Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Highway just to be contrarian :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

achtungnight posted:

The bandits are most likely in the forest. Let’s go say hi.

The Chasm of Doom posted:

The Ruanon Forest is a tangle of pale grey tree trunks of every shape and size. Passage through these densely packed, mist-enshrouded trees is painfully slow on horseback, and you are soon forced to dismount and lead your horse by the reins.

Healing: +1 EP (32/32).
This is taking forever and the men keep asking "are we there yet?" Are we sure we want to stay in the forest or do we want to take the highway after all?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Ok, screw the woods. Let's take the highway, hopefully not to Hell.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Tiggum posted:

This is taking forever and the men keep asking "are we there yet?" Are we sure we want to stay in the forest or do we want to take the highway after all?

We will turn this mission around and go back home if they don't keep it down back there. Stay in the forest, goddammit, and refuse to ask for directions.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Stay in the forest.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Stay in the forest.
Taking the highway would have skipped us forward a bit, but there is an alternate path that we might find by going this way.

After half an hour, one of your men reports sighting a track ahead. The narrow dirt path leads off to the east and the west.
If we had Tracking then we'd have some information to go on here, but we don't so we just have to pick east or west.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Left West.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
East is the Beest

And also left given we're travelling south.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

West!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Go West

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

East is the Beest

And also left given we're travelling south.

You soon arrive at the entrance to a mine. Two sets of footprints disappear into the gloom of the tunnel and, judging by their shape and size, they were made by two of your missing scouts. You shout into the mine but there is no reply to your call.
We could follow our scouts into the mine or we could turn around and go west instead.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Into the mine!

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Those scouts are mine, in we go!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Mine. There might be loot.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Let's explore the deeps!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

It is impossible to enter the mine on horseback, and you are forced to leave your horses outside. The mine is very dark but you are quick to notice that unlit torches hang from the walls at regular intervals. You each take a torch and light them before continuing. In the dim glow you discover footprints leading to a collapsed section of the tunnel. They continue all the way to the top of a huge mound of earth, which reaches almost to the ceiling, leaving only a small gap.
Squeeze through the gap or go back and head west?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Squeeze through.

I'm guessing we can, but not our Rangers.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Let no crack keep secrets from us.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Our elite scouts are morons. Squeeze through the gap.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

This hole was made for me!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The tunnel continues to descend for several hundred yards until you reach a wide chamber with a timber floor. Two pairs of footprints can clearly be seen in the silt covering the rotten planks; to your horror, they both seem to disappear into a gaping hole.

Inching your way to the jagged edge, you can make out two bodies lying at the bottom of a muddy shaft. You have found your scouts, but they are beyond all help. As the soft timbers begin to sag, you retreat from the edge to avoid a similar fate. Beyond the hole are two exits from this chamber. One passage heads towards the east, the other south.
In this instance Tracking would actually tell us exactly which way to go, but since we don't have it it's another blind choice. East or south?

Rangers: 4
Missing: 4
Dead: 5
Sent home: 37

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Go east, young Wolf.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
East. And I guess none of these Rangers have Tracking either. :(

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

East.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The tunnel soon arrives at the base of a mine shaft where a ladder is fixed to the wall. This ascends to another tunnel thirty feet above, which disappears into the west wall. There is no other exit from the shaft.
Do we climb the ladder or turn around and take the south tunnel instead?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Climb!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Gone this far, climb

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Climb.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
While I will admit to general ignorance of book IV, I have never explored the mine before. So south.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Climb the ladder

Kangra
May 7, 2012

South!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

achtungnight posted:

Climb the ladder
Up we go.

An overwhelming stench of dampness and decay pervades the shaft. You decide to send one of your men up the ladder to make sure that it is still secure. All seems well, for he soon reaches the next level and signals you all to follow. The tunnel on the upper level leads to an oval-shaped, rough-hewn chamber where a strange silky fluid coats the floor.

Your Kai Discipline of Animal Kinship allows you to recognize the silky fluid; it is the trail of a Stoneworm, a dangerous subterranean predator. You warn your men not to step in the slime, for it is highly corrosive. No sooner have the words left your mouth than there is a sudden and ghastly noise.

A hideous groan reverberates through the chamber making everyone freeze in mid-step. With mounting horror, you watch as the far wall suddenly moves towards you. A crack appears, widening to reveal a row of razor-sharp teeth. You have awoken a hungry Stoneworm, and it intends to feast on your flesh. Your men unsheathe their swords and prepare for combat; it is too late for them to turn and run.
Too late for them, but not for us. Will we stay and fight with our remaining rangers, or turn around and run back to the ladder?

Animal Kinship, in this instance, is utterly useless. It does tell us that the slime is corrosive, but we can't act on that information in any way.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Fight! Anyone of you Rangers have worms as a favored enemy?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Brave sir Lone Wolf ran away!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I asume if we fight we risk loosing some of oir gear ala rust monster. Run Tactical retreat.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

This is the scene where Lone Wolf and his men fight the slimy worm in the cave.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Kill

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Kill that worm!

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Fight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mikl posted:

Brave sir Lone Wolf ran away!
We are a credit to our order.

As you run towards the ladder, the dreadful screams of your dying men claw at your ears, as they are eaten alive. You stop and stare back into the tunnel. The Stoneworm is now barely twenty feet away and is slithering towards you at a terrifying pace. You know that you will never reach the ladder in time to escape. In desperation, you raise your weapon and prepare for combat. The creature is immune to Mindblast.

Stoneworm: COMBAT SKILL 15 ENDURANCE 38

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 27 ENDURANCE 32
Stoneworm: COMBAT SKILL 15 ENDURANCE 38
Combat Ratio: 11+

We roll: 3
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 27 ENDURANCE 30
Stoneworm: COMBAT SKILL 15 ENDURANCE 27

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 27 ENDURANCE 28
Stoneworm: COMBAT SKILL 15 ENDURANCE 16

We roll: 1
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 27 ENDURANCE 25
Stoneworm: COMBAT SKILL 15 ENDURANCE 7

We roll: 10
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 27 ENDURANCE 25
Stoneworm: COMBAT SKILL 15 ENDURANCE 0

The foul creature lets out a ghastly shriek and dies, but its huge slimy body trembles and convulses for several minutes. You wait for a while before daring to squeeze past it to the chamber beyond. No trace of your men remains. Their bodies lie partially digested inside the Stoneworm carcass. With nausea rising in your throat, you turn and flee from this terrible chamber.

Healing: +1 EP (26/32).

You follow the tunnel for three hours before arriving at a great hall where several tunnels, all at different depths, meet up. A series of wide stone ramps connect each tunnel to those immediately above and below. Four levels below you, teams of men are pushing wagonloads of ore. Others, dressed in red armour, stand guard over the wagon-pushers and urge them on with whips and curses.

The tunnel in which you now stand is on the highest level. You realize that the only way you can proceed is by descending the ramp to a tunnel on a lower level. To your dismay, you notice that each of the ramps is guarded by armed men. Inching forward, you peer over the edge of the ramp; two guards are sitting near the tunnel entrance below. They are laughing and giggling and pointing at an empty wine flagon that lies at their feet. After watching them for several minutes, you decide they are probably too drunk to notice you. You decide to make a dash for the tunnel.

Healing: +1 EP (27/32).

Using your Kai Discipline of Camouflage you slip past the guards and enter the tunnel unseen. It is wide and illuminated by a line of wall torches, whose guttering flames crackle and sputter noisily. You soon arrive at a junction where the tunnel narrows and divides in two.

Healing: +1 EP (28/32).

Your Kai Discipline of Sixth Sense alerts you to the fact that the right tunnel is newly excavated, and you sense that it has yet to be completed. Rather than get caught in a dead end, you push on along the left tunnel.

Healing: +1 EP (29/32).

The tunnel soon emerges into a large chamber divided by a deep mine shaft. A dark-skinned warrior in tatty leather armour stands guard at the entrance to the wooden bridge spanning the shaft. He is whittling a block of wood and grumbling to himself about how unfair it is that he is given the most boring duties. On the far side of the chamber a tunnel disappears into the west wall. You know that if you are to reach the tunnel, you must get past the guard and across the bridge.

Healing: +1 EP (30/32).

Using your Kai skill of Camouflage, you blend into the shadows of the chamber wall and slowly inch your way nearer and nearer to the bridge. Suddenly, the guard puts down his block of wood and turns his back: he is rummaging in his haversack for some food. You see your chance and sprint towards the bridge, your weapon poised to strike down the unwary guard.

Healing: +1 EP (31/32).

The guard hears you approaching and spins round. He stares at you aghast and unsheathes his sword. Due to the surprise of your attack, you may ignore any ENDURANCE points lost in the first round of combat.

Bridge Guard: COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 23

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 31
Bridge Guard: COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 23
Combat Ratio: 11+

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 31
Bridge Guard: COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 12

We roll: 5
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 30
Bridge Guard: COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 0

You roll the body over onto its side and make a quick search. You discover:
  • 3 Gold Crowns
  • Enough food for 1 Meal
  • Sword
You may take whatever you wish before crossing the bridge, but remember to make the necessary adjustments to your Action Chart. Upon reaching the far side, you detect the sound of running footsteps somewhere in the distance. You decide against waiting to see who it is and leave the chamber by a tunnel in the west wall.

Healing: +1 EP (31/32).

Less than fifty yards along the tunnel wall you notice a lever. Your Kai instincts make you naturally suspicious of this unusual feature, and you scour the floor looking for evidence of a trap. You find nothing, but a glance at the roof reveals the underside of a wide portcullis hidden between two beams.

You pull the lever and the portcullis falls, sealing off the tunnel behind you. To make sure you will not be followed, you smash the lever with a wedge of stone before continuing along the tunnel.

Healing: +1 EP (32/32).

You are hungry and must now eat a Meal or lose 3 ENDURANCE points. (If you possess the Kai Discipline of Hunting, you are unable to use it within the Maaken Mines to hunt for food.) You then continue along the tunnel, which runs for several miles before eventually arriving at a long, deserted gallery.

A line of empty ore wagons lie parked along a stretch of track that disappears into the west wall of this gallery. Above the arched tunnel, a flight of wooden stairs leads to a smaller passage lit by a sputtering torch.

You stay hidden in the shadows, watching the gallery for half an hour before you are satisfied that it is safe to enter.
I'm assuming that we took and ate that Meal and took the Gold Crowns but left the Sword, but if you'd like to do otherwise then please vote for whatever you prefer.

At this point it would again be helpful to have Tracking (but only if you've read at least one previous book), but we don't so we just have to pick between the wagon track and the stairs.

Rangers: 0
Missing: 4
Dead: 9
Sent home: 37

There are some Kai Discipline checks that also ask if you've reached a particular rank (ie. whether you've completed enough of the previous books in the series). It's blatantly rewarding those who spent more money (or it was when the books weren't available for free) and pretty much the opposite of how I would design a game to work. New players should have the game made easier, not experienced players.