Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Powershift posted:

Yeah, but think of what will happen when that money trickles down

I hate to break it to you but that's just piss.

It's always been piss.

Half the time it's not even warm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Butcher posted:

I hate to break it to you but that's just piss.

It's always been piss.

Half the time it's not even warm.

And some people pay money for that. That's at taxable benefit in the eyes of Revenue Canada.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I'm sure people here are more knowlagable on the subject than me, but what kind of problems would canceling NAFTA have for Canada?

And The Sun is terrible, but it and the National Post are about the same, just the NP is more polite about its shittyness. Today the cover story is "We're all going to die!"

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 26, 2018

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
We would default to the CUSFTA and use NAFTA for trade with Mexico.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

James Baud posted:

Not gonna happen, don't even bother wasting time worrying about it. Trump can't do it unilaterally and Congress won't ratify anything.

I've heard a few things on that. I've read stories in both the NYT and the Washington Post that say it's very likely trump has the authority to unilaterally withdraw. Congress may mount a legal challenge, but as written the president does have the authority.

Risky Bisquick posted:

We would default to the CUSFTA and use NAFTA for trade with Mexico.

Again I've seen conflicting reports. Bunch of people say yeah, and some people say no. Again I think it'll end up in court.

Edit: can't find the WaPo story since I read it a few days ago, but here is the NYT story from yesterday.

NYT posted:

The Nafta agreement allows any of the countries involved to withdraw six months after notifying the other parties. Congress could oppose a White House decision to withdraw, arguing that the Constitution gives Congress power to “regulate commerce with foreign nations.” Members of Congress could also threaten to stall Mr. Trump’s legislative efforts, like tax reform, in order to stay his hand.

But there is no language in Nafta’s authorizing law passed by Congress that requires Congressional assent before leaving the pact. So Mr. Trump could easily dissolve Nafta with the stroke of a pen.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/12/business/economy/what-would-happen-if-the-us-withdrew-from-nafta.html

Gorau fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 14, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Trade with commonwealth countries and cut out the usa if we're pitching ideas that will never happen

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSxspHjBm7Q

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
The maple syrup was a nice touch.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Can anyone point me in the direction of some analysis as to how/why Singh won on the first ballot?
I wasn't following the race that closely, but I just assumed it was more evenly split.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

P.d0t posted:

Can anyone point me in the direction of some analysis as to how/why Singh won on the first ballot?
I wasn't following the race that closely, but I just assumed it was more evenly split.

quote:

When the membership sign up deadline passed in mid-August, Singh's campaign quickly announced that they had signed up more than 47,000 members, representing about 57 per cent of all new members signed up in the course of the campaign and 38 per cent of the 124,000 members eligible to vote.

While not all of Singh's sign-ups turned out on Sunday — he won with 35,266 votes, representing 53.8 per cent of the total — a clearly significant percentage of them cast a ballot. Overall turnout was 52.8 per cent, but turnout among his supporters appears to have been markedly higher.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

P.d0t posted:

He wore the best suits.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Seems like Singh followed the same strategy Patrick Brown employed when Brown beat out Elliott for the Ontario PC leadership.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Dreylad posted:

Seems like Singh followed the same strategy Patrick Brown employed when Brown beat out Elliott for the Ontario PC leadership.

Courted extremists at the edge of the party, then abandoned them and renounced their values once elected?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 26, 2018

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

James Baud posted:

I don't understand why any parties still do one man one vote instead of riding-based points to better capture broad appeal.

I think OPC does riding points and Brown/Singh won by enrolling tons of new members.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

James Baud posted:

I don't understand why any parties still do one man one vote instead of riding-based points to better capture broad appeal.

Because they want ridings where they're competitive to have more weight than ridings where they have five members.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Vancouver by-election done.

BC Liberal farm team candidate take the seat with 27%.

The two furthest left candidates with near identical platforms and credentials would have had a combined total of 35%.

I submit this as evidence exhibit #5216 of the left being its own worst enemy.

Total turnout, 11%. :toot:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Butcher posted:

Well that sucks.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

The Butcher posted:

lol

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

The Butcher posted:

I submit this as evidence exhibit #5216 of the left being its own worst enemy.

Dunno what your concept of 'left wing' is, but Swanson and Watermelon add up to 23%

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Hahaha loving idiot college students

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/toronto/college-students-strike-refund-1.4355417

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

jfood posted:

Dunno what your concept of 'left wing' is, but Swanson and Watermelon add up to 23%

Dunno if :thejoke: but Swanson and Graves were the similar ones.

Also after having written that, Graves is probably not a good politican name.

FOUR MORE YEARS OF GRAVES.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

lol these guys are going to be so mortified that this still exists when they look back 10 years from now

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
And to cap off this triple post extravaganza, Vancouverites!:

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

That... doesn't seem unreasonable? Generally, if you were recieving services from an entity that stopped being able to supply those services, you'd expect to not pay? That's how it would work if you were being supplied services from a private company that was shut down due to a strike.

If fees aren't discounted, the school has a financial benefit from the strike...

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

T.C. posted:

That... doesn't seem unreasonable? Generally, if you were recieving services from an entity that stopped being able to supply those services, you'd expect to not pay? That's how it would work if you were being supplied services from a private company that was shut down due to a strike.

If fees aren't discounted, the school has a financial benefit from the strike...

Ontario college prof here, and I agree. It's not like the teachers will be the ones put out if the kids get their tuition refunded. This demand puts pressure on the administration, not on me. I'm not getting paid during the strike and the kids aren't getting taught - the colleges still have the money and the admins are getting paid.

Obviously they aren't going to get reimbursed for whatever per day, though. The real pressure comes from the threat that if the strike goes on long enough, they might get pushed back a semester, at which point the colleges would be on the hook financially.

Edit: also the demand that "both parties" get back to the table when the administration were the ones who walked away. It's possible that these kids are just ignorant, but it's also possible that they are expertly making demands of only the administration while claiming to be neutral. Canadian media would never have a pro-strike group highlighted in an article without some false balance, and these students are providing their own false balance while really being on my side. It's pretty cool.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 15, 2017

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

why are they loving idiots

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Students at York tried this after a 3 month strike and had it thrown out, so it doesn't bode well for college students who haven't even missed a day yet.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gorau posted:

I've heard a few things on that. I've read stories in both the NYT and the Washington Post that say it's very likely trump has the authority to unilaterally withdraw. Congress may mount a legal challenge, but as written the president does have the authority.

Again I've seen conflicting reports. Bunch of people say yeah, and some people say no. Again I think it'll end up in court.

Edit: can't find the WaPo story since I read it a few days ago, but here is the NYT story from yesterday.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/12/business/economy/what-would-happen-if-the-us-withdrew-from-nafta.html

Yea this is exactly what made me wonder if it happened what would be the negative effects for us. I like Trump demanding cars be 50% US made, and even the car companies are all "no gently caress that!".

So, people are being lovely to the parents of the hostages that were just freed because how dare they let their adult child and their spouse go on a hike in a dangerous part of the world. What the hell do they expect?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Goddamn, CanPol goons are stupid sometimes

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

twistedmentat posted:

So, people are being lovely to the parents of the hostages that were just freed because how dare they let their adult child and their spouse go on a hike in a dangerous part of the world. What the hell do they expect?

That's so dumb. It was obviously a very bad choice in retrospect, and I have no doubt the hostages would agree, but what more should the parents have done? If my folks gave me advice on vacation plans, I'd listen to it and consider it, but if they attempted to forbid me from going some place, I'd tell them to gently caress themselves.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Jimbozig posted:

Ontario college prof here, and I agree. It's not like the teachers will be the ones put out if the kids get their tuition refunded. This demand puts pressure on the administration, not on me. I'm not getting paid during the strike and the kids aren't getting taught - the colleges still have the money and the admins are getting paid.

Obviously they aren't going to get reimbursed for whatever per day, though. The real pressure comes from the threat that if the strike goes on long enough, they might get pushed back a semester, at which point the colleges would be on the hook financially.

Edit: also the demand that "both parties" get back to the table when the administration were the ones who walked away. It's possible that these kids are just ignorant, but it's also possible that they are expertly making demands of only the administration while claiming to be neutral. Canadian media would never have a pro-strike group highlighted in an article without some false balance, and these students are providing their own false balance while really being on my side. It's pretty cool.

So what you are saying is the strike is really likely?

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

bunnyofdoom posted:

So what you are saying is the strike is really likely?

Pretty much immediately after the strike notice was given, the colleges started acting as though it was a certainty:
https://twitter.com/ronmckerlie/status/917917019265044486

I've looked at the web sites for probably half of the colleges, and every single news item is written as though the strike has been inevitable, not as though it's merely a possibility. Sort of implies that the colleges have no real desire to engage in bargaining to prevent it.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
eh, thats the way it always works with this stuff

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

RBC posted:

eh, thats the way it always works with this stuff

No, it doesn't always work this way. Employers who are at risk of being struck usually project more uncertainty.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tagesschau posted:

No, it doesn't always work this way. Employers who are at risk of being struck usually project more uncertainty.

Those employers typically have a downside to a strike.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

tagesschau posted:

whatever, its a very common negotiating tactic

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

ocrumsprug posted:

Those employers typically have a downside to a strike.

Yeah, it's this. Unless this goes long enough to affect next semester somehow, the employer actually makes more money the longer the strike goes. They already have the money.

They don't even have to worry about PR, really. Since it's all Ontario colleges, it's not like kids looking for an education can go to a competitor. I suppose bad PR could potentially hurt them with international students, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

It's on.

https://twitter.com/OPSEU/status/919731152428072960