Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

madmac posted:

Vampire Coast is actually pretty different from regular Vampires, hordes of zombies with pistols, rifles, deck guns, a gigantic cannon, bloated exploding Zombies, Zombie sea monsters, ect. They're basically a shooty army leveraging sheer volume of fire over accuracy. Also I'd say they're pretty much confirmed considering Luthor Harken isn't the faction leader currently.

Really, knowing how CA does things from the first game, they love using their random schlubs as placeholders for DLC. The nobody leading Vampire Coast right now isn't even Harkon's first mate, so that's suspicious. Averlorn being led by some random douche likewise. Itza is a 10 slot province, so one of the Lizardmen characters is going to be starting there.

Amazons OTOH, I don't have much hope for. There's not a single in game reference to them in game that I can remember seeing, and their island in Lustria isn't in the game either. They could show up as part of Dogs of War but anything else seems unlikely at this point.

Did the Amazons ever even have an army list? From what I understand, most of their popularity stems from Blood Bowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prophet45
Aug 26, 2008
I just want to say that I'm getting into the late game of the hatelves now, and through a number of techs, abilities and buffs, Tyrions silver helms have an upkeep of 9.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

madmac posted:

Vampire Coast is actually pretty different from regular Vampires, hordes of zombies with pistols, rifles, deck guns, a gigantic cannon, bloated exploding Zombies, Zombie sea monsters, ect. They're basically a shooty army leveraging sheer volume of fire over accuracy. Also I'd say they're pretty much confirmed considering Luthor Harken isn't the faction leader currently.

How the hell did I miss all of that? Well then, Pirates of the Caribbean it is then!

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Mordja posted:

Did the Amazons ever even have an army list? From what I understand, most of their popularity stems from Blood Bowl.

Amazons had a Regiment of Renown in the tabletop, and some slight representation in Mordheim.

Basically their thing is they harnessed Lizardman technology/ruins, and now they've got solar weapons. They literally have laser beams.

Oh they also have a snake theme. They've got a lore of magic called "The Lore of Serpents". In addition they were introduced alongside Pygmies (which I think CA will steer away from), and also some jungle dryads.

MadJackMcJack posted:

How the hell did I miss all of that? Well then, Pirates of the Caribbean it is then!

You can check up the army list with a google search, it got published in a White Dwarf during GW's Lustria promotional campaign. They even got a second lore character in Captain Drakla from End Times (:v:), so in theory, everything is there for CA to make Vampire Coast playable.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 14, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

prophet45 posted:

I just want to say that I'm getting into the late game of the hatelves now, and through a number of techs, abilities and buffs, Tyrions silver helms have an upkeep of 9.

Still not really worth it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mordja posted:

Not an official one, though there's a fairly well-made fanmade army book (mildly :nws:) for them that CA could draw upon. Includes fun stuff such as laser gauntlets and staves, panther hunting packs and mounts, giant bipedal bird mounts, and sapient gorilla heavy infantry.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
A warhammer race I haven't heard about called the Pygmies? how bad cou-

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

A warhammer race I haven't heard about called the Pygmies? how bad cou-

there is a reason that pygmies are one of the few things i'm 100% certain we won't be seeing, especially since they don't even have a place to go on the current southlands map

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

MadJackMcJack posted:

The Southern Realms would be a good source of DLC, with Estalia, Tilea/Dogs of War and maybe the Border Princes, although they are more a loose collection of squabbling villages whose armies are little better then gangs so they're pretty unlikely unless CA are really scraping the barrel.

More like cities, Estalia is medieval Spain; Tilea is divided into city-states and petty republics and is the most technologically advanced human civilization - the Leonardo knock-off who invented the Steam Tank came from there -, and the Dogs of War supplement does give some ideas for unit types for the region, plus their racial mechanics (Mercenaries). More telling is Norsca having a tech specifically for fighting them and for occupying Miragliano (which is also a capital-tier city in terms of having an innate garrison, and will probably be a ten-slot city in Mortal Empires). I'd rate them under Tomb Kings and Araby, and above Vampire Coast in terms of likehood of having an official release.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Is there any point of buying any units besides executioners, blackguards, and darkshards with maybe some hydras and dragons for the delves? I guess shades are useful sometimes.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Amuys posted:

Is there any point of buying any units besides executioners, blackguards, and darkshards with maybe some hydras and dragons for the delves? I guess shades are useful sometimes.

I love shades over Darkshards. They're better ranged units, and trade the shield for also being solid melee units. Fantastic for siege defense or ambush battles

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

ZearothK posted:

More like cities, Estalia is medieval Spain; Tilea is divided into city-states and petty republics and is the most technologically advanced human civilization - the Leonardo knock-off who invented the Steam Tank came from there -, and the Dogs of War supplement does give some ideas for unit types for the region, plus their racial mechanics (Mercenaries). More telling is Norsca having a tech specifically for fighting them and for occupying Miragliano (which is also a capital-tier city in terms of having an innate garrison, and will probably be a ten-slot city in Mortal Empires). I'd rate them under Tomb Kings and Araby, and above Vampire Coast in terms of likehood of having an official release.

I hope we get some southern realms stuff as well, bit the tech can be adequately explained by "we needed another capitol on that half of the world to make the East and West trees equal."

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Which units are the equivalent of the US Marines from FotS btw

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Amuys posted:

Which units are the equivalent of the US Marines from FotS btw

lothern sea guard, next question

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

prophet45 posted:

Some temporary conditions seem to add a lot to that. I was still in the fairly early game and dark elf spearmen under Malekith were free. Literally upkeep zero. But then it went back to some very low number eventually.

Similarly, I had the chance to replace a lord after a battle (she got surrounded and killed by about 500 skaven) and the replacement was starting level 17. Maybe he gets generals experience from the battle or something? The next turn I checked my normal rank for new lords, it's only 8.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
While I really hate to bring mod drama over here, I had a hunch about his "update" so I checked the latest version of the other tier 4 mod, and he just wholesale copy+pasted a bunch of my working version in an attempt to fix his poo poo. He didn't even change the garrisons or IDs on anything so it's super obvious right away.

Pretty hosed up honestly, so if goons want to poo poo on some random pubbie for being a douche have at it, downvotes will work probably better than comments because he can just delete those:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1162112272&searchtext=

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Mod Drama is a time honored tradition in any PC games thread on SA, so I for one am happy to help dogpile this guy.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Finally finished the Skaven campaign, trying out high elves. Skaven story was fun but the final battle was mind bogglingly easy.

High Elves are a nice transition, with great ranged units. Spending influence to get lords with unique traits is cool too.

How should I build Tyrion? Buffing Sea Guard seems like a no brainer, those guys are so versatile.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Genghis Cohen posted:

Some temporary conditions seem to add a lot to that. I was still in the fairly early game and dark elf spearmen under Malekith were free. Literally upkeep zero. But then it went back to some very low number eventually.

Similarly, I had the chance to replace a lord after a battle (she got surrounded and killed by about 500 skaven) and the replacement was starting level 17. Maybe he gets generals experience from the battle or something? The next turn I checked my normal rank for new lords, it's only 8.

When Malekith gains experience, a portion of that is duplicated to all his lords. Even the wounded ones.

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 14, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If I could do things differently in my darkelf campaign, as soon as I get a black ark I'd accompany it with a lord and army and use it to sail to the other side of the world and just continuously sack every coastal city with as many sacking bonuses stacked on top of each other as possible and use that to fund my empire, maybe just make a continuous loop of uthulan sacking the outer ring and keeping lothern.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

ZearothK posted:

More like cities, Estalia is medieval Spain; Tilea is divided into city-states and petty republics and is the most technologically advanced human civilization

The villages stuff was referring to the Border Princes specifically, which is more like the Wild West version of the Balkans then anything else. Lots of hardscrabble villages trying to eke a living out of a dry and dusty land while trying to fend off bandits, greenskins and other ne're-do-wells, while occasionally some will group together and try to conquer their neighbours, only to fail miserably and collapse.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mazz posted:

While I really hate to bring mod drama over here, I had a hunch about his "update" so I checked the latest version of the other tier 4 mod, and he just wholesale copy+pasted a bunch of my working version in an attempt to fix his poo poo. He didn't even change the garrisons or IDs on anything so it's super obvious right away.

Pretty hosed up honestly, so if goons want to poo poo on some random pubbie for being a douche have at it, downvotes will work probably better than comments because he can just delete those:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1162112272&searchtext=

Commented, downvoted and reported.

But what to do about him?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Panfilo posted:

Finally finished the Skaven campaign, trying out high elves. Skaven story was fun but the final battle was mind bogglingly easy.

High Elves are a nice transition, with great ranged units. Spending influence to get lords with unique traits is cool too.

How should I build Tyrion? Buffing Sea Guard seems like a no brainer, those guys are so versatile.

I built him with a lot of the personal combat tree, went for the unifier skills rather than the Blood of Aenarion ones but I think both would be good actually. For army buffs I got the phoenix guard/dragon/dragon prince ones plus the ammo for archers/bolt throwers. Worked very well in the end, although really I don't think you can spec him wrong.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

sassassin posted:

Throw him to the squigs!

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

sassassin posted:

Eh its whatever past the point of getting called out, he added walls to them so if he wanted to keep it as the walled version w/credit to me that's fine. I don't give a poo poo about it past that point, its just a mod. It's more don't be so lazy as to copy+paste straight up and not expect to get caught/called out. Especially when you don't know what you're doing in the first place.

Although if his eventual response is malicious maybe I'll think of something.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Is the "Temple of the Horned Rat" bonus to recruits just to recruits in that province, or faction-wide?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

How are you supposed to use bolt throwers? Been playing Malekith and they rarely get even half as many kills as my Dark Shards.

When I played HEs my bolt throwers were lucky to get even 4 kills. I figure there must be something I'm missing.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Turn them into the anti-infantry shotgun-spread mode and enjoy the show. Aim for the biggest concentration, and hopefully put them at enough of an offset you can fire into the melee somewhat reliably (or just shoot at enemy ranged units).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is the "Temple of the Horned Rat" bonus to recruits just to recruits in that province, or faction-wide?

Province only.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

jokes posted:

Turn them into the anti-infantry shotgun-spread mode and enjoy the show. Aim for the biggest concentration, and hopefully put them at enough of an offset you can fire into the melee somewhat reliably (or just shoot at enemy ranged units).

This. Its somewhat backward, but the ballista seem far more effective in shotgun mode while you let your shades/shards focus-fire the big nasties. They're also not particularly kill-y, a lot of their role is to force the enemy to come to you.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

Asehujiko posted:

Can somebody tell me their opening moves for very hard hexoatl? I can just baaaaaarely win the starting battle, then the skeggi's second stack shows up and I lose.

What is your difficulty level? I cant speak about Legendary, but on very hard (where Skeggi starts with a fairly sizable stack, I move up to the border of the first skeggi province and recruit 2 extra Skink Javeliners + 1 Skink melee (so that there is enough money to buy a Saurus oldblood in the cap). Capital upgrades and recruits a Saurus Oldblood.

Norscas stack is going to attack you, which is an interesting but quite winnable battle.

Key points for early norsca battles:
-Bastialladon owns. Have it in front of your line and shoot things. The Norscans have to come to you. You also want that the Bastiladon absorbs the charges. Then sent in the Saurus while your Skinks (turn of Skirmish mode) deal with flankers and some skinks fire from a side into the melee. If your Skinks dont get flanked, they actually slap chaos dogs and marauders around in melee. This is the key thing imho. Turn of Skirmish, if Skirmish is on, your Skinks try to run and get killed due to rear attack boni etc.
-Sauri are really great in trouncing Norse infantry.
-There are several cheeky ways of dealing with Lords. First, any Saurus unit that is in contact with a lord should get buffed by Mazdamundi. Second, consider sicking Mazdamundi himself on the Lord. The Lord will try to spank Mazdamundi, who is pretty tough and can heal himself in 2 different ways. Meanwhile, the Sauri should deal with him, and buffed temple guard will shred a Norse Lord quite quickly.
-As long as the Norse Marauders are not firing on Shieldsless Saurus warrior, ideally ignore them. If that is not possible, have a Skink Skirmisher unit fire on them. They dont deal too badly on in a ranged firefight.

The dangerous units of the Norse are basically Marauder Cav and Norse Lords.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

This. Its somewhat backward, but the ballista seem far more effective in shotgun mode while you let your shades/shards focus-fire the big nasties. They're also not particularly kill-y, a lot of their role is to force the enemy to come to you.

They're incredibly killy, it just takes them a little while to actually start removing models. What makes the shotgun arrows so good is that the AOE is massive. What ends up happening if you aren't watching the health bars is that the first few volleys seem like they're barely doing anything and then the entire unit you're targeting (and anything nearby) starts dying all at once. I like taking two and each will regularly break 200 kills against other elves. Against Skaven they get even sillier

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
This 4 Plagueclaw Catapult/4 Warp Lightning Cannon grand battery is good. It is too good as a matter of fact, because the last engagement I had with it resulted in the enemy army bugging out completely by constantly attempting to reform lines in the middle of its desperate advance towards my army. They did not succeed at either.

Guess I might as well drop 2 Catapults for some Skavenslaves. It's very handy that they can be recruited through access to a provincial capital. It's not like I'm counting on them to survive the battle; just the initial charge so the warcrimers can do their job.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Reaper bolt throwers in spread mode do a ton of HP damage but not kills.

Skaven artillery is the best in both games by far.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I didn't think much of white lions until I made a gimmick army in confederated Chrace and two stacks of chaos warriors tried disrupting the ritual up there.

Eagles are really good in groups, too.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Panfilo posted:

Tyrion is amazing when backed with a huge stack of archers, then giving him armour and anti-missile weapon buffs. Just walk him into the enemy blob and order all fire onto his coordinates.

Oh yeah, and focus on reducing the cost of upkeep for his units and just use spears and archers.

Yukitsu fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 14, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

toasterwarrior posted:

This 4 Plagueclaw Catapult/4 Warp Lightning Cannon grand battery is good. It is too good as a matter of fact, because the last engagement I had with it resulted in the enemy army bugging out completely by constantly attempting to reform lines in the middle of its desperate advance towards my army. They did not succeed at either.

Guess I might as well drop 2 Catapults for some Skavenslaves. It's very handy that they can be recruited through access to a provincial capital. It's not like I'm counting on them to survive the battle; just the initial charge so the warcrimers can do their job.

I ran a Grey Seer(Ruin), 5 plagueclaws, and 14 units of skavenslaves into a mixed high elf stack including some swordmasters and had the plagueclaws and the seer pull out like 400 kills each while the slaves all died in droves until the elves shattered. This is on very hard, too. :allears:

Skaven artillery batteries are incredibly real.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Kanos posted:

I ran a Grey Seer(Ruin), 5 plagueclaws, and 14 units of skavenslaves into a mixed high elf stack including some swordmasters and had the plagueclaws and the seer pull out like 400 kills each while the slaves all died in droves until the elves shattered. This is on very hard, too. :allears:

Skaven artillery batteries are incredibly real.

I had a pair of high-level Warlock Engineers and a Plague Priest with this army. I think I was at a third of my ammo reserves at the end of it, and all my winds were spent on Bless With Filth. Made me kinda regret that I basically broke the game, and also because Blood & Gore isn't out yet and that battle and onwards could've been so much more badass.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Is there any mod that stop enemies from routing into your fortress/city when you defend it?

21 loving skavenslaves with slings got beaten up by Sauri at the wall, somehow routed through them, rallied on the settlement control point, and I didnt notice it...
I sent a unit of Skinks to take them out, which they did quickly, but they didnt manage to recapture the place in time.

I wonder what influences capture times.

It could actually be a pretty good tactic for Skaven in some situations. They get a major buff when running, for some reason people who run are far more difficult to kill then people who dont, and the defender cant exactly pursue very well off the wall because he is needed on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Single fire mode for the bolt throwers should only be used for monster sniping or for shooting enemy artillery (which they’re surprisingly good at if you’re in range)