Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Colourful Magic is absolutely absurd and ridiculous. It owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
I looked in the OP, and didn't see the answer... I want to use Mod Organizer for Skyrim SE. I remember there was a link to a version of it that was compatible? Anyone have that link, or am I mistaken?

Nevermind, probably. I found the Skyrim SE Nexus, so I will try out that version of MO.

yegods fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 14, 2017

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Now I feel kind of stupid. You all seem to have no problems modding Skyrim SE. Are you using Mod Organizer? I cannot get any of the companion exes to see the mod list. I run Loot for example, and it only shows the base SSE stuff. I have only a few mods installed, and enabled. None of them show up. I've tried setting "run as administrator", on all the exes I could find. Any ideas?

edit: I am using the latest MO 2.0, and the compatible version of Loot and Wrye Bash.

edit2: this is not my day. I got it to work by excluding the Mod Organizer folder from Windows Defender. Apparently it disallows the vfs program from running even though if you scan it manually it doesn't detect a problem. Post my shame, just so if anyone else runs into this they can possibly have a solution.

yegods fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 15, 2017

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

yegods posted:

Now I feel kind of stupid. You all seem to have no problems modding Skyrim SE. Are you using Mod Organizer? I cannot get any of the companion exes to see the mod list. I run Loot for example, and it only shows the base SSE stuff. I have only a few mods installed, and enabled. None of them show up. I've tried setting "run as administrator", on all the exes I could find. Any ideas?

edit: I am using the latest MO 2.0, and the compatible version of Loot and Wrye Bash.

edit2: this is not my day. I got it to work by excluding the Mod Organizer folder from Windows Defender. Apparently it disallows the vfs program from running even though if you scan it manually it doesn't detect a problem. Post my shame, just so if anyone else runs into this they can possibly have a solution.
MO2 is very sketchy. It does work - but for all the trouble you are having - stop trying. Just use Nexus Mod Manager. It isn't good, but it does work, and does take care of one of the biggest problems when modding. Namely, what happens when you install mod B over mod A, then uninstall mod B. Nexus Mod Manager will correct any overwrites so that mod A exists as if mod B was never installed. It's still not preferable to Virtual File Systems - and I could nerd rage over it, but as far as what works, just use NMM.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Has anyone tried SKSE64 yet? Is it in a playable state yet or should I keep waiting?

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Smol posted:

Has anyone tried SKSE64 yet? Is it in a playable state yet or should I keep waiting?

Got everything with MO2 working now, and have been using SKSE64 with no problems that I can see.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Have the various mods that use Skyproc been updated for SE?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Have the various mods that use Skyproc been updated for SE?

No, and we should be very cross with LtSmash about it.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Did he write all of those? If so I'm sorry I didn't realize it. They're awesome.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

I'm looking for a mod that let's you access a container's contents without opening it -- like Fallout 4. Anything like that exist for Skyrim SE?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

yegods posted:

I'm looking for a mod that let's you access a container's contents without opening it -- like Fallout 4. Anything like that exist for Skyrim SE?
Not yet. The dude who made Quick loot for Oldrim has uploaded to source for it, so it should be possible to grab that and make a working plugin for SKSE64.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Oct 16, 2017

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

Did he write all of those? If so I'm sorry I didn't realize it. They're awesome.

No, but he's a close to a current maintainer that we're likely to get.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Could you give me a rundown of your average magic/spell-use in combat and a rough equipment layout?

It depends on the fight, really, since some spells work better than others on different mobs. I'm terrible at remembering spell names, so you'll probably have to look some of these up. I may be in the minority, but I enjoy Skyrim melee combat – dodging around as an unarmored mage with a dagger in one hand and a spell in the other is very satisfying to me. Of course I can't take more than one or two hits, but that usually isn't an issue and also serves to increase my Restoration at a rapid rate. For armor I use mostly cloth and light armor boots/gloves back when my enchanting sucked. Now I'm pretty much in full cloth with +Magicka or +Magicka Regen on almost everything.

For something like an Ice Troll (back when they were threatening in my lower levels), I'd stack fire spells with DoT damage and then use a spell that increases damage dealt by weapons when the target is burning. I'd dodge in and out smacking the thing with my dagger. If they felt overpowering, I'd use the spell that kills any living thing below 25% health as an oh-poo poo exit strategy.

For melee mobs that completely overwhelm me, I tend to use Creeping Cold a lot. It slows them like most frost spells, but then also freezes them solid and causes them to fall over about once ever 10 seconds. I'd use that time to stack them up with some DoTs or to heal myself.

For most melee fights I start off with a Leech Seed + Lamb of Mara combo. Leech Seed is a DoT that transfers health to you and Lamb of Mara is similar in that when the enemy is damaged you get a portion of their health (I think?). These are absolutely vital for the way I'm playing, and I they're permanent fixtures on my hotkeys. I'll reapply them at least once or twice on high level mobs.

Before I had Invisiblity I tended to use Ghostwalk a lot to scout out encounters before I actually engaged. If I'm remembering correctly, you can also pickpocket using ghostwalk, which is hilariously fun.

When I need to make a fast exit and need a diversion, Evil Twin is a fantastic spell. It creates ghostly copies of every enemy in range as long as it's channeled. I'll usually pop a few potions, dual cast it (which makes two copies) and run off to some dark corner. By the time I run out of magicka, I'm usually far enough away to sneak.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm also on Apocalypse, but have a bit of a mage/thief/assassin type of deal that I'm having a bit if a hard time with

Yeah, this is also sort of what I was doing, but I ended up going more in the mage direction than thief/assassin after about lvl 20. I still pumped Illusion pretty hard in the beginning because Frenzy/Pacify are my bread and butter on most fights involving more than three mobs. Once you get Sneak up to a high enough level you can also backstab mobs and, if they don't die, calm them and then backstab again. I did a lot of running and hiding before level 20 so I could regain health and try a different tactic. Also, don't disregard Alteration. I feel like that's always my biggest mistake. Ocato's Recital definitely helped me use buffs more than I would in vanilla.

Apocalypse is great because there's a spell that can be used to fit almost any scenario. On the other hand, it's a pain because it requires a lot of navigating menus and it's insanely expensive. Now that my character is in his 30s most fights aren't terribly difficult, and I tend to quickslot three or four spells that I think will work well in any given dungeon so I don't have to constantly hit Q during every fight. I also leave Soulcloak on semi-permanently, which means I'm constantly rolling in soul gems. I enchant every single item I find before I sell it, and all of that extra money goes directly into buying spells (and more soul gems). You'll definitely need the cash.

kedo fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 16, 2017

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
If anyone still hasn't tried NAT, holy cow it is a really good atmosphere and weather mod. What I'm not sure about is whether it affects interior lighting or not. I couldn't find anything on the Nexus page. Anyone have any experience with using one with it, or are they incompatible?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I played Oldrim way back in the day and modded it all to hell and I had some questions now about the 64-bit Special Edition

1. Have enough mods been ported that the SE is now preferable to Oldrim? The OP didn't have much SE info in it.
1a. Mostly thinking about SkyUI and S.P.E.R.G here
2. Should I start a new game now or continue to wait for things like SKSE to improve? I'm probably only going to play the Special Edition once.
3. My favorite part of the game was exploring the land and not using fast travel. Are there any mods that:

-Disable fast travel and/or gates it sufficiently late in the game that I'll be forced to travel everywhere on foot/horseback?
-Scale enemies to your level while still leaving some variation (i.e. if you're level 5 enemies range from level 3-7 but there are "tough" areas with enemies at level 10)?
-Make exploring random caves worth it? I remember constantly going into dungeons, making my way through it and then getting worthless items, making the whole thing not very fun

4. Are there any technical requirements on modding? I have an RX 480 and 16 GB of RAM.

I also recall there was a mod that made the map really detailed and emphasized the roads. Any idea what that mod was?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

axeil posted:

1. Have enough mods been ported that the SE is now preferable to Oldrim? The OP didn't have much SE info in it.
1a. Mostly thinking about SkyUI and S.P.E.R.G here

Ortinator has become kind of the flavor of the month perk mod (I vastly prefer it), but I believe there's a version of SPERG for SE. I'm running the alpha builds of the SKSE and SKYUI and they've worked flawlessly. There's already a ton of MCM support as well, although some mods still use the old style book/spell/power options menu.

quote:

2. Should I start a new game now or continue to wait for things like SKSE to improve? I'm probably only going to play the Special Edition once.

Unless you're waiting for something specific, SE is totally worth playing right now.

quote:

4. Are there any technical requirements on modding? I have an RX 480 and 16 GB of RAM.

To be honest, SE is way more stable and optimized than Oldrim ever was. If you had trouble with Oldrim, you'll probably see a performance boost just by playing on SE. Unless you're trying to 4k everything, you shouldn't have an issue.

quote:

I also recall there was a mod that made the map really detailed and emphasized the roads. Any idea what that mod was?

I believe you're referring to A Quality World Map? That's what I use anyway, and it fits the description. Not sure if there was another in Oldrim.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

CascadeBeta posted:

Ortinator has become kind of the flavor of the month perk mod (I vastly prefer it), but I believe there's a version of SPERG for SE. I'm running the alpha builds of the SKSE and SKYUI and they've worked flawlessly. There's already a ton of MCM support as well, although some mods still use the old style book/spell/power options menu.

Unless you're waiting for something specific, SE is totally worth playing right now.

To be honest, SE is way more stable and optimized than Oldrim ever was. If you had trouble with Oldrim, you'll probably see a performance boost just by playing on SE. Unless you're trying to 4k everything, you shouldn't have an issue.

I believe you're referring to A Quality World Map? That's what I use anyway, and it fits the description. Not sure if there was another in Oldrim.

Ok, thanks for the advice! And yes A Quality World Map was the mod I was thinking of! I didn't see it in the OP.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Agents are GO! posted:

No, but he's a close to a current maintainer that we're likely to get.

How many AVs do we have to buy him?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I finally fixed my anti aliasing problem which has plagued me since SE came out. The solution is absurdly simple: Force MFAA on in Nvidia Inspector. It'll cost you like 20 fps outdoors but I don't even give a gently caress running at 30 fps when my game looks like this:

Natural and Atmospheric Tamriel is really fantastic. My only complaint is that I wish there was a 10 percent brighter nights setting. Currently the lowest brighter night option is 25 percent. Default is pitch black while 25 percent brighter is like a cloudy day with a blue filter over it.

Bitter fly
Sep 25, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone know how to edit warmth values of items in the creation kit? Been making my own custom mage robes and can't figure it out

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Kiggles posted:

MO2 is very sketchy. It does work - but for all the trouble you are having - stop trying. Just use Nexus Mod Manager. It isn't good, but it does work, and does take care of one of the biggest problems when modding. Namely, what happens when you install mod B over mod A, then uninstall mod B. Nexus Mod Manager will correct any overwrites so that mod A exists as if mod B was never installed. It's still not preferable to Virtual File Systems - and I could nerd rage over it, but as far as what works, just use NMM.

I tried using NMM, but it failed to recognize Skyrim SE. I tried to update it, but it says its already up to date. I am using MO2, but because I am an idiot and deleted and reinstalled it a few times, its a bit janky and LOOT wont work...

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I suppose it's a known issue that NMM is slow, lovely, fails to perform simple tasks and crashes for no reason?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Lunethex posted:

I suppose it's a known issue that NMM is slow, lovely, fails to perform simple tasks and crashes for no reason?
I would expect it to improve somehow since the MO author is working on it.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Lunethex posted:

Yup, it is a complete piece of garbage, but aside from the odd instances where it enables/disables mod packages but wont' display it, and it seems I have to restart and reinstall a few times before it will actually work, it at least does work, without strange lingering issues once introducing other tools.

Basically, MO2 has all the same problems, with the added conflict of being sketchy when handing off the VFS to anything else (for example LOOT).

BigRoman posted:

I tried using NMM, but it failed to recognize Skyrim SE. I tried to update it, but it says its already up to date. I am using MO2, but because I am an idiot and deleted and reinstalled it a few times, its a bit janky and LOOT wont work...

Re-run the base game, click options, from the Launcher. Its often easy to forget this how/when the install data is corrected once we're dealing with SKSE, because the script extender bypasses this - making it a required additional step when verifying cache, or after software updates through Steam.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I can't seem to figure out how to craft 'trick arrows' from the Ordinator mod. I can't find recipes or any help regarding that perk through googling (outside of finding that 'it works' or that some recipes are expensive), and any tries with almost literally every crafting ingredient at a forge/anvil haven't yielded any options.

In any case, I think Ordinator may be the most influential mod of my latest playthrough. The amount of options and directions to take any class (or even made-up subclass in) are incredible.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Kiggles posted:

Re-run the base game, click options, from the Launcher. Its often easy to forget this how/when the install data is corrected once we're dealing with SKSE, because the script extender bypasses this - making it a required additional step when verifying cache, or after software updates through Steam.

Huh? This doesn't do anything. Could you explain in more detail?

Also does Ordinator have a perk that gives a bigger boost to Sneak attacks other than the "does X% extra damage when at X% health"? I miss my crazy high sneak attacks from SPERG.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
You're probably not missing them - I don't think SPERG was really any worse than vanilla, where stuff like the 16x dagger sneak bonus with the double sneak bonus from shroud gear was pretty insane. Couple that with power attacks doing at least double damage, and you're up to like 64x damage. I think you can even dual wield power attack from stealth as well, so... yeah, I dunno what you're missing. Ordinator doesn't really make it any worse, it just puts dagger sneak attack bonus on a sliding scale with Sneak skill, rather than one stupid huge bonus all at once. Result at 100 sneak is exactly the same as vanilla - with appropriate perks. I think Ordinator can even get you a few extras through one-hand tree, like bonus damage when attacking targets from the rear, and other dagger specific perks.

Are you talking about other weapons, like Bows? Again, I don't really think it's any worse - the top potential in Ordinator is generally higher than vanilla - it just asks for more specialization through perk investment.

axeil posted:

Huh? This doesn't do anything. Could you explain in more detail?

Also does Ordinator have a perk that gives a bigger boost to Sneak attacks other than the "does X% extra damage when at X% health"? I miss my crazy high sneak attacks from SPERG.

When the Launcher runs it checks a few base things, updates the INIs, etc. If you see that message saying it will automatically detect the best video quality settings, it should have done when is needed - else the problem is with steam and you may need to redownload.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 18, 2017

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Bitter fly posted:

Does anyone know how to edit warmth values of items in the creation kit? Been making my own custom mage robes and can't figure it out

If you're using Frostfall, there's an MCM option to examine your currently equipped gear. From there you can change the warmth and coverage settings of that item.

Doesn't really help if you're trying to release the robes to the public, but at least can get you a last resort for a personal playthrough.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Kiggles posted:

You're probably not missing them - I don't think SPERG was really any worse than vanilla, where stuff like the 16x dagger sneak bonus with the double sneak bonus from shroud gear was pretty insane. Couple that with power attacks doing at least double damage, and you're up to like 64x damage. I think you can even dual wield power attack from stealth as well, so... yeah, I dunno what you're missing. Ordinator doesn't really make it any worse, it just puts dagger sneak attack bonus on a sliding scale with Sneak skill, rather than one stupid huge bonus all at once. Result at 100 sneak is exactly the same as vanilla - with appropriate perks. I think Ordinator can even get you a few extras through one-hand tree, like bonus damage when attacking targets from the rear, and other dagger specific perks.

Are you talking about other weapons, like Bows? Again, I don't really think it's any worse - the top potential in Ordinator is generally higher than vanilla - it just asks for more specialization through perk investment.

Yeah, I always used bows for an initial big damage sneak attack and it seems like that isn't really possible now.

And yeah, the options menu in the launcher doesn't do anything when I click on it. I can launch the game just fine from the .exe though so I think I might stick with that.

Oh and I remember the OP said you shouldn't use Immersive Citizens. Is there a reason why, or is it just because it has sloppy coding? I can't tell if it's working but I also haven't played the game in something like 3 years so I have no idea what the vanilla AI looks like

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Immersive Citizens conflicts with a shitload of mods, and the guy who made it throws a tantrum anytime somebody tries to fix it or release a patch.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Randaconda posted:

Immersive Citizens conflicts with a shitload of mods, and the guy who made it throws a tantrum anytime somebody tries to fix it or release a patch.

I already have it installed :ohdear:

I assume I have to just keep using it then since you can't remove mods from a save, right?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've removed plenty of mods mid-save without incident. There's no guarantee it will break anything, but there's no guarantee it will work.

Just make a backup save and see what happens.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

CascadeBeta posted:

I finally fixed my anti aliasing problem which has plagued me since SE came out. The solution is absurdly simple: Force MFAA on in Nvidia Inspector. It'll cost you like 20 fps outdoors but I don't even give a gently caress running at 30 fps when my game looks like this:

Natural and Atmospheric Tamriel is really fantastic. My only complaint is that I wish there was a 10 percent brighter nights setting. Currently the lowest brighter night option is 25 percent. Default is pitch black while 25 percent brighter is like a cloudy day with a blue filter over it.

We have, by the looks of it, some similar mods. I am using the photorealism enb and with it running night were unworkably dark. I jumped into the end settings in game and messed with the night values in enbeffect.fx until it made nights a bit more workable. Something you may consider.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

CascadeBeta posted:

Could I bother you to COC around and take some more pictures of day and night? I used Vivid Weathers in oldrim but it's difficult to settle on one of these.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Lunethex posted:

Could I bother you to COC around and take some more pictures of day and night? I used Vivid Weathers in oldrim but it's difficult to settle on one of these.

Absolutely. I am using the photorealistic ENB with it, but I can toggle it on and off for comparison. I'm going to tinker with the night settings before taking major night screenshots though.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Even in vanilla without applying any lighting, weather, or Reshade/ENB I really love the god rays they have in SSE. This is pretty much the last decision in my modding spree.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Randaconda posted:

I've never had any trouble with it, so it's a ymmv deal, I'd guess?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Lunethex posted:

Even in vanilla without applying any lighting, weather, or Reshade/ENB I really love the god rays they have in SSE. This is pretty much the last decision in my modding spree.

Don't use any weather mods other than True Storms. If you enjoy the light shafts in SSE, the ONLY weather mod that doesn't all but completely eliminate them is True Storms.

I feel like such a tool saying it, because I defended other weather mods earlier in the thread for the sake of variety - but I found myself partial to the overdone light shafts in SSE. It's a fantasy world, so having a visually palpable atmosphere just works :toddhoward:, including, but not limited to the night light-shafts that don't even have a source of origin.

Between that, and half of the weather mods using really obtuse darkness settings for nights that swallow up other light sources, I had to step back from my prior position on weather mods, and just stick with True Storms for a little move variety between weathers.

It's a shame though, because I do like some of the weather types in things like Vivid Weathers, NAT does some other nice effects. They all simply lean too hard on 'realism', that the fantasy atmosphere gets thrown out in the process. Too many weathers are "clear", where ironically, Natural and Atmospheric Tamriel has the least perceptible literal atmosphere of almost every single weather mod.

:words: yeah, so if you like SSE light shafts, go vanilla or just stick with true storms.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Am I doing Skyrim correctly

This is ELFX and True Storms. Part of me still wants to give Vivid Weathers a quick shot but I always feel like a huge twit when I installed climate mods in the past and the nights and darks became impossible to work with or enjoy. Wandering around Riften at any time of day is really nice with the fog and light depending on time of day.

I also have two very important questions. 1. Can anyone recommend another mod like this for Nebula/Galaxy/Stars? Just curious if there's any alternatives. I love looking up and just breathing in the sky.

2. Is Open Cities recommended or should it be avoided? I have it on currently just to see what it's like and all the extra stuff is an FPS hit here and there depending on where one looks but it's like 5-8 and I'm more concerned about future modding being jeopardized by it or it making the game break itself. You give a Bethesda game enough reason it will crash or break after all.

e: 3. I was also considering Morrowloot for a gameplay overhaul - making enemies harder, changing leveled lists - but once again I'm not entirely sure so if there's a goon to ask let me know what decent options I have to make things more interesting on that end.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Oct 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Morrowloot (Ultimate) is good for a 'gameplay' over haul, but it isn't terribly dynamic, and doesn't do too much beside loot, so if you complete a dungeon without finding anything useful, you can only conclude that would ALWAYS be the case for that dungeon, which is somewhat discouraging.

Only thing I have really found that feels a good compliment has been Skyrim Unleveled. Expect to have some difficult encounters out the door (it unlevels the world), but part of the design philosophy was to give certain NPC types certain strength/weaknesses that would help lower level players deal with the fact Deathlords would be spawning in pretty much every dungeon. Still, getting started can be a little rough - but it does smooth out quicker than you imagine.

There's not really anything else I've tried that sort of works out as naturally. Advanced Adversary Encounters for example applies a very aggressive level scaling modifier, so where it is technically "more like vanilla" in that NPCs scale with the player, the practical impact is something else entirely. If you were to just compare the two on paper, Advanced Adversary Encounters would seem the less "hardcore" of the two (neither are advertised as such). I just find Skyrim Unleveled to be much smoother, where AAE is exhausting; until you find what "works" on a given NPC, the only thing leveling will do is dig the hole you are already in exponentially deeper. When you do find what works, you still have to perform. Which is a shame, because I generally like a lot of AAE's OTHER on-paper changes over Skyrim Unleveled

But different strokes. If you still want to try AAE, I would recommend loading the vanilla encounter zones plugin from Morrowloot Ultimate. Any other variation gave me nightmarish results of level 25+ bandits at level 1, where AAE's design pretext was scaled NPCs.