Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Maybe next season TSM will work on their weakness of "the enemy having a single thought enter their heads within the first 30 minutes of the game, including during champ select."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama

mistaya posted:

Honestly I feel really bad for G2, they'd have got out of any other group at least 2nd (or probably 1st in D). There was just no room for them in the group they drew. And I have been quick to call them garbage in the tournaments where they choked hard, this was not one of them though.

TSM, man... they got the lucky seed and played like poo poo. Real disappointed in them. The wild cards had better early game play. I don't see anything 'korean style' about DL repeatedly rocketjumping into a kogmaw's face and then dying to the most obvious ganks either. Sven just looked completely lost and if you want to blame the meta they could have let him play something like Khazix who's seen success in the tournament already...

So now it's up to C9...

Tonight's going to be a sad night for NA isn't it.

C9 has been playing for early game and varying their champ select. If any team was actually going to make it out this tournament it’s them.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

C9 definitely showed they were actually adapting to the meta curve by the end of last week, but my confidence in any NA team is rapidly dwindling so I really need to see what happens during their first game tonight to tell whether or not C9 actually have been noticing adaptations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

As long as edg is still playing like last week then c9 has second place in their group imo

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ulio posted:

Wait what? Bjerg hard carried their only win today.

I'm not sure I'd call it a carry performance considering that he was gifted all of his kills by some insane bumbling from MSF. The style TSM played that game was the style they played domestically and in week 1: play very passive, wait for the enemy to gently caress up, and then capitalize. The lack of any real midlane/jungle pressure and the lack of decisive shotcalling makes it extraordinarily difficult for them to do anything against competent, aggressive teams. I think they would've gotten 0-3'd if Alphari hadn't lost his mind in champ select and if MSF didn't try to force so many weird plays in the midgame. If Bjerg can't make the necessary calls, then they need to find someone that can, either by junking Sven and getting an Xmithie-style jungler or finding a mid who's willing to pull the trigger when needed.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
C9 not making it out would be pretty bad considering edg and ahq are really bad right now

Post Alone
Mar 29, 2010

Frankly any team whose players utter words like "cum" and "dong" doesn't deserve to make it out of groups.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Biofrost carried the MSF game, his Rakan engages blew up the solo laners before they could react to Twitch ult and allowed DL to shred the whole team. Bjergsen wasn't really stomped other than the game vs. xiye's Jayce but he also never put the team on his back like Jensen did vs. EDG

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Rip DIG

http://www.espn.com/esports/story/_/id/21024198/dignitas-league-legends-championship-series-franchising-application-declined

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Holy gently caress it costs a $13 million buy in to get an LCS slot now?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Libertine posted:

Holy gently caress it costs a $13 million buy in to get an LCS slot now?
They're doing away with relegations now and participating in revenue sharing

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Looks like The Three Kings still have some pull.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

also probably see ya later P1 if you can infer anything about other established orgs not making it.

EDIT: totally forgot about FLY. They're toast.

NotQuiteQuentin fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 15, 2017

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Vermain posted:

I'm not sure I'd call it a carry performance considering that he was gifted all of his kills by some insane bumbling from MSF. The style TSM played that game was the style they played domestically and in week 1: play very passive, wait for the enemy to gently caress up, and then capitalize. The lack of any real midlane/jungle pressure and the lack of decisive shotcalling makes it extraordinarily difficult for them to do anything against competent, aggressive teams. I think they would've gotten 0-3'd if Alphari hadn't lost his mind in champ select and if MSF didn't try to force so many weird plays in the midgame. If Bjerg can't make the necessary calls, then they need to find someone that can, either by junking Sven and getting an Xmithie-style jungler or finding a mid who's willing to pull the trigger when needed.

totally agree.

Its funny because people were praising tsm in the first week for playing "korean style" aka win late game teamfights/outmacro.

I actually think TSM's last year super early focus was a good idea they just had a really tough group.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Ulio posted:

totally agree.

Its funny because people were praising tsm in the first week for playing "korean style" aka win late game teamfights/outmacro.

I actually think TSM's last year super early focus was a good idea they just had a really tough group.

Wait what? Anyone praising TSM in the first week is retarded. TSM looked like rear end in week 1 and then promptly played the same exact way in week 2 because they don't have any clue how to actually adapt.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

RealFoxy posted:

Someone will drop a game to Flash Wolves in a really dumb way and ruin their chances at getting out of this group

hhahahaha

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
we can still get a 1-11 week with all three NA teams losing tiebreakers, believe

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

EDG somehow pulling a FNC solely to spite C9 would honestly be pretty funny.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

g2 and tsm focusing so hard on best of threes and both teams having pretty bad records in game ones meant this could happen. i already posted about that bc im an expert paid analyst tho

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Lovechop posted:

https://medium.com/@Oddoman/no-eu-team-will-get-out-of-groups-all-3-na-teams-will-f964ee0803e4

dunno if any of you guys wanna read the work of an Aspiring Esports Journalist, League of Legends Expert but

also re: the sven discussion i really think it's coaching, or the team, or something. sven in all other teams he's been in has been this aggressive, playmaking, mechanical dude that just doesn't seem to be there in TSM. it seems like they turn all of their junglers into this guy

i think the reason sven looks like poo poo is he was always good at doing like solo invades and stealing camps and poo poo, and that play style really wouldnt work nowadays teams are for the most part too coordinated to just solo invade blind and steal camps on nidalee, else peanut would be the best jungler in the world. like the way skt use blank is proof purchase the old sven style wouldnt work

HAVING SAID THAT, TSM still let him spend too much time like a dumb rear end in the enemy jungle while they have drafted multiple losing lanes, if not an entire team of losing lanes. on some level this is actually an intentional strategy, for instance TSM had massive control of enemy blue buff (and often traded it for poo poo that was worth a lot more than blue buff) so like this is a massive failure in a drafting sense and a coaching one. possibly even a team building one! if sven cant do poo poo but invade the enemy jungle then you either need to draft around accommodating that and incorporate it more into the gameplan or hit sven with hammers until he learns to play correctly, as is the korean style that is so popular in europe and has branched out to other regions such as korea

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

g2 are to worlds what h2k are to playoffs. liquid would be the team i would compare tsm to but they somehow got so bad the forever 4th joke seems like a distant dream.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Radical posted:

g2 are to worlds what h2k are to playoffs. liquid would be the team i would compare tsm to but they somehow got so bad the forever 4th joke seems like a distant dream.
Thanks to the end of relegations Liquid can sink to 10th every season while still trying to figure out why nobody on the team likes each other

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Radical posted:

g2 would probably be fine if not for that pesky best of one group stage which nobody had any idea of predicting would get played in worlds again

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama

rabidsquid posted:

g2 would probably be fine if not for that pesky best of one group stage which nobody had any idea of predicting would get played in worlds again

That’s a really good point. TSM’s way forward has always been to adapt over the course of a series. Hell, SKT wouldn’t even be ar Worlds if it was based on best of ones. Fortunately for them they are good enough to manage againsr most of the non Korean teams in the world. But really, best of BO1 is loving garbage.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Yeah TSM can adapt during a series but can't adapt from week to week, that makes a lot of sense.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
TSM couldn't even adapt over 4 games

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Loosing a cheese game against GAM is one thing but losing to Misfits playing a legitimate draft just means you are the worst team. Hope that helps

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

uh those are distinctly different things but okay

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

RealFoxy posted:

Loosing a cheese game against GAM is one thing but losing to Misfits playing a legitimate draft just means you are the worst team. Hope that helps

g2 and tsm would have both been out of the playoffs if the regular season was seeded on the first game in the best of three, but were both first place in their region. hope this helps

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

g2 and tsm would have both been out of the playoffs if the regular season was seeded on the first game in the best of three, but were both first place in their region. hope this helps
It doesn't help because many teams including TSM members have stated that they use Game 1 as a "Scrim" to see how that team is playing that day before taking things more seriously, a thing SKT also do in Best Of's

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

A best of 3 isn't going to help Sven playing passive jungle and Doublelift's bad positioning. Perkz actually looked like one of the best laners of the tournament but so has Uzi before and simultaneously failed to make it out of groups.

TSM played too passive before 20 minutes in, and afterwards failed to capitalize on other teams mistakes, something that Longzhu and RNG definitely do so far. Give those teams an inch, and they'll take a mile. Give TSM an inch, and they'll cower backwards four more because Regi beat it into their heads to play safe and passive until any gold leads are borderline irrelevant. Bio and Hauntzer played pretty well all tournament and tried their best to make plays but Bjergsen never had the confidence to clap people, Doublelift had too much confidence, and Sven was just a ward.

Honestly Sven and Bjergsen would be better players in a different Org or even back in Europe because mechanically they're fine to outstanding, but whoever decides TSM's macro has them cowering or playing out of their comfort zones.

Also Doublelift is finally playing in a meta built specifically for hyper carries and for whatever reason just did stupid poo poo in half their games that lead to them not making it out.

If you want to talk about G2, Trick and Mithy were over-rated and Zven and Expect were just on auto-pilot.

Out of the players so far that didn't make it out of groups, Perkz, Bio, Levi, and Hauntzer were definitely playing much better than the rest of their teams.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

RealFoxy posted:

Out of the players so far that didn't make it out of groups, Perkz, Bio, Levi, and Hauntzer were definitely playing much better than the rest of their teams.

Yeah for sure. I'd add the adc on GAM to that list as well.

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I just finished watching Death Wish 4 and have arranged a circle of knives around myself like the Joker in that scene from Suicide Squad

time to root for NA in the League of Legends World Championship

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

rabidsquid posted:

g2 and tsm focusing so hard on best of threes and both teams having pretty bad records in game ones meant this could happen. i already posted about that bc im an expert paid analyst tho

Not picking on this post specifically, since this has come up like 30 times during the worlds discussion; however, I don't get how teams like "get away" with this excuse. It doesn't hold any water for me.

Who cares if it's Bo1/2/3/5? The problem most of the losing teams always have is 1) weak drafts 2) bad macro decisions 3) wild card mental mistakes. None of that like gets better or worse depending on how the match scheduling works. Most of the teams who make those mistakes make them match after match.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

YO WESTDOOR LET'S GOOOOOOOO

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

LOL the blind pick Fizz against Faker holy poo poo

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Didn't Westdoor gently caress Faker up last year with the random Fizz pick?

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

RealFoxy posted:

two years ago

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

I don't think they even won but Westdoor got like 2 or 3 solo kills on Faker before he decided to keep diving miles deep into SKT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Jensen start taking notes on how to clap faker