Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Is this modeled in CMANO? or What, are the Chinese still mad?

http://taskandpurpose.com/top-gun-c...m_medium=social

quote:

A Pentagon official told CNN that one of the Chinese SU-30 jets came “within 150 feet of the US plane, with one of the Su-30s flying inverted, or upside down, directly above the American plane.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Elendil004 posted:

Is this modeled in CMANO? or What, are the Chinese still mad?

http://taskandpurpose.com/top-gun-c...m_medium=social

Next patch includes a "shook meter" which may force flights to rtb if menaced too hard

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Pilot ability to drive home a devastating own across the language barrier is the single most important dimension of combat effectiveness

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Hot drat what a mission :stare:

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Poking the bear was a god drat bloodbath. Thanks, majority who voted for it

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
I was wondering why we were asked to run cover for subs that are known for being unfindable. Now I know!

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Not gonna wait for the post-mission results to say that Red Comet has safely ejected and is itching to rejoin the fight!

Realbarrow
Dec 5, 2013

Good work, Bearpoker lobby! You should all feel bad.

My body is ready for procurement though. 1.3 billion dollars can buy a LOT of planes.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Given our frankly stupid amount of money, is it worth buying ourselves out and going private? If we did a quieter next theater to make up for a smaller potential force we could get way more freedom in what missions we do if there's nobody around to care besides us...

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009
That was a great plot twist.. :catstare:

power crystals posted:

Given our frankly stupid amount of money, is it worth buying ourselves out and going private? If we did a quieter next theater to make up for a smaller potential force we could get way more freedom in what missions we do if there's nobody around to care besides us...

Agree. Taking this opportunity to give the Goons a soft reboot is not a bad idea.

Realbarrow
Dec 5, 2013

power crystals posted:

Flippin' agreed. I think now is a great time to buy ourselves out and become the A-Team But With Airplanes. :v:

Roeben
Jul 23, 2013
There's not many ways this confrontation could have gone well for us. Now we have to sit on the blisters and think of a way to stick it to the USN in the future.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Roeben posted:

There's not many ways this confrontation could have gone well for us. Now we have to sit on the blisters and think of a way to stick it to the USN in the future.

This is a bad idea.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I cant access the twitch or youtube streams, all I know is poo poo went bad and we apparently got a shitload of money.

The postmission info can't come quickly enough. :ohdear:

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Roeben posted:

Having exchanged shots with Russia, we should now also pick a fight with the United States because :ins:

While we didn't actually take out any Mays, we did technically allow the US to accomplish its goals, so I'm curious if they'll still pay us something anyway. Either way, there's no reason to add more hostilities here.

Roeben
Jul 23, 2013
Maybe There will be an OP somewhere in the future where the roles are reversed and we get to be the ones using them as bait. Other then that, I'm not for loving with another superpower.

Roeben fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 15, 2017

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Roeben posted:

Maybe There will be an OP somewhere in the future where the roles are reversed and we get to be the ones using them as bait. Other then that, I'm not for loving with another superpower.

Oh, that's alright then. Just to me this seems like proper turnaround on us for having done a similar thing in our very first theater. Good Chekovs gun Yooper, I shoulda seen it coming!

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 15, 2017

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Groggy nard posted:

Oh, that's alright then. Just to me this seems like proper turnaround on us for having done a similar thing in our very first theater. Good Chekovs gun Yooper, I shoulda seen it coming!

It's Rohan's Revenge from the afterlife! :spooky:

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

C'mon drat you! :f5:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Ikasuhito posted:

C'mon drat you! :f5:

Can't you watch the VOD on twitch?

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

CourValant posted:

Can't you watch the VOD on twitch?

There's a post-mission update that has the link to the youtube, the butcher's bill in losses, how much we made/the entire war chest, an AAR from Yooper's perspective, and what's in store for the near future.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Operation Ultima Weapon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CPB86Gax4k

Mission Summary

Fallen Goons

Losses
2 - JAS 39 Gripens
2 - F-16's
4 - F-4E's
2 - Mig-19P
1 - SU17M-3
1 - Bell Fire-X UAV

Maskirovka. The Russians are masters of showing you the left hand while the right hand holds the hammer. Today, during Ultima Weapon, we were the left hand. At 1056 Vladivostok time a single USN Ballistic Missile Submarine surfaced right in the middle of the harbor. They greeted a harbor pilot, dropped off some mail, a bottle of Jack Daniels for the Russian Pacific Admiral, and just as quickly disappeared beneath the sea. Admiral Halsey III taught the Russians a lesson on Maskirovka. The Russians focused on the small prize while the USN always had an eye on the big one.

Cobbie and his forces exfiltrated the weapon shortly before Alabama National Guard Bradley's bombarded the airfield. The cloud cover obscured those M4's from our Damocles pods. Had they arrived just a bit sooner it's likely our cargo planes would have been lost on the runway. As it is Cobbie is poo poo-faced drunk in Whitehorse with Bruce the Parrot asking for his drinks in German and English.

Goldman Sachs and the New York State Teachers Union Retirement Fund are a bit upset over the plane inventory. They've made profits on us already so they're able to write off some of those losses. For the moment they're "encouraging" us to re-evaluate long term strategic assets and maximize profits for the price.

We danced with a bear and the bear mauled us. It was a good plan. Ultima Weapon did everything right. Everything. We happened to stumble right into a high concentration of MIG-31's with missile ranges longer than ours. On top of that a pair of PAK's came in on our flank. To make it scarier, our Gripen's radar couldn't illuminate the PAK at just 30 kilometers. It was a damned ghost. Had we snuck in closer we'd have had the SAM's from the Kirov to deal with as well. It was a hard mission, made harder by our depleted air wing.

Mitsuhasi has ceased to exist as we know it. The other Japanese owners swooped in and split it up into a dozen different chunks, like a budget sushi roll. Iceberg retreated to the Gulf of Mexico where they now trawl for shrimp in slightly less hostile waters. Last we heard they are the sole shrimp provider for Disney. BSNC has reined in the radicals and returned to life as a premier US Government supply contractor.

(Yes, I know those are penguins. Yes, I know there aren't penguins in Alaska. It's the theme of it.)

And the Tuge? Well, as we were leaving the RedNeck flotilla was landing near the burned hulk of that Newport. It was nothing but trucks rolling coal, SledNeck hats, and Milwaukee's Best. Two days later and the first winter squalls really set in. They claimed St. Lawrence for the Tuge and his nut-job friends but are now begging the US Coast Guard to come and pick them up before they freeze to death. Sometimes possession isn't enough, sometimes you need a brain too. One of the most famous photographs of the conflict is an eagle perched on a burned out M4 with an Infowars sticker baked and blackened on the turret.

At the end of the day our mission was accomplished. The USN regrets our losses but has assured me that certain defense logistics paths will open up for us in the coming procurement. Oh, those Karel Doorman's shelled that superyacht on the way out. Those guys sure talk with a funny accent, but I think they might be here to stay.

Theater wide attrition has taken its toll on our air wing. Our Tornado's are still quite strong and made a good showing. Everything else though is running like poo poo. In the A2A arena we are kind of hosed. But as the world is descending into PMC madness plane choices are both opening up, and also falling technologically back. Our favorite weapons, the stand-off packages, are becoming hard to find. Very, very hard to find.

Long term it means we need to evaluate how best to deal with a depleted stock of high-tech weaponry. Weapons like the SDB, SDB2, Meteor, 120D, and any super-range BVR is now a silver bullet. These are no longer our default packages, instead we'll have a limited stock per theater. Use them all in one mission and potentially lose out later on.

But almost everyone else will be at the same disadvantage.

The choice becomes a few newer planes who can field the silver bullets, or a whole shitload of older packages that lack the gently caress-off BVR ranges? Each supplier will offer options. Some better than others. Of particular interest is the re-emergence of failed experimental packages. Good planes that simply weren't good enough to get made beyond the prototype. Well, it's hard to argue with R&D dollars, and now some of those planes are coming back. I mean if you invest all that money in a carrier based F-117, it'd be a shame never to build one, right?

Take some time, discuss what we need, make some plans, proposals, lobby's, and give me some time to work on the Procurement packages.

Peace sells. But who's buying?

Us. We've got $1,046,725,307.11 to buy as much peace as we want.

Back to you Hired Goons.

OOC Bit Here : This was a difficult mission. Davin did great. I ran the mission hundreds of times and we almost always killed the May's. Except the RNG hit perfect and the patrols overlapped at exactly the right moment. As far as procurement goes, remember to keep it chill. This is a ficitonal world with fictional pixel-planes. Yes, failure sucks, but it's still a game. Enjoy it as such.

The next theater options will include the Balkans, a more serious option, and a more comedy based option. The more serious is just in comparison to the others, it'll still be over the top and fairly crazy.

Thanks again. I hope all of you are having as much fun as I am.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

How many F-20 tigersharks can our budget buy.

I vote we buy all those.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
We need to take a good, hard look at our pilots' tendency to fire every single missile the entire flight has at a single target if we can't just have infinite BVR missile stocks. Myself included.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
This is what I think of Russia:

:nws: https://imgur.com/oGA3VoV :nws:

Also if we're talking about non-developed aircraft the list is endless. I'm fond of the F-16XL myself, but the YF-23 would be nice too.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Strawpoll for future missions.

http://www.strawpoll.me/14157856

We've done 5-6 missions per theater. Would you rather stick with that, or smaller mission scale?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Is... is that Leon Trotsky loving a bear?

E: Wait, no goatee.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Seems like most if not all of the missions we've run in this theater have been RNG screwed. Maybe smaller and slightly less complex missions will keep that from happening too often.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Yooper posted:

Strawpoll for future missions.

http://www.strawpoll.me/14157856

We've done 5-6 missions per theater. Would you rather stick with that, or smaller mission scale?

I'm fine with doing 5-6 missions per theater.

Roeben
Jul 23, 2013
Lets talk about older or cheaper planes that'll aren't in production but would be going into mass production by now.

Please feel free to add to this list, which we can expect to see in our procurement and as benchmark opposing forces:

- F-5/F-20
- Saab-37 Viggens
- JF-17's
- Mig-29's and 27's
- F-16's are bound to be popular from now on

Experimental planes such as the Mirage G?

Roeben fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 15, 2017

Coiler121
May 26, 2017
I'm earnestly undecided about small vs. big missions, because I can see the pros and cons of both sides. I think I like big missions a little more (and voted for them) because they really show off what the game can do, but I don't really have anything against the smaller ones either, and can even view them as a good experiment/change of pace.

Roeben
Jul 23, 2013
Can do short/long missions with a 2:1 ratio?

I'm talking about shorter, more frequent missions with a larger "season finale" every now and then.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Roeben posted:

Lets talk about older or cheaper planes that'll aren't in production but would be going into mass production by now.

Please feel free to add to this list, which we can expect to see in our procurement and as benchmark opposing forces:

- F-5/F-20
- Saab-37 Viggens
- JF-17's
- Mig-29's and 27's
- F-16's are bound to be popular from now on

Experimental planes such as the Mirage G?

F-4s of any kind, Intruders, and I still really want those EWAR Lansens.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Coiler121 posted:

I'm earnestly undecided about small vs. big missions, because I can see the pros and cons of both sides. I think I like big missions a little more (and voted for them) because they really show off what the game can do, but I don't really have anything against the smaller ones either, and can even view them as a good experiment/change of pace.

Roeben posted:

Can do short/long missions with a 2:1 ratio?

I'm talking about shorter, more frequent missions with a larger "season finale" every now and then.

I feel the same way. having a few smaller skirmishes followed up by a "all hands on dick" big mission sounds like a good way to change the pace up.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Lol Grapeshot. Couldn't see poo poo, hosed off back home, didn't die. Ace merc pilot right there folks.

You know what's relatively cheap? F-16s.

We should buy like, 50 f-16s. Spend the rest on botes.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Are F-14's coming back if so we need F-14's, also some F-15C's

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gentlefolk. I believe now is finally the Iranian F14's time.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
It is always time for Iranian F-14s.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

power crystals posted:

F-4s of any kind, Intruders, and I still really want those EWAR Lansens.

It's a shame CMANO seems to lack the F-4X. A Mach-3 interceptor Rhino would be :krad:

I say go full VietGoon Airforce, bring in the Rhinos, Thuds, Intruders and Crusaders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What are we going to get from the Navy?