Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Charger

I see two choices here. I can leg it around the H36 building to 1540 (I could reach 1639, but someone already called it) and fire on the Shadowcat, or I could jump to 2142, fire on the Urbanmech, and be able to stroll north next turn and probably have a good shot on wherever either 'Mech goes next. What do you all think is better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Shadowcat has more armor and will alert one turn earlier. However, its to-hit numbers will be higher since it jumped.

Conversely, the Urbie stayed still and is easier to hit. Has less armor, too.

Right now, I'm leaning towards focusing on the Shadowcat, but lemme think about this some more.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Sentinel

Questions for PTN:

1. Does the Shadow Cat have LOS to 2240 and/or 2139? I'm planning on taking one of these.

2. Did it walk or jump?

Also, we've got two mechs so far wanting 1142.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Mary Annette posted:

1. Does the Shadow Cat have LOS to 2240 and/or 2139? I'm planning on taking one of these.

Both very yes

Mary Annette posted:

2. Did it walk or jump?

Walked.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

anakha posted:

Shadowcat has more armor and will alert one turn earlier. However, its to-hit numbers will be higher since it jumped.

Conversely, the Urbie stayed still and is easier to hit. Has less armor, too.

Right now, I'm leaning towards focusing on the Shadowcat, but lemme think about this some more.

If the Shadowcat survives this turn the alarm sounds and the race is on. It should be everyone's primary target.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

dis astranagant posted:

If the Shadowcat survives this turn the alarm sounds and the race is on. It should be everyone's primary target.

One more turn after this one.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

If the Shadowcat walked, that changes the numbers quite a bit. Gotta focus it down now while we have a chance.

Guys, kindly call out the hexes where you plan to go, especially those with big guns. My MLs can critseek just fine as long as the big guns can open up holes, but I'm ok with having less than ideal position as long as the heavy hitters can get to where they have the best shot of hitting the Star Commander.

anakha fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Oct 12, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

If you guys are serious about this someone who is playing should aggregate who is going where - it is hard to read through and remember what everyone has said over the past x posts. Someone make a list and post it, then everyone can update it as they go (reposting the whole thing with their intended move listed).

edit: If PTN is okay with that? Dunno if it would be too gamey?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

If you guys are serious about this someone who is playing should aggregate who is going where - it is hard to read through and remember what everyone has said over the past x posts. Someone make a list and post it, then everyone can update it as they go (reposting the whole thing with their intended move listed).

edit: If PTN is okay with that? Dunno if it would be too gamey?

About every other round has a googledoc for most of the coordination

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

It's not that hard to click through a page or two and ctrl-f the hex number you want to end in. I don't think we really need a list.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

raverrn posted:

It's not that hard to click through a page or two and ctrl-f the hex number you want to end in. I don't think we really need a list.
I'm just saying thats what I would do if I was playing and it was allowed. Theres already been some confusion and I'm not in this match though so :shrug:

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Ehhhhh, we can work it into the game fluff by remembering that we're on laser comms - a mech-sized game of telephone, basically, and miscommunications come with the territory.

I'm roleplaying my Sentinel's 'improved communications' quirk by micromanaging posting up a storm trying to coordinate orders. :D

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

anakha posted:

If the Shadowcat walked, that changes the numbers quite a bit. Gotta focus it down now while we have a chance.
It changes the numbers by 1! :iamafag:

Capskye
Nov 4, 2009

More bullets!
I can get the Hitman in to help put some fire and a TAG on the Shadow Cat. 1440 would be the optimal space for it to go in.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It changes the numbers by 1! :iamafag:

Against your dice, everything getting easier by 1 is "quite a bit". :v:

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015

Mary Annette posted:

Ehhhhh, we can work it into the game fluff by remembering that we're on laser comms - a mech-sized game of telephone, basically, and miscommunications come with the territory.

I'm roleplaying my Sentinel's 'improved communications' quirk by micromanaging posting up a storm trying to coordinate orders. :D

For being essentially four commands stitched together for a delicate operation fluff wise, I’d say GoonCompany is doing remarkably well coordinating moves.

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
Yay, the Shadowcat A! My favorite from playing in the pods. Of course if this Shadowcat ends up like very other we've seen in thread it will be dead very fast.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Snake Pit Betting Pool

The final two!

Unknown #9 Known Facts
- Consistently spending 4 MP/turn
- - Likely a 4/6, may be as slow as a 3/5
- Has a no EWAR equipment

Possibly True Hints (one is true, one is not)
- Is a Heavy 'Mech
- Is an Omnimech

Unknown #10 Known Facts
- Consistently spending 6 MP/turn
- - May be at least a 6/9
- - May a 4/6 or slower
- Has a no EWAR equipment

Possibly True Hints (one is true, one is not)
- Is a BattleMech IIC
- Is a Chicken Walker

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Okay, hat time!
#9:Thresher
#10:Hunchback IIC

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

#9 Gargoyle/Man O' War
#10 Hunchback IIC

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
Mech 9: Guillotine IIC
Mech 10: Shadow Hawk IIC

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

#9: Glass Spider
#10: Shadow Hawk IIC

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH

Good news, team, I'm wildly out of position for this engagement. The way I see it, I have two options:
1.) I can advance forward to hex 1943 in the hopes of swinging the gate shut on at least one of them next turn. Potential drawback is if the enemies close on the visible Goonsquad, I'm even MORE out in the cold.
2.) I can turn and move to 1441 and set up for a full frontal. Drawbacks include that I think that alley is gonna be hella crowded, and it feels like having some diversity of of coverage would be good

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Dire Wolf
Clint IIC

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

9: Thresher

10: Ryoken II (because you want to have a Mech that is bad)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Whether the reinforcements wind up called in the next few turns or not, I'd say the only real mistake the players can make would be sticking around the bottom map edge.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah moving towards your objectives seems like the thing to do here.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Put on your seatbelts, it's time to party

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Quickdraw

Time for the Yakuza to make their presence felt. :black101:

Charger, Von Rohrs, we should end up the closest to the Shadowcat this turn. Von Rohrs can take 1639, but the Charger should call dibs on 1540 to stay within medium range for your MPLs.

I'll take 1440 and stay at medium range for my MLs. Will finalize orders tomorrow, but will likely end up as follows:

Movement: move three hexes forward to 1442 (3mp), turn towards 1441 then move to 1440 (6mp), turning to face 1540 (7mp).

Firing: Delay shooting until after other Mechs have fired, then fire all MLs at the Shadowcat.

PTN, can I tag the Urbie as a secondary target if the Shadowcat is already destroyed by the time I fire?

anakha fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 13, 2017

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

anakha posted:

Quickdraw

Time for the Yakuza to make their presence felt. :black101:

Charger, Von Rohrs, we should end up the closest to the Shadowcat this turn. Von Rohrs can take 1639, but the Charger should call dibs on 1540 to stay within medium range for your MPLs.

I'll take 1440 and stay at medium range for my MLs. Will finalize orders tomorrow, but will likely end up as follows:

Movement: move three hexes forward to 1442 (3mp), turn towards 1441 then move to 1440 (6mp), turning to face 1540 (7mp).

Firing: Delay shooting until after other Mechs have fired, then fire all MLs at the Shadowcat.

PTN, can I tag the Urbie as a secondary target if the Shadowcat is already destroyed by the time I fire?

This is horribly rules-lawyery, but you should probably say after all other FRIENDLY Mechs have fired. I don't necessarily think it would matter in terms of dice resolution, and disregarding that, I'd hope PTN would understand the the intent of the player, but I've been burned in PbP orders in other games before and endeavour to be very specific now because of it

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

mercenarynuker posted:

This is horribly rules-lawyery, but you should probably say after all other FRIENDLY Mechs have fired. I don't necessarily think it would matter in terms of dice resolution, and disregarding that, I'd hope PTN would understand the the intent of the player, but I've been burned in PbP orders in other games before and endeavour to be very specific now because of it

Shooting in BattleTech is simultaneous, with damage not applied until after the shooting is done. PTN is usually nice enough to allow players to switch targets if a target is destroyed thoroughly with secondary target orders and the like, but the exact order of shooting is otherwise irrelevant because the enemy gets to shoot back even if they're destroyed.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
The one situation where order matters is in terms of critseeker weapons vs holepuncher weapons. Obviously you want the LBX or missiles to be firing after the gauss rifles and PPCs.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I meant to say 'after other friendly Mechs have fired', with the intent of having my MLs critseek if the bigger guns have punched through the Shadowcat's armor.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Spider

I'm not sure if I can make it over to the fight on the east side and have a good position to contribute, so I'm thinking of continuing on north and seeing if I can avoid catching the attention of the 'Mechs that are currently in 1026, 0929 and 2218.

Also, refresh my memory regarding 'Mechs standing on buildings - can Lights stand on H quality buildings without them collapsing, or is HD the only level of durability that can support a 'Mech's weight?

Capskye
Nov 4, 2009

More bullets!
I think I'm gonna start pushing up the left side as well and try to scout out while avoiding sight from those northern patrols.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Spider

I'm not sure if I can make it over to the fight on the east side and have a good position to contribute, so I'm thinking of continuing on north and seeing if I can avoid catching the attention of the 'Mechs that are currently in 1026, 0929 and 2218.

Also, refresh my memory regarding 'Mechs standing on buildings - can Lights stand on H quality buildings without them collapsing, or is HD the only level of durability that can support a 'Mech's weight?

If the building has more CF than your tonnage, you can stand on it safely. However if it gets shot up to the point that it no longer has enough CF to support you, it will collapse beneath you.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

apostateCourier posted:

If the building has more CF than your tonnage, you can stand on it safely. However if it gets shot up to the point that it no longer has enough CF to support you, it will collapse beneath you.

How do I determine what a building's CF is?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

W.T. Fits posted:

How do I determine what a building's CF is?

It's based on the type of building however not all buildings will be the maximum possible CF for their type.

Light building have a CF of 1-15. I'd say an average stick-built home is probably CF5 or so while a brick house is probably pushing CF15. Nothing can stand on a light building, that Quonset hut is not supporting a Locust but you could pack two infantry platoons on the roof if you really wanted to.

Medium buildings have a CF of 16-45. These are more like your average multi-story apartment complex, or old-fashioned garment factories or other light industrial buildings. I'd probably classify most buildings and smoke-stacks in a refinery complex as medium even if they're made of steel, since most don't really have external walls. Light `Mechs can usually stand on medium buildings without trouble, but if they were to, say, try to stand on a refinery pipe cluster they'll still crush it and fall on their asses.

Heavy buildings have a CF of 45-90, and are usually either heavy steel or concrete. Heavy buildings can usually support most 'Mechs, but you still run the risk of even a medium BattleMech collapsing an undamaged one. Skyscrapers will nearly always be heavy buildings, they're designed to handle all sorts of stresses, but in a world with giant robots pretty much anything can be reinforced to support the weight of a BattleMech.

Hardened buildings have a CF of 91-120 but could go higher depending on how much reinforced magical space concrete is used. These are usually bunkers and should be fairly rare, but a well-constructed skyscraper, a factory that's nearly completely filled with steel equipment, or a house made out of 'Mech armor might all qualify as hardened buildings. A hardened building designed for military purposes will usually have a CF of 120, but other buildings will vary quite a bit.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

So with me weighing in at 30 tons, all the HD and H buildings should be okay to stand on, M's are a gamble and L's are automatically a no go. Got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

W.T. Fits posted:

So with me weighing in at 30 tons, all the HD and H buildings should be okay to stand on, M's are a gamble and L's are automatically a no go. Got it.

Mind you, the marginal ones are only safe for as long as it takes someone to feel like shooting it out from underneath you. Buildings are not difficult to hit.

• Locked thread