Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

On to scarf #2!

Just kind of playing it by ear, I made a little color block pattern in mspaint and I'm following that along until I run out of yarn. Any good tricks for clean, straight edges?

Slipping the first stitch of every row, or perhaps starting an i-cord edging? You can always add an i-cord edging later to cover up the rest of it later, or do it all at the end. It has the bonus of helping the scarf not stretch out vertically as you wear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Slipping the first stitch of every row can give you a nice braid-looking edge. Just gotta remember whether you're slipping it knitwise or purlwise, which isn't an issue in garter!

Have you explored purling yet? Some people hate it, some people love it. I hated it at first and then warmed up to it. If you're interested, a very simple scarf knit on the bias (K2, increase by one stitch however you like-- knit front & back is easy-- knit however many you like up to the last four stitches, k2 together as a decrease, K2 to end the row, then flip it and purl the whole way back with no special stitches) can be a really fun way to stretch your knitting boundaries without destroying your mind.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I've done a little purling, while waiting for a skein to arrive I was toying with different stitches after I ripped my beginner square so I did a little stockinette square. It actually came out really nice and soft and cute, I just don't have the purling motion automated into my muscles yet. I also tried a fisherman's rib, which was confusing and messy at first but magically transformed into actual ribbing right before my very eyes.

I'll have to try slipping the stitch on my next scarf! Any tips for weaving in a new color yarn without having that line where they cross over?

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009
Ps, everyone, new Knitty, since it seems like a bit of a thread hobby to hate on it.

Overall, a little bit boring? Not gonna lie though, the construction on Cascadilla does look kind of interesting.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

stab stabby posted:

Ps, everyone, new Knitty, since it seems like a bit of a thread hobby to hate on it.

Overall, a little bit boring? Not gonna lie though, the construction on Cascadilla does look kind of interesting.

Habanero looks comfy but Im not sure it would be flattering on my short fat self.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I'm relatively new to knitting as well and my purl was always a bit loose until I made the Fibonacci scarf. Purling 30,000+ stitches made me a lot more confident and happy with it.

https://i.imgur.com/xvADSTL.jpg
(I'm still an idiot at bbcode after all these years)

Long straight scarves sort of burned me out in repetitiveness but now I'm happy making hats in the round.

DRINK ME fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 1, 2017

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Why is every row purled? It's like garter the hard way.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

DRINK ME posted:

I'm relatively new to knitting as well and my purl was always a bit loose until I made the Fibonacci scarf. Purling 30,000+ stitches made me a lot more confident and happy with it.

https://i.imgur.com/xvADSTL.jpg
(I'm still an idiot at bbcode after all these years)

Long straight scarves sort of burned me out in repetitiveness but now I'm happy making hats in the round.

My first knit was a different version of a Fibonacci Scarf that turned out well enough to be a shop sample. Instead of alternating colors it alternates between knit and purl, which was a great way to pick up the basics with an otherwise simple project. I used stitch markers to determine when to switch between knit and purl until I got far enough along to be able to read it.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

left_unattended posted:

Why is every row purled? It's like garter the hard way.

I actually purl faster than I knit, I sometimes turn sweaters inside out and work them that way but I'm weird. Realizing that knit on the outside == purl on the inside was a revelation for me

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I'm being offered a free Passap knitting machine from the 60s. Do I want it? Is it something a beginner could make use of?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Does it work? What kind (huge, small, round, flat, etc.) is it? Do you have storage space?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I'm getting more details in a couple days but apparently it's reasonably small and I do have space for it if it's the size she says it is and as far as I know it works.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Like you probably don't want one that will fill a room, but if it's too small, it wouldn't be useful. If it's flat rather than round, it's also less useful. At their best, they're great for doing all the boring parts of sweaters quickly. At their worst, you kind of need to accept machine repair as your new hobby. Fingers crossed yours works reliably and is a useful size and gauge! I'd really like one someday.

icehotels
Aug 10, 2014

stab stabby posted:

I thought it was just me. I do like the detail on Habanero but I don't like the length.

I've been doing lots of blankets lately. I did knit one hat for the fall, but mostly blanket squares or just straight up blankets. Right now I'm knitting a black and white chevron blanket (with red edges) because when my husband and I were watching Twin Peaks, he suggested I knit a Black Lodge inspired blanket. So we here we are.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

icehotels posted:

I thought it was just me. I do like the detail on Habanero but I don't like the length.

I've been doing lots of blankets lately. I did knit one hat for the fall, but mostly blanket squares or just straight up blankets. Right now I'm knitting a black and white chevron blanket (with red edges) because when my husband and I were watching Twin Peaks, he suggested I knit a Black Lodge inspired blanket. So we here we are.

Husband suggested you knit something black? Sever

icehotels
Aug 10, 2014

Rasczak posted:

Husband suggested you knit something black? Sever

Actually, he thought it was dark red because that's how the Black Lodge is in the newer episodes. I'm the dingus that said, "no, it's black!"

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
I'm working on the Sockmatician's Il Burato scarf, I'm about a third of the way there I think?

Trying to get it done by Christmas, I've been doing about a chart a day so I think I can do it.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

I got tired of knitting a hat that took thought so I made myself a drop stitch shawl this weekend:

Pattern is https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/west-side-slide

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

That shawl looks great! A really good color and I like the texture effect the dropped stitches give it.

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

I finished my first Geek-A-Long square! Seeing that I'm an old and have vivid memories of playing Oregon Trail in my elementary school library in 1980 (I was in 1st grade) on an Apple II, I went with this:

The letters at the bottom are kind of jacked up, but I corrected that in latter letters. All in all, I'm really happy with how it came out and have already started another one. My 11 year old daughter loves it and now I'm starting to feel like she is angling for me to make a blanket out of these for her.

Indigo Paintbrush
Aug 3, 2016

The future stands still, but we move in infinite space.
Oh my goodness, this thread is awesome. Now I have to go finish knitting something so I can post bad pictures of my less than stellar knitting :sun:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

OldNorthBridge posted:

I finished my first Geek-A-Long square! Seeing that I'm an old and have vivid memories of playing Oregon Trail in my elementary school library in 1980 (I was in 1st grade) on an Apple II, I went with this:

The letters at the bottom are kind of jacked up, but I corrected that in latter letters. All in all, I'm really happy with how it came out and have already started another one. My 11 year old daughter loves it and now I'm starting to feel like she is angling for me to make a blanket out of these for her.

I love this. I might make a "dissin Terry" version.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

I managed to get into a class for the Edinburgh Yarn Fest, which is pretty amazing considering how fast it sells out and the time difference! Too bad literally all the colorwork filled instantly but I got a drop spinning seminar anyway.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

This is only 5 years late, but I finally finished my mom's shawl.

(click to see bigger)

The pattern is Snowflakes in Cedarwoods. It feels like the end of an era--I backpacked around Eastern Europe and moved continents with this thing. Most of it was finished by the time I got to Korea, but I just hadn't felt like working on it. I finally wrapped it up this year.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
holy poo poo that's an amazing piece of work

Be proud.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

FelicityGS posted:

This is only 5 years late, but I finally finished my mom's shawl.

(click to see bigger)

The pattern is Snowflakes in Cedarwoods. It feels like the end of an era--I backpacked around Eastern Europe and moved continents with this thing. Most of it was finished by the time I got to Korea, but I just hadn't felt like working on it. I finally wrapped it up this year.

That looks huge! And beautiful.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Yeah that shawl rules. Congrats!

STEAK FOR BREAKFAST
Apr 2, 2008
Some more (unblocked) projects. Any good tutorials on blocking and caring for different types of fiber? I've found a lot of basic ones online,

Hat with a cool Russian cross-stitch pattern from http://patternmakercharts.blogspot.nl/.

Slime sweater, my own pattern. Knitted this super fast, and ended up joining an arm upside down... It's an oversized sweater so luckily the mistake isn't super visible (which is why I left it).

effika
Jun 19, 2005

STEAK FOR BREAKFAST posted:

Some more (unblocked) projects. Any good tutorials on blocking and caring for different types of fiber? I've found a lot of basic ones online,

Hat with a cool Russian cross-stitch pattern from http://patternmakercharts.blogspot.nl/.

Slime sweater, my own pattern. Knitted this super fast, and ended up joining an arm upside down... It's an oversized sweater so luckily the mistake isn't super visible (which is why I left it).

Ooh, cool stuff! I never would have noticed the sleeve on upside-down!

For blocking, you're finding lots of generic stuff because most fibers can be handled in the same way. Acrylics can be killed, but everything else is generally the same steps: get it wet, shape it or vice-versa if you don't want to soak it.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

For hats, you'll want to put it on a balloon or something. Most other stuff just lay it flat. For cotton lace, you'll generally want to starch it too. But otherwise, everything is just wet and lay flat to dry. Acrylic is the only weird one really.

That hat is super cute!!! I love your colors.

Indigo Paintbrush
Aug 3, 2016

The future stands still, but we move in infinite space.

STEAK FOR BREAKFAST posted:

I love this hat, gorgeous colors!

I'm afraid I don't know anything about blocking :yayclod:

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
Made socks but managed to make them too small for myself (argh). Luckily a friend's wife has tiny feet, so:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Made socks but managed to make them too small for myself (argh). Luckily a friend's wife has tiny feet, so:

Those are both pretty socks and a pretty cat! It sucks about making the wrong size :(

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Hello everyone!

So I'm trying to make some lifestyle changes. I've come to the conclusion that knitting is a good way to keep my hands busy while being able to show my creative side and actually produce something that is either useful or could be considered art. One of the things I want to eventually do is create Celtic art to hang on my wall.

Anyway. I went to a sewing store and the woman suggested #8 needles and some dark orange-ish autumn colored #4 yarn to start out with. I went to a coffee shop and watched some youtube videos and started to begin. Holy poo poo this is a lot more difficult than I thought. I sucked hard. Two young college girls were studying next to me and were quite curious that some dude was in a coffee shop trying to knit. I was sharing my failures with them which they found quite funny.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to begin for a complete beginner? I did some cast on and the first video I saw I just couldn't get it right. Then I saw another where you just go around your thumb and I was able to do it and actually got fast at it. The actually knits... not so much. So, any suggestions on where to start from square one?

Thanks knitters!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
You might be starting a little small, my first knit was on size ten needles with chunky yarn and I just kinda powered my way through a garter stitch scarf. Two scarves and three ties later ("I'll take a break from scarves", I thought, embarking on a series of tiny scarves), I can do both a garter stitch and a seed stitch in my sleep. The big needles and yarn helped a lot because I could really see what I was doing, so maybe try scaling up a bit (and do your first knit at home so you can kludge it up at home).

QuietMisdreavus
May 12, 2013

I'm fine. Nothing to worry about.
When i got started, i just went through the basic videos on little swatches and didn't actually start a pattern until i was comfortable with the basic setup. It really does take some getting used to, though. I just had some #7 needles and some DK weight yarn that i had stolen from my sister when i moved out of town. (I think that's just a little smaller than what you have? I dunno how yarn sizes work out with just numbers like that.) It's an exercise in swearing until you get it down.

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force
I can't vouch for these knitting videos but his crochet ones are great so I assume he puts the same effort and care into the knit series. Let's Knit Series: Learn How to Knit for Beginners: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjzOIYIE0n52RTAf1aqEnZohHgR4ilmv7

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
Il Burato is getting pretty long, I think I'm about half done. Trying to get it done in time to wear it home for Christmas.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

^^^ hrrrrnggh that is beautiful. Is it done stranded or double knit or what?

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Hello everyone!

So I'm trying to make some lifestyle changes. I've come to the conclusion that knitting is a good way to keep my hands busy while being able to show my creative side and actually produce something that is either useful or could be considered art. One of the things I want to eventually do is create Celtic art to hang on my wall.

Anyway. I went to a sewing store and the woman suggested #8 needles and some dark orange-ish autumn colored #4 yarn to start out with. I went to a coffee shop and watched some youtube videos and started to begin. Holy poo poo this is a lot more difficult than I thought. I sucked hard. Two young college girls were studying next to me and were quite curious that some dude was in a coffee shop trying to knit. I was sharing my failures with them which they found quite funny.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to begin for a complete beginner? I did some cast on and the first video I saw I just couldn't get it right. Then I saw another where you just go around your thumb and I was able to do it and actually got fast at it. The actually knits... not so much. So, any suggestions on where to start from square one?

Thanks knitters!

To give you a starting point and to be more specific than I was in the CC thread, knit and purl are your basic stitches which create every pattern and casting on is probably the trickiest part for a beginner to learn. If you were using your thumb to cast on, you were probably using a long tail cast on, hopefully knowing terminology will make it a bit easier to look for videos. It's not insurmountable, it's just that the cast on and first couple rows are going to be your ugliest and thus the hardest to knit into. Once you get past that, it's much easier. The name of the game is practice practice practice. If you make anything worth keeping on your first several tries, you're some kind of savant.

Watch lots of videos, look at written tutorials, and always practice what you see; everyone learns differently so what might be a great tutorial for one person might be terrible for you. It doesn't mean that you're bad at it, it just means that's not a good way for you to learn. Several of the yarn brands actually have good, clear written tutorials and a lot of beginner patterns, so no poo poo check out like lionbrand.com for the basics. You should be able to look at tutorials without registering for pattern access, but it's free and you can use your Ravelry burner email. (If you use Gmail, add +lionbrand or +knitting to your email address when you subscribe like pennywise+knitting@gmail.com so 1. you can set up a filter for emails specifically for that account and 2. if you start getting spam, you know who sold your email address.) That will get you started at the very least on terminology so you know what to look for in videos if you need to see something done another way. When I first started I often had to see something a couple different ways before it clicked.

I swear there are almost as many ways to do a particular thing as there are knitters. For example, Magic Hate Ball started on size 10 needles and QuietMisdreavus started on size 7. My first scarf was knit on size 13 at the recommendation of some rando and those were way too big, I was happiest when I discovered double pointed needles and sock yarn.

It's all a matter of doing it and screwing it up lots of times. There will be plenty of times you have to rip back your work or just accept an error.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

I'd also make sure to start with *cheap* yarn in a fairly pale color so you can see what you're doing. Striped or multicolored yarn is great because each stitch will sometimes be a different color so you can clearly see what you're doing (or get even more confused, everyone is different!). I've never been able to figure out techniques from videos, if you're having issues the people at the yarn store may be willing to demonstrate stuff in person. Personally I was taught the knit stitch by my mom, accidentally taught myself to purl, then went off on my own special journey of doing backwards purls and knitting through the back loop without ever turning the work around. This worked fine for me for a long time but made patterns difficult to read so I switched to a more normal method but there's all kinds of ways of doing it, you could even try learning both continental and British (or whatever it's called) and see what setup is easiest for you. Basically right now everyone's giving you all kinds of info to think about but sitting down and trying it is the best way to figure out what works, so you're on the right track already :)