Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Single fire mode for the bolt throwers should only be used for monster sniping or for shooting enemy artillery (which they’re surprisingly good at if you’re in range)

It's good against cavalry or high HP spread-out units like saurus warriors too. I found it more reliable for getting kills on such targets than the multi-shot ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The multishot won't get many kills on saurus but it will reduce the entire units hp. It'll do more damage I think

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

LordAbaddon posted:

there is a reason that pygmies are one of the few things i'm 100% certain we won't be seeing, especially since they don't even have a place to go on the current southlands map

It looks to me like they should stay well clear of the south

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush
Can anyone tell me what benefit healing spells/skills give if it doesn't revive dead models? Or is it pretty much only good for single model units like heroes, lords, and certain monsters?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Constantine XI posted:

Can anyone tell me what benefit healing spells/skills give if it doesn't revive dead models? Or is it pretty much only good for single model units like heroes, lords, and certain monsters?

There are plenty of high HP units like cavalry or smaller squads of dudes that will get proportionally more mileage out of it. A good example were Empire Demigriff knights, which had a small unit of like 16 models with plenty of HP. The healing spells are typically AoE as well so you can heal multiple units close together.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Constantine XI posted:

Units have individual HP, so it'll keep them in the fight longer. (For reference, in TWW1 Empire Swordsman had 58 health per model and about 23 damage per hit after armor- so it takes a couple hits to bring a model down)

e: also yeah demigryphs had like 246 HP per

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

Panfilo posted:

There are plenty of high HP units like cavalry or smaller squads of dudes that will get proportionally more mileage out of it. A good example were Empire Demigriff knights, which had a small unit of like 16 models with plenty of HP. The healing spells are typically AoE as well so you can heal multiple units close together.

Okay, that is good info. I guess I'm just not understanding the relationship between the HP bar and a unit's model count.

Edit: Thanks, that makes sense. So I'm guessing when an AOE damage ability targets a unit it divides the damage among all the models in it? If that's the case AOE healing looks like a good counter.

Constantine XI fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 15, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Dive the HP total by the number of units. So the smaller the unit size, the more HP each unit has individually.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Constantine XI posted:

Okay, that is good info. I guess I'm just not understanding the relationship between the HP bar and a unit's model count.

The HP bar is the current and total HP of all the models in the unit. Theoretically a unit of 120 infantry could be down to 120 HP out of its 7000-odd without losing any actual troops, but this is incredibly unlikely obviously.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Single-shot for the eagle bolts is also really good in siege attacks. It won't fire properly in multiple shot mode, but in single it can still shoot without hitting allies on the walls. Consistent 100-200 kills in my experience. The eagle bolt thrower is quietly a really good and cost-effective field artillery piece, there's no reason not to add one into every HElven army. I think it's better than the lizard's laser beam dinos at range (obviously less good in melee).

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

HE bolt throwers are exactly like they are on the tabletop, boringly good but not a necessity like archers

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I'm getting into a Very Hard Mazdamundi playthrough and it's hilarious how New World Colonies have become my best friends and one of the more powerful factions. Their ability to support 2.5 stacks off of two provinces at the beginning of the game let me point them towards any mutual enemy and get some easy victories. I've turned the uninhabitable dark elf lands north of Mirror Pools into a New Colony buffer state. Same with the Blue Viper lands south of my starting area. The only downside is that they refused to declare war on the Chaos armies that spawned for the first ritual.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I actually bothered to read the mission description for a bunch of Morathi's missions and it's basically the advisor repeatedly dunking on her

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Just to follow up the mod drama, the guy who made the other mod gave in right away and is changing his to be the Radious version with credit, so no more needed there. Which is good, because steam slapfights are the loving worst.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ravenfood posted:

This. Its somewhat backward, but the ballista seem far more effective in shotgun mode while you let your shades/shards focus-fire the big nasties. They're also not particularly kill-y, a lot of their role is to force the enemy to come to you.

Thank you!

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
The enemy MVP of my current Morathi play through is the saurus lord who's running a dino party, 4 carnosaurs, 4 stegadons, and a bastiladon for flavor. My standard spears/shards/bolt throwers can handle normal saurus armies without a sweat, but these guys keep stomping entire stacks because dinos just don't give a gently caress about battle lines or spears.

marmaduke1979
Mar 15, 2015

Rippling Muscles
Is there a blood mod out for this iteration or is one coming soon?

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
If you're talking about the Blood & Gore DLC, it will be around Soon (tm), and free if you own WH1's Blood & Gore.

marmaduke1979
Mar 15, 2015

Rippling Muscles

Gejnor posted:

If you're talking about the Blood & Gore DLC, it will be around Soon (tm), and free if you own WH1's Blood & Gore.

Great, yeah I have WH1. Thanks for the info.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

sassassin posted:

I didn't think much of white lions until I made a gimmick army in confederated Chrace and two stacks of chaos warriors tried disrupting the ritual up there.

Eagles are really good in groups, too.

An eagle is for backing up a Lord for Lord-on-Lord duels I find. Or mobbing the gently caress out of a dragon or whatever. It's also good for sniping out artillery.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

jokes posted:

An eagle is for backing up a Lord for Lord-on-Lord duels I find. Or mobbing the gently caress out of a dragon or whatever. It's also good for sniping out artillery.

Do you know what I find works great for mobbing the gently caress out of a dragon?

19 dragons.

Just their collective lasers is enough to kill like, 5 of them.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

My reinforcing army consisted of nothing but a low level warlord and slaves, who all entered the battle exhausted due to needing to march into position to reinforce and then run across the map due to the reinforcement angle bug being back in TW2. :allears:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I get so mad when my guys reinforce from behind the enemy and get swiftly crushed despite the armies being side by side on the map. I wish there was some kind of way to say which side reinforcements will arrive from based on map positioning. I know the map doesn't mean very much given the scope of territory your little man is moving over and wouldn't expect to choose whatever you like, it's just annoying on those occassions when your reinforcements make absolutely no sense.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Has anyone tried fire bola teradons? I was a bit skeptical but they seem really good against most archers/low armor swarms.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

JBP posted:

I get so mad when my guys reinforce from behind the enemy and get swiftly crushed despite the armies being side by side on the map. I wish there was some kind of way to say which side reinforcements will arrive from based on map positioning. I know the map doesn't mean very much given the scope of territory your little man is moving over and wouldn't expect to choose whatever you like, it's just annoying on those occassions when your reinforcements make absolutely no sense.

I kind of freel like the Lightning Strike blue skill could be further split into 2 separate skills that only allow you to pick one:

Lightning Strike: Like how it works now
Tactical Genius: When reinforcing allows you to choose where this reinforcing army would come in, with each additional skill point widening the selectable area.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

NovemberMike posted:

Has anyone tried fire bola teradons? I was a bit skeptical but they seem really good against most archers/low armor swarms.

They are great for flying just behind walls and then blowing the gently caress out of everything standing on them. It's less effective from the front due to the crenelations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Panfilo posted:

I kind of freel like the Lightning Strike blue skill could be further split into 2 separate skills that only allow you to pick one:

Lightning Strike: Like how it works now
Tactical Genius: When reinforcing allows you to choose where this reinforcing army would come in, with each additional skill point widening the selectable area.

This would be cool and also a perfectly named skill.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Got a really weird bug: I paused a battle and now I can't unpause it. The UI button doesn't do anything, and neither does the keyboard shortcut (even if I try remapping it).

Anyone else had this issue and know a fix/workaround? I'd rather not have to concede this battle and reload if I can help it.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Google tells me it is a problem with the steam overlay (shift+tab). No-one has found a solution. Total War games have had this issue popping up since 2015.

You could try to Activate the game application and/or kill the Steam process in task manager.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Thanks. I hadn't actually used the overlay (just paused the game while I went out to talk with someone and when I came back it was stuck), but bringing it up and closing it now has resolved the issue.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
A fix for the idle unit bug will be included with the first patch.:yotj:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Kroq Gar :suicide:

Playing Queek, easily took all the Fortress of Dawn stuff. Somehow got on Zlatan's good side by just constantly fighting the Elves, so we had a NA Pact for awhile there while I Elf Murdered.

Looked up at Caverns of Sotek and Moulder had 4-5 armies on it, so I decided to leave it alone, instead went for the actual Island of Dawn because I had heard so much about the lategame dragon armies they poo poo out, and knew I wouldn't get another chance after the Kroqgar hellwar starts.

Zlatan takes the island from me after I raze it ( gently caress ), then drops the NA Pact ( gently caress gently caress gently caress ). As I sail back, I see Kroqgar conquer all of the Skaven lands to Caverns of Sotek, one per turn. He then confederates the northern Lizards.

Thankfully he's also at war with seemingly everyone. Both UD groups up north, a bunch of Beastmen, etc etc. I'm hoping they distract him long enough for me to kill Zlatan and get a bit more expansion in before he declares on me.

I think what I'm going to do is fight north of my capital city, take Zlatan, then retake the other Lizard stuff in the area. Hopefully find more people that hate Kroqgar to join with me. More importantly though, I think I can hold the Tor whatever city I stole from the Fortress of Dawn guys for basically ever against the Lizard hordes. And if I can scour out that northern area a bit, I can then move through the Golden Colossus pass and split up his armies before hopefully reclaiming all of the previous Skaven cities.

I am very scared of the lizards, my poor rats aren't built to kill lizards.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

jokes posted:

I had three working as a team to take out a pair of hellcanons and then charge the main line of chaos warriors from behind. Carnage.

They get lonely on their own but thrive with some bros to keep them company.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Rookersh posted:

Kroq Gar :suicide:

Playing Queek, easily took all the Fortress of Dawn stuff. Somehow got on Zlatan's good side by just constantly fighting the Elves, so we had a NA Pact for awhile there while I Elf Murdered.

Looked up at Caverns of Sotek and Moulder had 4-5 armies on it, so I decided to leave it alone, instead went for the actual Island of Dawn because I had heard so much about the lategame dragon armies they poo poo out, and knew I wouldn't get another chance after the Kroqgar hellwar starts.

Zlatan takes the island from me after I raze it ( gently caress ), then drops the NA Pact ( gently caress gently caress gently caress ). As I sail back, I see Kroqgar conquer all of the Skaven lands to Caverns of Sotek, one per turn. He then confederates the northern Lizards.

Thankfully he's also at war with seemingly everyone. Both UD groups up north, a bunch of Beastmen, etc etc. I'm hoping they distract him long enough for me to kill Zlatan and get a bit more expansion in before he declares on me.

I think what I'm going to do is fight north of my capital city, take Zlatan, then retake the other Lizard stuff in the area. Hopefully find more people that hate Kroqgar to join with me. More importantly though, I think I can hold the Tor whatever city I stole from the Fortress of Dawn guys for basically ever against the Lizard hordes. And if I can scour out that northern area a bit, I can then move through the Golden Colossus pass and split up his armies before hopefully reclaiming all of the previous Skaven cities.

I am very scared of the lizards, my poor rats aren't built to kill lizards.

No, but they can build things to kill lizards. Catapults carve them up good and proper. Just fix them in place with bodies and bombard them to pieces.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Going from Skaven to High Elves, they seen incredibly newbie-friendly. Spearmen+archers are a solid combination, or you could get both combined in the form of Sea Guard. While their overall roster is similar to Empires, I feel like High Elf units have better leadership.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
He only real bad thing High Elves have are the Artillery. That and they ain’t cheap

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's weird that when playing as Lothern, Seaguard are one of the worst roster options.

Tyrion's peasant militia is twice as effective at half the cost.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

sassassin posted:

It's weird that when playing as Lothern, Seaguard are one of the worst roster options.

Tyrion's peasant militia is twice as effective at half the cost.

Really? Guess I'll have to keep that in consideration in my campaign.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
A fun little detail I recently noticed:

So in the Skaven Campaign, it is revealed that The Skaven built a goddamn SPACESHIP to go on a suborbital flight and resemble the twin-tailed comet, fooling everybody else..

This is significant in that during the High Elf intro, one of the astronomer dudes mentions "The twin tailed comet flies lower than before, that's unusual...".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Fans posted:

He only real bad thing High Elves have are the Artillery. That and they ain’t cheap

Bolt claw throwers are amazing, even if they show as zero kills.

They do an absurd about of model damage spread out over multiple units.

Which means they units insta-route when your first volley of arrows hit.