Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

kingturnip posted:

Also, it'll probably be balanced
let me stop you there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Looks like we have new player roles for FM18. Saw a screenshot on the new recruiting video that had Segundo Volante, Inverted Winger, Mezzalla, and Carrilero. I can guess at Inverted Winger, but I don't have the slightest idea what the others do.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
Segundo volante is Spanish for Second Wheel...I think it's a CDM?

Carrilero is a wingback.

Dunno about the other thing.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I checked the index of inverting the Pyramid and didn't find any of those words OP

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The guy presenting the videos looks like the kind of person I'd leave a pub to avoid.

If I ever went outside

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Saw on Reddit that Mezzalla is something like a central winger who occupies the half-space, and Segundo Volante is a CDM who is responsible for shuttling the ball up the field as well, requiring a lot stamina.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Shroud posted:

Saw on Reddit that Mezzalla is something like a central winger who occupies the half-space, and Segundo Volante is a CDM who is responsible for shuttling the ball up the field as well, requiring a lot stamina.

Welcome to Whose Touchline Is It Anyway, where the positions are made up and the roles don't matter.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Shroud posted:

Man, I'd love to be a fly on the wall at the meeting where they decided on the new roles to add in FM18, just to see what didn't make the cut:

"What about a winger who never crosses the ball?"
"Hmm, or a defender who only passes the ball to the goalkeeper!"
"No guys, that's not good enough! We need more ideas like the central winger or the fifth version of a defensive central midfielder that is exactly the same in the match engine as the four we already have."
"Yeah, let's just add a foreign word to a defensive position and call it a day."

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I wish they'd just add a generic role for each position, and let us choose the instructions. Forwards really bug me. For example, I can't get a forward to hold the ball up, dribble less, and make less risky passes without using a target man, because I don't want the long ball mentality that goes with that role.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
lol it's the loving double pivot.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Hopefully one day they manage to implement centrebacks you can bring the ball out of defence, and other astounding footballing innovations of 30 years ago.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Shroud posted:

I wish they'd just add a generic role for each position, and let us choose the instructions. Forwards really bug me. For example, I can't get a forward to hold the ball up, dribble less, and make less risky passes without using a target man, because I don't want the long ball mentality that goes with that role.

Or even, and I know this is strange, but have the roles be player characteristics. Some versatile players can play in several roles and several positions, but plenty of players only know one way of playing.

I'm not saying that players shouldn't be given instructions or that team shape and style isn't a choice the manager should have. But just that roles are how the player will evolve/perform within a tactic.

For example in a long ball, high intensity 4-5-1, the lone striker could play slightly differently depending on his preferred role. An archetypal target man would hang off the last defender and try to hold up the ball for the midfield to move up the pitch, while a pacy forward would try to knock the ball on and beat the offside trap. Perhaps some players would drift to the wing more often looking to pull the defence to one side and create space for a run down the middle, while others would stick to the centre of the pitch and try to slip between the central defenders or pull both of them to him. Some attackers might be at ease in such a system, while others wouldn't. A "fox in the box" might dislike how often he's involved in build-up play and how brief the periods of pressure on goal are, while a player that thrives on beating the last man to set up one-on-ones with the keeper would feel completely at home.

Edit: Under stress players with low composure could logically start to ignore team/position instructions and revert to their "natural" playing style, in the most extreme cases even drifting away from their pitch position to play in their ideal role/position (a CM asked to fill out in defence might lapse in concentration/lose composure and move too high up the pitch to attempt an interception or provide more attacking options, leaving an opponent free behind him).

Shazback fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 11, 2017

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Fire Michael Cox and to a lesser extent Jonathan Wilson into the sun imo

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
football manager will never make serious improvements until miles fucks off.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

Agreed he's an utter nob

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

They should sell to EA OP

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
The new scouting stuff looks cool

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shazback posted:

Or even, and I know this is strange, but have the roles be player characteristics. Some versatile players can play in several roles and several positions, but plenty of players only know one way of playing.

I'm not saying that players shouldn't be given instructions or that team shape and style isn't a choice the manager should have. But just that roles are how the player will evolve/perform within a tactic.

For example in a long ball, high intensity 4-5-1, the lone striker could play slightly differently depending on his preferred role. An archetypal target man would hang off the last defender and try to hold up the ball for the midfield to move up the pitch, while a pacy forward would try to knock the ball on and beat the offside trap. Perhaps some players would drift to the wing more often looking to pull the defence to one side and create space for a run down the middle, while others would stick to the centre of the pitch and try to slip between the central defenders or pull both of them to him. Some attackers might be at ease in such a system, while others wouldn't. A "fox in the box" might dislike how often he's involved in build-up play and how brief the periods of pressure on goal are, while a player that thrives on beating the last man to set up one-on-ones with the keeper would feel completely at home.

Edit: Under stress players with low composure could logically start to ignore team/position instructions and revert to their "natural" playing style, in the most extreme cases even drifting away from their pitch position to play in their ideal role/position (a CM asked to fill out in defence might lapse in concentration/lose composure and move too high up the pitch to attempt an interception or provide more attacking options, leaving an opponent free behind him).

A lot of these words are in the game already via attributes and preferred moves.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The video they put out today briefly goes into the new roles halfway through if you are interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeXV0MieLmY

The dynamics thing showing up in partnerships on the pitch is pretty neat imo, hopefully it isn't horribly broken

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

The video they put out today briefly goes into the new roles halfway through if you are interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeXV0MieLmY

The dynamics thing showing up in partnerships on the pitch is pretty neat imo, hopefully it's isn't horribly broken

You know this will be true

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
Hi lads. What's the good club badge / player face pack to use for Football Manager 2017.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bloodbath posted:

Hi lads. What's the good club badge / player face pack to use for Football Manager 2017.

https://sortitoutsi.net/graphics/player-faces

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I think I might have found the holy grail: a genuine potentially-talented Mongolian player.

My scout gave him 3 stars for Potential, which my Coaches are backing up now that he's signed for us.
For context, 3 stars would be 'Good for German Budesliga'. I'll be ditching this game for FM18 long before he's ready for the First Team, but who cares.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

kingturnip posted:

I think I might have found the holy grail: a genuine potentially-talented Mongolian player.

My scout gave him 3 stars for Potential, which my Coaches are backing up now that he's signed for us.
For context, 3 stars would be 'Good for German Budesliga'. I'll be ditching this game for FM18 long before he's ready for the First Team, but who cares.

It doesn't look like he came from an MLS club academy, but they'll produce players with straight up random second nationalities. Like all the tiny islands, Crimea, Mongolia, Zanzibar, everything

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Fat Lowtax posted:

It doesn't look like he came from an MLS club academy, but they'll produce players with straight up random second nationalities. Like all the tiny islands, Crimea, Mongolia, Zanzibar, everything

My best keeper for an MLS team was American/Sri Lankan.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Does national team performance have an in-game impact on player value? It seems to.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
Don't think it's performance per say, but rather playing for the national team improves a players world reputation which in turn increases his worth.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I don't know who Joe Tomlinson is, but for FM19, I think I'd rather they go with someone who has no enthusiasm or perceptible interest in the game to present their videos on new features.
Like Jack Dee. Spend some money, SI.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
He looks like the kind of person that SI thinks buys their games.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

this guy might be the best regen defender i've ever seen the game produce. good lord

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

bewbies posted:

this guy might be the best regen defender i've ever seen the game produce. good lord

Aggression 10 he'll be a lower league journeyman.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

18 Heading? Not surprised with that loving fivehead.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
This is new: My new club captain consistently refuses to talk to unhappy teammates, saying every single time that he thinks it's something I should be doing.

Never seen it before, in any game. It's pretty cool I suppose.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Adrianics posted:

This is new: My new club captain consistently refuses to talk to unhappy teammates, saying every single time that he thinks it's something I should be doing.

Never seen it before, in any game. It's pretty cool I suppose.

A perfect recreation of the SI forums experience

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

sebzilla posted:

18 Heading? Not surprised with that loving fivehead.

had same thought

atalanta wants 80m for him and wont come down from it. i'm running out of ideas

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

bewbies posted:

had same thought

Unsettle him by declaring interest than slip the agent some cash on the side to convince him it's in his best interest.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
A 17 year old with slipped discs might raise some flags

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

A 17 year old with slipped discs might raise some flags

It's from supporting the weight of that enormous loving head

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

bewbies posted:

had same thought

Forget about him for a couple of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Yeah I was wondering that, surely slipped discs at 17 is pretty much a death knell for a decent career? Do injuries of that nature get tracked in that way?