Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Memento posted:

As opposed to Western Australia somehow...?

Face it, there's zero parts of Australia outside the one good city that are worth being in.

I wasn't even considering the other parts of the country as counting as civilised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

bewilderment posted:

I had to think about this for a while when doing a 'create a setting' for a tabletop game in thinking how some of the game assumptions change a little when applied to Australia, because while Australia and the lower 48 US states are roughly equivalent in size, there absolutely not in population.

If you connect up those orange lines parts on the Eastern side, that's where over 50% of the population lives, maybe even 70%? And outside of that orange there is just NOTHING.

Despite the 'rivalry' the cities have, divisions in Australia tend to be between 'Melbourne-Sydney' (which are 900 kilometres apart) and possibly Brisbane if we're feeling charitable, and 'literally everywhere else'.

Yeah, Melbourne+Sydney+Brisbane has almost 50% just in the three cities alone (not counting any of the rest of their state's populations). Sydney alone has 1/5 of the country's population.

1 Sydney 5,029,768 20.74%
2 Melbourne 4,725,316 19.24%
3 Brisbane 2,360,241 9.74%

e: lol if the US had similar distributions of people with the same total population New York would have 64 million people living in it. Noice.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
How did we make it through COON cheese chat and not get on the topic of Redskins?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

There's a bit in the Overwatch background story where the government gives the robots some land in "the outback" to appease them, but the folks that live in "the outback" get pissed off and form a rebellion.

Yeah, nah. The outback is mostly a whole expanse of sweet gently caress all, and nobody would care or even notice.

e:

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 08:48 on Oct 13, 2017

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
Wow Ghana is big

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ArtIsResistance posted:

Wow Ghana is big

It was my go-to I-really-need-to-take-a-piss track back when I still played records in bars.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

JoelJoel posted:

You never had blue corn chips before?

Hyperlynx posted:

There's a bit in the Overwatch background story where the government gives the robots some land in "the outback" to appease them, but the folks that live in "the outback" get pissed off and form a rebellion.

Yeah, nah. The outback is mostly a whole expanse of sweet gently caress all, and nobody would care or even notice.

e:

Something that gets my goat is when people bitch and moan about the mangling of distances and landmarks in The Crew.
Please, look at loving Forza Horizon 3 if you want a loving mangled map :psyduck:.

And there's still more landmarks that I missed.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Pop Secret is a play on "top secret." Not sure what the joke is beyond sounding the same though.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

The Bloop posted:

Carful, is super flammable! And also INflammable!

What a country!

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Pop Secret is a play on "top secret." Not sure what the joke is beyond sounding the same though.

In the commercials they'd have one family member try to make the popcorn in secret so as to have it all to themselves and not have to share. Once the audible popping began though, hoo boy! Wacky hijinks would ensue.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Related, another Australian thing I didn't know was that Brisbane was a major city. The content creator I follow who lives there constantly shits on the city (and the country in general), and since I hadn't heard of that city beforehand, I just figured Brisbane was some small town or something.

Again, 80% ignorant American, 20% just never had to know major population centers in a country I've never been to.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

BioEnchanted posted:

There is a poem I quite like the illustrates the confusion in the English language:

I think I read somewhere that the English language holds the record of a single pronunciation of many different written words? Something like 40 written variations are pronounced the same. Starting with "air"

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MisterBibs posted:

Related, another Australian thing I didn't know was that Brisbane was a major city. The content creator I follow who lives there constantly shits on the city (and the country in general), and since I hadn't heard of that city beforehand, I just figured Brisbane was some small town or something.

Again, 80% ignorant American, 20% just never had to know major population centers in a country I've never been to.

The reason that person shits on Brisbane is because it's a vapid shithole with zero redeeming qualities.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

ArtIsResistance posted:

Wow Ghana is big
It says right on the map, that's Austria

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I live in Brisbane and can confirm it really is a big country town. Also it is a terrible hell hole with no redeeming features except for the fact it's not Perth.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Elizabethan Error posted:

It says right on the map, that's Austria

no, it says it's the True Size of EG Ghana. (EG must stand for Equatorial Giant)

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Australia is so full of nothing that when rumors started going around that the same Japanese cult that attacked the Tokyo subway had also tested a nuclear bomb in the outback they actually sent scientists to check it out because a nuclear explosion nobody had noticed wasn't out of the question.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Australia is so full of nothing that when rumors started going around that the same Japanese cult that attacked the Tokyo subway had also tested a nuclear bomb in the outback they actually sent scientists to check it out because a nuclear explosion nobody had noticed wasn't out of the question.

Then it turns out it was Gina Rinehart.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cyberbug posted:

I think I read somewhere that the English language holds the record of a single pronunciation of many different written words? Something like 40 written variations are pronounced the same. Starting with "air"

As with all cool language facts, probably bogus. I have absolutely no source to back me up but I'd be surprised if it wasn't Japanese.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Australia is the same size as the lower 48 states but there is only 3 cities and a few other big towns

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

What's the third city? I count Sydney, Melbourne and then I'm at a loss.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

iajanus posted:

What's the third city? I count Sydney, Melbourne and then I'm at a loss.

Adelaide, they at least have some festivals which people fly in for.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
"Perth!", said the lisping mugger.

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

If you remove the names of bookmarks in your browser toolbar, you're left with a nice array of icons to click, and can fit many more bookmarks in the same amount of space.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

NAG posted:

If you remove the names of bookmarks in your browser toolbar, you're left with a nice array of icons to click, and can fit many more bookmarks in the same amount of space.

This is actually useful and doesnt belong here.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yes it does, NAG can't believe they've just figured it out.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah it's not like this is the lifehack thread

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
"hth" doesn't stand for "hand to heart", and its use probably isn't "swearing that something is completely truthful, genuine, or sincere".

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Likewise, FOB means foreign born, not "fresh off the boat" as I had assumed. It's a weird acronym either way.

E: after writing this I googled it, and according to wikipedia it does mean "fresh off the boat" after all, so now I'm not sure what to believe.

pidan has a new favorite as of 09:49 on Oct 15, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

uvar posted:

"hth" doesn't stand for "hand to heart", and its use probably isn't "swearing that something is completely truthful, genuine, or sincere".

It's actually short for hello there hottie HTH.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
And then there was the time I actually looked up TIL, that was kind of recursive.

I thought it was something like "truth in life"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tad Naff posted:

And then there was the time I actually looked up TIL, that was kind of recursive.

I thought it was something like "truth in life"

Oh boy don't look up TIA it will gently caress you up because it's not actually "this is awesome" HTH.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oh boy don't look up TIA it will gently caress you up because it's not actually "this is awesome" HTH.

I'm not looking it up right now because I have to go to bed, but thanks in advance

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
I just learned that HTH is not someone making making a sort of hissing sound while flicking their tongue over their teeth.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tad Naff posted:

I'm not looking it up right now because I have to go to bed, but thanks in advance

Loving My Aunt Ordinarily-like.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

uvar posted:

it actually means 'I'm a huge prick'

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

signalnoise posted:

Whenever I read "FTFY" it takes me a sec to remember it doesn't mean "gently caress this, gently caress you"
This seems to come up fairly often on SA.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Beck and Jeff Beck are 100% unrelated musical artists.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

pidan posted:

Likewise, FOB means foreign born, not "fresh off the boat" as I had assumed. It's a weird acronym either way.

E: after writing this I googled it, and according to wikipedia it does mean "fresh off the boat" after all, so now I'm not sure what to believe.

FOB means foreign born and raised and immigrated to a new country, ergo literally 'fresh off the boat' from when the majority of transcontinental travel was done by boat and if you were moving to a new country, you did it by boat.

It specifically means people who are new to the country who have yet to understand or adopt the minute social decorum and act in such a way that they're obviously not native.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Cube and The Cell are totally different movies.