Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

vyst posted:

Works fine on my pixel XL 1

I am so drat curious when this started working then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The only thing different on my links is two pauses after both the conference id and password. So two commas on each basically

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

vyst posted:

The only thing different on my links is two pauses after both the conference id and password. So two commas on each basically

But the whole thing is filled out on the phone app right? The way it used to work was I'd click the number and it would open up the dialer, and then none of the bridge info would be entered in. So I'd hit dial, switch back to the calendar invite, and try to punch it in while I was driving or something. It was totally awful.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

ILikeVoltron posted:

But the whole thing is filled out on the phone app right? The way it used to work was I'd click the number and it would open up the dialer, and then none of the bridge info would be entered in. So I'd hit dial, switch back to the calendar invite, and try to punch it in while I was driving or something. It was totally awful.

Yea it fills it all in

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Checked out the pixels at the Verizon store and I'm pretty sold on the regular Pixel 2. I was leaning towards the panda XL cause of the screen and colorway but the bezels on the 2 were fine and it just felt more solid in my hand. The XL also had a sunken screen effect where the glass seemed higher and there was a gap between the fingers and screen if that makes sense. I've read other people didn't feel the same so I guess it's subjective. If I didn't have babysized hands I would probably stick with the XL but trying it out confirmed that it's too big for me. I'll just get the black and throw on a white bumper to get that panda look.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Recently (as in just tonight) I've been getting a "Google play services keeps stopping" message and a login loop (I try logging in with my email, but it loops back to entering my password).

I cleared Google Play Service's cache, but that didn't seem to work.

EDIT: Had to factory reset. Luckily I have a backup.

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 15, 2017

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
So did anybody test the power button on the new Pixels yet? Getting kinda nervous over here already!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

gently caress, the G5S Plus went back up to $350. I guess the $50 off was a limited promotion then.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

AlexF posted:

So did anybody test the power button on the new Pixels yet? Getting kinda nervous over here already!

They haven't shipped yet. What did you want people to test?

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Some people got their hands on them at stores, no? I just wanted to make a joke because I'm the power button guy :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

AlexF posted:

Some people got their hands on them at stores, no? I just wanted to make a joke because I'm the power button guy :(

Oh that was you haha

Yeah it's at US Verizon? stores only. Probably won't exist in Canada another month :(

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
While you're at it please also test the volume buttons.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Can we bring back cardboard cuts to test if the phone fits in my jeans?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Something I noticed over the past couple days, with respect to Screen Pinning:

On both of my phones that I upgraded to Oreo (Pixel XL and Nexus 6P), both had the "Ask for unlock pattern before unpinning" option set from when I first set up Screen Pinning on them.

Both blithely let me unpin screens without putting in my passcode, until I disabled and re-enabled screen pinning. Has anyone else noticed that happening with Screen Pinning on Oreo?

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

I played around with a pixel 2 in a Verizon store this Friday. They were pretty much as click as my pixel xl

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Are there any other UK retailers, that are going to sell the Pixel 2 XL? I've found Clove and Handtec, altho latter has a hefty premium on the prices.

Theoretically I'm gonna order on the German Google store, given I've an address now to send it to. The black 64GB XL2 is still listed at 4-5 weeks, but I'm wanting to plan for it to become unavailable, with what waiting for my new credit card.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

maltesh posted:

Something I noticed over the past couple days, with respect to Screen Pinning:

On both of my phones that I upgraded to Oreo (Pixel XL and Nexus 6P), both had the "Ask for unlock pattern before unpinning" option set from when I first set up Screen Pinning on them.

Both blithely let me unpin screens without putting in my passcode, until I disabled and re-enabled screen pinning. Has anyone else noticed that happening with Screen Pinning on Oreo?

Can confirm.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Any word on if the pixel2s support video out over usb-c?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
White pixel 2 64gb is back to shipping oct 22 instead of 6 weeks.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AlexF posted:

Funny thing is I thought of you checked this when I was playing with them (before you posted). They're lovely and clicky but have a slight front-back wobble. Pretty much identical to the original Pixel.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
How much would I get for my 8 month old mint condition blue Pixel 1 32GB in the UK on eBay or whatever?

Network unlocked.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Tunga posted:

Funny thing is I thought of you checked this when I was playing with them (before you posted). They're lovely and clicky but have a slight front-back wobble. Pretty much identical to the original Pixel.

Noooooo!

I'll get it anyway. Even after a year I can't get used to iOS at all. 11 makes it even worse somehow.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I don't know much about iOS but lots of coworkers are coming to android after years of iphones. Hell, one of them got a P10 and installed nova launcher after telling him to do so and he is amazed of the amount of things you can tweak.

I still can't understand that you can't just copy media to an iphone and you have to use iTunes for everything.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Guillermus posted:

I don't know much about iOS but lots of coworkers are coming to android after years of iphones. Hell, one of them got a P10 and installed nova launcher after telling him to do so and he is amazed of the amount of things you can tweak.

I still can't understand that you can't just copy media to an iphone and you have to use iTunes for everything.

This is where I'm at, waiting on my pixel 2 to show up. If I never have to touch PC iTunes again, it'll be too loving soon. Even if I hate everything about the android OS (pretty unlikely, I'd imagine) not having to touch that clusterfuck again would probably make it worth it.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Mu Zeta posted:

gently caress, the G5S Plus went back up to $350. I guess the $50 off was a limited promotion then.
Yeah, feelin real good about the 64gb version I ended up paying a total of $230 for this week after a discounted gift card, a store promo, and Best Buy POS fuckery. I'm liking the phone a lot so far - not quite as much as my old LG G4, but with the benefit of knowing it probably won't boot loop repeatedly.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ok, this is kinda cool.

Apparently the Pixel 2 has 25 increments for media volume instead as 15 like is standard on most Android devices.

jacksonchan
Jun 29, 2005

Stupid question, but if I'm on Verizon and plan on sticking with Verizon, I can use the unlocked pixel 2 xl on Verizon, right? I've got an order in for a Verizon pixel 2 xl through Google, but it's not shipping until November, it looks like the unlocked one ships on Oct 22.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yes, it works exactly the same.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Why the heck isn't the Moto G5s + USB C? This is madness

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Also checked out the Pixel 2's at Verizon today on the way home. The Pixel 2 seemed like a smaller Nexus 6P from the front. Felt good in the hand and even though the bezels are on the big side, I can see it being a solid phone as long as it holds up. The Pixel XL2 I was in love with (the one I saw was Black which was still very nice looking) and I was surprised how it felt actually lighter in the hand. The curved screen is a bit of a bummer compared to the non XL, but it looks like it is flat to the screen edge, then the glass rolls off the edges so hopefully it is truly flat enough that a glass screen protector will work unlike the essential with that terrible crown starting like a cm in from the edge.

One thing I noticed was looking at the XL from the side, it seemed to turn the white color of the demo a very blue tint. Looking straight on it was just fine but I wonder if that was something to do with the edge curve or something. Was kind of surprised but not something I would probably notice much in normal use.

I was impressed how good it looked playing a 1440P60 video and pumping out some good audio through the 2 speakers too. Hopefully this phone will last the 2+ years I hope to keep it because drat I can't wait for mine.

Huh, looking at the Google store, it looks like the Unlocked Black & White 64G 2 XL is shipping today. No Ships By date on it at all. The normal Pixel in both colors has a ship date of later this month and the 128G B&W 2 XL has a waitlist lol.

So if you have to have a Panda XL right now, you can if you're ok with 64G.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 16, 2017

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
What should I be looking for in a USB-C to USB-A cable? My computer has no C ports, so to transfer stuff I'll need a cable. The Pixel 2 does not come with one (only a C-C cable) so I'm diving into the scary world of USB-C cables that won't fry my computer/phone. Would these Anker cables be ok? It doesn't say USB-IF certified but it has the right resistor and it is a reputable company.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-usb-c-adapters-cables-and-hubs/

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Welp, my GFs 5x just poo poo the bed. Looked like bootlooping at first, but after like five minutes it just gave up and refuses to even get stuck in a boot loop. Holding the power button does nothing, and plugging it in doesn't show the charging battery either. From perfectly functional to dead brick with no warning. Fun stuff. It was also conveniently a few months out of warranty, and not purchased from google, not that I think that would have made a difference, no one I know with a problematic 6p has gotten any help from google support even if bought there.

Time to get a G5+ I guess.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What should I be looking for in a USB-C to USB-A cable? My computer has no C ports, so to transfer stuff I'll need a cable. The Pixel 2 does not come with one (only a C-C cable) so I'm diving into the scary world of USB-C cables that won't fry my computer/phone. Would these Anker cables be ok? It doesn't say USB-IF certified but it has the right resistor and it is a reputable company.

I got a Belkin USB 3.1 (apparently not exclusively for Apple now) A to C that works perfectly.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Alan_Shore posted:

Why the heck isn't the Moto G5s + USB C? This is madness

I assume this is down to them being "budget" phones. Honestly I'm fine with it since I don't particularly want the blessings of Cable Roulette in my life and the G5+, at least, charges plenty fast as is.

The really baffling one to me is that (as far as I know only) the American versions lack NFC, for basically no reason whatsoever.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I know NFC is a pretty standard feature nowadays but, while having it on all my daily drivers since 2013, I have yet to find a single time I've used it. I don't pay with my phone and... Any other use? I'm curious since when I've tried NFC for data sharing between my N7 2013 and one of my phones, it never worked. I'm sure that I'm doing something wrong but I can't just get what it is.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Android Pay is great, and since I strongly object to any amount of money whatsoever being taken from my card without user authorisation, I would far sooner use it than my bank card wherever possible.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Guillermus posted:

I know NFC is a pretty standard feature nowadays but, while having it on all my daily drivers since 2013, I have yet to find a single time I've used it. I don't pay with my phone and... Any other use? I'm curious since when I've tried NFC for data sharing between my N7 2013 and one of my phones, it never worked. I'm sure that I'm doing something wrong but I can't just get what it is.

For awhile, I was kind of into using NFC with the App Trigger to do some automation.

My earliest use of NFC was that I had an NFC tag in my car mount, and I'd use that to flip my phone into car mode when I stuck it in the mount.

When I first started using two-factor authentication,, I had an NFC tag that I stuck to my desk at work and at home, that would launch Google Authenticator.

When I went from my Nexus 5 to my Nexus 6P, I did use the NFC transfer to transfer the data over, but I don't recall it going a smoothly as it went with the USB OTG adapter that I used to go from the 6P to the Pixel XL.

When I started using multiple bluetooth headsets and speakers, I put a bluetooth tag on my keychain that would cause my phone to disconnect from all bluetooth devices it was currently connected to, so it was free to hook up to the one in front of me.

I also have two pairs of Bluetooth headphones and one speaker with a built-in NFC tag, which made the initial pairing simpler. But outside of that, I haven't actually used my phone's NFC capabilities in a year or so (Since being forced to upgrade my Debit card kicked me out of the grandfathered Banccorp-mediated Android Pay integration), and none of my phones currently have the Trigger app installed.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Phosphine posted:

It was also conveniently a few months out of warranty, and not purchased from google, not that I think that would have made a difference, no one I know with a problematic 6p has gotten any help from google support even if bought there.

For a while, people were getting refurb Pixels from Google to replace a bad battery 6p. People with a 5x got a replacement 5x.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

maltesh posted:

For awhile, I was kind of into using NFC with the App Trigger to do some automation.

My earliest use of NFC was that I had an NFC tag in my car mount, and I'd use that to flip my phone into car mode when I stuck it in the mount.

When I first started using two-factor authentication,, I had an NFC tag that I stuck to my desk at work and at home, that would launch Google Authenticator.

When I went from my Nexus 5 to my Nexus 6P, I did use the NFC transfer to transfer the data over, but I don't recall it going a smoothly as it went with the USB OTG adapter that I used to go from the 6P to the Pixel XL.

When I started using multiple bluetooth headsets and speakers, I put a bluetooth tag on my keychain that would cause my phone to disconnect from all bluetooth devices it was currently connected to, so it was free to hook up to the one in front of me.

I also have two pairs of Bluetooth headphones and one speaker with a built-in NFC tag, which made the initial pairing simpler. But outside of that, I haven't actually used my phone's NFC capabilities in a year or so (Since being forced to upgrade my Debit card kicked me out of the grandfathered Banccorp-mediated Android Pay integration), and none of my phones currently have the Trigger app installed.

Sounds cool. I guess I'll keep disabling NFC on my devices.