Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Discendo Vox posted:

PC or maybe mac adventure game I played briefly in a web cafe as a child. Vaguely Indiana Jones like, starting in a Egyptian tomb with a guide book and a explorer's skeleton with a diary.

The last entry is something like " the hieroglyphs translate to [some Egyptian god]. So now all I have to do is..."

Probably not it, but Waxworks has an egyptian level with an indiana jones style boulder trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

Here's a game I played as a wee lad that I'd be grateful if anyone remembers what it was.

It's a shareware game from the DOS/maybe early Windows 3.11 era, a sci-fi colony sim that might have had 'planet' in the name. The story is five ships full of cryo-frozen settlers are heading out to colonize a planet, but something goes wrong and the game starts with you, the captain, unfrozen just as the ships are falling towards a strange planet. You'd have 30-60 seconds to pick a landing spot on a map, with klaxons blaring and red alarms flashing. It's a fairly simple map, with just three colors indicating ground, water and rock. You'd need to pick one with all three, otherwise you'd be resource constrained and fail. Then it'd switch to planetfall as all five ships touch down, if any would land on water or rock they'd blow up, and the longer you took picking a spot the bigger chance ships would explode while touching down anways, and you'd almost always lose a ship touching down.

Then it'd switch to a sort of top-down/isometric view of the planet with the ships functioning as initial colony hubs, and then you can build tunnels and other buildings using material supplies onboard the ships to build water and food plants, mining sites, apartment domes, medical domes, command&control domes etc. There was a mechanic where you had a certain number of settlers frozen that you could unfreeze as you had space/resources for, there was research for projects/new buildings, poo poo happening like meteor strikes, miscarriages due to stuff in the water, people getting cabin fever and leaving without putting on a space suit...

It's probably impossible to get a hold of now, but if anyone remembers the name I'd be happy just so I can stop obsessing over what this drat game was.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Antilles posted:

Here's a game I played as a wee lad that I'd be grateful if anyone remembers what it was.

It's a shareware game from the DOS/maybe early Windows 3.11 era, a sci-fi colony sim that might have had 'planet' in the name. The story is five ships full of cryo-frozen settlers are heading out to colonize a planet, but something goes wrong and the game starts with you, the captain, unfrozen just as the ships are falling towards a strange planet. You'd have 30-60 seconds to pick a landing spot on a map, with klaxons blaring and red alarms flashing. It's a fairly simple map, with just three colors indicating ground, water and rock. You'd need to pick one with all three, otherwise you'd be resource constrained and fail. Then it'd switch to planetfall as all five ships touch down, if any would land on water or rock they'd blow up, and the longer you took picking a spot the bigger chance ships would explode while touching down anways, and you'd almost always lose a ship touching down.

Then it'd switch to a sort of top-down/isometric view of the planet with the ships functioning as initial colony hubs, and then you can build tunnels and other buildings using material supplies onboard the ships to build water and food plants, mining sites, apartment domes, medical domes, command&control domes etc. There was a mechanic where you had a certain number of settlers frozen that you could unfreeze as you had space/resources for, there was research for projects/new buildings, poo poo happening like meteor strikes, miscarriages due to stuff in the water, people getting cabin fever and leaving without putting on a space suit...

It's probably impossible to get a hold of now, but if anyone remembers the name I'd be happy just so I can stop obsessing over what this drat game was.

Is it Outpost or it's sequel?

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

Fil5000 posted:

Is it Outpost or it's sequel?

Nope, way simpler appearance/interface.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
https://web.archive.org/web/20020202150224/http://kimbrosoft.com/planet.htm

PLANET : The New Frontier maybe

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

loving hell you did it, thanks :D

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

This is going to be pretty vague, for which I apologize.

A relatively recent game, probably released in the past 5 years, definitely in the past 10. I don't remember if it was 2d or 3d, or AAA or indie. I do remember that it involved a great deal of hand to hand combat, and at some point you got an invisibility upgrade that turned most of the rest of the game into beating up very confused mooks who had a lot of trouble coping with an enemy that kept vanishing into thin air. I remember thinking at the time that it felt like someone had watched the canal fight scene from Ghost in the Shell and then made most of a game around it.

As I write this, it's possible that it was Dex with the ArmaGear Invisuit DLC armour, but I'm not sure.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

wb posted:

I've never heard of it before now, but could it be Secrets of the Pyramids? There's a skeleton with a heiroglyph book at the start.

Score! This is it! Nicely done! and the other suggestions are weird enough I wanna look into them for fun, thanks y'all!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Recently released PC game. It's an RPG you play on a simulated desktop and you're encouraged to do stuff like cheat/hack the game within the game.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Was it http://www.adultswim.com/games/pc-console/kingsway/

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

al-azad posted:

Recently released PC game. It's an RPG you play on a simulated desktop and you're encouraged to do stuff like cheat/hack the game within the game.
Kingsway looks like it's it with the simulated desktop, but the latter part of your description brought else Heart.Break() to mind.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

KennyMan666 posted:

Kingsway looks like it's it with the simulated desktop, but the latter part of your description brought else Heart.Break() to mind.

Definitely Kingsway.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I remember watching an LP of a light gun game (possibly played on a PC with a mouse) where the protagonist was working for a mob boss, trying to get his prize horse back. Google isn't helping, sadly. Any ideas? I don't think the game's more than 10 years old.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Blue Estate?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That's it! Thank you.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

ToxicFrog posted:

This is going to be pretty vague, for which I apologize.

A relatively recent game, probably released in the past 5 years, definitely in the past 10. I don't remember if it was 2d or 3d, or AAA or indie. I do remember that it involved a great deal of hand to hand combat, and at some point you got an invisibility upgrade that turned most of the rest of the game into beating up very confused mooks who had a lot of trouble coping with an enemy that kept vanishing into thin air. I remember thinking at the time that it felt like someone had watched the canal fight scene from Ghost in the Shell and then made most of a game around it.

As I write this, it's possible that it was Dex with the ArmaGear Invisuit DLC armour, but I'm not sure.

It kinda sounds a lot like the game 'Oni' that Bungie put out in early 00's, but I don't remember if that let you go invisible. There was definitely a lot of influence from Ghost in the Shell in that game.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Keru posted:

It kinda sounds a lot like the game 'Oni' that Bungie put out in early 00's, but I don't remember if that let you go invisible. There was definitely a lot of influence from Ghost in the Shell in that game.

Oni is the best Ghost in the Shell game and I should replay it one of these days. And it did have an invisibility cheat (and I think a time-limited invisibility item, too).

That's not the game I was thinking of, though, because I remember playing whatever it was in the past year or two and I haven't played Oni since it was released.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Remember me?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RabbitWizard posted:

Remember me?

That would be ironic

Hubbins
Sep 3, 2007
THIS is what a Hubbins looks like.
This is probably a long shot but it has been bugging me for a while. Details are likely to be a bit shaky.

I remember playing a game (probably a demo) back in the late 90's on a PC. There is a moderate chance it was a DOS game but I cannot recall for sure. It was a top down medieval style RPG. The main thing I remember is that there were two towns, in one you could kill all the guards easily while the second town the guards would kill you rather quickly.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hubbins posted:

This is probably a long shot but it has been bugging me for a while. Details are likely to be a bit shaky.

I remember playing a game (probably a demo) back in the late 90's on a PC. There is a moderate chance it was a DOS game but I cannot recall for sure. It was a top down medieval style RPG. The main thing I remember is that there were two towns, in one you could kill all the guards easily while the second town the guards would kill you rather quickly.

Can you remember anything else because you just described like every computer RPG. Was it 3D or 2D? Top down, first person, third person? One character or entire party?

Hubbins
Sep 3, 2007

al-azad posted:

Can you remember anything else because you just described like every computer RPG. Was it 3D or 2D? Top down, first person, third person? One character or entire party?

Top down 2D and one character. It was most likely a demo and based on graphics that I can recall it was probably an earlier DOS game.

I clearly remember two towns with wilderness between them. There were no other towns which makes me think it was a demo. One town was peaceful and you could kill the guards without trouble. The second town was more spartan and the you could not kill the guards before they killed you.

Hubbins fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 16, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hubbins posted:

Top down 2D and one character. It was most likely a demo and based on graphics that I can recall it was probably an earlier DOS game.

I clearly remember two towns with wilderness between them. There were no other towns which makes me think it was a demo. One town was peaceful and you could kill the guards without trouble. The second town was more spartan and the you could not kill the guards before they killed you.

Do you remember the setting? Generic fantasy green pastures and forests or something else?

Do you remember the exploration style? Was it Baldur's Gate style where each location is an icon on a static world map? Early Ultima style with an explorable world map and towns? Late Ultima/Zelda style where all the maps and wilderness are connected?

Was there a reason to kill the guards? Could you steal or break the law or were the guards automatically hostile?

Do you remember combat? Was it turn based or real time?

Was there character creation involved?

CKyle
Jan 15, 2008
I have a couple games I've been wondering about, but for some reason I never bothered to post until now.

First was something I played over the summer or maybe after school in a daycare in the very early 90's. My faulty memory recalls it being on an Apple II maybe? The game itself was totally black and white with line art, but I think the same computer supported the 2D always going left version of Oregon Trail. Anyway, most of my time in the game was spent looking at a town set over maybe two screens. You could interact with some of the buildings. I think the goal was to time travel and study (bring back?) dinosaurs or something. Yeah, this one is a long shot.

I think the second one will be easier. It was a puzzle game my older brother played on his Macintosh back in the 90's. It had two or three modes. One of them featured a bunch of puzzles that were essentially mazes that looked strange to trip you up. In one set of mazes, the white background was covered in vertical or horizontal lines. Your token could only move one step at a time by hopping over a line. I think another set of mazes would feature a pair of tokens. These couldn't pass through walls like a more standard maze, but every button press would try move both tokens a single step. If a wall blocked either token, neither one would move. Another mode of the game featured these pendulum puzzles. I think you would click to subtly alter gravity or generate a little push. The goal was to get the end of the pendulum to cover a hole I think. One of the modes would feature little inspiration quotes between puzzles, including "a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

This last one is probably impossible. It was a mid-to-late 90's shareware RPG for Macintosh (or Windows 98? :ohdear:). The game was divided into distinct sections. I don't think there was much of a story. All graphics including monsters were square tiles with pictures on them. I'm not sure there was even a dedicated battle screen. I remember entering a few short dungeons, usually one per section.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

CKyle posted:

This last one is probably impossible. It was a mid-to-late 90's shareware RPG for Macintosh (or Windows 98? :ohdear:). The game was divided into distinct sections. I don't think there was much of a story. All graphics including monsters were square tiles with pictures on them. I'm not sure there was even a dedicated battle screen. I remember entering a few short dungeons, usually one per section.

Sounds like a lot of that era's roguelikes. Do you remember anything more about it?

If not, I'd suggest looking up castle of the winds and nethack to get an idea.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hubbins posted:

Could be one of the Ultimas?

We need more details dude.

Hubbins
Sep 3, 2007

al-azad posted:

Do you remember the setting? Generic fantasy green pastures and forests or something else?

Do you remember the exploration style? Was it Baldur's Gate style where each location is an icon on a static world map? Early Ultima style with an explorable world map and towns? Late Ultima/Zelda style where all the maps and wilderness are connected?

Was there a reason to kill the guards? Could you steal or break the law or were the guards automatically hostile?

Do you remember combat? Was it turn based or real time?

Was there character creation involved?

Open world exploration with generic forest/wilderness setting, not a world map. World/wilds and cities were separate zones but still same top down view I think. Wilderness had caves and such to explore I believe. Cannot remember about shops/vendors. Guards were not hostile unless attacked (can't recall about theift) I'll have to look at the Ultima games.

CKyle
Jan 15, 2008

Neito posted:

Sounds like a lot of that era's roguelikes. Do you remember anything more about it?

If not, I'd suggest looking up castle of the winds and nethack to get an idea.

I think I remember throwing myself at one of the dungeons over and over again, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't a roguelike with permadeath. I don't think there was any randomized dungeon generation. And the graphics for Caste of the Winds look a little worse than what I'm thinking of.

I understand I didn't give you all much to work with in this case.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

ancient DOS game, cyan and magenta, turn based strategy where you and an opponent were trying to take over a world one territory at a time? each territory had a resource, you had to move your army around to capture territories, I don't think you ever saw anything more detailed than the world map, you could make horses that helped somehow, I know that's not much to go on

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

CKyle posted:

Take a look at Realmz, Exile, Taskmaker / Tomb of Taskmaker, and the Yipe series and see if any of those ring a bell. Those are all the Mac shareware RPGs from that time I can think of, and you pretty much described all of them (though Yipe had Dragon Quest-style combat in windows).

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Oct 17, 2017

Arson Fire
Oct 8, 2010

Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
There was a game I played on one of those shareware cds, probably around the late 90's.
It was a sidescrolling 2D platformer/puzzle game, where you played as a guy with a mallet. You had to smash apart stacks of barrels in order to collapse parts of the level, with the goal of clearing the entire stage of smashable objects. I recall it was very easy to break things in the wrong order, and have to reset the level because you got stuck. There might have been a two player mode to it as well.

I also recall it had a demo reel of the full version, featuring shorts clips of gameplay with an assortment of more exotic hammers.

Sorry it's not much to go on. The name of this game has been bugging me for ages.

CKyle
Jan 15, 2008

Rollersnake posted:

Take a look at Realmz, Exile, Taskmaker / Tomb of Taskmaker, and the Yipe series and see if any of those ring a bell. Those are all the Mac shareware RPGs from that time I can think of, and you pretty much described all of them (though Yipe had Dragon Quest-style combat in windows).

Based on screenshots and the quality and tone of the website, I'm guessing it was Yipe! III. Thanks!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Arson Fire posted:

There was a game I played on one of those shareware cds, probably around the late 90's.
It was a sidescrolling 2D platformer/puzzle game, where you played as a guy with a mallet. You had to smash apart stacks of barrels in order to collapse parts of the level, with the goal of clearing the entire stage of smashable objects. I recall it was very easy to break things in the wrong order, and have to reset the level because you got stuck. There might have been a two player mode to it as well.

I also recall it had a demo reel of the full version, featuring shorts clips of gameplay with an assortment of more exotic hammers.

Sorry it's not much to go on. The name of this game has been bugging me for ages.

Definitely not it since it was PC, but sounds mechanically like wrecking crew

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Arson Fire posted:

Pretty sure it's Trash It

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEdvEEexcJE

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009
I played an edutainment game in 98-99, but I think it was from roughly 95. Windows 3.1 or 95.
Was maths focused, with an underwater theme. It had multiple sub-games. It's possible it was shareware but I remember it having too much cohesion and overall polish for that.

The minigame I remember really clearly involved solving problems written on fish*, and at the end of a stage coins would rain down from the top of the screen**. Collecting these coins would give you money to upgrade an aquarium - furniture and such. Another involved being in a submarine and shooting at mines or something? Less clear on that.

It had FMV-style graphics, like while it wasn't Undersea Adventure, that's kind of the aesthetic it had. Similar to the classic fish screen saver.

*I'm not actually sure if they were on the fish or if the fish were just around and there was a different placement of the math problems.
**I remember this in particular because, being Australian, I was really confused when the 10c coin was smaller than the 5c coin.

It's possible I imagined all of this but I want to be sure. Thanks!

Also, I want to give a shout out to this guy because they already posted the other game I remembered!

Fulla Lizards! posted:

I played a game like this called Math Ace, but it was about trapping viruses inside of a computer. Here's the only video I could find of it. From the intro it looks like there's another game called Word City with the snout aliens you described.

edit: Here's some footage of Word City with terrible commentary.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

I played an edutainment game in 98-99, but I think it was from roughly 95. Windows 3.1 or 95.
Was maths focused, with an underwater theme. It had multiple sub-games. It's possible it was shareware but I remember it having too much cohesion and overall polish for that.

The minigame I remember really clearly involved solving problems written on fish*, and at the end of a stage coins would rain down from the top of the screen**. Collecting these coins would give you money to upgrade an aquarium - furniture and such. Another involved being in a submarine and shooting at mines or something? Less clear on that.

It had FMV-style graphics, like while it wasn't Undersea Adventure, that's kind of the aesthetic it had. Similar to the classic fish screen saver.

*I'm not actually sure if they were on the fish or if the fish were just around and there was a different placement of the math problems.
**I remember this in particular because, being Australian, I was really confused when the 10c coin was smaller than the 5c coin.

It's possible I imagined all of this but I want to be sure. Thanks!

Also, I want to give a shout out to this guy because they already posted the other game I remembered!
Pretty sure I have this. Looks almost identical to Undersea Adventure but it's not. Don't remember any math problems though. Also have another edutainment title called "Mathology" that no one else knows exists. Got them both out of the Scholastic catalogue when I was in grade school. I'll try to dig them up this weekend.

Arson Fire
Oct 8, 2010

Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Wow yeah, I think that's it. Thanks a lot, that one has been bugging me for years.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It's not Rise of the Dragon because I replayed that and it wasn't the same game. But it felt very similar. It was a PC game.

I remember near the beginning, you were in an apartment and if you left the apartment in the wrong way you'd get killed by a dragon. Which is what made me think it was Rise of the Dragon, but it's not.

It's half remembered but I'd like to find it if I can.

Any ideas?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

ancient DOS game, cyan and magenta, turn based strategy where you and an opponent were trying to take over a world one territory at a time? each territory had a resource, you had to move your army around to capture territories, I don't think you ever saw anything more detailed than the world map, you could make horses that helped somehow, I know that's not much to go on

Maybe Lords of Conquest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Hal Incandenza posted:

Maybe Lords of Conquest?

holy poo poo this is exactly it, thank you so much! i've been trying to remember this game FOREVER