Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Habeas Corpses is over slightly earlier than it technically should have been, but it would have ended the same either way.

I hope Mac reopens the thread so we can discuss it a bit more in there, I'm worried I accidentally prompted an early closing

you monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Both the games that are looking for players seem really good, but I'm on vacation in the States, in a little over a week, and I won't be playing mafia... Will either of them end before that? Can I get a special will die soon role?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

lol why does jakep keep getting banned / probated

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I thought he got trumpbanned last year

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Habeas Corpses is over slightly earlier than it technically should have been, but it would have ended the same either way.

I hope Mac reopens the thread so we can discuss it a bit more in there, I'm worried I accidentally prompted an early closing

Yeah. I would very much like to discuss the game

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Yeah I want to brag about my scum hunting skills

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

its amazing how awful you can be as scum and not face any consequences at all

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

Yeah I want to brag about my scum hunting skills

u have none

Jamuraan
Oct 10, 2005

Jamuraan, J.D. in Critical Reasoning and Logic
Ask me about how good I am at party games! Please god ask me about how good I am at party games!
I feel like goons focus on bad habits (lurking, sniping, low effort posting) for scum hunting rather than actual scum tells (exaggerating for effect, straight up lying, combativeness, personal or emotional attacks)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I never knew why bminus got targeted instead of me in day 1 tbh

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Jamuraan posted:

I feel like goons focus on bad habits (lurking, sniping, low effort posting) for scum hunting rather than actual scum tells (exaggerating for effect, straight up lying, combativeness, personal or emotional attacks)

Cause those aren't scum tells for a lot of people?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

how to tell if diqnol is scum: he never posts

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I used to post a ton as scum :shrug:

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

players generally can't make reads for poo poo anymore

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
You can catch someone completely lying these days and people shrug it off. Full blown contradictions literally don't matter

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

You can catch someone completely lying these days and people shrug it off. Full blown contradictions literally don't matter

Depends who it is, really.

and I think that's more the fact that sometimes town lies for no reason which cheapens when you actually catch someone lying more than people just being bad at mafia.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

My usual operating assumption is that scum are cautious players and town are reckless players. Both can make bad cases, but one is less liable to expose themselves to criticism

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Maybe town shouldn't lie!

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
When I started, my first game was a GBS recruitment game run by KilGrey and comodded by Sophia. They answered questions patiently and with the perfect tone to not give away any hint of the Scum. They did frequent votecounts by hand, they did prompt flips and opened the game right on time. I had huge respect for them and wanted to do justice to their game. I tried my best and really cared because I felt like I was part of something really cool and that the other players also cared and took the experience seriously. I was hooked.

When I got into tradgames Mafia games, I was frequently starstruck, because I was playing games with people who had status and respect in the community, and who were playing the game with flair and finesse. When I was in a game with Dragnix I wanted senpai to notice me. When I got an opportunity to comod France 4 for the famous EccoRaven, I stepped up and did my duties with huge pride. When Womens Rights launched Presidents, we spontaneously started roleplaying our presidents complete with custom avatars signing each post, and everyone was trying to show off and outdo everyone else.

There were hot and sincere debates about scumhunting and casemaking and modding and setup design and roles.

It seems like times and the community have really changed since those days.

Edit: Maybe it's me, it was my fault, maybe I ruined it.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Jamuraan posted:

actual scum tells

combativeness

Uh-

Asiina posted:

Cause those aren't scum tells for a lot of people?

efb

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Quidthulhu posted:

Maybe town shouldn't lie!

incorrect

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Lumpen posted:

When I started, my first game was a GBS recruitment game run by KilGrey and comodded by Sophia. They answered questions patiently and with the perfect tone to not give away any hint of the Scum. They did frequent votecounts by hand, they did prompt flips and opened the game right on time. I had huge respect for them and wanted to do justice to their game. I tried my best and really cared because I felt like I was part of something really cool and that the other players also cared and took the experience seriously. I was hooked.

When I got into tradgames Mafia games, I was frequently starstruck, because I was playing games with people who had status and respect in the community, and who were playing the game with flair and finesse. When I was in a game with Dragnix I wanted senpai to notice me. When I got an opportunity to comod France 4 for the famous EccoRaven, I stepped up and did my duties with huge pride. When Womens Rights launched Presidents, we spontaneously started roleplaying our presidents complete with custom avatars signing each post, and everyone was trying to show off and outdo everyone else.

There were hot and sincere debates about scumhunting and casemaking and modding and setup design and roles.

It seems like times and the community have really changed since those days.

Edit: Maybe it's me, it was my fault, maybe I ruined it.

all of that sounds really awful

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
Eh, I guess there were always lots of plain ol' Mafia games too, and Myst appears to show that this community can still rise to create massively effortful things still. I am just wistful for my own days gone by I think when I had the time and inclination to make intricate spreadsheets and art posts for games.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Lumpen posted:

I am just wistful for my own days gone by I think when I had the time and inclination to make intricate spreadsheets and art posts for games.

Read Genesis Mafia

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

gg hc peeps

woulda been nice if the two most important town roles didn't let themselves be killed because lurking

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Habeas Corpus thread is reopened, FYI.

Also, The Room has ended in a scum victory!

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I too remember the good old days. Though a little bit ago I went through and read a bunch of the classics, and we were just as poo poo posty and snipey as it can be today, only with the added juvenile flavor since all of us I think were much younger at the time. I've also had really amazing and thoughtful games more recently as well. Times change, the communities change, and for some reason I'm still here, playing and every once in a while modding games.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

gif Probst posted:

in a completely unrelated post, i am also going to announce starting with the end result of the room we will now be tracking individual player performances at the end of games to find out who is good and who is not good at mafia. i top the list with 11 wins and 0 losses.

Podima posted:

Habeas Corpus thread is reopened, FYI.

Also, The Room has ended in a scum victory!

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

gg hc peeps

woulda been nice if the two most important town roles didn't let themselves be killed because lurking

i was under the impression that 1) i made enough posts and 2) the da just changed

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Max posted:

gently caress it:

Contact in Cudłaty a 15 person closed setup game of completely normal mafia is now open for sign ups.

Do the thing if you wish.

PMush's game has filled but I still need about 7 more players.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

asiina and tobbs were the final two scum and hit their win condition, but it came at the cost of lying. therefore we will put the game on a quality play curve and rank that way. im no. 1.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
That seems fair.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Jamuraan posted:

I agree with this fwiw.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Murmur Twin posted:

I agree with this fwiw.

i make my cases based on actual scum tells then get called scum for not casing lurkers and shitposters

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Max posted:

I too remember the good old days. Though a little bit ago I went through and read a bunch of the classics, and we were just as poo poo posty and snipey as it can be today, only with the added juvenile flavor since all of us I think were much younger at the time. I've also had really amazing and thoughtful games more recently as well. Times change, the communities change, and for some reason I'm still here, playing and every once in a while modding games.

I agree with Max.

Jamuraan
Oct 10, 2005

Jamuraan, J.D. in Critical Reasoning and Logic
Ask me about how good I am at party games! Please god ask me about how good I am at party games!
I am by no means the best mafia player. I think I'm probably one of the worst because I don't use very much creativity. I'm not even sure if there's ever a 100% scum tell, although I highly believe lying and lurking are the 2 most detrimental actions a townie can do in this game (both can be forgiven, but should be avoided at all costs.)

I've said it before, but I really enjoyed the IRC games, mostly because of the ability to trust your gut and to see how different players are when they must post immediately, without time to carefully craft their posts. Many games would end so quickly with a town win because people acted so strange as scum, and the timing between games made it far more obvious.

Lurking was so easy to punish it became almost completely nonexistent. I think lurking is just inherent to the game in the forum setting. I know for me it's just difficult to get into a game sometimes, especially because I don't know how most players act. I don't understand why some players get a pass for blatantly lying.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Max posted:

gently caress it:

Contact in Cudłaty a 15 person closed setup game of completely normal mafia is now open for sign ups.

Do the thing if you wish.

Bumping this again. Just need 4 more before we can start (or three if Gif wants to just play instead of being a replacement.)

Max
Nov 30, 2002

3 More!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Max posted:

Bumping this again. Just need 4 more before we can start (or three if Gif wants to just play instead of being a replacement.)

Cant commit because of nba starting this week otherwise i would. Unless i finish up early in my other game then totally sign me up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

I return because I realized that my job gives me unmitigated internet access and I miss y'all.