Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I have tried the road shootout on Legend 7 times.

I have died to the final boss truck driver with one shot left 7 times.

:smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
I want to know who the VA for Bacchus is going to play in the new Fist of the North Star game.

Ross Perowned fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 12, 2017

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Just got a PS4 as a gift and have been wanting to get into this series for approximately forever. Kiwami is a good/sensible place to start, right, being that it's actually the first game?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

ALFbrot posted:

Just got a PS4 as a gift and have been wanting to get into this series for approximately forever. Kiwami is a good/sensible place to start, right, being that it's actually the first game?

I would strongly recommend starting with 4 if you have a PS3, 0 if you don't. Both games are good natural starting points, 4 because it introduces new characters and has recaps of the earlier titles, and 0 because there's not as much relevant backstory to worry about. Don't bother hunting down the PS2 games (since remakes now exist) or 3 (the only real contribution the story makes to the canon is killing off a minor character from 1 and 2).

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

ALFbrot posted:

If you just got a PS4 and really wanna see what this series can do at its best, get 0. Kiwami is fine, but it really shows its age very badly.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Kiwami is better if you've played Zero first and Zero's just a better game overall.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
0 has Cabaret Club Czar and is thus automatically better.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am honestly disappointed Kiwami doesn't have a management minigame.

At least it has karaoke

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Captain Walker posted:

I would strongly recommend starting with 4 if you have a PS3, 0 if you don't. Both games are good natural starting points, 4 because it introduces new characters and has recaps of the earlier titles, and 0 because there's not as much relevant backstory to worry about. Don't bother hunting down the PS2 games (since remakes now exist) or 3 (the only real contribution the story makes to the canon is killing off a minor character from 1 and 2).

3 is good tho

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

ALFbrot posted:

The events of Kiwami will have much more impact on you if you play Zero first.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

mikeycp posted:

3 is good tho

Seconded. I liked the orphanage and the CIA bad guys.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

It’s a shorter and lower-scope game than 0. In a lot of ways, 0 has acted like a soft reboot for the series in the West - Kiwami was made taking a lot of what made 0 good into effect (Majima Everywhere), and the recently announced Kiwami 2 is building off of 0 in different ways as well.

0 is also much more modern in its design (except for that whole “saving” thing), Kiwami looks nice and has some fun features and a great translation but it’s still based off of a PS2 game and shows.

Start from 0.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you understand that Kiwami is a top down remake of the first game with a few bits added in to tie in with 0, you will enjoy it and I wouldn’t skip it.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Having learned the Komaki Tiger Drop, the Majima fights are a doddle......if only I can get that last fight with Everyone’s Idol Majima.....

It’s tedious but I have come too far to not finish that part of the game :negative:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kiwami is absolutely perfect for what it is; a budget priced full HD 60fps remake of Yakuza 1 with tweaked up combat and bonus side content.

It wouldn't be quite as good of an offering if it were a full price game because its combat isn't quite as good as Zero's despite coming after and the rest of the content isn't as good either.

0's probably the best Yakuza game available in the west at this point.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
The mere fact Kiwami has the best battle system so far is one of its strongest arguments

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Isn't Kiwami just literally the battle system from 0, but with the Dragon style added earlier on? If it's not, then it's in a way that I really just don't notice.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

SpacePig posted:

Isn't Kiwami just literally the battle system from 0, but with the Dragon style added earlier on? If it's not, then it's in a way that I really just don't notice.

There's a few new moves but it's pretty much unchanged from 0, and dragon was actually in 0 as a hidden unlockable.

0 didn't have boss's regenerating health so I'd say 0's combat was better than Kiwami

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
I'd argue that the quick style change skills make 0's combat pretty clunky when you get back to it. It's just that good of an addition.

tap my mountain posted:

There's a few new moves but it's pretty much unchanged from 0, and dragon was actually in 0 as a hidden unlockable.

0 didn't have boss's regenerating health so I'd say 0's combat was better than Kiwami

C'mon, the kiwami moves is what makes Kiwami's bosses piss easy, saving heat for when they'll use their predictable regen ain't hard, don't try to argue that's a bad point

Ledgy fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 13, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Do something specific or the boss gets a bunch of health has always and continues to be a lovely mechanic. The Dragon of Dojima unlock for it being one of the last things you get was inexcusable too.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So I'm just moving through Yakuza 0 now, and I just got to the opening cutscene on Majima's story.

Can't remember a cutscene that lasts as long, but I especially can't remember one that was as effective. Easily the most terrifying that Majima has ever been.:stare:

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
I gotta say, starting Yakuza 3 right after Kiwami and having majima as the first boss made me laugh more than it should have

Sakurazuka posted:

Do something specific or the boss gets a bunch of health has always and continues to be a lovely mechanic. The Dragon of Dojima unlock for it being one of the last things you get was inexcusable too.

using any heat action including inventory or environmental weapon ones isn't really what I'd call specific but sure, you get more than enough time to build the whole heat bar while they're regenerating

the dragon kiwami move is basically the sumo slap, acts exactly the same, costs exactly the same, and you get it waaayyy before majima becomes a chore to fight

Ledgy fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 14, 2017

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Doing the Haruka challenges at the end of the game is tedious at times but I’m learning all sorts of games I wouldn’t know otherwise

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

julian assflange posted:

Doing the Haruka challenges at the end of the game is tedious at times but I’m learning all sorts of games I wouldn’t know otherwise

I've got a decent handle on most everything except Koi Koi. For that, I may as well close my eyes and pick everything at random.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheLoser posted:

I've got a decent handle on most everything except Koi Koi. For that, I may as well close my eyes and pick everything at random.

Koi Koi took me ages to figure out and even then I wasn’t able to get the advanced hands that earn mega points (or if I did it was a fluke).

I’m stuck in the Baccarat now.....it’s loving comedy as it’s pure luck and not going my way. I’m having to save scum past as it’s the only game that has no skill attached to it.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Incidentally, for the Koi Koi, look at Settings before to start the game as the card helper or whatever is handy for telling you if you are close to a particular hand. It helped me figure them out much faster

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Sakurazuka posted:

Do something specific or the boss gets a bunch of health has always and continues to be a lovely mechanic.
"Something specific" being "punch the dude so you take off more health than he regenerates"

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Not a huge fan of Yakuza 3's combat... I feel like enemies block 3/4 of my attacks, and the early family chairman boss took way longer than I'd have liked. I'm playing on hard, is the AI programmed to block more than in normal or something ?

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Always be grabbing in 3.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I can't even play checkers. Playing something like Mah-Jong is 100000% impossible for me so I'll never platinum a Yakuza game.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I don't know much about Yakuza 6 but it seems like it goes back to Kiryu only having one fighting style. Is this true?

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Ryuga Death posted:

I don't know much about Yakuza 6 but it seems like it goes back to Kiryu only having one fighting style. Is this true?

I think he does have only one fighting style but with an added super mode that make all his finishers heat actions but don't quote me on that

KingShiro posted:

Always be grabbing in 3.

That's what I figured. gently caress the sumo guys and the bosses :argh:

Ledgy fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 14, 2017

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Haruka’s second karaoke challenge is not possible :negative:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

julian assflange posted:

I got that score requirement before getting the Haruka task, because I'm stuck on the second pool challenge :argh:

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Captain Walker posted:

I got that score requirement before getting the Haruka task, because I'm stuck on the second pool challenge :argh:

That’s like a once in a lifetime performance

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

julian assflange posted:

That’s like a once in a lifetime performance

Don't worry, I'll never get past this loving pool shark. Last time he won the break shot, sunk eight or so balls before he hosed up an easy shot and basically handed the 8-14 to me. All I had to do was pocket the 15, and the game registered me nudging the right stick slightly as a shot so Kiryu took the world's shittiest, tiniest shot and I lost for like the twentieth time.

I would kill myself or something, but if you're talking self harm nothing is gonna compare to trying to 100% a Yakuza game.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

julian assflange posted:

I don't know if I've ever felt prouder of myself as a player of video games than when I beat that. Just keep at it and memorise the patterns as best as you can.

It wouldn't be so bad, except for the fact that you have to wait a few moments after you've made a mistake before the game will accept another input. There's a sequence just before the chorus that I always lost a bunch of points on, because if gently caress up the timing of the first button presses, and couldn't get back on the beat.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I keep loving up the HOLD parts for some reason. Likely costing me loads of points

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Captain Walker posted:

I would kill myself or something, but if you're talking self harm nothing is gonna compare to trying to 100% a Yakuza game.

I did for Yakuza 3, 4, and Dead Souls (I have the world first Platinum for Yakuza 3) but 5 and Zero broke me. I had to re-learn the physics for stuff like billiards and darts on PS4 because my tricks there didn't work like they did on PS3 and I just lost patience. These games are just too hard to Platinum now for me to care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I can't imagine how long it would take to platinum 5, I beat the game at 47% completion and that took 70 hours.