Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Everything Burrito posted:

I'm not sure you actually know what a wet blanket is.

She's very much not a wet blanket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Agronox posted:

you know what really grinds my gears

Grinding gears?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hate gear grinds

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sakurazuka posted:

I hate gear grinds

Drakengard?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I somehow didn't notice until this episode but when the gems in Lustrous touch each other or stone they make clunking noises.

Also I can't believe there are two shows airing simultaneously with characters named Bort.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Wait this is a show based on actual minerals?

:getin:
Geo shoowwwwwwwww

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sindai posted:

I somehow didn't notice until this episode but when the gems in Lustrous touch each other or stone they make clunking noises.
I love it
*clink clank*

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Jade bein' bonked with a hammer :3:

Snail friend is powerful

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

Im having a hard time liking Land of the Lustrous. The low frame rate cg still really annoys me, but not nearly as much as Phos's wet blanket personality. But the world and its look is still great, and the op is amazing.

Phos is a wet blanket...? :crossarms:
Considering Phos is the one trying to get people to do stuff and hang out, I think you're a bit off base. On the other hand Cinnabar is one, yes. Then again, she has a very good reason to be.

LoL continues to put out some nice CG moments, though Dia's hand reveal didn't seem as epic as it was in the manga/original trailer
( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HBVq6wpLLw )

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I was going to write off Blend S just from the description. But then by the time the season comes around I usually forget all the descriptions anyway so I just watch an episode or two of everything that is available to see what sticks. If I had to compare this to other anime, the closest match would be probably be the various seasons of Working!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Indiana_Krom posted:

I was going to write off Blend S just from the description. But then by the time the season comes around I usually forget all the descriptions anyway so I just watch an episode or two of everything that is available to see what sticks. If I had to compare this to other anime, the closest match would be probably be the various seasons of Working!

yeah the premise misses a few key bits to the setup that make it seem way worse. like just saying the main girl has a naturally mean face and is always assumed to be scary/sadistic would've stopped me from writing it off. episode 2 was really good, just hoping the cast fills out sooner rather than later.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Am I misremembering something or did a lot of people loathe the last adaptation of Kino's Journey for some reason or another?

On a completely unrelated note, it seems like the "jiku hairu" thing was only a thing for the weird anime-original episode 0, in case that (understandably) put anyone off their supper. Now that we're into the "real" episodes, they're going with "Shouri wo ataetamae" in Dies Irae

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

Am I misremembering something or did a lot of people loathe the last adaptation of Kino's Journey for some reason or another?

people still bring up the scanline filter on it being awful, but that's about the only thing i hear mentioned negatively.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Phos has done basically nothing but complain to ppl, be extremely clingy, and basically get in everyone's way. I say that constitutes being a wet blanket.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Kytrarewn posted:

the original adaptation is often remembered as one of the best anime ever made by a number of people as far as i've seen so, uh, no

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
a wet blanket is someone who disapproves of other people's fun and activities and ruins it for them by making them feel bad about it

i havent watched the show but someone's who clingy and gets in everyone's poo poo is not a wet blanket

see also: a party pooper
or "raining on someone's parade"

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 15, 2017

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ViggyNash posted:

Phos has done basically nothing but complain to ppl, be extremely clingy, and basically get in everyone's way. I say that constitutes being a wet blanket.

wet blan·ket
ˈwet ˈˌblaNGkət/Submit
nouninformal
a person who spoils other people's fun by failing to join in with or by disapproving of their activities.

You don't like her, and whatever who cares but that's not what those words mean

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
people itt using words wrong is sincerely my favorite running gag

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

dogsicle posted:

people still bring up the scanline filter on it being awful, but that's about the only thing i hear mentioned negatively.
That was intentional? I thought it was some weird encode playback issue since the series was relatively old. What a bizarre choice.

And yeah that was pretty much the only bad thing about it.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Land of the Lustrous is easily my favorite show this season. I imagine some precipitation out of a solution will be in the next episode since Phos pretty well got dissolved!!!!!.

ViggyNash posted:

she's trying!

edit: the setting for this show intrigues me, especially the little bit of explanation we got at the beginning of this 2nd ep. I hope this series ends up with all the different minerals building a boat and meeting other minerals on other islands.

wolfs fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 15, 2017

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I've never heard it in context of being disapproving of other people, my bad I guess.

My point is that I see no point t her character at all so far. The only interesting thing she's done has been confronting cinnabar about her nihilistic attitude, but this episode entirely ignored that and went back to phos endlessly complaining about her problems to people and literally getting in everyone's way.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Moltrey posted:

people itt using words wrong is sincerely my favorite running gag

It's a good one, as the crow flies.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
this wet blanket is a train wreck

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Phos is a whiny, self-absorbed, brat

and i love it, they're hilarious and at least have some part of their heart in the right place

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
flawed and kinda lovely protags own imo

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

ViggyNash posted:

I've never heard it in context of being disapproving of other people, my bad I guess.

My point is that I see no point t her character at all so far. The only interesting thing she's done has been confronting cinnabar about her nihilistic attitude, but this episode entirely ignored that and went back to phos endlessly complaining about her problems to people and literally getting in everyone's way.

she's literally the lens through which the audience sees all the other characters? she's a subpar-to-average lazybones and surrounded by these people with really distinct skills and relationships, whereas she's kind of a blank. no other gem so far has seemed so listless. her role as this encyclopedia writer is the narrative excuse to find out all kinds of wild poo poo and to poke around the island they all live on.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I'm glad of the multiple shows with main characters trying, or supposed to be trying, to keep historical records

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

dogsicle posted:

Maybe I'm conflating it with some other show with a similar name, I don't know. I'm liking the 2017 version and there's a chance of me going back to watch 2008 after the season, but I'll have to decide that then.

rincewind101 posted:

she's literally the lens through which the audience sees all the other characters? she's a subpar-to-average lazybones and surrounded by these people with really distinct skills and relationships, whereas she's kind of a blank. no other gem so far has seemed so listless. her role as this encyclopedia writer is the narrative excuse to find out all kinds of wild poo poo and to poke around the island they all live on.

I sympathize with her. She's been told her whole life that she can't really do anything valuable, in part because, by accident of birth (or something), she's too soft and valuable to go outside (basically "Just sit around and look pretty"). Now she's been given a nonsensical make-work indoors job while all of her compatriots are out there risking their lives/freedom. A certain amount of defensiveness is only to be expected.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

weird how the Land of the Lustrous discussion just glossed over this bit of the ep, though

https://my.mixtape.moe/tvtqvp.webm

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

weird how the Land of the Lustrous discussion just glossed over this bit of the ep, though

Lol

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

I sympathize with her. She's been told her whole life that she can't really do anything valuable, in part because, by accident of birth (or something), she's too soft and valuable to go outside (basically "Just sit around and look pretty"). Now she's been given a nonsensical make-work indoors job while all of her compatriots are out there risking their lives/freedom. A certain amount of defensiveness is only to be expected.

My problem with her isn't her being sad about her unfair circumstances, but the fact that she does literally nothing to improve her life and just complains all the time. Even worse, this status quo has apparently been going on for hundreds of years.

If the reason for that is because there just hasn't been something that either only she could do or that no one else had time to do, then the show should be about finally finding that place in their society. However the show hasn't made any hints as to what that might be since the one thing she's been asked to do she is either too lazy or incompetent to do. If instead the show is only about the conflict between the gem girls and the moon monsters, then why is phos the main character? I highly doubt this show is gonna set her up as a Nick Carraway narrator, but it's possible that's the reason for the encyclopedia task.

I'll see if the if the next episode answers my concerns at all. I want to like this show because of its neat setting and style, but I really don't like Phos so far.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

do you not think this encyclopedia task is going to result in Phos coming to understand the world and her place in it? all of this just seems like complaints that the show isn't neatly resolving the central arc in two episodes out of the entire season (which i expect won't complete the arc either). episode 2 already has Phos showing a motivation that isn't just self-serving (helping Cinnabar), though that is obviously tempered by her personality quirks that result in self-doubt and procrastination.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i demand characters without flaws

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
gems without inclusions

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Homura and Sickle posted:

i demand characters without flaws

Kyubey doesn't have flaws.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

dogsicle posted:

Never 👏 Trust 👏 Nice 👏 Girls

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

iospace posted:

Kyubey doesn't have flaws.

Kyubey doesn't know what a flaw is

kater
Nov 16, 2010

The first ep of Just Because is probably my most favorite episode of anything ever and I'm scared to watch more. Like holy hell it is goood.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

kater posted:

The first ep of Just Because is probably my most favorite episode of anything ever and I'm scared to watch more. Like holy hell it is goood.

Second episode is just as good. Its awkward teens navigating their awkward teen feelings, no more or less. I like the cast so far and its a rather pretty show.

Speaking of, I really should go and finish Tsuki ga Kirei

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

dogsicle posted:

Is this Rwby?

• Locked thread