned upon in GTA or something.

This is the worst part of GTA Online, the fact that you get punished for doing the sort of rear end in a top hat things that the main game encourages. I think they should have a bunch of different servers for different purposes, didn't GTA IV do that?
You could have one with everyone in Passive Mode, like a sandbox mode where people can just happily complete missions, and one where everyone can just gently caress each other over in PvP. That way everyone could play the game the way they wanted and not get punished, instead of getting put in the "Bad Sport" servers, which loving suck.

And I would appreciate the Passive Mode server, so that every time I do Import/Export missions I don't have to change my MTU settings to 600 to stop people constantly blowing up my cars :argh:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Morglon posted:

When I played Witcher 1 I got to the city and my save corrupted and I wasn't thinking that sucked, I was glad that that seemed like a good reason to stop playing. I didn't even buy the second, it was a gift at some point and I pretty much immediately hated it. So yeah, there are tons of games out there that compete for my limited gaming time and are also not something many people have an unlimited budget to just waste a series they haven't enjoyed before just on the word of goons.

is this performance art? i think i "get it"

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

im pooping! posted:

I had to put over 100 hours into dragon age origins before i decided i hate it and never want to play it again

Hey me too. Then a few years later it took an additional 160 for me to remember I hated it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TOO MANY GOBLINS posted:

This is the worst part of GTA Online, the fact that you get punished for doing the sort of rear end in a top hat things that the main game encourages. I think they should have a bunch of different servers for different purposes, didn't GTA IV do that?
You could have one with everyone in Passive Mode, like a sandbox mode where people can just happily complete missions, and one where everyone can just gently caress each other over in PvP. That way everyone could play the game the way they wanted and not get punished, instead of getting put in the "Bad Sport" servers, which loving suck.

And I would appreciate the Passive Mode server, so that every time I do Import/Export missions I don't have to change my MTU settings to 600 to stop people constantly blowing up my cars :argh:
Nothing about GTA Online is good. It's amazing how much they hosed it up.

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015

FactsAreUseless posted:

Nothing about GTA Online is good. It's amazing how much they hosed it up.

After buying a few properties, my character actually has to pay bills. Who the gently caress thought that would be fun? It takes forever to make any money without buying Shark Cards, the entire experience feels so soulless and cynical.
The only part I kinda enjoy is the Stunt Races they added. Some of those are pretty fun, especially the ones with weird, gimmicky cars with rockets attached to them and poo poo

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
yep didn't bother booting it back up ever again after realizing it had MMO grindy elements, wtf what's wrong with a mode that's completely limiltless for fun shienanigans? Why isn't in an option anywhere? Even if you limit it to 8 or 16 players and keep bigger player pools only for your dumb MMO mode, that's what I want out of a multiplayer GTA. It's the only reason I'm playing their stupid game's SP mode in the first place.

Mayhem is fun. RPG poo poo not so much unless I'm specifically looking for that in my gameplay (RPGs are cool and dope).

But hey their bags are lined with $$ so whatever, we're partially to blame I spose

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Captain Lavender posted:

Hey me too. Then a few years later it took an additional 160 for me to remember I hated it.

I can't even get back into DA:O to remember how much it sucked again (499 hours on record) because it doesn't remember that I already bought all the DLC and the links to recover your password for the online account sends you to a 404 page.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Werong Bustope posted:

I really wish I'd been able to get into Witcher 3 because everyone I know raves about it but I bounced off it hard. The combat and movement controls felt sticky and unresponsive, not so badly it was unplayable but enough that traversing the world felt like a chore; when I got through the opening map and hit the second, even more enormous map I literally couldn't face continuing. Which is a shame, because I enjoyed the quests I'd done and the world is gorgeous.

Also there were like, 3 bath scenes within the opening few hours of the game which is just silly.

The combat is also in a weird place where it's too clunky and based on stats and buffs to really work as a pure action game but at the same time is too involved for you to just sleepwalk through encounters; every minor fight has a mandatory downtime where you rest to regenerate your potions and bombs and health and then whenever you approach a fight you have to guzzle down a bunch of potions and oils. It's also balanced really weird where on normal the game gets really easy really quick but if you crank the difficulty up it just adds more tedium by taking away your ability to heal when you rest and making enemies do so much damage that every fight winds up you getting a hit in and then spending a minute rolling around gobbling down snacks to regenerate all the health you lost.

There's a mod that makes the potions and oils automatically activate when you encounter enemies but I'd you're at the point where you're modding out half of the core gameplay because it sucks maybe it's time to just cut your losses and admit the game isn't for you. It's a shame, because what little of the story of Polish Inuyasha that I got through was fun.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TOO MANY GOBLINS posted:

It takes forever to make any money without buying Shark Cards
:thunk:

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Golf Story is a really fun and cute game but goddamn is it buggy. I've had 3-4 bugs that required me to quit and restart, losing progress, after my ball or frisbee disc got stuck on a piece of scenery indefinitely. The golf demake, Galf, doesn't let you quit it ever unless there's some magical combination of buttons that I'm missing. Another time, I landed the ball square on the fairway but it registered as a bunker for some reason. At least I didn't have to restart the game but it cost me a stroke.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

im pooping! posted:

In the middle of the dwarf caves?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Pocket Billiards posted:

In the middle of the dwarf caves?

Man how did all of y'all make it past the wizard tower rock paper scissors bullshit

I went there first and it fuckin' sucked and I stopped playing

Follow up question are the dwarf caves worse

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

we dont like talking or thinking about it

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I don't understand how GTA Online is as popular as it is.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

On PC the RP servers are definitely a big draw, hell San Andreas did/does still have a hefty rear end online presence today thanks to (Mostly RP) SAMP servers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Attestant posted:

I don't understand how GTA Online is as popular as it is.

Theres a guy i know who, since GTAV’s release has not played another game his girlfriend didnt ask him to coop with her. He has like 500 hours sunk into it. I dont know how he made it 5 hours much less 500 but that is the audience.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Holy gently caress nearly 21 days in a row playing a game you hate

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Somfin posted:

Man how did all of y'all make it past the wizard tower rock paper scissors bullshit

Hell, I enjoyed the Fade part all three times.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Aleph Null posted:

I can't even get back into DA:O to remember how much it sucked again (499 hours on record) because it doesn't remember that I already bought all the DLC and the links to recover your password for the online account sends you to a 404 page.

There's a prog in the folder it's installed in that will put the dlc back for you.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Somfin posted:

You know how the Fade at least attempts to keep things interesting with the transformation and "puzzle" elements and stuff?

The dwarf caves do not.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Kerbtree posted:

There's a prog in the folder it's installed in that will put the dlc back for you.

It didn't. I tried. :(
I think its because I bought it originally on Games for Windows Live.

Does that count as dragging games down? Digital platforms for purchasing and licensing games that die? I already had to buy Fallout 3 twice back in the day thanks to the end of GFWL.
I'm sticking with Steam and GOG for now.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I'm playing The witcher 1 : the voice acting is abominable.the quests are awful,the combat's not so bad honestly.

It doesn't explain how to do anything,i know there's tips but they're vague,alchemy is a complete headfuck until you figure it out through trial and error,and the game likes to stonewall you with vague unhelpful quest descriptions.

I really want to like it but it's not easy to love.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Witcher 1 is the epitome of eastern european game design: pretty (at the time it came out) and full of depth but severely unoptimized, and janky as gently caress. If youre not the type of person who can move past those flaws it's just not gonna be your game.

The sequels have more of a budget and some mainstream appeal.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I tried it years back and hated it,now i’m trying to stick with it cause i got the second one with it (Gog)

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Aleph Null posted:

The gently caress?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Somfin posted:

The what?

Aleph Null posted:

The fade's cool. You get to play a bit differently for a while since you get the different forms to turn into. The golem form is particularly fun.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

The what?

The fade's cool. You get to play a bit differently for a while since you get the different forms to turn into. The golem form is particularly fun.

It's cool in concept but it was about twice as long as it should have been. I also had to restart my game and replay the intro so I could go to the wizard tower first, because I got stuck hard somewhere because I didn't have a healer (since the only one is at the tower) and no backup saves handy.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

TOO MANY GOBLINS posted:

There’s a ton of older stuff in the game that I enjoy playing but it pays gently caress-all so despite the massive userbase there is nobody doing it (and there will never be any kind of payout balance patches.)

Plus the matchmaking is really awful and it’s a pain in the rear end to play with friends.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I enjoyed all three Witchers but I don't know when, if ever, I will want to replay them. Particular Witcher 1.

That's where I ended up. Good games but there's no way I'd play the first one again.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

At least CDProjekt Red got off the ground in terms of game polish, localization, graphical fidelity, and international appeal. Piranha Bytes is making another Gothic-style game and it boasts the most cutting-edge animations from 2004 and a non-customisable dude with no personality as the player character, which will certainly win over today's more diverse market.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Well, granted, Geralt remains a "non-customizable dude" but hes endearing all the same.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

When you get banned in GTA Online they reset your poo poo back to square one, and it's quite easy to get banned in that game with all the modders running around dumping cash on people. Now granted, I got banned because I did abuse mod menus like crazy since trying to play legit was an unfun grindy slog. It's obvious they wanted people to purchase those overpriced Shark Cards because it takes forever to earn money legit in that game overwise. No wonder people cheated like crazy.

Anyway, for whatever reason my money wasn't completely reset, I had enough to basically do things like Import/Export that paid more but I just wasn't it feeling it anymore, so I stopped playing it. I had fun with GTA Online but it was time to move on, and in retrospect it was a bad game with a toxic community. Even the goons I played with were obnoxious (to be fair I was also very obnoxious so it evens out. Games with PvP tend to do things to people I think).

Kinda burned out on multiplayer games after that.

wafflemoose has a new favorite as of 16:59 on Oct 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

At least CDProjekt Red got off the ground in terms of game polish, localization, graphical fidelity, and international appeal. Piranha Bytes is making another Gothic-style game and it boasts the most cutting-edge animations from 2004 and a non-customisable dude with no personality as the player character, which will certainly win over today's more diverse market.

Man, I remember when the first Gothic was released and it just blew my mind with the big open world and branching story paths. But then they just kinda kept releasing the same game over and over with only minimal improvements.

Fake edit: I just remembered how incredibly weird the control scheme in Gothic 1 was. IIRC the default way to interact with anything was to hold shift and then hit the up arrow. :psyduck: