Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I looked in the OP for information about fleas but the links are dead, at least via search on my phone. Our new dachshund has them bad, and now our cat does. We've been using Frontline and advantix which seems to work, but only for a while. We pick them off ourselves, give her regular baths, shaved her down, and have sprayed the carpet with a recommended spray...which is a natural spray. That makes me skeptical that its strong enough.

Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

You can throw this poo poo all over your carpet and see if it works. I also heard salt 🤔

https://www.diatomaceousearth.com/natural-flea-control/

Vacuum then vacuum some more. I don't think showering really does much for fleas, especially if you have carpet they'll just keep coming.

I just give my dog the monthly pill (trifexis) and call it a day 🤷🏽‍♀️ honesty sometimes it's like every three months in winter but then you don't get the heartworm benefits

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Skip to the end and call an exterminator for your house and yard. Disclaimer: I've never done this.

Talk to your vet about getting a new topical.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

GoodBee posted:

Talk to your vet about getting a new topical.

What about maybe a different oral one? Are we against the oral monthly flea meds in this sub forum? Some folks are vehement so not sure how much that all spread here.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

You can throw this poo poo all over your carpet and see if it works. I also heard salt 🤔

https://www.diatomaceousearth.com/natural-flea-control/

Vacuum then vacuum some more. I don't think showering really does much for fleas, especially if you have carpet they'll just keep coming.

I just give my dog the monthly pill (trifexis) and call it a day 🤷🏽‍♀️ honesty sometimes it's like every three months in winter but then you don't get the heartworm benefits

There used to be a good (locked) thread on the forums about dealing with fleas but I can't find it. Diatomaceous earth is the poo poo at getting rid of fleas and all other kinds of bugs while being safe for pets. Get a bag of the stuff(there's two different kinds, I think they call one food grade but basically don't get the kind that is for pool use). Sprinkle it on the floor, couches, and especially anywhere your pets sleep, then use a broom and brush into places everywhere you can (lock pets in the bathroom/outside/somewhere and wear a dust mask cause it kicks up a cloud). Vacuum after 30 minutes. Rub the pets down with the stuff, then rinse. Like I said, it's safe for pets, and it'll kill any remaining fleas on both. Repeat if necessary but I've never had to do it more than once.

Never buy the stuff from a pet store, it's stupidly marked up. This is the exact brand Ive used(and also recently used to control an ant infestation but that's a whole 'nother, not dog story: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D60GAW2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_nDZ1zbAWSMP19

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

What about maybe a different oral one? Are we against the oral monthly flea meds in this sub forum? Some folks are vehement so not sure how much that all spread here.

No, I've just never used or have been recommended an oral flea medicine so I can't really comment on them.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Today I discovered that I can cause the hound to lose her poo poo by halfassing a dog baying and it causes no end of hilarity. It's been a good day.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Warbird posted:

Today I discovered that I can cause the hound to lose her poo poo by halfassing a dog baying and it causes no end of hilarity. It's been a good day.

Sometimes I get my hound all worked by going to the door to let her out, then suddenly getting all excited and saying "WHO'S OUT THERE??!! WHO'S OUT THERE??!!" She starts going bananas and scratching at the door to get at whatever might be roaming around outside, and goes tearing out the door when I finally open it.

There's no one out there. :smug:

What's funny is that my other dog knows I'm loving with her and just stands there and watches her go nuts every time.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Apollo is now legal! :woop: Got his dog tag on his collar this morning and engraved the phone number on the back.

He promptly spent some of the morning doing somersaults in his attempt to taste and sniff the tag. :3:

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

The one with the blue collar is our new Rat Terrier/Minpin mix. Rescued him from New Rattitude (a rat terrier rescue); he's been fostered in Georgia and we get him this Saturday. Hoping that his presence in the house will calm down our JRT a bit. :kimchi:

Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

All these goddamn books need more descriptions of boobies in them!
My dog was pooping what looked like raspberry jam and vomitting up thick mucus and then just got all lethargic and was grunting like he was upset, rushed him to the only vet that could see him that day. They diagnosed him with hemmoragic gastroenteritis and said he needed to be kept over night for fluids and medicine.

Anyone have experience with this diagnosis? I've been reading about it online and it seems no one can give me any answer on whether or not he'll probably be okay. The vet told my wife he's going to pull through but this vet is new to me and I want a source I can trust to give input.

I get that you can't guarantee anything. I just want to know what you guys have experienced.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Mrfreezewarning posted:

Anyone have experience with this diagnosis? I've been reading about it online and it seems no one can give me any answer on whether or not he'll probably be okay. The vet told my wife he's going to pull through but this vet is new to me and I want a source I can trust to give input.
He should be fine. This is actually a pretty common thing, and most dogs recover quickly once they're on IV fluids. The dogs who get into trouble are the ones who don't get prompt treatment.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Mrfreezewarning posted:

My dog was pooping what looked like raspberry jam and vomitting up thick mucus and then just got all lethargic and was grunting like he was upset, rushed him to the only vet that could see him that day. They diagnosed him with hemmoragic gastroenteritis and said he needed to be kept over night for fluids and medicine.

I get that you can't guarantee anything. I just want to know what you guys have experienced.

No experience, but hope he recovers!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Does anyone have any good suggestions for toys for a teething puppy?

Acidian
Nov 24, 2006

Boring backstory
I am getting my first dog in about 1 month and drat there is a lot to learn. I wish I had know about this thread earlier. Thankfully, most of the stuff regarding purchase and finding a breeder in the topic is stuff I have figured out on my own anyway. I have landed on a White Sheppard, or Berger Blanc Suisse, for my breed of choice. This is a combination of being aesthetically pleasing, and filling all the requirements I have for a dog breed. Loyal, good with children, needs more exercise than normal dogs but not as much as sleigh dogs (I want to exercise with my dog when he is old enough), calm and low prey drive, healthy breed with few genetic diseases, and so on.

The breeder I found I think is good as well. She is registered with the Norwegian dog lineage database "dogweb", and registered veterinarians have signed off on the dog not suffering any of the few genetic diseases that might affect the breed.

The only negative side of the breed is it's size. I didn't want a small dog, because I want to exercise with my dog, but I do not want a malamute. It looked smaller in photos and the average weight is 30kg for a female. When I met the adult version of the dog (the mother of the puppies) it was a bit bigger than I expected, and her sister was even bigger. The sisters father was apparently 45kg which is crazy. I bought an adult cage yesterday because I got it cheap, I will put it in storage, but I did notice that it does not fit into my bedroom, so when the dog grows older she will have to sleep outside the bedroom, in the living room, or if it wants, in the kitchen.

My questions:
My wife is unemployed until she starts studying next year, so she will be with the puppy all the time. However, at some point she will start studying and then working, and we will both work 9 to 5 jobs. The start of the OP seems to indicate that this is a problem, however, we can't be the only working family with a dog. Can't an adult dog be ok in an apartment unsupervised for 8-9 hours? I do not plan on leaving it caged.

I noticed that the OP recommends buying a buckled collar and leash, however from what I have read, aren't harnesses better? I plan on getting a harness anyway.

I have a problem in December. I am picking the puppy up at 9 weeks from the breeder on November 21st. However, we need to be with my mother for Christmas in December, so I need to take an 8 hour train ride on the 23rd of December to my mothers house. I am afraid this is too early for the puppy (13-14 weeks old), and will be a source of stress. Leading up to the train ride, I want to get it used to trains by taking the metro regularly with the puppy the last 2 weeks leading up to the trip. I was also thinking of taking an hour train trip 2 days before. I am wondering if I should buy a medium sized carrier for the metro rides and the train rides, is this good? Should I take it out of the carrier a little bit while I am on the train? When it is an adult, I want it able to sit on the metro and train without needing a carrier, so I do not know if I am doing a disservice by training it to use a carrier first?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Acidian posted:

My questions:
My wife is unemployed until she starts studying next year, so she will be with the puppy all the time. However, at some point she will start studying and then working, and we will both work 9 to 5 jobs. The start of the OP seems to indicate that this is a problem, however, we can't be the only working family with a dog. Can't an adult dog be ok in an apartment unsupervised for 8-9 hours? I do not plan on leaving it caged.

I adopted adult dogs. They hang out inside, unsupervised, while I'm at work. We used a crate while we established our routine.

quote:

I noticed that the OP recommends buying a buckled collar and leash, however from what I have read, aren't harnesses better? I plan on getting a harness anyway.

Collar vs harness seems to be personal preference. My dogs have quick release collars with their tags on them that they wear all the time and I like to use a harness when we go for walks. They are also both microchipped.

I like the harness because the larger dog is a scenthound and likes to stick her nose to the ground. The harness keeps her from getting tangled in her leash. It works well for the smaller dog too. Another reason I got harnesses is because I like to take my dogs camping and the grounds I go to require them to be restrained. I can tether them with a harness. It has worked well for the larger dog so far but I haven't brought the smaller dog yet.

I did have a problem using a quick release collar with a leash with the larger dog. I did have one that wore out and she could pop it open.

I don't have any public transportation advice.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I'll try to answer some:

I think the whole don't get a dog if you both work 9-5 adage only applies to puppies who are like, idk, <9 months old? If that? Your adult dog can absolutely 100% be fine unsupervised at home, assuming they're moderately trained. Separation anxiety can be a bitch but that's a whole different thing entirely. Hell, some dogs can hold it 10-12 hours. At that point they've been corrected enough on chewing wires, random poo poo, etc, that they often don't (unless they have really bad separation anxiety). I never once had an issue with leaving my dog home alone and him chewing anything like that up.

Collars are just easier to leave on 24/7 with the pet ID dags. Harness of course you generally take off at night at the very least. I think harness also depends on size. That said, if your dog has decent leash manners, it really doesn't matter.

A pup at 13-14 weeks will often still have terrible bladder/bowel control. I mean, at that age they need to go out every 2-3 hours or so at the minimum? Benadryl is also pretty safe for dogs so you can ask for your vet about it being appropriate for such a young pup and the dosaging?

Acidian
Nov 24, 2006

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't thinking about the ID aspect of the collar. In the OP it was listed under "training tools", so I was thinking about it more in regards for training the dog and taking it outside. I guess I will buy both, so it can have a collar on 24/7, as you say, and I am definitely getting a chip for her as well.

I assumed it was ok for an adult dog to be alone during a normal work day, assuming it has been trained, thanks for confirming that. Separation anxiety will be a problem, how early should we start taking small trips and leaving the dog home?

If the dog needs to pee after 2-3 hours, that will be a challenge on the train ride. I guess I will just line the inside of the carrier with newspaper and bring some spare with me, or maybe I can use towels which might be better at soaking pee and more comfortable for the dog to lie on?

Benadryl is an antihistamine, but it has a side effect of making the dog drowsy? I remember I tried to drug my cat when I was younger, for a plane ride, that was quite horrible. The cat didn't sleep, it was just crying the whole trip, and had diarrhea so I had to take it out and clean it in the airplane lavatory.

Thanks for the help, I will probably have more stupid questions as time goes by. I am reading some books to prepare as well.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

There's different styles of leashes/harness to facilitate better leash behavior. The gentle leader almost looks cruel but essentially it just makes it so if they pull it kind of jerks their jaw to the side, thus making them ideally stop that behavior. There is also a harness that might clip in at the chest area, rather than the back. Similar idea, if the dog pulls, it torques their body to the side. Yeah, they don't like that poo poo.

As far as how early. I don't know, until the dog is 100% comfortable at your place so maybe a week tops? I wouldn't be in a rush but sooner than later. Dogs often seem to be unique when it comes to separation anxiety. I'm sure it's a breed thing, and of course lifestyle (exercise, etc). So really you never know until you leave and listen or a neighbor tells you. That, or they damage the place or spit all over from barking etc.

I'm sure you understand the idea of crate training. Dogs hold it because they--ideally--don't soil where they sleep. I think it'll be cruel on the poor thing to make it hold it and relieve itself in a crate like thing, never mind the fact that you are reinforcing bad behavior. I think a better idea would be to maybe use puppy potty training absorbent pads. Train the pup a bit before hand, lay it out on the train? A bit inconsiderate and unsanitary, definitely. All that said, I think you need to explore other options or change your plans a bit.

Benadryl is an antihistamine that makes both people and dogs drowsy as well. I am not a vet, but from what I understand, it is quite safe for dogs. As well, effective if they are itchy. You could argue it might help their anxiety (or worsen it)

Then of course there is a sort of anxiety medication a vet might prescribe for a dog scared of fireworks, but yeah, really veering off topic

Acidian
Nov 24, 2006

Might it be better to fly with the dog? It's a 50 minute trip by air vs 8 hours on train. The price is about the same. I am just worried that the puppy might be too big for the cabin at that point, so that I might have to stow it in the storage compartment. If it ends up peein in the cage at that point (maybe by accident because it is afraid), then I can't clean it. Also, a 50 minute flight does not include the time from arriving at the airport and handing of the dog an hour before takeoff, then the wait afterwards. I guess it will be alone for about 2 hours in a strange environment and handled by strange people.

On the other hand, it might be good training for it to get used to flying, and I could give it benadryl before the flight.

Edit: The more I read this seems to be the best option. The airline allows a cage that is up to 43x31x20 in the cabin, and I don't think the dog is that tall at that point.

Acidian fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Oct 15, 2017

minema
May 31, 2011
8 hours on a train with such a young puppy will definitely be difficult. Could you break the journey anywhere? Two 4 hours stretches would be easier I think with a break in between for toileting/running around. Also I don't know where you're living but where I am the trains will be very busy because it's so close to Christmas.

Just seen your post, I would definitely consider flying. I've never done it so can't advise on technicalities but I think it would be better for you both.

Acidian
Nov 24, 2006

There is a long stop where the train changes tracks about midway, where I was planing to take the dog out. That's still around 4 hours though. I was also thinking of asking the conductor if there were any other longer stops, but I can't ask him to hold the whole train while I wait for my dog to pee somewhere.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Pro-tip: don't get a bad head cold if you have a dog. Dog still wants to walk and play and have fun but you just want to lie around and sleep. :negative:

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Does anyone have experience with a diabetic dog, or is there a thread for managing chronic conditions in dogs I should post in?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Just popping in to say I got my dog a halti collar the other day and it's like magic. She's not 100% used to it yet, but she's pretty good and it makes walking with lots of people and other dogs so much easier. Man. Best $20 I've spent in a while.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

A pup at 13-14 weeks will often still have terrible bladder/bowel control. I mean, at that age they need to go out every 2-3 hours or so at the minimum?

I think unless you're talking toy breeds, this is a bit extreme, that's generally more like 8 weeks timeline. At 12-13 with a puppy that size I'd imagine it could hold it 4-5~ hours. Individual dogs vary even within a breed; my shiba inu puppy(a dog that is 20 lbs fully grown) was holding it for 6 hours at 6 weeks(while still with the breeder ofc). So depending on the length of the trip, you'll probably be fine, but you'll have that monthish to get used to them and how long they can comfortably wait between bathroom breaks.

Acidian posted:

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't thinking about the ID aspect of the collar. In the OP it was listed under "training tools", so I was thinking about it more in regards for training the dog and taking it outside. I guess I will buy both, so it can have a collar on 24/7, as you say, and I am definitely getting a chip for her as well.

(...)

If the dog needs to pee after 2-3 hours, that will be a challenge on the train ride. I guess I will just line the inside of the carrier with newspaper and bring some spare with me, or maybe I can use towels which might be better at soaking pee and more comfortable for the dog to lie on?

Benadryl is an antihistamine, but it has a side effect of making the dog drowsy? I remember I tried to drug my cat when I was younger, for a plane ride, that was quite horrible. The cat didn't sleep, it was just crying the whole trip, and had diarrhea so I had to take it out and clean it in the airplane lavatory.

I like front clip harnesses personally(I have the brand wonder walker). They're not at all a replacement for actual training on how to walk loose leashed but they can be a tool and also if you happen to have a particularly wriggly escape artist, can give you a bit more control and make it less likely they slip out of a collar. On my husky I use the above mentioned harness for walking and then keep a quick release collar with his ID info on it on him at all times. I take the harness off when he's not on walks. Too easy to bend stupidly and chew apart or worse, get their dumb mouths stuck on.

Definitely do not train your dog that eliminating in its crate/carrier is something it *has* to resort to, it's setting you up for issues down the road.Dogs give lots of signs when they have to go, so in the month leading up to this trip, get used to them with your puppy(circling and sniffing is a common one). I would keep the dog in your lap tbh, vs a carrier. The dog isn't going to piss in your lap unless it absolutely cant hold it, and this way you're paying passive attention to any changes. It isn't a bad idea to carry some towels and poo bags just in case.

As far as your early question about how and when to get the dog used to the train, I have a lot of experience with that! Firstly, check the rules on said trains/buses and make sure they allow pets or if there are any restrictions. The states I've lived in have varied from "pets okay" to "pets okay but you have to pay full fare" to "service dogs only". I would start getting them used to (short) transit rides quickly after you get them to get them used to all the weird, new sounds, smells, people, etc and making sure it is a positive experience for them(treats, maybe bring a toy, don't "push" the dog into a scary situation, etc). Puppies are sponges and your first few weeks are critical socialization time. Make being on the train/bus/etc loving AWESOME. Side note: Don't let people pet her unless the dog seems to comfortable(I always tell people to go for my nervous dogs back or chest depending on how we're positioned). I would *not* wait to start this, give the dog time to get used to it. I used to ride the bus a lot with my puppy and kept her in my lap, which made accidents a non issue and allowed me to keep her under control and control peoples interactions with her.

I'd be wary of dosing your dog just for this trip, especially because you don't even know what personality it's going to have. If it comes down to the fact that the dog is a neurotic nut case, then talk to your vet about options for meds. They may recommend Benadryl, they might recommend something else, or tell you not to use anything. They're the pros here. Personally, I would just spend the morning/afternoon/whenever before the trip wearing that dog OUT and making sure their bladders are empty(I wouldn't feed for a few hours before the trip either, to be safe, but always have access to water).

Acidian
Nov 24, 2006

Thank you, this was a lot of good advice.

The public transportation here is very accommodating to pets from what I have read. So there should be no issue or extra fees for the pets at this time. However, due to the size of my breed, I will in the future need to buy a half price ticket to reserve a seat for my dog, according to the train website.

I will check out the harness brands you mentioned, however, being in Europe those brands might not be available locally. So I will probably ask for help at the pet store. I was also only planning to use it outside, not when we are at home.

I am also weary about using benadryl, because I had such a horrible experience with sleep drugs on my old cat. I will discuss it with my veterinarian.

Right now I am planning on taking the plane, as I think it is still small enough that I can bring it in the cabin. The toilet advice is still sound, so I will refrain from feeding it too close to our departure. Even so, I plan on training the dog to use train and bus early, and you are right about the socialization aspect, which I hadn't considered until you mentioned it.

Again, thanks for the quality post!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Not sure if there are any of you out there interested in trying Barkbox (which you should get it because it is awesome and both my corgi and my mom's huskies love it), but here are some codes for free barkboxes if you sign up:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Bark box is fun and cool and good. Nice customer service team there.

My pup gets to try out new toys every month with a mini-Christmas and whatever does stick goes to my friend who does rescue work. Win-win.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Martian Manfucker posted:

Does anyone have experience with a diabetic dog, or is there a thread for managing chronic conditions in dogs I should post in?

Gonna talk about this anyway and hope a someone can sympathize.
My 10 year old intact border collie got a very bad bladder infection over the (canadian) Thanksgiving weekend and in the process of that emergency visit the vet noticed her blood glucose levels were astronomical. I can't remember exactly but it was close to 28mg/dl. I got antibiotics for the infection and made an appointment with my regular vet for the first day she was back to get some more information and testing done.

Long story short, she diagnosed diabetes and we started her on insulin immediately, transitioned her food to Hills Prescription Diet W/D, and started scheduled feeding. She has been on 9 I.U. of insulin once daily, in the morning immediately after her first meal, for about five days now. The problem is, her blood glucose hasn't budged an inch since then. I'm not comfortable testing it at home yet(and my glucometer hasn't arrived yet anyway), so the vet has had me come in with her at various times throughout the day to get it checked, and it hasn't dropped below 20mg/dl once. Her reading today 6hrs post-injection was 25.6mg/dl which is obviously not good.

I've been sick to my stomach for two weeks now over this. No one in my family has ever had diabetes and I've never had an animal with it, so I'm learning everything for the first time and it's so overwhelming sometimes. The vet wants to take things slow, get her infection cleared up, and get her settled on the new food before we go full steam ahead in trying to regulate her blood glucose, but I'm so worried, not having seen any results from the insulin. Is it normal for it to take awhile to see results with insulin? That worry combined with the fact that I'm such a stupid piece of garbage for not having her spayed when I got her is eating me up. I had no idea at the time that diabetes (not to mention the countless other problems) was a risk with unspayed females, and I had thoughts of maybe breeding her. I figured since I live in a rural area I wouldn't have to worry about accidental pregnancies and blah blah blah. This dog is pretty much my life and I let her down in such a big way. Once she's healthy enough, I'm having her spayed.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

My 10 year old intact border collie got a very bad bladder infection over the (canadian) Thanksgiving weekend and in the process of that emergency visit the vet noticed her blood glucose levels were astronomical. I can't remember exactly but it was close to 28mg/dl. I got antibiotics for the infection and made an appointment with my regular vet for the first day she was back to get some more information and testing done.

Long story short, she diagnosed diabetes and we started her on insulin immediately, transitioned her food to Hills Prescription Diet W/D, and started scheduled feeding. She has been on 9 I.U. of insulin once daily, in the morning immediately after her first meal, for about five days now. The problem is, her blood glucose hasn't budged an inch since then. I'm not comfortable testing it at home yet(and my glucometer hasn't arrived yet anyway), so the vet has had me come in with her at various times throughout the day to get it checked, and it hasn't dropped below 20mg/dl once. Her reading today 6hrs post-injection was 25.6mg/dl which is obviously not good.

I've been sick to my stomach for two weeks now over this. No one in my family has ever had diabetes and I've never had an animal with it, so I'm learning everything for the first time and it's so overwhelming sometimes. The vet wants to take things slow, get her infection cleared up, and get her settled on the new food before we go full steam ahead in trying to regulate her blood glucose, but I'm so worried, not having seen any results from the insulin. Is it normal for it to take awhile to see results with insulin? That worry combined with the fact that I'm such a stupid piece of garbage for not having her spayed when I got her is eating me up. I had no idea at the time that diabetes (not to mention the countless other problems) was a risk with unspayed females, and I had thoughts of maybe breeding her. I figured since I live in a rural area I wouldn't have to worry about accidental pregnancies and blah blah blah. This dog is pretty much my life and I let her down in such a big way. Once she's healthy enough, I'm having her spayed.

I am not a dog vet and don't know how dog blood sugars work, so take all this with a container of salt, but I am a type 1 diabetic with some knowledge of how human blood sugars and insulin work. First, the mg/dl is usually an American measurement and tends to run about 90-120 in non-diabetics. It runs a little lower in dogs, but closer to 75 instead of like...20. You're probably using whatever the Canadian measurement is but with mg/dl at the end of it. 20 mg/dl is so low that a person could go into a coma and die if not treated. Low blood sugar is generally pretty easy to treat in people since you can figure out you're low, consume the right amount of glucose and then feel normal again. With a dog...let's just say one of my first memories after getting diagnosed was watching Emergency Vets where a dog died because its blood sugar crashed really badly and didn't get treated for a few hours. This is why your vet wants to take it slow.

They only really sell human insulin these days, but they have a few different kinds. You're probably using R or NPH because those ones are sold over the counter (in 'MURICA) and aren't crazy expensive. 9 units is a lot for a border collie, but it doesn't seem to be doing much which has me guessing she's burning ketones pretty bad. IN HUMANS, R starts working at 30–45 m, peaks at 2-3.5 hours and ends at 5-7. NPH (or whatever the non-Lily one is) starts at 1-3 h, peaks at 4-9 and ends 14-20 hours.

Here's the other end of the problem. Those numbers you're giving me are really drat high. For Americans, that 25.6 is a 460 and that 20 that the poster hasn't reached is 360 and this has been over the course of more than a week. If it were me, the ultimate sucker and my horrible animal who started tearing up my carpet, I'd...I would probably go crying to a second vet with the hope that they'd keep the little bastard at least overnight and got him on fluids and to a point where he wasn't burning ketones.

DO NOT CHANGE YOUR DOSES DO NOT DO ANYTHING WITHOUT A VET.

Speaking of my little rat bastard, he generally isn't very destructive, but I ended up going back to work after being unemployed for awhile. We kept him in my room and it was fine, but then my parents needed to get their bathroom remodeled and he started tearing at the carpet in front of my door because there were strange men making loud noises for hours on end. It wasn't a lot at first, but it's gotten worse since they left and had pulled up a corner of the carpet and has started tearing into the pad. What's the best way to stop him from doing this? It's only something he'll do if I'm not in the room. I thought once the workers were done he'd stop, but nope. Part of it is boredom and a nice long walk in the morning will help. The other thing is he needs something to do during the day. The problem is if I give him a bully stick or something he won't chew on it until someone comes home. He'll sit around and lick it some but that's about it. I might have to switch to crate training.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

She needs to be spayed ASAP. There is even a chance her diabetes could go into remission if she is spayed (but it may not). When was her last heat cycle? If she was in heat in the last 2 months, she has high progesterone levels right now which basically counteracts all the insulin you're giving her. In other words, there's basically no way you're going to get her blood sugar to come down until she is spayed. If your vet is not recommending she be spayed now, you should seek a second opinion. There is no "waiting until she's healthy enough" in this situation. Diabetic animals generally do fine with anesthesia anyway.

Crooked Booty fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Oct 18, 2017

THE RAGGY
Aug 17, 2014

I noticed a couple of weeks back that my staffordshire bullterrier had started bumping into things on her left hand side. She's 11 and her eyes have that rheumy greenish tint when reflecting light that most old dogs seem to have so I didn't think much of it and put it down to her being her usual dickish self.

Since then her left eye no longer reflects light like the right one does and by sneaking a hand around behind her head it became pretty obvious she has lost her sight entirely in the left eye. I of course visited the vet because if it was some degenerative condition that could be halted I wanted to be on the ball, the vet said they could see nothing malicious and that it was just an age thing but now I have noticed that her iris has moved to the front of her eyes curve. I'm doing a poo poo job of describing that, but usually when viewed side on my dogs iris is flat and the front 1/5th of her visible eye is clear lens.

This doesn't feel right to me, back to the vets I guess

edit: typo

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Dogwood Fleet posted:

diabetes info

You're right, I mixed up the mmoI/l and mg/dl measurements. Like I said, I'm very new to this. As for the insulin, I'm using a dog insulin called Caninsulin, and the 9 I.U. of that is the starting dose for a dog her size (40lb~).

She's about 3 weeks into her diestrus right now and the vet wanted to wait until that was done before spaying her, but I see her again on Monday so I'll ask about what my options are for getting that done sooner. I wish I could go to another vet since mine graduated in '79 and as a result is very set in her ways about certain things, but being in a rural area limits my options. The next closest dog/cat vet is about an hour and a half away. That being said, she's still a very good vet, and always makes time to explain everything and answers all my questions, so I'm not in a bad way with her.

edit: About the ketones. Her first visit with the vet had her at 1+ on the strip test, and all the tests I've done since then have only been trace, or negative, including the one this morning. Vet said this was okay, and wasn't an emergency situation requiring hospitalisation.

Martian Manfucker fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 18, 2017

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

My dog had her first litter yesterday! Behold their cuteness!

THE RAGGY
Aug 17, 2014

Well look at those puppers. Hope your dog is doing well, looks pretty settled feeding her litter

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

There Bias Two posted:

My dog had her first litter yesterday! Behold their cuteness!

gently caress, they're tiny!

Your dog has the 1000-yard "What the gently caress did I do!?" stare.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I have some dog questions.

My roommate Dan has a dog named Dexter. Dexter is a male and he's 3 years old.

He's generally well-behaved, but has some really annoying issues:

1. He seems to suffer from separation anxiety. He starts whining even during short periods of separation. For example, when Dan goes to use the restroom, Dexter sits in front of the bathroom door and continuously whines until Dan comes out. Similarly, when Dan steps out of the house temporarily to grab something from his car, Dexter becomes anxious and whines while looking out the window.

2. We occasionally let Dexter out onto the backyard to sit in the suns. We noticed some strange behaviors though. He likes eating grass and chewing on the leaves of various plants we have. This poses an issue usually later that night when he wakes up and pukes on the floor. Dan always cleans it, but it's still very worrying.

3. Dexter also has a habit of licking stuff. He'll lick the floor, he'll lick couches, walls. No idea why. I suspect it's some sort of compulsive stress reaction but I don't know for sure.

Dan is aware of these issues, but so far has not done anything to resolve them. I suggested he play with Dexter more often, take him out on longer and more frequent walks to tire him out and also put him through some strict training regimens. However, he hasn't done any of those things.

Anyway, sorry for the e/n, but I don't know much about dogs and I definitely don't know anything about owning one, and Dexter is the first dog I've lived with. So I'm looking for some guidance on how to handle this situation with regards to what I can do. I work from home so I spend a lot of time with Dexter, whereas Dan is at work from 7 am to 6 pm. I know Dexter is not my responsibility (and so does Dan) but his behavior really gets on my nerves sometimes and distracts me from my own work.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

enraged_camel, try reading this article on separation anxiety. We're slowly working on it in my own dog, and it's a process.

I don't know enough about the other issues yet to advise you, though. Apollo looooves to eat grass when we go on walks, and while I don't let him eat too much of it, it's apparently a Thing dogs do, and can indicate stress or a sore stomach... or that he likes the taste of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Man, I suppose every dog owner has to find out the hard way (pun intended) Noticed two large firm lumps at the base of the penis, freaked out for a second. It's normal :downs:

http://dogcare.dailypuppy.com/enlarged-bulbus-glandis-canine-6490.html

Content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VhvOXx3_QM

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 23, 2017