Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
GUYS GUYS GUYS!

The pet shop that I might take a part time position in next year had Bourke's Parakeets! They are all pink! I've been from coast to coast looking at parrots and never seen them!

Why do I want them to live in my jacket? Why do I feel like growing my beard back out for them to explore?!

Also, I was in a big box petstore and saw two things that made me laugh.

First - I love it when parakeets are aware of my severe OCD and arrange themselves accordingly. :3:

Bonus points if you notice the conure pretending to be a parakeet.

Secondly, this guy was ASLEEP and kept waking up to eat millet. It was profoundly hysterical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DrakIris posted:

pseudoephedrine, and yeah I had found that.. She'd scrapped the pill pretty decently but it mostly seems to have gone to powder, assuming a roughly equal distribution in the tablet I'd guesstimate ~.5-1mg released for consumption with most of it being dusted into the blisterpack, calling out now through.

i hope everything turns out okay. :(

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Captain Log posted:

Why do I want them to live in my jacket?

see this sounds like a good idea at first, but as the owner of a jacketbird, i can tell you that it is not

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

I just swapped out my vacuum cleaner bag, and I'm pretty sure it's 98% pellets.

STOP FLINGING YOUR GODDAMN PELLETS, BIRD.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

i hope everything turns out okay. :(

I'm at this point not even sure she managed anything past cracking a tablet, shortly after making the post we cuddled for scritchies and a half nap and all was good!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

GoldStandardConure posted:

see this sounds like a good idea at first, but as the owner of a jacketbird, i can tell you that it is not

My favourite hamster was, and I'm really not trying to be dirty, obsessed with pants. If I didn't pay attention for two seconds suddenly it would be time to shake a hamster out of my shorts. Literally.

Question that I would rather ask here than google...can a Bourke's parakeet co-exist with two inbred petstore parakeets? I don't think a Bourke is going to become my velcro birb, but I REALLY want to see how their hierarchy would adjust.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

https://twitter.com/vickorano/status/919137153145344002

I didn't know Don King was reincarnated as a Galah

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
One of my neighbours has a Bourke's parakeet. Its cage is next to the window so it looks down on me when I come home from work. Occasionally talks to Crouton and Galbedir when I have the door open and they have the window open.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

A warrior monk poised to strike in defense of her temple. c. late 1800s (colorized)

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Tendai posted:

I love Draculatiel :3: and I would like to scritch Ohtori.

And Steve.

Ohtori would love that, he's apparently happy with new people. Steve hasn't let me really scritch him for a long time now, he's very clearly got a favourite person and it's not me. He won't even sit and chill on my shoulder, just knee for a bit at best. Biiiiiird :(

Captain Log posted:

GUYS GUYS GUYS!

The pet shop that I might take a part time position in next year had Bourke's Parakeets! They are all pink! I've been from coast to coast looking at parrots and never seen them!

Why do I want them to live in my jacket? Why do I feel like growing my beard back out for them to explore?!

There's someone on the subreddit /r/parrots that has a Bourke's Parakeet, called Stormy iirc, they fairly regularly post about her if you wanted to go look or ask anything

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
It's bizarre to go on that subreddit, and realize that I know who someone is because I recognize their bird

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Being born in the American South, I’m always sensitive about colour based conflict. I don’t want my cage to become a really colourful version of Fort Sumter.

Unless...tiny civil war hats...doofy parakeets...I’ll be in my design pod.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
Please send good thoughts for my Senegal, Max. He's in the bird hospital today for an endoscopy to find the source of bleeding in his sinus/throat. He had spent the night at the vet's house after they cauterized some spot on his tongue. He'd flown hard into a window after a scare on Monday, went to the emergency vet, they discharged him because he was fine...then yesterday he was just sitting in the sunlight and started breathing weird and I looked and saw he was bleeding. He'd been showing signs of full recovery just Thursday night and we were happy to see him acting normally after a few days of sleeping and quiet.

I'm sick with worry and scared that they're gonna call with terrible news that he's hosed in some irreversible way. They said he's still chipper and friendly and stepping up for everyone but why is he still bleeding? Ugh! I hate this.
I've had him almost 11 years. I don't know what I'd do without him around.

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!
Edit: Pull through, Max! :( ^^^^

I caught Hyde doing this a couple nights ago. Actually had no idea pigeons did the foot tuck too!

Bonus cute:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

How hard is it to hand-tame pigeons/doves? Hyde is absolutely adorable :3:

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Doesn't seem too hard, I've seen quite a few people with tame pigeons. I think they're just pretty chill birds.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

artichoke posted:

Please send good thoughts for my Senegal, Max. He's in the bird hospital today for an endoscopy to find the source of bleeding in his sinus/throat. He had spent the night at the vet's house after they cauterized some spot on his tongue. He'd flown hard into a window after a scare on Monday, went to the emergency vet, they discharged him because he was fine...then yesterday he was just sitting in the sunlight and started breathing weird and I looked and saw he was bleeding. He'd been showing signs of full recovery just Thursday night and we were happy to see him acting normally after a few days of sleeping and quiet.

I'm sick with worry and scared that they're gonna call with terrible news that he's hosed in some irreversible way. They said he's still chipper and friendly and stepping up for everyone but why is he still bleeding? Ugh! I hate this.
I've had him almost 11 years. I don't know what I'd do without him around.
Be well, Max! There are a whole lot of people who love you :love:

Also, Hyde is amazing. I've always wanted a dove/pigeon and he is doing nothing to change my mind.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

Gravy Boat 2k
Thanks. They just called and said it looks like it's either a liver issue or a bacterial thing. They're keeping him till Tuesday and I have no idea how I'm gonna deal with a quiet house.

Happy borb pics, please?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

All the best for Max. Are you able to visit him if you wanted?

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

Gravy Boat 2k

Battle Pigeon posted:

All the best for Max. Are you able to visit him if you wanted?

No. :(
They took him to their house and the clinic doesn't open until Tuesday. I haven't seen him since I took him in yesterday and they whisked him off to triage...this is hard guys.

Thank you for cute tiels, though.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
After flying into a glass door he shouldn't have even had access to about a week ago, the smartest budgie in the world is growing his face back!

Look at all dem pins!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

iRend posted:

After flying into a glass door he shouldn't have even had access to about a week ago, the smartest budgie in the world is growing his face back!

Look at all dem pins!

Happy to see he is back to his old, parakeet brained self. :)

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!
It really helps that his breeder handled him regularly those first six weeks! The feral pigeon that I have still spooks very regularly even when I'm changing out his food and water and I've had that one for almost two months now, I think.

Hyde borbs, but it's on my shoulder and the moment I pull out my phone to take pics, he unborbs.

fake edit: Hah, got him borbed.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

oh my god

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
He cannot possibly be real. I refuse to believe it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Made a window perch for the :derptiel:s.

Initially they were massively scared of it, but after actually trying it once they appear to love it.

Edit: They've spent almost 20 minutes just looking out the window, now. Still sitting there.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 15, 2017

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
All I can think of is how much poop is going down the inside of that radiator...

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

All I can think of is how much poop is going down the inside of that radiator...

literally this

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nielsm have you thought about smelling scorched p-- beaten

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Majority of poo poo will be caught by the board resting on the radiator. I think.
At least of the part that would fall between the plates.

Look, they're happy to be able to look out the window for hours on end, okay?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nielsm posted:

Majority of poo poo will be caught by the board resting on the radiator. I think.

You should really put something under the perch to catch poop. They are cockatiels and they will presumably somehow find a way to poop onto the radiator otherwise. On purpose.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Got a breadbox or something to stick halfway down the pole?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I can just find a larger board to use as base. This one is just a scrap I had left over, but since it seems to be a success I can find something better now.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

nielsm posted:

LOL They do look happy!! Cricket won't sit on her window perch.... I keep trying and she keeps going HELL NO"

I'm not sure though if your potatoes are happy looking out the window OR if they are happy being able to poop in the radiator. Probably both :) Glad you found something they will use though!!

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

We will never have the issue of poo in the radiators, and I'm glad of it, it gets into baffling places as it is already

Window perch is good, HydeBorb is good, all birds are good

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Disco Salmon posted:

LOL They do look happy!! Cricket won't sit on her window perch.... I keep trying and she keeps going HELL NO"

I'm not sure though if your potatoes are happy looking out the window OR if they are happy being able to poop in the radiator. Probably both :) Glad you found something they will use though!!

They were really scared of it initially, and Pion only actually wanted to remain on it after bribing him with a few bites of crisp-bread, even a little cheese. (He will do anything for cheese. I only very rarely let him have any, I know bird-tummies aren't built for it.) After Pion had gotten used to perch on it and seemed happy to look out the window, Putni carefully stepped off my arm onto the perch as well.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Post nail filing, after I'd cleaned most of the splinters away

Total betrayal

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Radiotor Perch looks awesome. I don't recall where you live, but if a Home Depot type hardward store is handy check their gardening area. Certain meshes could catch poop without blocking airflow.

BUT! Nearly every time a human gets sick from a pet bird, it's inhaled contaminants from their droppings. Absolutely awesome perch, but the dropping might make it worth moving.

Captain Log's Bird Adventures Update -

The other day I took a crate of blankets to that bird store I've been to a lot recently. I feel better about the place! The finch room is in better shape, and the owner seems non-existent. It's in the West Coast's equivalent of "a bad part of town" but it's pretty tame compared to, say, the American South.

Bourke Parakeets - I did a lot of reading online, so it isn't exactly academic. But it appears Bourke's are fine with other parakeets in an aviary only. Otherwise the differences in their energy levels becomes a problems. (Bourkes don't appear to give any fucks.)

On my quest for a velcro bird - Look at who I met! The last juvenile quaker of a clutch who isn't named yet. He was literally like a toddler in that he refused to bite (just nips), and was constantly trying to fly into the play area. This little "guy" took to me.

Cockatiels vs. Quakers - any forums thoughts? I live in an apartment that has two shared walls. Also, my father who I care for lives in my spare bedroom. He "hates" animals but always falls in love with my birds. Size wise, anything bigger than a Caique would make him poo poo.

Should I just stick to cockatiels?

Also, this guy lives at the store permanently, as they are also an active rescue. This is a 45 year old bird any just sits, silently judging while he yearns for the sweet sounds of disco. :3:

They also have two greys as breeders and one have obvious plucking issues. While I was petting him I heard a weird, gutteral growl his and glances towards the breeder box.

The mate was in there, making that sound AT ME and floofing it's feathers to an ungodly level. I'd never seen a thing like it before...and backed away slowly.

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 15, 2017

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Tbh I'd just lay newspaper sheets or an old towel over the radiator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

nielsm posted:

Initially they were massively scared of it, but after actually trying it once they appear to love it.

I'm pretty sure this is the budgie credo.