Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
s01e01 - Episode 1 Name - Episode 2 Name
S01e03 - Episode 3 Name - Episode 4 Name

Plex will refer you to the next available unwatched episode even if they're not in perfect order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Looten Plunder posted:

Can someone explain to me how to name kids TV shows that air two episodes within the one episode? I've read the FAQs on tvdb.com and the FAQs on the Plex website and I still can't work it out. I've got PAW Patrol for my kids and the data is completely inaccurate.

My files on my hard drive are set up as:
s01e01 - Episode 1 Name - Episode 2 Name
S01e02 - Episode 3 Name - Episode 4 Name

TVDB has it listed like this:
1.1 Episode 1 Name
1.2 Episode 2 Name
2.1 Episode 3 Name
2.2 Episode 4 Name

Ideally, I'd probably just want the X.1 episode name and thumbnail to be displayed but I don't really care if there is two thumbnails play the same episode as long as the thumbnails are actually accurate.

Try ShowName - sXXeYY-eZZ.ext, e.g., Heroes - s04e01-e02.mkv

Episode names don't matter much when Plex scrapes TV metadata.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Back when I did that it would end up showing the same two ep file twice back to back. Does it not do that any more?

I guess I could be not lazy and test it.

odiv fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 28, 2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
You could always just go see how tvdb has that show in their poo poo

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm sure it does still. Isn't there a plug-in that lets it read .nfo files, because if you're bored enough you can add lines that tell it the time code of the splits that used to work for XBMC/Kodi.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

teagone posted:

Try ShowName - sXXeYY-eZZ.ext, e.g., Heroes - s04e01-e02.mkv

Episode names don't matter much when Plex scrapes TV metadata.

This is what the guide mentioned, i.e. "e01-e02" in the file name, although it strongly recommends one episode per file (which is what I've ended up doing.) Everything that comes after that is actually ignored, so you can add whatever you want at the end of the filename, episode title or not, because like teagone said the actual episode/movie data come from relevant databases.

Oh, and on that note, I just started transcoding my TV shows, and it's as big a headache as I thought it would be, which is why I procrastinated for so long. Gotta use MakeMKV on the ISOs and properly identify the episodes amongst all the other crap, then have to play the ISO and each file individually to make sure they properly match up.

On top of all that, there are certain things (mainly documentaries, Ken Burns or otherwise, or miniseries,) that are considered "movies" versus "tv shows" so I have to add them to my libraries and make sure they're identified by PMS or otherwise I have to move them back and forth.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Am I the only one experiencing crashes about a minute or two after starting a show in the most recent version of Plex on Roku? It updated around the 21st and now my poo poo is hosed.

Weirdly, Plex Classic works fine. Server is fully updated. Uninstalling and reinstalling fixed it for a few episodes, but now it's back.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
If I take out a couple drives I have and replaces them with one larger one, moving all the files over with the same path other than a new drive letter, and point plex at the new one, will it gracefully update the media? Or is that gonna make things go haywire and I am better of deleting and rebuilding the libraries?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
No problems on my Roku.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

emocrat posted:

If I take out a couple drives I have and replaces them with one larger one, moving all the files over with the same path other than a new drive letter, and point plex at the new one, will it gracefully update the media? Or is that gonna make things go haywire and I am better of deleting and rebuilding the libraries?

So long as you set the new drive to the same drive letter as the old one and keep the folder paths the same it should be fine with it.

Recycled Karma
Jul 16, 2004
Grimey Drawer

havenwaters posted:

So long as you set the new drive to the same drive letter as the old one and keep the folder paths the same it should be fine with it.

You don't even need to worry about that. Plex keeps track of files by their hash.

You can use their migration guide but ignore the part about copying over the Plex data directory.

Add the new path to the library, scan and test, then remove the old path.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Hardware accelerated streaming now supported for PlexPass users
https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/115002178853-Using-Hardware-Accelerated-Streaming

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Awesome. I use a Shield TV, which already has hardware streaming, but it is great to see support for other devices coming out of alpha/beta. Great to have more options.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Sweet. Like 90% of the time I'm using the web interface on the same system as the server, but this way it shouldn't peg my CPU up to 90% on HEVC at the start.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm having an issue with Plex on AppleTV. If i'm watching a TV show, the 30-60 seconds drops out. It will start buffering around the 90 seconds left mark for a second which will increase exponentially until about 30-60 seconds left and then the file will just stop. The file plays fine on my Roku boxes, and I can finish the episode by using VLC on my phone and airplay.

Anyone else see this before?

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Not sure if there is a better place to ask, but it seems like the right people might congregate in this thread.

Like many of you (I assume) I use MakeMKV to add discs to my media collection. MakeMKV's website is gone, and appears to have been gone for a month or so, no telling if it ever shows back up. So, I am looking into alternatives. Does anyone have experience with Leawo Blu-ray Ripper? Other alternatives that you prefer? My use case is basically extracting just he core movie from a dvd or blu ray, I don't bother re-encoding or anything, so just something simple and reliable to use. Thanks.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

emocrat posted:

Not sure if there is a better place to ask, but it seems like the right people might congregate in this thread.

Like many of you (I assume) I use MakeMKV to add discs to my media collection. MakeMKV's website is gone, and appears to have been gone for a month or so, no telling if it ever shows back up. So, I am looking into alternatives. Does anyone have experience with Leawo Blu-ray Ripper? Other alternatives that you prefer? My use case is basically extracting just he core movie from a dvd or blu ray, I don't bother re-encoding or anything, so just something simple and reliable to use. Thanks.

r/makemkv over on that other place is still going strong, and has a sticky with the beta code through November.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Dicty Brojangles posted:

r/makemkv over on that other place is still going strong, and has a sticky with the beta code through November.

Oh, good call, thanks. I don't know why but it never ever occurs to me to look for things on Reddit.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

emocrat posted:

Oh, good call, thanks. I don't know why but it never ever occurs to me to look for things on Reddit.

e: just checked and the website looks fine?

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 12, 2017

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Annual Prophet posted:

e: just checked and the website looks fine?

Based on your answer I looked now and it does appear to be back. For roughly the last month the website has just been a warning in Cyrillic that the account was suspended. Guess they got it fixed.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My Plex Server has gone to poo poo lately. previously have had no issues streaming 1080P h.264 stuff over wired connection to my apple TV running plex, or any of my iOS devices.

now, cant even get it to transcode down to 4mbit streams without it buffering every few minutes and the buffering itself takes minutes at a time.

was there a recent update that borked something? its saying my network connection is too slow but that definitely is not the case as its been fine previously and the network itself has not changed.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
After that recent UI change I couldn’t play fullscreen on ios devices anymore via browser (I don’t have a plex pass/app) so I dumped it for emby. Been fine and fairly seamless so far imo.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

priznat posted:

After that recent UI change I couldn’t play fullscreen on ios devices anymore via browser (I don’t have a plex pass/app) so I dumped it for emby. Been fine and fairly seamless so far imo.

my NAS is not supported :(

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

How are you on disk space? In the past I had my transcode directory pointing at a disk that would fill up on occasion and it would murder the server when that happened.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

How are you on disk space? In the past I had my transcode directory pointing at a disk that would fill up on occasion and it would murder the server when that happened.

10% of 3TB free according to my NAS. None of this stuff should actually need to transcode though as most of the video codecs are natively supported by the Apple TV and the iOS devices. I dont think this is to blame as its been that low for a while now with no ill effects.

Im going to try a new router over the weekend to rule out the possibility it is a speed issue, but its very strange. all my old 1080P content that worked without a problem now doesnt work at all.

setup:
Netgear ReadyNAS RN204 (1.5ghz ARM dual core, 2GB RAM)
Apple TV v4
gigabit router with ethernet over power setup (NAS and ATV both sitting on the same gigabit switch)

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I've been having the same problem with my Rokus. Everything was working fine but now I get buffering about every 30 minutes into a movie or show. I have about 2 TB free so shouldn't be a space issue.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have a feeling its one of the updates for Plex. I have to manually apply my updates as there is no signed app for the NAS so i download the complete package and install over the top of the old version to preserve the db/settings stuff.

I might try and grab an older version and go back because its utterly unusable in its current state.

Will try the router thing first since that has the added benefit of increasing the wifi coverage over our lovely ISP supplied router.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Plex playlists and smart filter options are garbage.

I've been slowly moving over to native plex apps after just using it as a back end for Kodi. But there's still the odd frustration.

My ideal world would be Kodi with a plex back end, with the bypassing of the kodi db as per the official Plex plug in, but the proper Kodi integration of PlexKodiConnect.
Not going to happen though.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Why is Plex AIDS now? It worked fine for years but I haven't used it in months until now.

quote:

No soup for you!

The server you're trying to access doesn't want to let you in. Make sure you're signed in as a user with access to this server.

Ok...I'll just clear all prefs and caches and reinstall. Same poo poo. Tried a brand new account and everything. It's a brand new install on my own computer that I control. People on their forums have the same problem with no resolution.

Certainly pops up a lot of modals wanting you to pay for AIDS tho.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Will something like kodi as the server work with with the Plex app on PS3? The whole point is to stream media to my PS3 without having to bring my computer in there.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Spend $35 on a Chromecast and take your 11 year old game-running Bluray player out of the equation.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I still have a substantial 10/10 PS3 game backlog since I play like 2-3 real games a year.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

emoji posted:

Why is Plex AIDS now?

:bravo:

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

emoji posted:

Will something like kodi as the server work with with the Plex app on PS3? The whole point is to stream media to my PS3 without having to bring my computer in there.

Kodi isn't a server and doesn't work like the client/server model Plex (PMS) and its clients use. Won't work.

Also echoing Scott K and suggesting not using a decrepit PS3 as a client. I mean, you can if you want, but live with the consequences.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

emoji posted:

I still have a substantial 10/10 PS3 game backlog since I play like 2-3 real games a year.

How does this prohibit you from getting a Roku or Chromecast? All your HDMI ports used up? There's a reason the PS3 isn't mentioned as a suggested client device in the OP.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I'm getting this problem on the computer before I even try to use the PS3. All I wanted to do was add a new folder to my server library. And for that matter yes, all the hdmi ports are used and I don't like buying things (especially electronics) I don't actually need, especially when what I have has been perfectly adequate up until now.

It's purely a plex server software issue as a result of some update. In fact the server landing page on localhost (served from plex media server.app), after not allowing me in with no way to even configure authorized users or anything at all, just links me to download...plex media server. In the end I did get it to work but had to manually edit the server's plist file and add my account there and chmod it to prevent reverting to old sessions stored in some mysterious place (they lie about which files you actually need to delete for a clean reinstall) which is stupid Linux poo poo I shouldn't have to do.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Please post the details of your server so we can more easily point out what dumb and weird thing you did to it to make loving Plex of all things not be able to work at all.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
OS X. Drag plex media server.app to /Applications. Double click. Worked perfectly fine until some session expired or update. Like I said other people on their forums had similar issues that either resolved with another update or didn't at all.

One thing I can reproduce is that if I 'fully uninstall' - delete chance prefs plist, application support, and the actual binary and try to cleanly install as detailed on their site, it populates itself again with old session/server auth data from somewhere else which is the problem. Probably from the cloud using a machine id.

emoji fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 15, 2017

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

TheScott2K posted:

Please post the details...

emoji posted:

Probably from the cloud using a machine id.

lol don't expect much help here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

porkface posted:

lol don't expect much help here

Is that really an absurd assumption? It's used in all kinds of software. I found machine IDs in the metadata and it fits with their sales model and it fetches the session tokens etc from somewhere not in their documented local files. That strategy makes sense from an 'everything should just work with minimal user input' perspective but if something doesn't fit there's no intuitive way to reset it. Obviously it should just auth if being accessed from localhost, and it seems like an oversight when implementing the paid managed multiuser plans.

emoji fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 15, 2017