Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

McMadCow posted:

For any UK Dorkroom Goons:
I had a work selected for the Royal Photographic Society's annual exhibition. It opens in London on 12-16 October, and then on to other venues around the country. Check it out if you're nearby!
http://www.rps.org/ipe160

This is like a 5 minute walk from my office, I may swing by and check it out if I get a few hours free!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Theophany posted:

This is like a 5 minute walk from my office, I may swing by and check it out if I get a few hours free!

Nice! Let me know how the install looks if you make it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

what the poo poo is yashica doing :psyduck:

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

im the camera settings you have to unlock with a purchase and that can be physically lost requiring repurchase

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

apparently they had way too much money and felt like risking bankruptcy on a stupid idea

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
My god. It's loving Amiibos for a digital camera.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

polyester concept posted:

im the camera settings you have to unlock with a purchase and that can be physically lost requiring repurchase

lmao I didn't even think of this

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

LBR I would deal with all of that bullshit if the camera were actually usable, but for $150 there's not much they could have put in there.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm imagining the Game Genie some hacker puts together in 3 months that lets you "unlock" any combination of settings the camera is physically capable of.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

:chloe:

quote:

Using YASHICA Y35 is a journey to the truth—there is no instant gratification of a review screen, no delete button, and no hiding from mistakes

Like the mistake of making this camera?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They should have gone all in and stored the photos on the cartridge and you have to drop it off at a drug store to burn the images to a CD.

Then buy a new cartridge because the old one is "used."

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I look forward to buying one for like $20 on ebay in a year or two just because its weird.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Me too. Really oddball stuff like that Yashica insanity are quite appealling, when they're priced at "cleaned beneath the sofa" levels.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
It would be a really fun kid's camera.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

ExecuDork posted:

Me too. Really oddball stuff like that Yashica insanity are quite appealling, when they're priced at "cleaned beneath the sofa" levels.

This is basically the reason my job exists. I list stuff on ebay for seattle goodwill and the poo poo we see is amazing. Also I have my own huge cart full of broken SLRs and weird camera stuff.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

apparently they had way too much money and felt like risking bankruptcy on a stupid idea

This isn't Yashica. Yashica no longer exists. This is a Chinese import/export company who bought the rights to the name and are mostly using it to rebrand snap-on cell-phone camera lenses.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
So Yashica is the new Vivitar. Got it.

I'd still gently caress around with one of those stupid not-film cameras if I found one for $10.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

8th-snype posted:

I look forward to buying one for like $20 on ebay in a year or two just because its weird.
Yeah this. It'll be great to tech my 5YO

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah this. It'll be great to tech my 5YO

I just bought an Olympus PEN E-PL2 with the sigma 30mm as the starter camera for my 10 year old. $70 for the body.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://petapixel.com/2017/11/06/review-touch-bar-macbook-pro-eyes-creative/

Normally I like PP articles, and especially their service in summarizing Youtube videos which I will probably never watch (which is a practice I wish was far more widespread).

As a person looking into solutions for my 2013 MacBook Air's underwhelming ability to work with RAWs, this review was so useless it made me mad.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Kenny Logins posted:

Normally I like PP articles, and especially their service in summarizing Youtube videos which I will probably never watch (which is a practice I wish was far more widespread).

As a person looking into solutions for my 2013 MacBook Air's underwhelming ability to work with RAWs, this review was so useless it made me mad.

I would say what I thought of the article but a full screen pop up “you are the winner!” Ad popped up with no way to close it half way through so I’ll just say that up to the point I did read it was pretty useless.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Isn't petapixel just a ad delivery site where literally anyone can make blog posts to help them feel like they're a journalist?

Basically never click a petapixel link because you're just making them money.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

I have Ghostery so I never have any ad pop-ups. Like I said I think their video summaries are a decent service but yeah otherwise it's a pale mirror of DPReview at best.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

You hang around yospos. You already know the new MBPs are a disaster.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

akadajet posted:

You hang around yospos. You already know the new MBPs are a disaster.
It's true, but I was hoping for a "creative" perspective just in case there's some workflow redemption from the dang dumb touchbar despite the godawful keyboard that breaks if you look at it wrong.

I guess if anything, my slow (for the purpose) laptop is forcing me to triage/edit/mildly process way more in-camera which is not necessarily the worst on an X-T20.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Get the mbp anyways. Even with the flaws it's got to be better than any cheap plastic windows laptop.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

akadajet posted:

Get the mbp anyways. Even with the flaws it's got to be better than any cheap plastic windows laptop.
My solution has been to instead get an iMac of some kind for photo work instead because apart from working with RAWs the MBA is still extremely good. I doubt the iMac Pros coming out will cause any sea change in prices but you never know.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

akadajet posted:

My plastic “gaming” laptop with a 17” ips display begs to differ :smug:

But seriously, I got a MacBook Pro in 2012 and editing on this HP laptop that I got last year with sick red lights and jagged gaming designs makes me look like an idiot but after calibrating the monitor it is so much better to edit on in terms of screen real estate and processing power and it is significantly less than half the price of a comparable MacBook Pro that would have anything close to the same specs. The graphics card isn’t as good as my pc but the processor is and I got it to make editing on the couch more enjoyable since gently caress editing in a computer chair for hours at a time.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The problem with the plastic laptops is that they physically give up after a couple of years if you use them as intended (on the go). The modern magnesium macs are waaaaay more tanky.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

I'll never forget the time my plastic Acer laptop's top hinge plates tore the plastic out from under the screen after 2 years tops. Hinge itself was fine, I guess. What an expensive crock of poo poo that was.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

evil_bunnY posted:

The problem with the plastic laptops is that they physically give up after a couple of years if you use them as intended (on the go). The modern magnesium macs are waaaaay more tanky.

Yeah, I'm not hard committed to apple laptops, but I haven't bothered buying a laptop that didn't have a metal chassis for almost 10 years now and it's been great. Still kind of miss my old hp Envy, that thing was a literal tank.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Kenny Logins posted:

My solution has been to instead get an iMac of some kind for photo work instead because apart from working with RAWs the MBA is still extremely good. I doubt the iMac Pros coming out will cause any sea change in prices but you never know.

Do you do the smart preview trick, it massively speeds up my processing of fuji raws in LR.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

8th-snype posted:

Do you do the smart preview trick, it massively speeds up my processing of fuji raws in LR.
I should clarify I don't have an iMac yet, and I don't have LR yet. I am planning on getting both shortly, especially since Christmas time means tons of photos to take.

OSX Photos super-sucks for RAWs on my setup and likely in general, but I can't see that LR would be massively faster on a 2013 MBA, even with the Smart Preview function. Maybe I'll try LR first and see if that trick speeds things up to acceptable levels, thanks for mentioning it.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 9, 2017

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Kenny Logins posted:

I should clarify I don't have an iMac yet, and I don't have LR yet. I am planning on getting both shortly, especially since Christmas time means tons of photos to take.

OSX Photos super-sucks for RAWs on my setup and likely in general, but I can't see that LR would be massively faster on a 2013 MBA, even with the Smart Preview function. Maybe I'll try LR first and see if that trick speeds things up to acceptable levels, thanks for mentioning it.

LR is slow as hell working with Fuji xtrans3 RAWs, hanging up on zoom and stuff like that. Just make smart previews on import and then disconnect the actual file source so you are only working on smart previews. It takes me like an extra min to rename the folder and restart LR but then it flies. You just have to remember to reconnect and restart before export. I was gonna buy a new machine right up until I learned about this, I edit on a 2013 Dell laptop that's basically on it's last legs but now I won't upgrade until it actually dies.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I couldn't find a non-archives thread more relevant than this one, but a job ad popped up on my daily search (for jobs that are nothing to do with photography) that some of you might find interesting.
Indeed.com Link

If that doesn't work, or you hate Indeed, try this Welcome to CoStar!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

ExecuDork posted:

I couldn't find a non-archives thread more relevant than this one, but a job ad popped up on my daily search (for jobs that are nothing to do with photography) that some of you might find interesting.
Indeed.com Link

If that doesn't work, or you hate Indeed, try this Welcome to CoStar!

"We are seeking individuals who thrive in a metrics and performance based environment"
:commissar:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

8th-snype posted:

"We are seeking individuals who thrive in a metrics and performance based environment"
:commissar:

"You WILL get us those clicks!"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

AP's photos of the year have been selected, as have National Geographic's

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
BBC have a retrospective of the best images from Getty photographers. Some amazing photos in there. The hockey shot and the surfer image stand out to me particularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Terry Richardson is under investigation by the NYPD over several sexual assault allegations. Color me surprised.