Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Don't forget that most of these guys who won have spent a small fortune to even get that million to one chance to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Of course it happens, but dozens of people win tens/hundreds of thousand every week. That's a pretty small sample in their list.

"Found dead under slab" though...yeesh.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
The individual anecdotes are meaningless - the hike in statistics about going bankrupt or having other problems is what stands out to me.

On the other hand, it's presumably easy to mitigate if you aren't a total idiot or surrounded by parasitic family members.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

this happened in CT with some hedge fund managers

they did s blind trust

I mean, it seems to make a lot of sense to have a bunch of rich people claim it on your behalf if you can.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Zeris posted:

The individual anecdotes are meaningless - the hike in statistics about going bankrupt or having other problems is what stands out to me.

On the other hand, it's presumably easy to mitigate if you aren't a total idiot or surrounded by parasitic family members.

unfortunately by its own nature the people most likely to win aren't good decision makers

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
If I won, after I buy a nice house out right and pay off my car, I'm buying a kilogram of coke. This would never happen though cause I have never bought a ticket before, and don't plan to. Actually I lied, I bought one ticket for that huge win in January when I was in California. The winning ticket was sold 15m from my cousin's where I was staying.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Zeris, if you think I'm gonna whitelist Forbes ads, oh boy. They can suck my adblock dick from the back. (Also Forbes would do anything and everything to explain how some dumb pleb getting money is inferior to all those poor HENRYs out there)

A better source: https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/01/lottery-winners-research/423543/

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

mlmp08 posted:

Zeris, if you think I'm gonna whitelist Forbes ads, oh boy. They can suck my adblock dick from the back. (Also Forbes would do anything and everything to explain how some dumb pleb getting money is inferior to all those poor HENRYs out there)

A better source: https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/01/lottery-winners-research/423543/

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en

goomsnarr
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah, yeah...

Flikken posted:

Do hurricanes normally hit the British isles?

The last time was 30 years ago, pretty much to the day.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

goomsnarr posted:

The last time was 30 years ago, pretty much to the day.

Like the Mexico City earthquake(s).

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

How's this match up to the storm that punked the Spanish Armada?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

wait, is this real?

https://twitter.com/wyatt_privilege/status/919173846015594496

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
They have several different kinds of blades. Nothin personnel kid...

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

LingcodKilla posted:

How's this match up to the storm that punked the Spanish Armada?

If it sinks our crappy carriers I'll buy it a loving prize.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

It's called The Order of the Sword, and they give it to generals who "have made significant contributions to the enlisted corps".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Sword_(United_States)

Some USAF Jerkoff posted:

The original order of the sword was patterned after two orders of chivalry founded during the Middle Ages in Europe: the (British) Royal Order of the Sword and the Swedish Military Order of the Sword, still in existence today [not since 1975].
In 1522, King Gustavus I of Sweden ordered the noblemen commissioned by him to appoint officers to serve him, and these people became known as the noncommissioned officers.

I can't help but think that it's somehow connected to the Mormons.

BigDave fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 15, 2017

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Huh. They gave one to Bob Hope.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Order of the Sword and awarded to flag officers should refer solely to the most junior guy gets to execute them.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
He-man seems like least likely possible junior guy ever

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

quote:

Some USAF Jerkoff posted:
The original order of the sword was patterned after two orders of chivalry founded during the Middle Ages in Europe: the (British) Royal Order of the Sword and the Swedish Military Order of the Sword, still in existence today [not since 1975].
In 1522, King Gustavus I of Sweden ordered the noblemen commissioned by him to appoint officers to serve him, and these people became known as the noncommissioned officers.

This sounds like total bullshit. I'm admittedly not a historian, but 15 minutes of googling makes it seem like neither of these things actually exist. The Air Force literally made up their own anime ritual and are pretending it's an ancient Nordic honor. What the gently caress, irony is dead.

E: Shoulda just clicked through to the Wiki page, it says as much right after this bit :downs:

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 15, 2017

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://twitter.com/jnsanchez/status/918491902147743745

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Lol there are more swords in the replies and they're so stupid

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The funny poo poo is that at retail value that poo poo costs the same as an MRE. They could be distributing MREs for the same or less cost! (MRE's suck but they're a hell of a lot better than loving Vienna Sausages)

You can at least survive off MREs :wtc:.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

orange juche posted:

The funny poo poo is that at retail value that poo poo costs the same as an MRE. They could be distributing MREs for the same or less cost! (MRE's suck but they're a hell of a lot better than loving Vienna Sausages)

Like god drat how loving hard is this? They're MREs, I guarantee someone FEMA can get ahold of has palettes of the things sitting around somewhere. I've moved entire palettes of the loving things myself, I know they exist. I mean I get that the roads have been wiped out and all but there is no reason for people to be drinking poo poo water and running out of food short of Trump dicking over the entire island and his minions half-assing the support they give to the operation at every level possible.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

orange juche posted:

Who knew nutrition was so hard? :smugdon:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

orange juche posted:

This is poo poo that was donated, guarantee it. MRE's would cost money, and we can't spend money on people!!!!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

The Air Force took the wrong messages from ace combat

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
The worse thing that could ever happen to taxpayer dollars is that they get spent.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Peetown Manning posted:

The worse thing that could ever happen to taxpayer dollars is that they get spent on poor people instead of corporations.

You missed a bit, gotcha covered.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Peetown Manning posted:

The worse thing that could ever happen to taxpayer dollars is that they get spent.

https://twitter.com/stevebruskCNN/status/919356553286881280

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Theyre the only places that will burn a steak the way he likes it

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Don't we have like warehouses full of MRE's and Humanitarian Rations just sitting there :psyduck:

M_Gargantua posted:

Go Dance with the Angels Mister

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Fyre festival wishes they were that good

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

bird food bathtub posted:

Like god drat how loving hard is this? They're MREs, I guarantee someone FEMA can get ahold of has palettes of the things sitting around somewhere. I've moved entire palettes of the loving things myself, I know they exist. I mean I get that the roads have been wiped out and all but there is no reason for people to be drinking poo poo water and running out of food short of Trump dicking over the entire island and his minions half-assing the support they give to the operation at every level possible.

The camp I'm on that's the size of a football field has 400 boxes in a connex that aren't used because nobody knows who eats the cost if we use them. There's warehouses with the same deal going on, we could send them out before they get inevitably vanished

subterfudge
Aug 5, 2015

M_Gargantua posted:

We could use more flying aircraft carriers, railgun arrays, and airborne lasers. Less anime swords and loot grinding.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

maffew buildings posted:

The camp I'm on that's the size of a football field has 400 boxes in a connex that aren't used because nobody knows who eats the cost if we use them. There's warehouses with the same deal going on, we could send them out before they get inevitably vanished

Get a flatbed semi and write up paperwork that "FEMA" is shipping hem to PR, then drive them cross county.

Good karma will retroactively make it fine and you'll get an award!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They're orange skittles too, to prevent scurvy!

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

I was on the USS Ronald Reagan when that Carnival cruise ship lit on fire, lost power and was adrift west of Mexico. We were the closest ship to render aid before the Mexican Coast guard or whatever could get there.

We airlifted pallets of supplies to them because all their refrigerators were offline. Those thankful passengers had the finest of Vienna Sausages to dine on until they got back to port in San Diego. I bet they were thankful the U.S. Navy was there!

Long story short, I guess Vienna Sausages are standardized disaster response meals.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I mean the least they could do is give those poor folks the bbq or jalapeno flavored ones. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

subterfudge posted:

loot grinding

This explains a lot about Afghanistan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Shelf life in that case. Also can't prepare meals without power. Ships generally don't carry pallets of MREs like what would be required I'm betting. Probably a different case than PR where they KNOW it's going to be loving months, they have them sitting around and can easily get them there.

• Locked thread