Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mu Zeta posted:

What the hell was Donna's idea at the diner

Word of god is they put like 3 ideas/hints in the shot from the future and I guess the viewer can decide what they think or want it to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Lee Pace was Bryan Fuller's first choice to play Buffalo Bill in Hannibal s4 before he moved on to American Gods, just putting that out there.

Rhyno posted:

With all the quality tv they have I'm kind of shock that USA hasn't started up their own streaming service.

I'd pay $5 a month to watch the old UP ALL NIGHT bumpers.

Maybe if they get Gilbert Gottfried and Elvira to do intros for their new shows.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Please don’t spoil the Halt and Catch Fire finale in this thread you loving idiots jesus

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
the final scene is a dying steve jobs holding a snow globe

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Vanderdeath posted:

The Halt and Catch Fire finale was really good and I felt myself getting verklempt towards the end but Peter Gabriel will do that to you.

I really disliked Cameron in seasons 1 and 2 but drat if I wasn't rooting for her and Donna this entire season. Give everybody on that show all the awards, please.

Also Lee Pace and Kerry Bishe are unfairly attractive people. Pace's eyebrow game is stronger than Peter Gallagher's and I didn't think that was humanly possible.

This. The show really got a lot better in the later seasons and I guess while we needed a lot of the drama of the early ones in order to tell the story, there was a lot of shock value drama and poor writing/acting(particularly with Cameron) early on that lowered the overall quality. I suppose you can blame some of that on needed to be flashy and keeping the story moving for the sake of keeping an audience at a time when a lot of stuff was being greenlit and then burning out, but for a show that felt like the MadMen of 80s computer science; it went the completely opposite direction when it came to slowly telling a story.

I came in to TVIV to post in the thread about it but I guess there wasn't one for this season and this is where the discussion is happening so sorry for wanting to talk about a spoiler!

The scene between Cam and Joe in the aftermath of seeing Yahoo! on the toolbar was setup and framed exactly the same way you'd do a miscarriage and it was beautiful. Some of the writing was so good this season, I don't think there was a single scene where I didn't love the verbiage they used.

If you stuck with the show though you really got a fantastic payoff here at the end. Ended at just the right time too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Using tags is cool, it's just people talking without tags about an episode that didn't even air 24 hours ago that sucks :)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

PaybackJack posted:

The scene between Cam and Joe in the aftermath of seeing Yahoo! on the toolbar was setup and framed exactly the same way you'd do a miscarriage and it was beautiful. Some of the writing was so good this season, I don't think there was a single scene where I didn't love the verbiage they used.

Re: toolbar

Was Microsoft Explorer and a bunch of other browsers not a thing? They had a Playstation so it must have been 1996 at least. Also I don't recall companies like Lycos and Alta Vista giving up instantly to Yahoo. They should have stuck it out.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
HOLY gently caress IS THAT CAROL KANE

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Mu Zeta posted:

Re: toolbar

Was Microsoft Explorer and a bunch of other browsers not a thing? They had a Playstation so it must have been 1996 at least. Also I don't recall companies like Lycos and Alta Vista giving up instantly to Yahoo. They should have stuck it out.

Comet was just an allegory for their relationship. Cameron told Joe she wanted out, and he kept her involved by getting her to work on the Netscape integration. When it became clear that their goal of being able to work with Netscape wasn't going to pan out, both realized that was the end of their working relationship and thus the end of their personal one as well. Like, they were just trying to buy some more time together and then they realized they wouldn't even have that so they both just cut everything off. Basically the only reason why Comet was still going after Gordon died and Haley left, was that it was a way for Joe and Cameron to be together even though they'd both realized they couldn't remain together episodes earlier.

Unrelated: really nice speech from Donna about women in Tech, bit of fan service there which I'm sure the Feminist Frequency people will gush over but I thought it had some good undertones to the characters and wasn't too out of place.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 15, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That makes sense. Also I second the attractiveness part. In fact they all look younger in season 4 than season 1.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
re the time period: donna mentions to haley that star trek generations is new out, which is late 94, but the ps1 didn't come out in the US until late 95. either it's a japanese console or just an error.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Lmao that they tried to do some servitude/aristocracy forbidden love episode in Frasier like it was the victorian age. Not to mention that despite being treated like one Daphne is a fully licensed physical therapist and probably makes way more than a butler

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

re the time period: donna mentions to haley that star trek generations is new out, which is late 94, but the ps1 didn't come out in the US until late 95. either it's a japanese console or just an error.

Time: Generations came out in November 94, PlayStation came out in Japan December 94. But being an investment company they would likely have developers show their test builds on test hardware.

xerxus fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 15, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that makes sense.

Finale was great btw! Not totally perfect, but a very satisfying end to the series. So many excellent and emotional scenes.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Sorry for posting the stuff unspoilered I'm phoneposting. Also, Jesus, Generations was 1994? I swore I was older when I saw it in theaters but as a wise man once said - "Time is the fire in which we all burn." :smith:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Guy Mann posted:

Lee Pace was Bryan Fuller's first choice to play Buffalo Bill in Hannibal s4 before he moved on to American Gods, just putting that out there.

He would have been a perfect Dolarhyde, imo. But with Fuller slowly working toward a season four of Hannibal, and Pace no longer busy with HaCF maybe we'll get him as Bill. Just depends on if they snatch up the rights for Silence of the Lambs, I think Lifetime has lost or is losing them soon.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Only got through half of s1 for HaCF before I stopped which is pretty crazy since I was one of the first people on it.

Guess I have no choice but to finish now.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 15, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It improves a lot in the second half of s1, and then in s2, and then in s3 again.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Lee Pace is stunning in Hobbit films, I was sad when I saw his real face. Seems like a bloody nice fellow though.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Halt basically never stopped getting better, which is one of the hardest things for *any* work to do.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

It definitely got better as the series went on, if I had to rate the quality of the seasons it would be like 5/5.5/6.5/9

The series really came into it's own and finally balanced the character progression with the anachronisms. I think in the early seasons they made the characters too cliche' and overly dramatic to make them interesting alongside the nostalgia trip. This last season they took a step down in every way and grounded everything, which made the characters more real and their relationships more interesting.

I was actually not even planning to watch this season but that it was only 10 episodes and the last one I said gently caress it and did. I'm glad I did too, huge leap in quality.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 15, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

re: HaCF I really loved how the only one who really, truly changed in the end was Joe, the person everyone would least expect to.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I REALLY loved the latest episode of The Orville.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DivisionPost posted:

I REALLY loved the latest episode of The Orville.

It's shaping up to be a really good show

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So for the Daphne gets fat to hide Jane Leeves' pregnancy, did they purposefully put her in the most unflattering clothes possible just to roll with it

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

esperterra posted:

Just depends on if they snatch up the rights for Silence of the Lambs, I think Lifetime has lost or is losing them soon.

That's a rumor that hit the Internet a few years ago but it has never been verified or corroborated by any source.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

After watching Silence of the Lambs, Sicario, and Wind River, I never need to see another "young, inexperienced, female FBI agent" character ever again. Unless Fuller does something crazy and make Clarice into a serial killer.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Timby posted:

That's a rumor that hit the Internet a few years ago but it has never been verified or corroborated by any source.

Which part? Lifetime having the rights to Silence and Fuller not being able to use characters originated in it is well stated fact. Or do you mean the rights being up soon?

I'm not sure of any few year old rumours about the current rights situation, I'm just talking about stuff I've heard in the past few months, since Fuller started talking publicly about Hannibal returning in a few years being very much in the works.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

tessiebee posted:

Lee Pace is stunning in Hobbit films, I was sad when I saw his real face. Seems like a bloody nice fellow though.

My friend, are you suggesting Lee Pace isn't stunning IRL because that man is loving gorgeous.

I've been carrying this torch since Tarsem Singh's The Fall and Pushing Daisies though.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Vanderdeath posted:

I've been carrying this torch since Tarsem Singh's The Fall and Pushing Daisies though.

hell, same

And that awful horror movie with SMG. Possession or something? Also Wonderfalls, clearly.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
oh, SuperMechaGodzilla was in a horror movie?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

oh, SuperMechaGodzilla was in a horror movie?

If only.

Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's very unfortunate that that terrible film shares a title with the greatest movie ever made.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

esperterra posted:

Which part? Lifetime having the rights to Silence and Fuller not being able to use characters originated in it is well stated fact. Or do you mean the rights being up soon?

I'm not sure of any few year old rumours about the current rights situation, I'm just talking about stuff I've heard in the past few months, since Fuller started talking publicly about Hannibal returning in a few years being very much in the works.

The rights reverting part -- back around the time the show was canceled, someone on Reddit started saying that the Silence rights would go back to Martha De Laurentiis in August 2017--is the rumor part. I know that Lifetime was developing their own Silence series for ages.

The closest we know to anything from Fuller is that De Laurentiis is in discussions for "something."

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Timby posted:

The rights reverting part -- back around the time the show was canceled, someone on Reddit started saying that the Silence rights would go back to Martha De Laurentiis in August 2017--is the rumor part. I know that Lifetime was developing their own Silence series for ages.

The closest we know to anything from Fuller is that De Laurentiis is in discussions for "something."

Yeah, makes sense. I certainly don't know anything definitive about the Lifetime rights, but I would hope they'll lapse soon if they don't put out a product. They've had them for a while and done jack poo poo.

I really hope, if the show does return, we get to dive into the Clarice stuff. Fuller's spin on the Will Graham story was great and I would love to see how he twists up the Silence/Hannibal stuff, especially since he already borrowed a little for the first seasons.

Of course, in my perfect world he would do this without shoehorning Will into the story. I'm done with Will. But I'm sure Fuller would keep him on. The Fannibals or w/e would probably riot anyway.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

esperterra posted:

Of course, in my perfect world he would do this without shoehorning Will into the story. I'm done with Will. But I'm sure Fuller would keep him on. The Fannibals or w/e would probably riot anyway.

I was going to say that they could turn him into a Buffalo Bill figure -- not a copy, but occupying a similar space within the narrative. But I guess they already did that with the Red Dragon stuff.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Open Source Idiom posted:

I was going to say that they could turn him into a Buffalo Bill figure -- not a copy, but occupying a similar space within the narrative. But I guess they already did that with the Red Dragon stuff.

Yeah, the only way I would be cool with Will staying on is if they had him basically be our Jame Gumb for the Clarice stuff. But then we wouldn't get glorious Lee Pace as him so gently caress Will imo!!!

Hugh Dancy did phenomenal work in that role, and his chemistry with Mikkelson is off the charts, but his story should end with Red Dragon.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Speaking of Halt and Catch Fire, here's some fun nostalgia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95-yZ-31j9A

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As funny as that Today show internet stuff is there's something oddly prescient about their instinctive concerns about people losing themselves in the internet, getting overwhelmed with information, and losing privacy.

If only 1995 Katie Couric could begin to understand this whole Rick and Morty thing. Or you know, Trumpism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

esperterra posted:

hell, same

And that awful horror movie with SMG. Possession or something? Also Wonderfalls, clearly.
The Grudge, wasn't it?

• Locked thread