Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

No, I don't think so - I'd need to buy that marker and then, well, shaky hands. The plan right now is to finish this fellow, tackle stickers - as many as I dare to do - and admire my first kit.

Sakura Pigma Micron pens in 005 size from Michael's work pretty well, as does a mechanical pencil lead in the smallest size available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

40Inch posted:

I haven't been building gunpla long, but I like to use the tip of my hobby knife. Just the very tip and most of the time when the sticker touches the model the knife slides out easily.

Here's a tutorial I didn't watch all of: https://youtu.be/aozPcjGpMpI

... I need a hobby knife!

Midjack posted:

Sakura Pigma Micron pens in 005 size from Michael's work pretty well, as does a mechanical pencil lead in the smallest size available.

Er, I can get a pen or marker easily, it's more that I'm concerned that I won't be able to draw straight line on these things.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

StrixNebulosa posted:

... I need a hobby knife!

Er, I can get a pen or marker easily, it's more that I'm concerned that I won't be able to draw straight line on these things.

You don’t really have to. You get the ink/graphite into the lines that are already in the kit, and then wipe off the excess.

Edit: https://youtu.be/cjUBBaGEi_c

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

No, I don't think so - I'd need to buy that marker and then, well, shaky hands. The plan right now is to finish this fellow, tackle stickers - as many as I dare to do - and admire my first kit.

Just use a mechanical pencil on your early kits, if markers aren't easily available. You can easily rub off any mistakes (for a pencil or a Gundam marker) with your finger or a Q-tip.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Don't press hard and the line will draw itself in the joint as you pull it along. Try it with a pencil.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ah, got it! Thanks, guys! :D

Here's my finished (sans stickers and touch-ups) RG Gundam Astray!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Now learn how to pose. :v:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

Now learn how to pose. :v:

And get a better camera, too - for now, I'll do my best with my phone and my terrible, terrible posing skills. :D

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Paper Kaiju posted:

I keep leaving my hobby knife in my lap

... WHY?

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Bimmi posted:

... WHY?

Carelessness/laziness/stupidity? Take your pick.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Seriously inclined towards the last one, m' man. Cease this habit immediately.

e: I mean, I always make sure my junk is well scrunched under a solid surface whenever I'm doing any sort of knife work. Those tools are nothing to gently caress around with.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Midjack posted:

Don't put stuff in your lap with this hobby, it never ends well.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Finished my snapfit of the RE/100 Hamma Hamma (which is the best gundam name ever) and holy hell is this thing a monstrosity (awesome!) and also not sturdy! (less awesome)

Now to think up a paint scheme...

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I love that the thing even exists and hate that RE/100 seems to be locked into a one-kit-per-year product cycle now.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

That thing is gorgeous, holy smokes.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
And thats the ugly version of it!

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I bought mine as quickly as I could so as to help persuade them, in my own little way, to get off the goddamn pot with regards to that line. Four releases in the first 9 months, and only three since. Ffffffffuck that noise.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had to put it on an action base, it's way too flimsy to try and stand on it's own. It looks really cool towering over my desk from atop my racks, though.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
It's sweet to see so many people concerned about my junk :3:

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Someone link the one image album showing you how not to use a hobby knife when assembling a model helicopter already.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zwingley posted:

Someone link the one image album showing you how not to use a hobby knife when assembling a model helicopter already.

Ever a classic :allears:

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Paper Kaiju, this could be you. Please store your hobby knife responsibly.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Not just your junk that you should be concerned about — one ill-timed fumble and suddenly your blade is hilt-deep in your femoral artery, which I guarantee WILL ruin your whole day. Any tool that cuts in this hobby has the potential for inflicting serious injury and needs to be treated with the utmost respect, full stop.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
While we're talking knife safety, dont stick with a dull blade for long; the more you need to force, the greater the chance of you flying through the target and skinning/slicing/stabbing yourself. I speak from experience as a cheap jerk that sticks with dull blades way too long.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Protip: use a surgical scalpel. The blades come sterilized so if you cut yourself you don't need to worry about an infection.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I built two petitgguys tonight. Now I kinda want to build all the petitgguys

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
My closest import shop is apparently shuttering, and clearing out all their product, so despite trying to get through my backlog, I just bought a pair of early Gundam RGs (the Zeta and Char's Z'Gok). I think this means I have now bought one of every major grade, even if I still have to assemble them.

Thank god for me the only chibi kits they had left were Beargguys I already owned and something SD I did not recognize at all.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
To shift attention away from my self destructive tendencies, I finished assembling my MG Providence tonight, and it definitely ranks as my favorite MG kit so far.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Symetrique posted:

Protip: use a surgical scalpel. The blades come sterilized so if you cut yourself you don't need to worry about an infection.

Only if you plan on cutting yourself almost immediately after opening it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

My closest import shop is apparently shuttering, and clearing out all their product, so despite trying to get through my backlog, I just bought a pair of early Gundam RGs (the Zeta and Char's Z'Gok). I think this means I have now bought one of every major grade, even if I still have to assemble them.

Thank god for me the only chibi kits they had left were Beargguys I already owned and something SD I did not recognize at all.

The Zeta is a bit of a grenade, but the Z'Gok is solid. Also probably the only aquatic suit getting an RG, so that's neat.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

While we're talking knife safety, dont stick with a dull blade for long; the more you need to force, the greater the chance of you flying through the target and skinning/slicing/stabbing yourself. I speak from experience as a cheap jerk that sticks with dull blades way too long.

I do that too and am always surprised how much better it cuts when I finally change blades. Now I just change every time I start a new kit.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

I built two petitgguys tonight. Now I kinda want to build all the petitgguys

Be aware there's about 20+ kits in the HGPG line now :v:.

Do it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The zeongs got a delightful level of detail under that big old skirt

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Monaghan posted:

The zeongs got a delightful level of detail under that big old skirt

I'm not gonna lie, I think a huge part of why I enjoy making these kits so much, especially the more complex ones, is just how much detail they add that only the person assembling it is ever going to see.

it's so good

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Be aware there's about 20+ kits in the HGPG line now :v:.

Do it.

I pretty much have all of the regular ones. Until the 00 series comes out, there's 18 on general release including charagguys (which come with a regular bear head as well as the waifu head), plus the one included with Beargguy F. Then you start getting into the limited releases where you really have to start questioning how much you wanna pay for tiny plastic bears. For example the Taiwan only editions are going for about 40 bucks from resellers here in Japan. :stonk:

I was actually pretty lucky this week, I found the 7-Eleven special editions in a second hand store for slightly less than the going rate.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Symetrique posted:

I think the main reason to use these is that the blades are relatively cheap. Not sure about that handle design, though.

e: I think the Hamma looks fine in stock colors, but purple seems to be a popular and surprisingly cool-looking choice.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Oct 15, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bimmi posted:

I think the main reason to use these is that the blades are relatively cheap. Not sure about that handle design, though.

e: I think the Hamma looks fine in stock colors, but purple seems to be a popular and surprisingly cool-looking choice.

Well, that does pretty much just turn it into the Rozen Zulu.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I don't get why everyone seems to think the RoZu is just a palette-swapped Hamma. They share a design influence but I'm not sure there's a single common part between 'em.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bimmi posted:

I don't get why everyone seems to think the RoZu is just a palette-swapped Hamma. They share a design influence but I'm not sure there's a single common part between 'em.

It's not in kit terms, but it kind of is in story terms, where it's a Geara Zulu bulked up with a bunch of HH spare parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Paper Kaiju posted:

To shift attention away from my self destructive tendencies, I finished assembling my MG Providence tonight, and it definitely ranks as my favorite MG kit so far.

Looking good! Providence is one of the few SEED designs I really like.