Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Orv posted:

Are you going to do F3AR? What a bizarre game, good from a shooting and fun side, utterly insane from a story angle.

Ohhhh yes, that's tomorrow. I was pretty on-board with it until the last two levels, the airport and the... thing.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Too Shy Guy posted:

Supposedly the masterful AI of the first game was brought over as well, but if that’s true then I’d have to guess that level design holds them back from actually showing what they can do because they feel no different from typical CoD fodder.

Seems pretty likely. As I recall the FEAR AI worked in tandem with the maps having nodes of interest seeded throughout. Similarly, it wasn't that smart, but the looping, open-ended map design helped disguise it since it created opportunities for them to duck around corners or go the long way around and "intelligently" flank the player.

Edit: This video explains it pretty well.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 15, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

ZearothK posted:

I want to play that open world RPG more interesting than the Witcher 3.

Yeah, it's always interesting to hear about people posting as if there were some platonic, flawless CRPG out there that had solved all of the genre's problems before riding off on a magic cloud. Not say you have to or should even like any of the Witcher games, but the CRPG genre has always been ambitious, and that ambition always comes with a price somewhere else in the design. I feel like the success of an CRPG mainly comes down to how well developers hide whatever tradeoffs they have to make, and how well they succeed in making the player feel empowered.

Too Shy Guy posted:

Ohhhh yes, that's tomorrow. I was pretty on-board with it until the last two levels, the airport and the... thing.

Yeah, that's probably one of the most unsatisfying turns I've seen a game take. It felt like an entire section of that game was just missing, you're at the airport, there's a *record scratch*, and all of a sudden you're thrust into a ham-handed resolution to the game with practically no buildup or emotional investment. It really is quite the thing, it felt like they just ran out of budget somewhere along the line.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, it's always interesting to hear about people posting as if there were some platonic, flawless CRPG out there that had solved all of the genre's problems before riding off on a magic cloud. Not say you have to or should even like any of the Witcher games, but the CRPG genre has always been ambitious, and that ambition always comes with a price somewhere else in the design. I feel like the success of an CRPG mainly comes down to how well developers hide whatever tradeoffs they have to make, and how well they succeed in making the player feel empowered.

That game did come out. It was called West of Loathing.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Ghost Recon: Wildlands DLC questions!

When I got Watch_Dogs 2, I got the season pass and I loved how well integrated into the main story all the DLC was.

Is Ghost Recon similar? I know there's 1 post-game DLC, but what about the other one?

The reviews on Steam for "Narco Road" are super negative, skip?

EDIT: Disregard.

Not only does the game run like hot garbage on machine with these weird stutters (odd, cause The Division runs fine), it just feels like a 3rd person FarCry.

I'm sure this is a blast to play coop but my usual coop crew is long gone so I think I'll give Wildlands a pass.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 15, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011
They're separate launch options from the save/main menu, the two big ones anyway.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, that's probably one of the most unsatisfying turns I've seen a game take. It felt like an entire section of that game was just missing, you're at the airport, there's a *record scratch*, and all of a sudden you're thrust into a ham-handed resolution to the game with practically no buildup or emotional investment. It really is quite the thing, it felt like they just ran out of budget somewhere along the line.

It's kind of a one-two punch of suck, too. You spend all that time in the airport just to catch up to the guy from FEAR 2, he tells you stuff you already know, and then dies in the most gruesome way possible. Then the "resolution" of all this is running around with a trauma monster so Alma can die peacefully and have her ghost baby. All at once, the awesome antagonist of the series vanishes, the thing that ABSOLUTELY WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN happens, and then... no problem, that's it, roll credits.

The only game I can think of with a worse ending was Jericho, just because it went to great pains just to NOT explain or resolve anything.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Too Shy Guy posted:

The only game I can think of with a worse ending was Jericho, just because it went to great pains just to NOT explain or resolve anything.

The ending to Jericho was pretty much this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_asNhzXq72w

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Too Shy Guy posted:

Did you discuss the expansions to fear

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Snuffman posted:

When I got Watch_Dogs 2, I got the season pass and I loved how well integrated into the main story all the DLC was.

Is Ghost Recon similar? I know there's 1 post-game DLC, but what about the other one?

Not only does the game run like hot garbage on machine with these weird stutters (odd, cause The Division runs fine), it just feels like a 3rd person FarCry.

I'm sure this is a blast to play coop but my usual coop crew is long gone so I think I'll give Wildlands a pass.

If you can get a hold of the earlier ghost recon games check em out. Wildlands is an exception

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Snuffman posted:

Tonight me and some of the guys from the r6 siege thread were playing wildlands ghost war (pvp mode) . Its a blast and I think you may want to reconsider.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Too Shy Guy posted:

SOMEBODY didn't play the wii exclusive Overlord prequel.

....which isn't surprising, really. RIP Overlord

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

spudsbuckley posted:

Considering it is basically the most generic "best of" of about 10 years of WRPG development possible then, yeah, it fits that role perfectly.

I just can't figure out how anyone who has played any other open world RPG-ish game in the past decade doesn't just roll their eyes at the whole thing and move on to something else more interesting. I'm not even saying it's a bad game, it's just painfully by-the-numbers from what i played.

I don't know what to say about this, because while Witcher 3 is possibly one of the best games to come out of 10 years of "Western RPG" development comparing to those ten years of examples,I can't consider Witcher 3 to be painfully by the numbers. I don't remember any RPG that just lets you stumble into a house of no note that has a dead child and mother inside, and a possible father hanging from the tree across the house in the distance, thanks to the ravaging war going on. I say this, and CD Projekt never explains that scenario, it just is, and you just kind of piece that together with your own brain.

I don't think any WRPG has tackled the fallout of an attack by the most powerful sorceresses, prompting an almost red-scare scenario of Mages. Constant pogroms of the "lesser" races. Normally in WRPGs you acknowledge the strength in elves, dwarves, gnomes. In this game, you can acknowledge their strengths, but that strength makes them all persecuted, and each of those people of different races are dealing with the pain in their own ways.

These guys are based in poland, Is it really western RPG anyway? Shouldn't it be Eastern RPG, or do people just equate eastern RPGs to just japanese RPGs by that nature?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

Did you discuss the expansions to fear

I didn't, I've only played a little of Extraction Point and most of Reborn. I may go back and get through the FEAR 1 expansions, though I wasn't real impressed with what I played of EP. I also don't review DLC, mainly because I haven't considered how I would go about it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

I don't know what to say about this

Spudsbuckley

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Extraction Point is pretty light on narrative, even for an FPS. Its really just to show off the some of destroyed city (though you don't get much because the budget of an expansion means mostly warehouses and such), have some fights in it, and get waaaaay more symbolic with the Alma sequences and scares.

Perseus Mandate is someone's fan fiction with a "second FEAR team" with a point man with the same powers as the first with no explanation at all. Same shooting as FEAR and Extraction, so there's still some fun to be had.

Reborn is just a short FEAR 2 with Fettel talking in your ear instead of Quirky Special Ops Military Team #10.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Trying out the Abbey of Crime.

Why are tank controls in an adventure game? Why does the orientation of the game keep flipping with each room you move past?!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Synthbuttrange posted:

Why are tank controls in an adventure game? Why does the orientation of the game keep flipping with each room you move past?!

Because it's a rather faithful (no pun intended) remake of a microcomputer game from Europe, where those were the style at the time.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

its a remake of a game designed for joysticks in the 80s

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Synthbuttrange posted:

The meta-game is solving the crime of the controls

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Synthbuttrange posted:

You never played on Amiga or C64, did you?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Terminally Bored posted:

You never played on Amiga or C64, did you?

C64 and apples, but I've never seen a weird flip flopping orientation thing going on like this. Like a character going off the screen to the right would suddenly cause the scene to shift, everything's rotated around and the character is coming in from off the screen to the right again. that's just weird.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Snuffman posted:

I can't say for sure this will work but I had really annoying stuttering on my 1070 and changing from fullscreen to borderless windowed (ie same experience) eliminated the stuttering entirely.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

/r/relationships/ posted:

My (19F) boyfriend (21M) has been lying about where he is at night. I thought he was cheating or partying but it turns out he has been playing Lord of the Rings the video game.

We have been dating for six months, LDR for two months. I have been suspicious of his nightly activities for the past week, and last night caught him in a lie; he said he was working late on the phone, and then I heard his dogs in the background and knew he was making it up and that he was at home. I got really upset with him, almost dumped him.

After talking later that night he fessed up, that he had bought a new video game (Lord of the Rings themed..?) and has been playing that at night, and was making up stories so I wouldn't think he was a nerd. I didn't believe it at first but he showed me on FaceTime all of his characters and that he is at level 132 or something crazy like that.

My boyfriend is not the nerdy type - plays college football, drinks/often goes clubbing, basically a "Chad" even though I hate to say it. I guess I could understand why he would want to keep something like that from me. I'm just mad he lied to me.

Should I be mad? I really believe he was just playing the video game because when I did not believe him he went on and on about how excited he was and how he pre-ordered it and how he has read all the books and whatever.

Apparently he is like really into it.

Is it okay to keep secrets about dumb stuff like this? I know that lying is not okay, but what if its about a strange hobby?

tl;dr: Boyfriend has been making up stories about what he has been doing at night the last week. He was playing Lord of the Rings and didn't want me to know. Should I even be mad at this.

Edit: The game is called Middle Earth Shadow of War

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:sever:

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
He turned his GF into his nemesis.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The GF should lecture him about lootboxes and microtransactions

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Andrast posted:

The GF should lecture him about lootboxes and microtransactions

He's enabling this behavior from game companies. In short:

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Man I play videogames a lot, but it's never been something that I choose over hanging out with actual people, especially people that have an interest in seeing me naked.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
It's probably advertising.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

bentacos posted:

Man I play videogames a lot, but it's never been something that I choose over hanging out with actual people, especially people that have an interest in seeing me naked.

LDR = Long Distance Relationship

He can't see her anyways, the issue is that he's lying because he's embarrassed rather not that he's choosing videogames over her. I think it's kind of sweet :shobon:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

il_cornuto posted:

I played Brothers in the original Swedish.

:golfclap:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's sad but someone has to break the news to that poor girl that her boyfriend is a noob casual.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
this is exactly why i don't date viral marketing campaigns anymore

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'unno, it's dumb enough that it might be true. Not enough emphasis on the game or how she even thought it was cool, and people being very insecure about their hobbies when they wanna look "cool" or "normal" has been a Something Awful thing since forever so you don't even need to go too far to see examples of it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

i was so upset that my boyfriend was addicted to this great game that i had to go prepare my favorite food, Tostino's Pizza Rolls

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I'm still waiting for funnier product placement than Alan Wake's Energizer batteries that run out really fast. Pizza rolls is pretty close though.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

il_cornuto posted:

I'm still waiting for funnier product placement than Alan Wake's Energizer batteries that run out really fast. Pizza rolls is pretty close though.

Amusing to think about but to be fair Alan has his torch on the entire game and it only drains when you focus it. And if you don't drain the whole thing, it recharges itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

QuarkJets posted:

Tostino's Pizza Rolls

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this. :pseudo: