Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Climb up the rope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You don't trust this guy. "No offence, but I think we should stay here," you say. You hold your breath, wondering what the giant's reaction will be.

He lets go of Joanie's hand and stalks toward you. Your eyes travel up, up, up to his gross face.

You don't believe it! There is a tear starting to trickle down his slimy cheek.

"You don't want to go with me?" the giant asks in a trembling voice. "You don't like me?" He flings himself onto the floor. His shoulders shake as he wails and moans.

"Boo hoo hoo hoo," he weeps.

You, Sid, and Joanie exchange puzzled looks. "No, no, we like you a lot," you say. "Really we do."

But it's no use. The giant is crying so hard he can't even hear you. Huge tears roll onto the floor. You are soon knee-deep in tears.

Then chest-deep.

Now you can taste the giant's salty tears.

You're going under. Under.

You start crying yourself when you realize this is

THE END.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Magic Book of Spells

Goal Endings: 1/2

Bad Endings
Drank drugged milk and had our knees used as cooking ingredients.
Eaten by an elderly werewolf.
Argued with Sid for the entire one-hour time limit.
Had our throat torn out by a giant rat.
Accidentally turned into a dog by an extremely literal spell.
Horrifically devoured by a worm-tentacle-woman-thing.
Killed offscreen by a giant scorpion.
Eaten by piranha accidentally summoned by Joanie.
Turned into a ventriloquist dummy.
:siren:Drowned in a flood of giant tears.:siren:

Achievements
Nice: Encountered a total of 69 bad endings.

Our options posted:

• Climb up the rope.
  • Hide in the crate.
  • Hide the book in the coffin.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Well, dang. Seems like the giant is bad news either way. Try hiding the book in the coffin.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Hide in the crate, let's try and get every bad ending

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

No climb the rope, not that anyone can remember when that choice was

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I remember reading this book as a kid and encountering possibly the most hosed-up ending in the whole series. I hope we manage to run into it :allears:

Hide it in the coffin.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Climb up rope. Climb up rope. Climb.... up rope!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Next vote for coffin or rope gets it.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Up that rope!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You decide to climb up the rope ladder to safety. But it is a lot harder than you thought it would be!

Sid is waiting to help you. You can't see his face, but his hands reach down through the hole in the ceiling.

The climb gets harder and harder. You're moving up the rope, but only an inch at a time. Your hands begin to ache. Your arm muscles feel like mush.

"Try to swing your foot up here," you hear a whisper from above. "If we can grab hold of your foot, we can pull you up."

You have no extra breath to answer. The rope feels like it is on fire. Your shoulder muscles burn and your fingers start to cramp.

You've got to try to swing your foot up. You can't climb any longer. You're exhausted.

Slowly at first then harder and harder, you swing back and forth with the rope. You kick your legs up toward the hole.

Just when you think you are about to drop off, you feel a hand grab your ankle.

You did it! You're safe!

quote:

You fell someone grab your other foot. It must be Joanie. You are easily lifted upward.

Now that you think about it, you are being pulled through the hole in the ceiling awfully fast. Too fast. You have a terrible feeling that it isn't Joanie or Sid holding onto your ankle.

You're pulled through the opening in the ceiling onto the solid, hard floor. You lie there, eyes shut, too tired and too frightened to move.

But you can't put it off any longer. You have to find out if it's Sid and Joanie. You open your eyes. Nobody's there.

You untangle the rope ladder from around your feet. Then you hear a faint shuffling sound behind you.

You glance back. Three kids walk toward you. They are wearing what looks like baseball uniforms.

"Hello," you call. The kids don't answer, but keep advancing. Closer and closer.

Then you gasp. These aren't ordinary kids - they're corpses!

quote:

You stifle a scream. The corpse kids keep coming toward you. You stare at them in horror. Rotting flesh falls from their bones. Their sunken eyes stare out of their skull-like heads. They shuffle to a stop right in front of you.

"Wha-what do you want?" you stammer.

"You," one of the corpses answers.

You back up a little. Your eyes dart around, searching for a quick exit.

"Wait a minute," someone says. It's Sid.

"Sid!" you shout. "Where are you? Is Joanie all right?"

"Stop yelling," Joanie says. "We're right here."

Joanie and Sid step out from behind the three corpses.

"They asked us to play on their baseball team," Sid explains. "They need three more players."

"We joined their team," Joanie says. "They're even going to let me play first base!"

You can't believe what you are hearing. This is awful!

"Sid," you cry. "I trusted you! How could you let this happen?"

Sid hangs his head, embarrassed. He knows what you are about to say.

"I always play first base!"

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Magic Book Pages

Bad Endings
Drowned in a flood of giant tears.
:siren:Shanghaied into playing baseball with a group of undead children.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Hide in the crate.
  • Hide the book in the coffin.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

this doesn't sound like a bad ending to me, tbh. if we were teens instead of kids, why, this could be a charming scene of a timeless romance.

let's hide it in the coffin, i guess

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

That was certainly an ending. Coffin.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Stash the book in the coffin!

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Let's finish off the bad endings from going after the bullies - Hide in the crate

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

CaptainCaveman posted:

Let's finish off the bad endings from going after the bullies - Hide in the crate

Can’t argue with that. Crate :wcc:

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You decide the coffin is the best place to hide the book. You run over to it and try to lift the lid. It won't budge.

"Help me!" you yell to Joanie and Sid. "Maybe together we can pry it open."

Joanie and Sid rush over to the coffin. Grunting and groaning, the three of you tug on the heavy lid. It gives an inch, then two inches. Enough to slip the book inside. Then the lid snaps shut, almost taking your fingers with it.

Just in time! A sound behind you makes you whirl around. You see a black hat topple off the shelf across the room. A black crow flies out. It circles the room, then lands on the coffin. You watch, stunned, as the crow turns into the Magician.

"You three meddling children have taken something of mine. I am here to get it back." The Magician's voice echoes throughout the room. He takes a step toward you. "Which one of you has my book?" he demands.

"We lost it," you say quickly.

"Don't you dare lie to me!" The whole room seems to shake with the sound of his voice. "Lies make me very angry. You don't want to see me when I'm angry," the Magician warns.

The Magician points at you. Sparks fly from his fingers. What is he doing to you?

quote:

You glance down and see that your feet are no longer touching the floor. You float higher and higher.

The Magician snaps his fingers. You are turned upside down, suspended in midair. Then you start shaking like a saltshaker.

Everything from your pants pockets falls to the ground. When the Magician is satisfied that you don't have the book, he does the same thing to Sid and Joanie. Gum wrappers, markers, rubber bands, even a sandwich fall onto the floor.

"You must have hidden the book," the Magician realizes.

THUD! You, Sid, and Joanie drop onto the floor.

"Hey!" Joanie complains. "That hurt." She rubs her backside.

"That was nothing," the Magician growls. You have a terrible feeling he is telling the truth.

The Magician claps his hands, and a tiny hourglass is suddenly hanging from a rope around your neck. "The sand will run out in exactly one hour," he explains. "If you fail to return the book in perfect condition you will join my collection."

"W-W-What collection?" you ask.

Out of nowhere, a gust of wind blows aside the velvet curtain behind the coffin. What you see makes all three of you scream in terror!

quote:

You were right. Behind the curtain is a brick wall. But there's something else, too. A wooden cabinet with rows of glass shelves. And on the shelves are heads.

Human heads.

You, Sid, and Joanie stand frozen in fear. You can't tear your eyes away from the horrible sight. Twelve shrunken human heads stare back at you.

"You monster!" you shout. You force yourself to face the evil Magician.

But he disappears through the brick wall. Again.

You have to think of something. You really don't want to have your head shrunk. You don't even want to see Joanie get her annoying head shrunk.

"Now what?" Sid asks.

"Let's give back the book," Joanie says.

"I don't think we should," Sid argues. "He might not let us go after we give him what he wants. That book is our only assurance that he won't hurt us - at least for an hour," he adds, glancing at the hourglass.

"But if we don't give him the book, he'll take our heads for sure!" Joanie counters. They turn to you for a decision.

If you think you should give the book back to the Magician now, turn to PAGE 78.

If you think you'll have better luck by hanging onto the book and trying to find a way to escape, turn to PAGE 36.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Shanghaied into playing baseball with a group of undead children.

Achievements

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Reading is for nerds, so...

Return the book.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

The whole thing we've been trying to do has been to give back the book, so obviously we want to escape.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Tied, next vote gets it.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
He said we'd join his collection if we didn't give him the book, but he never said he'd let us go if we did. Escape

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You don't think the Magician will let you go once you give him the book. Your best bet is to escape now. But how?

"If the Magician got out," you say, "so can we!"

"But he's magic," Joanie counters. "And he knows his way around. He probably built this creepy room!"

"Fine," you tell her, "don't help. Your pointy little head will look great on that shelf."

Joanie stamps her feet. The hollow sound echoes in the small room. "Quit picking on me," she whines.

You and Sid roll your eyes. "Come on, Sid," you say. "Maybe we can find some sort of trapdoor." You begin tapping on the brick wall, searching for a hidden door.

Joanie stomps over to the corner. She sits there and pouts.

You ignore her and wave at the coffin. "This stuff had to be brought in here somehow," you tell Sid. You have a nagging feeling that you had the solution a minute ago, but it slipped away.

Joanie's singing TV jingles. She's so annoying.

"Joanie, cut it out!" you yell. "We're trying to - " Then something occurs to you. As strange as it seems, you think the answer is in something Joanie said or did.

Is the clue in something Joanie said? Find out on PAGE 46.

Is the clue in something Joanie did? Turn to PAGE 108.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~

quote:

Joanie stamps her feet. The hollow sound echoes in the small room. "Quit picking on me," she whines.

Well, this is obvious. “Quit picking on me”… there must be a lock somewhere here that we need to pick. Thanks for saying that, Joanie!

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

That HOLLOW SOUND is nothing to be concerned about. I'm sure she said something useful, right?

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

quote:

Joanie stamps her feet. The hollow sound echoes in the small room.

quote:

Joanie stomps over to the corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SevfZ5gCUnY&t=41s

(Yes, this is my answer.)

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Yeah, it's gotta be the stomping

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Obviously knowing that everyday's great at our Junes is the clue. Thanks Joanie.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

Get real! When has Joanie ever said anything that was of any help?

Are you having a good hair day? Because your head is going on permanent view in the Magician's collection.

THE END

I think that may be the shortest bad ending in the entire series.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
:siren:Couldn't find a way to escape the Magician's room.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Hide in the crate.
  • Give the book back.
  • Consider what Joanie did.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

I still say we hide in the crate to finish out the bad endings from going after the bullies.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Hide in the crate and continue to marvel at the sometimes creative ways we can fail.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Let's pack ourselves up in the crate.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"The boxes!" you cry. "We can hide in the boxes."

You quickly open one of the huge boxes you've been hiding behind. All three of you scramble inside.

You hear Larry and his friends still chasing rabbits. They sound awfully close. Minutes pass.

"This is soooo boring." Joanie lets out a long sigh. I guess I'll write in my diary."

Joanie unzips her backpack. She shifts around the books and papers until she finds her diary.

"How can you write at a time like this?" asks Sid. "You can hardly see in here it's so dark."

Sid's voice sounds a little shaky.

Joanie takes a tiny flashlight out of her pack and flicks it on. Its faint yellow beam shines dimly on Sid's face.

"Uh-oh," you whisper.

What's wrong with Sid?

quote:

Sid looks terrible. His face is the color of paste. His eyes are squeezed tightly shut. His mouth is wrinkled up in a tight grimace.

"What's wrong, Sid?" you ask. But you think you already know the answer.

"I don't like small spaces," he whispers.

That's what you were afraid of.

"Are you claustrophobic?" Joanie asks. "Do you have a terrible fear of close spaces? Do you feel like you can't breathe? That we're running out of air in here, and you're about to suffocate.

Sid's hands reach out for Joanie's throat. You grab Sid's wrists. "Cut it out," you warn them.

This is just great, you think. Sid is about to go ballistic. You're trapped inside a cardboard box. What else could go wrong?

You're about to find out.

quote:

Joanie suddenly clutches your hand. Hard.

"Joanie," you whisper. "What is it? What's wrong?"

"It's - it's..." She can't seem to speak. She shoves her diary in your face.

"I don't want to read your dumb diary," you tell her. "It's just full of all that stupid junk you write."

She shoves the diary at you again, only harder.

"Stop it," you say firmly. "I don't have time for this. I'm trying to think of a way out of here."

You're beginning to get angry. Why does Joanie always have to act like such a jerk? Sid is about to explode. Larry and his friends have the Magic Book. It's beginning to look as if there's no way out of this mess.

Joanie's voice breaks into your thoughts.

"This isn't my diary!" she cries out. "It's the Magic Book!"

quote:

You stare at the cover of the little gold book Joanie holds in her hand. The Magic Book of Spells is written in fancy writing across the cover.

"Oh, wow," you say. "Larry and his friends have been reading your diary."

"And they were laughing!" Joanie wails.

"But what about the rabbits?" Sid asks. "If Larry didn't have the Magic Book, where did all those rabbits come from?"

"Look," you say, pointing to the words on the cardboard box. O'Connor's Pet Shop.

"We have the Magic Book," Sid says, so let's get out of here!"

"But how? Larry and his gang of jerks will still want to jump us," you remind him.

Joanie opens the book. "I think we should use a spell," she says. "It's the only way we'll escape."

You hate to admit it, but Joanie is probably right.

"Okay," you tell her. "But which spell?

Joanie reads the table of contents. "I think we should use the Spell of the Genie," she suggests.

"Wait a minute," Sid says, reading over her shoulder. "How about the Terrifying Spell?"

If you want to use the Spell of the Genie, go to PAGE 98.

If you choose the Terrifying spell, turn to PAGE 71.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Magic Book of Spells

Bad Endings
Couldn't find a way to escape the Magician's room.

Achievements

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Let us conunjure da genie.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Terrifying spell right after finding out Sid has claustrophobia sounds promising.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Let's try the Terrifying Spell. I'm pretty sure the genie will just try to stuff us in a lamp or something.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The book flat-out said to never listen to Joanie. Terrifying spell it is!

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

The book flat-out said to never listen to Joanie.

Listen to Joanie it is!

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

poisonpill posted:

Listen to Joanie it is!

I don't want to move onto the next book either. This one's too good!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Tied, next vote gets it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rebonack7 posted:

Tied, next vote gets it.

Listen to Joanie.

If the next one of these is more Werewolfery, then leaving is worse than anything any of the endings can offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Listen to Joanie by casting the genie spell.