Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Got a sample pack of WW2 Germans to check the range out. They look good and also match the scifi range I picked up (onslaught)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

What scale?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Looks like 6mm, and that would line up with Onsluaght. (Onslaught is amazing)

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Finished my last squad of WW2 Americans. Now I have a complete platoon, as well as two bazooka teams. Huzzah!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ilor posted:

Finished my last squad of WW2 Americans. Now I have a complete platoon, as well as two bazooka teams. Huzzah!

Nice. What brand are they?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
They're Black Tree Designs. They're a little "heroic" in their proportions, but overall they're really nice sculpts. Lots of detail and a huge variety of poses.

EDIT: They're also among the easiest models I've ever painted - except maybe skeletons - because they're all base-coat (with straight-up VMC paints, only one mixed color for the web-gear), MinWax wash, metal details, drybrushed bases, done. I need to hit these guys more thoroughly with a last spray of Dull-Cote, but I love how refreshingly straightforward WW2 historicals are.

Which is my way of saying that you Napoleonics guys can keep that crazy-colorful poo poo to yourselves. :P

Ilor fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 14, 2017

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I remember that game ! Not a bad game for the period and scale. I'd actually recommend digging up a copy of Assault and its expansions if you want to really get geeky about the 1980s in Europe. Also, I like Frank Chadwick designs more than John Southward's.

For non-hex n' counter games, there's also Command Decision which will give you battalion scale rules and equipment lists for 1939-1992. That was a very sophisticated game for the early 90s and it should hold up against modern games.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Signal posted:

Looks like 6mm, and that would line up with Onsluaght. (Onslaught is amazing)

Onslaught?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

http://www.onslaughtmini.com/

They do great 6mm stuff, wonderful proxies for epic

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

mllaneza posted:

I remember that game ! Not a bad game for the period and scale. I'd actually recommend digging up a copy of Assault and its expansions if you want to really get geeky about the 1980s in Europe. Also, I like Frank Chadwick designs more than John Southward's.

For non-hex n' counter games, there's also Command Decision which will give you battalion scale rules and equipment lists for 1939-1992. That was a very sophisticated game for the early 90s and it should hold up against modern games.

Define "more geeky?" Fire Team seems difficult enough, or it rates itself like that.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There was a discussion in the Wargames thread a few weeks about an RPG/Wargame hybrid

I have filled a legal pad with notes, ideas, and rules and other outlines/etc... to comprise a design document for such an RPG/Wargame hybrid set in an alternate history (yet historically plausible - just a more fantastic and romanticized - think Aubrey/Maturin or Sharpe)

I'm going to type it all up this weekend into a google doc, if anybody wants to help make this happen hit me up

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Warlord Games posted this on Facebook:

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Colonial Air Force posted:

Warlord Games posted this on Facebook:

They've started doing all metal expansions for Test of Honour. I didn't pick up Test of Honour because I spent all my money on Antares stuff.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

6mm, I'll be ordering more for sure.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

JcDent posted:

Define "more geeky?" Fire Team seems difficult enough, or it rates itself like that.

Assault has 4 expansions (more stuff, air cav, Bundeswehr, Brits) , making it more of a challenge to collect.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

Thundercloud posted:

They've started doing all metal expansions for Test of Honour. I didn't pick up Test of Honour because I spent all my money on Antares stuff.

Has anyone tried Test of Honour and is it good?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Commissar Kip posted:

Has anyone tried Test of Honour and is it good?

In the demo I got, the chits you draw seemed really random and like they could swing things pretty dramatically without much control over them. But, that was a demo.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Phi230 posted:

Here are my latest attempts at highlights. Am I simply highlighting the wrong places, or am I painting too wide of areas?

Crossposting

While I'm here, what color is the hilt and scabbard of these swords that Grenadiers/Voltigeurs carry?

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 18, 2017

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Got some paint on my first squad of US Airborne. :)

Only four more to go...

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Nice!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Phi230 posted:

Crossposting

While I'm here, what color is the hilt and scabbard of these swords that Grenadiers/Voltigeurs carry?
Looks like you're hilighting too wide an area for a single layer hilight to me, but it might blend in when you get to the next stage? I'd have to see it "finished" to be sure, but my gut says you will be happier if you just put thin lines around the edges and then hit it with a wash.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Arquinsiel posted:

Looks like you're hilighting too wide an area for a single layer hilight to me, but it might blend in when you get to the next stage? I'd have to see it "finished" to be sure, but my gut says you will be happier if you just put thin lines around the edges and then hit it with a wash.

What I posted was basecoat-wash-basecoat again. Not even on second tone yet

Too wide an area is pretty much my suspicion, though, thank you. I need to study some other people's models to see where I'm supposed to highlight and the size of the area.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Phi230 posted:

Too wide an area is pretty much my suspicion, though, thank you. I need to study some other people's models to see where I'm supposed to highlight and the size of the area.

If it is your first coat (as in re-applying the base coat after a wash), then it looks just fine to me. Just add a slightly lighter tone and make a smaller highlight, and if it stil feels too wide, add another and so on. You're in luck that you're painting the greatcoat, so you don't have to feel like you're risking the final result to be too light or dark. Greatcoats came in many colours, all depending on what cloth they could find.

The voltigeur and grenadier sword (briquet) has a black scabbard with brass hilt and details. The voltigeur would probably have a yellow chord on the hilt, and the grenadier a red one.

https://img3.exportersindia.com/product_images/bc-full/dir_10/289207/briquet-saber-sword-6023.jpg

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Phi230 posted:

Oh, in that case you're pretty much on track. Just do what lilljonas said and you'll be grand.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Enentol posted:

Got some paint on my first squad of US Airborne. :)

Only four more to go...

Those look great!

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I played the Gates of Antares Fantasy Adaptation with Rick Priestley at the weekend, here's the playthrough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyjI8OEJrkE

I've done a youtube poll to back up my opinion that Warlord should develop it as a product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=use7ddDtmJE

I'm really interested in playing this. I think Warlord should probably do it as Bronze Age through to Dark Age skirmish, as those are the miniature ranges that they have.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Will attempt to watch it tomorrow.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

JcDent posted:

Will attempt to watch it tomorrow.

I know 90 minutes is a bit of a time commitment.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I am travelling, so I can't really sit down for that :p

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

JcDent posted:

I am travelling, so I can't really sit down for that :p

Me too. I'm in Japan, getting stoked about a project that I really shouldn't start since I'm up to my ears in projects (19th century Boshin War). Got some nice pictures from a museum in Hakodate to base my forces on, even.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
Does any grognard know what they call these hats? I'm looking to source some Belgian infantry for a small game where we play the Ten Days Campaign.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Looks like some kind of woolly forage cap to me.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Commissar Kip posted:

Does any grognard know what they call these hats?
Um, fabulous?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Were the Polish paras equipped any differently than their British equivalents? (Other than different berets, obviously.)

E: Cool, thanks. It's weird how so much available information is big-picture.

moths fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 19, 2017

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

moths posted:

Were the Polish paras equipped any differently than their British equivalents? (Other than different berets, obviously.)
Some sources claim that the helmet was painted dark blue under the camo net rather than dark green. Other than that it's just the beret colours and shoulder patches I think.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Working on my 10mm mans, about halfway through my German battalion.

I found painting camo on such a small scale surprisingly hard. My first instinct was to paint it to-scale, but this ended up looking like a mess on that scale, so I stripped my Panzer IVs and tried again. I found the trick was to use relatively few, large blotches.

I'm not hugely happy with the sandbags, they feel kinda sloppy. Sculpting sandbags at that scale is hard.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Oct 20, 2017

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We're working on new scenarios for SP2, as frankly the ones in the book are not all that great. My clubmate Shirty wrote up an AAR about our latest duel, where we're pitting a smaller defending force against a larger attacker:

https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/napoleonic-blog/battle-report-the-first-repulse

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Alternate historicals, Team Yankee!

I've ordered a Kampfgruppe Müller, some luchs späh truppe, gepard flakpanzer, 2 panzergrenadier zug and marders to help them out.

This is a nice core for my army, but i'd love to expand it at some point. any suggestions as to what? i see that PSC are releasing a plastic leopard 1 kit right soon which i'll deffo be picking up as their models are quite lovely.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Geisladisk posted:

Working on my 10mm mans, about halfway through my German battalion.

I found painting camo on such a small scale surprisingly hard. My first instinct was to paint it to-scale, but this ended up looking like a mess on that scale, so I stripped my Panzer IVs and tried again. I found the trick was to use relatively few, large blotches.

I'm not hugely happy with the sandbags, they feel kinda sloppy. Sculpting sandbags at that scale is hard.

Are the WW2 ranges for 10mm pretty fleshed out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I have basecoated 2 Grenadiers and I am happy