Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Jedah posted:

Whatever happened to the guy trying to do an all Jester run? Did he spontaneously combust?

I got super addicted to Cook Serve Delicious 2, so it's on the backburner for now. I don't think the all-jester run was ever going to make it past the darkest dungeon in any case, and this game gets kind of repetitive when you use the same exact party every single time. I lost one level 0 jester while my main party was idling for a free level, so at some point i will see how well level 3 fools can handle veteran dungeons (probably not that well).

Long run I'm almost certainly going to need to do something silly like recruit non-jesters and have them do the bare minimum necessary to refresh the carriage since I don't think I'm going to be able to maintain a satisfactory fresh-jester-to-dead-jester ratio.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Makaris posted:

He became president. Hey-o!

Jedah fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 13, 2017

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

:golfclap: well done.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

So today I finally killed that damned baron and it was spectacular. Everyone died except for one guy. One motherfucker took the baron down from 87 health to 0.

This guy would not loving die. He survived on death's door for three crowd pleasers and nailed a critical heal with exsanguinate, restoring his HP to full. Every turn the baron brought him down to under half and he would exsanguinate again and get it all back while the baron took his 7 damage with every action. 8 or so turns later this motherfucker was at full and the baron was dead.

The flagella man is too drat good. I suddenly realize why I have never lost one of these guys. I need to tone him down.

Still, gently caress the baron. That guy was absolutely no fun to fight and cost me 6 guys before Runeville here took a poo poo all over him. Nothing really worked against him.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Any good mods that are recommended? I've played before a while ago with Lighter Dungeon but the mod author discontinued it because apparently this new Radiant mode makes it a bit redundant. But yeah, any cool class mods/reskins/etc for someone coming back in who hasn't played Crimson Court before?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Killing Necromancer 2.0 was followed by 5 minutes of slowly chipping away at his goons with my dodge-stacked grave robber while my post-werewolf abomination repeatedly healed himself and absorbed the blows. My poor jester, he didn't make it.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

snoremac posted:

Killing Necromancer 2.0 was followed by 5 minutes of slowly chipping away at his goons with my dodge-stacked grave robber while my post-werewolf abomination repeatedly healed himself and absorbed the blows. My poor jester, he didn't make it.

For future reference, you can run away from a boss fight after killing the main boss and it still counts as winning.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
you don't get the loot from the battle but lol who cares loot is everywhere in this game

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

FreeKillB posted:

I got super addicted to Cook Serve Delicious 2, so it's on the backburner for now. I don't think the all-jester run was ever going to make it past the darkest dungeon in any case, and this game gets kind of repetitive when you use the same exact party every single time.
I loved the first game, so I can't blame you at all. All Jester run was a fun experiment, nobody in the thread wants you to torture yourself and try to go the distance. But some good death screenshots or seeing a full wipe would be funny. :getin:

The Skeleton King posted:

So today I finally killed that damned baron and it was spectacular. Everyone died except for one guy. One motherfucker took the baron down from 87 health to 0.
The Baron is indeed a bastard, good job. That story also kinda supports my theory from the last page that the Flagellant is the best support class for the Crimson Court, he owns that place.

snoremac posted:

My poor jester, he didn't make it.
At least the clown served his purpose. On the bright side, now you've got a slot open for the Dogman, who can also stress heal, and do everything else better than the Jester.

Drewjitsu posted:

:golfclap: well done.
Thanks, I probably shouldn't mix politics with our thread but everything about Kelly's body language screamed "Hopeless."

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

snoremac posted:

I just read how the hunger mechanic works and I'm not a fan. I thought the frequency might relate to hero stats, but random chance? Time to double my food stocks permanently I guess.

Yeah, for medium length dungeons I tend to take a stack and a half of food (two full for long), if only for the stress heal partway through if I don't get a particularly bad streak of luck with hunger checks. Though depending on the dungeon, I sometimes can bring less and just carry some extra herbs to purify curios for a massive amount of food (warrens and weald in particular).

Also I still think the jester can be decent, since his stress heal also gives resistance + is reliable unlike dogman's. His party-wide speed/acc/crit buff is pretty good too and helps to minimize relying on rng, while also giving you extra crits which helps your stress management further. Then when need be, he can bleed guys and help finish off enemies that are low. Though he definitely shouldn't be treated as a main support and should have something like an arbalist to top people up (alternatively, a second row vestal, since she can take advantage of the bonus crit with her party heals, healing stress even more, though I've rarely used a vestal in the second row, even with the trinkets to support this so it's me just theorizing). Easy dungeons he's not very good though, since all of his skills are still weak as piss and stress isn't nearly as big of a factor. That and enemy speed seems to scale faster than yours, which makes his buff more useful as you get into higher dungeon levels.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Regarding hunger checks & paying for food, you could try to grab one of these trinkets: Fasting Seal (-100% Food consumed, -100% DMG when starving, +5 DODGE), Bloodthirst Ring (-100% Food consumed, +10% MAX HP, -25% Heals Received). I've found they're helpful for saving cash and extending your money runs with the Antiquarian, give her one of those and a +healing/SPD trinket, then hide her behind a sturdy hero.

If you can grind and acquire the Bank district, it'll help you pay for all quest provisions. The Granary provides food as well, but its overall value isn't nearly as useful as the Bank. Bank, Cartographer's Camp, Sanguine Vintners (assuming DLC is enabled), Granary, Puppet Theater is a pretty good order for your initial districts.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

snoremac posted:

My poor jester, he didn't make it.

"oh" "no"

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

how dare you

I will never betray him for dogman

I did though.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Hunger events also encourage you to ration your food for actual hunger events and not just unload 4 units of food on a unit just because he's 8HP down or whatever. Not being able to meet the hunger event means a big stress malus and using the food during the hunger event gives the equivalent of 1 food to each hero, also healing them. So when I have a hero that is low on health I'll hold off using what little food I have to heal him just in case I get a hunger event the next couple of tiles.

Though given how many ways the game penalizes you via hunger I wish there was a positive trait that gave you bonus health from food consumed.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

I swear, I'd never heard the word "malus" used before reading this thread (for hundreds of pages), I've become enlightened by fine posters like Panfilo.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's a perfectly jesterlent word

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Not being able to meet the hunger event means a big stress malus and using the food during the hunger event gives the equivalent of 1 food to each hero, also healing them.

Though given how many ways the game penalizes you via hunger I wish there was a positive trait that gave you bonus health from food consumed.

Food is actually weird that way, because the healing you receive when you manually eat some seems to be rounded up, while the healing from hunger events is rounded down. It's usually only something you want to pay attention to when you're running a party that's low on healing, but in that case you should pay attention if +max hp trinkets or stuff like the Crimson Curse can raise or lower your thresholds (19-21, 39-41, etc.) The Recovery Charm is the most practical trinket that increases food healing. If you have an Arbalest in the party, you can eat food after combat while her +healing received buff is still active.

I think under normal circumstances, the only class where the +max hp quirk puts you over the threshold for food healing is the Plague Doctor.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I'm godawful at strategizing. After losing to the wizened hag I returned, partly due to roster restraints, with a dogman, PD...and two lepers. Lepers can't attack position 3 or 4, so they were dead weight. She was fairly resistant to the PD's blight, so dogman was the chief attacker. It was shameful. The only solace is the dogman, the only one who died, was fresh off the wagon. I got her the third time round with some ranged attackers (Leper, Occultist, PD, Arbalist).

Early on I was thinking "why the hell would you bother wasting resources on expanding the roster beyond 16?" I get it now.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Does the shieldbreaker mean there's likely another expansion on the way?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Weapon and armor upgrades should appear as loot. If previous heroes have died in the dungeons before you start a new game, their poo poo should still be there too, right?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Does the shieldbreaker mean there's likely another expansion on the way?

Yeah, it was mentioned the next DLC will involve snakes and I guess desert themes, so wooo.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

snoremac posted:

I'm godawful at strategizing. After losing to the wizened hag I returned, partly due to roster restraints, with a dogman, PD...and two lepers. Lepers can't attack position 3 or 4, so they were dead weight. She was fairly resistant to the PD's blight, so dogman was the chief attacker. It was shameful. The only solace is the dogman, the only one who died, was fresh off the wagon. I got her the third time round with some ranged attackers (Leper, Occultist, PD, Arbalist).

Early on I was thinking "why the hell would you bother wasting resources on expanding the roster beyond 16?" I get it now.

:rip: Dogman, gone too soon. Don't worry, during your first run you're supposed to lose a ton of characters. I know I did.

You're on the right track by prioritizing the Stage Coach, it's probably the most important thing to upgrade, with Blacksmith/Guild being a close second. Then, once you get Experienced Recruits, you've got a chance of recruiting heroes who already have weapon/armor/skill upgrades, which will save you a ton of money. Losing somebody isn't as brutal if you can grab a well-upgraded hero immediately after your mission.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Jedah posted:

Regarding hunger checks & paying for food, you could try to grab one of these trinkets: Fasting Seal (-100% Food consumed, -100% DMG when starving, +5 DODGE), Bloodthirst Ring (-100% Food consumed, +10% MAX HP, -25% Heals Received). I've found they're helpful for saving cash and extending your money runs with the Antiquarian, give her one of those and a +healing/SPD trinket, then hide her behind a sturdy hero.

I used to think the -100%DMG when starving meant the bearer would deal 100% less damage if they were starving to counterbalance how good the trinket was. Turns out it just means that person just gives the middle finger to hunger events. Both of the ones you listed are incredibly good and save you bag space and/or use excess food for healing while also giving good secondary effects.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Jedah posted:

:rip: Dogman, gone too soon. Don't worry, during your first run you're supposed to lose a ton of characters. I know I did.

You're on the right track by prioritizing the Stage Coach, it's probably the most important thing to upgrade, with Blacksmith/Guild being a close second. Then, once you get Experienced Recruits, you've got a chance of recruiting heroes who already have weapon/armor/skill upgrades, which will save you a ton of money. Losing somebody isn't as brutal if you can grab a well-upgraded hero immediately after your mission.

Yeah, I upgraded to level 2 hero recruits and it's a lifesaver. They even upgrade all the skills which I'd be iffy about spending money on at the guild, so it's good to have the chance to experiment with them a bit more.

I also went this whole time thinking only the coach, guild and blacksmith could be upgraded. I started wondering what the heck the point of the busts were and, well. I wish the graves could be upgraded to resurrect my fallen jester though.

Also had my first full team death! My absolute level 5 best against beguiling siren. I could've retreated and saved 3 but wanted to save the seduced hero. I've fought her twice and the first time was a painful lesson in increasing blood resistance, the second in increasing debuff resistance.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 15, 2017

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Pumpkinreaper posted:

I used to think the -100%DMG when starving meant the bearer would deal 100% less damage if they were starving to counterbalance how good the trinket was. Turns out it just means that person just gives the middle finger to hunger events. Both of the ones you listed are incredibly good and save you bag space and/or use excess food for healing while also giving good secondary effects.

Wait, it's not what it does? Wth Red Hook, write clear descriptions for your stuff!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Fun fact, it used to not have that -100% damage when starving perk, which meant that even though the wearer didn't need to eat, they still took psychosomatic damage if everyone ELSE starved.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It probably should read "-100% DMG during hunger events" or starve events something like that. Just as compact, but slightly less confusing.

edit: Or the same thing but it says "0%" instead of "-100%" implying that the deficit does not mean the player's damage dealing stat. Or like, anything besides what it does say, really

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Budgie Jumping posted:

Weapon and armor upgrades should appear as loot. If previous heroes have died in the dungeons before you start a new game, their poo poo should still be there too, right?

I had always wished you could find unique weapons and armor running quests or from the nomad wagon, because only having 2 trinket slots is really limiting and rails the player into minmaxing since you often can't afford to invest in something really situational like virtue chance.

However given how questionable trinket balancing is, turning the game into Diablo Lite with Itemization would probably just make things worse.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

I had always wished you could find unique weapons and armor running quests or from the nomad wagon, because only having 2 trinket slots is really limiting and rails the player into minmaxing since you often can't afford to invest in something really situational like virtue chance.

However given how questionable trinket balancing is, turning the game into Diablo Lite with Itemization would probably just make things worse.

The original pitch for the game talked about that exact thing.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Kitfox88 posted:

Any good mods that are recommended? I've played before a while ago with Lighter Dungeon but the mod author discontinued it because apparently this new Radiant mode makes it a bit redundant. But yeah, any cool class mods/reskins/etc for someone coming back in who hasn't played Crimson Court before?

I would also like to know this. Kinda want to get back to playing Darkest Dungeon

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Only class mods I've seen that aren't either low-effort or some stupid anime poo poo are the Falconer, the Lamia and the Pit Fighter. I'm using all three.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I can't find info on this: if the shrieker flies away does it mean it's going to steal trinkets again in the future? Or was that it? It wasn't much of a fight.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

snoremac posted:

I can't find info on this: if the shrieker flies away does it mean it's going to steal trinkets again in the future? Or was that it? It wasn't much of a fight.

Shrieker respawns even if you kill it. Just focus on the nest since that drops some gems.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

peer posted:

Only class mods I've seen that aren't either low-effort or some stupid anime poo poo are the Falconer, the Lamia and the Pit Fighter. I'm using all three.

Grabbed the first two since they look pretty cool, thanks mate.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The Shrieker is also a way to retrieve lost trinkets. As soon as you lose a total of 8 due to retreating after someone dies or TPKs, you can fight it to retrieve them.

That's one way to farm for Shrieker quirks, if you're willing to kill a lot of rookies...

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Uh yeah, 'willing'.

Is there any disincentive to leaving curios until you've completed the mission so you don't have to toss away so many treasures for the sake of food, torches etc.?

I've seen battles pop up in hallways when I retread old ground, but that's it. I hate having to throw away thousands of coins just in case I need a shovel later...

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Whenever you enter a room, there's a chance for new trap, fight and hunger tiles to spawn in corridors you've already been through. Leaving curios for later is a legitimate thing to do as long as you have enough food, but once you run out it's not worth the extra stress hit you take from hunger.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The game tries to push you to leave asap once you're done with a mission but you don't really have to. You should only stick around if the mission itself went well though imo. And if you really wanna powergame, you may as well snuff out your torch once you've completed the last marked battle, as long as your guys can handle the increased stress. But you should keep your torches after doing so, so that you can light back up if you get into a newly spawned fight.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Okay, cool. I've started bringing an antiquarian on most apprentice and veteran missions to stack up on goods and am finally receiving some big windfalls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Ah poo poo. I thought the hamlet assault would be like the shrieker where it's just the boss fight so I didn't buy any torches or shovels. When I saw the initial map I thought "this might still be okay," but no, it wasn't.