Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ys 8 actually has a bunch of dialogue and story so it would be nice if it was translated well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They all do and its always no bueno

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Samuringa posted:

They never said it was the first 11 hours, maybe it was Route B.

It was Route B.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

route b is kind've a drag (tho I actually like the hacking minigame) but it does set up c well. especially if you've played yoko taro's previous games and go in expecting stuff like route b to begin with

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Real hurthling! posted:

They all do and its always no bueno

I strongly disagree with this

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yunica's story in Origins owns.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Grem posted:

Next COD is about Desert Shield and you just sit on your rear end hearing about the Air Force killing everyone.

Operation Just Cause. Same as above except sometimes you press X to play rock music real loud.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

Yunica's story in Origins owns.

I made up my own for her and its probably way cooler cause she swears in it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Bloodborne is dramatically more forgiving with fall damage and there aren’t nearly as many “Surprise! You are dead!” pitfalls/traps.

You also have a dedicated health button, the rally system lets you undo a mistake if you play correctly following it (whereas in Dark Souls you’ll probably just die) and I don’t think it’s controversial to say that Bloodborne’s dodge is way more forgiving.

Traps pretty much always give you a visual cue. I thought Bloodborne was bullshit hard the first time I played it coming off of 3 Souls games. I wanted my shield back. The I played it again and actually played it right and yeah, it's probably a bit easier than Souls because of regain.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Andrast posted:

If one or two hours was the deciding factor for me I wouldn't have played some of my favorite games ever.

Just this year I thought the whole beginning portion of Horizon was boring as gently caress. Once it opened up and I got out of the starter area I really liked the game though.

Seriously. I mean, The Last of Us, Bloodborne, Horizon, SOMA, Persona 5, etc, etc, my favorite games of the past decade....all these games took me at least 3 hours to start feeling it...and in the case of Persona, TLoU, and Bloodborne it was more like 7 hours.

It boggles my mind that people expect full payment in under an hour from their vidja. Like, at that speed you're not even engaging with the game (the fundamental strong suit of interactive media), you're literally just swilling it.

"800-game library" :vince: you don't get bonus points for collecting them all, dude, LMBO

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Hold r1 to solve translation problems

Ys VIII is the one Ys game where Falcom bothered to have a proper story and character arcs, so it being the one with the trainwreck translation is doing it a disservice.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Oxxidation posted:

what kind of idiot plays an RPG for the gameplay

Anyone who likes SMT games

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Seriously. I mean, The Last of Us, Bloodborne, Horizon, SOMA, Persona 5, etc, etc, my favorite games of the past decade....all these games took me at least 3 hours to start feeling it...and in the case of Persona, TLoU, and Bloodborne it was more like 7 hours.

It boggles my mind that people expect full payment in under an hour from their vidja. Like, at that speed you're not even engaging with the game (the fundamental strong suit of interactive media), you're literally just swilling it.

"800-game library" :vince: you don't get bonus points for collecting them all, dude, LMBO

There are 2 kinds of not feeling it games for me. There is "I'm not feeling it but I want to push through or continue later" and "this is crap and not worth my time" for example I played Dragon Age: I for like 6 hours and thought the latter about it, so I just got rid of it and never went back. At the same time I'm not going to tell someone who played it for a 100 hours and loved it that it sucks and they are wrong for liking it.

The thing about Rage is that if you strip out the open word stuff, it's a loving great linear set piece shooter that is about 10 hours long. Straight up I liked it better than Wolfenstein and equal to to Doom. And you can drat near skip the open world if you want. Comparing it to borderlands is dumb because it's not a loot game and it's not a true open world game. It's much closer to other ID games with a open world tacked in between than BL. Borderlands is also hideous and Rage has great art direction. I like it so much because the levels are awesome with a lot of variety, the shooting is absolutely brutal, the whole game has a layer of gross gore over it that is great, and it's got some of the best animation I have seen in a game that gives it this extra bit of personality to it that made it memorable to me. I'll be the first to admit the whole package does not fit together gracefully, but most of the stuff that's in it is great. I wouldn't fault someone for not liking it but if you played it for an hour you missed everything that is good about it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

It's honestly amateur tier compared to some Steam goons.

Also you apparently don't understand the difference between "getting your money's worth" and "enjoying". I never said I wanted my 60 bucks worth of entertainment out of one hour of game time, like you're implying. I'm saying if I play a game for an hour and think it sucks, I'm probably not going to keep playing it.

I'll never understand the need of some goons to drag themselves through things they aren't enjoying because of the hope it might get better. There are plenty of games out there that are fun to play right from the start.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

veni veni veni posted:

There are 2 kinds of not feeling it games for me. There is "I'm not feeling it but I want to push through or continue later" and "this is crap and not worth my time" for example I played Dragon Age: I for like 6 hours and thought the latter about it, so I just got rid of it and never went back. At the same time I'm not going to tell someone who played it for a 100 hours and loved it that it sucks and they are wrong for liking it.

The thing about Rage is that if you strip out the open word stuff, it's a loving great linear set piece shooter that is about 10 hours long. Straight up I liked it better than Wolfenstein and equal to to Doom. And you can drat near skip the open world if you want. Comparing it to borderlands is dumb because it's not a loot game and it's not a true open world game. It's much closer to other ID games with a open world tacked in between than BL. Borderlands is also hideous and Rage has great art direction. I like it so much because the levels are awesome with a lot of variety, the shooting is absolutely brutal, the whole game has a layer of gross gore over it that is great, and it's got some of the best animation I have seen in a game that gives it this extra bit of personality to it that made it memorable to me. I'll be the first to admit the whole package does not fit together gracefully, but most of the stuff that's in it is great.

I actually 100% agree with your first paragraph here.

But I mean, it should be obvious why RAGE gets compared to Borderlands. They came out pretty close to each other and went for fairly similar post-apoc settings, at least superficially.

I'm sorry if my knocking it seemed personal or whatever, but I really don't see how it stacks up to Doom 2016 at all. Then again I feel the same about the new Wolfenstein. Like, it feels like it should be as good but something about it just feels off, like they weren't confident enough when they made it. I'm hoping the new one takes more cues from nuDoom.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think I'm just pretty in tune with the stuff I like by now and don't take very many chances on goon recommendations, so I rarely find the need to muddle on. Chances are if a game leaves me with a strong impression I'll know within the first hour or so if it's worth my time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DrNutt posted:

I actually 100% agree with your first paragraph here.

But I mean, it should be obvious why RAGE gets compared to Borderlands. They came out pretty close to each other and went for fairly similar post-apoc settings, at least superficially.

I'm sorry if my knocking it seemed personal or whatever, but I really don't see how it stacks up to Doom 2016 at all. Then again I feel the same about the new Wolfenstein. Like, it feels like it should be as good but something about it just feels off, like they weren't confident enough when they made it. I'm hoping the new one takes more cues from nuDoom.

I see why it gets compared to borderlands but most people just use that as a knock on the game to dismiss it. Their similarities are pretty skin deep so it's like saying Battlefield is just more Call of Duty.

I feel like Rage is worth defending because most of the people who hate on it didn't actually give it a shot. I'd even be willing to bet if you went back and played the whole thing you'd have a different opinion of it. A lot of people have mixed feelings on it, which is understandable but I don't think many would argue that there is a really cool shooter within the bloat (which you can mostly avoid if you want to. The car combat is legit fun though) I like it it as much as Doom because there it had a lot more variety in level design and a lot more to look at. Doom 2016 is awesome, but it's really bare bones and feels repetitive after a while.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I've been meaning to try out Rage now that it's BC in the Bone, but there's so many more recent and critically "worthy" games that I also haven't played yet so it's hard to justify my time to myself...

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's a game that would benefit greatly from an HD texture pack, because as is playing it on a modern rig puts it into this weird place where the models and animations look good for their time, but everything has a really blurry look up close, even when the MEGATEXTURES have time to load in. It's like textures are from 2005 and everything else is 2011.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I don't know why it's so unreasonable to expect a game to be good from the start. It's cool if you power through and end up enjoying it but don't expect everyone to want to continue playing a game they're not enjoying

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Real hurthling! posted:

I made up my own for her and its probably way cooler cause she swears in it

I'm sorry.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The worst thing about Rage were the terrible side missions: They consisted of main story location levels & some uninteresting backdrop story, but with the level entrance blocked off so you would traverse them in reverse. The epitome of lazy content recycling.

Don't play Rage, plenty of better games out there.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

exquisite tea posted:

I think I'm just pretty in tune with the stuff I like by now and don't take very many chances on goon recommendations, so I rarely find the need to muddle on. Chances are if a game leaves me with a strong impression I'll know within the first hour or so if it's worth my time.

Same. There is so much poo poo out there to sink your time into, that waiting through drudgery is often annoying.

Also, the worst things about Rage was everything related to the cars. The best things about it was the first person shooter gameplay. I took on most of the side missions because of that.

Also, the ending to the game feels super rushed. You actually start exploring a new area that is completely different from everything else and then the game just ends.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 15, 2017

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I rented Rage and liked it okay, but you are definitely not wrong that the ending was abrupt as hell. It always felt to me like one of those games where you eventually can say "Well the first in the series was rough, but then it found its feet in the sequel, they focused up on the things which worked (and some parts of Rage worked really well) and they knew where they were going with the story and paced it better, and got rid of/changed some of the bloat which didnt work as well from Rage 1. Play 2 and if you like it go back and see if you can power through the first one". Except of course that it tanked hard and never got a sequel, so we are left with a flawed game with real potential and some fun parts. There are worse games that got a better reception.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
It's been a stellar year for games, but it's going to be pretty tough for anything in the next couple months to unseat Nier: Automata as my game of the year. The soundtrack alone probably could have put it in the running, but it might be the only game I've completed this year that's left me wanting more. Everything else I've either hit a point where I only kept playing because I wanted to be done with it, and never mind all the games that didn't hold my attention well enough to keep me playing.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Meldonox posted:

It's been a stellar year for games, but it's going to be pretty tough for anything in the next couple months to unseat Nier: Automata as my game of the year. The soundtrack alone probably could have put it in the running, but it might be the only game I've completed this year that's left me wanting more. Everything else I've either hit a point where I only kept playing because I wanted to be done with it, and never mind all the games that didn't hold my attention well enough to keep me playing.

How many times have you jerked off to the anime sex robot?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

fridge corn posted:

Please don't talk about my friend Pascal like that.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

fridge corn posted:

Not enough to get the special ending for it apparently.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DrNutt posted:

It's honestly amateur tier compared to some Steam goons.

Also you apparently don't understand the difference between "getting your money's worth" and "enjoying". I never said I wanted my 60 bucks worth of entertainment out of one hour of game time, like you're implying. I'm saying if I play a game for an hour and think it sucks, I'm probably not going to keep playing it.

I'll never understand the need of some goons to drag themselves through things they aren't enjoying because of the hope it might get better. There are plenty of games out there that are fun to play right from the start.

I never said anything about "getting your money's worth", you just misunderstood my figure of speech.

For some games the "payoff" comes after a long period of emotional engagement with the material. TLoU, for example, I'm not even sure I'd call it "fun", as per your wording, but it's certainly immersive and incredibly satisfying. I'd almost say the payoff for that game comes after the 15 hour mark, mainly because the run-up is incredibly stressful.

You could use a similar model for cinema. Many of my favorite films aren't "fun and relaxing", they are challenging or exhausting...which makes an experience more memorable to me.

Pablo Gigante posted:

I don't know why it's so unreasonable to expect a game to be good from the start. It's cool if you power through and end up enjoying it but don't expect everyone to want to continue playing a game they're not enjoying

No, actually, people who are unable to see beyond surface material due to impatience, lack of foresight, or just terrible attention span...are weird.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I generally agree, and I think games are like any other media where a lot of the best stuff doesn't have immediate payoff, and some of the stuff that starts or guns blazing can feel the most hollow in the end. Destiny is a good example for me. It started out so awesome but by the end I loving hated it.

At the same time sometimes ill pop in a game and all sorts of red flags go off that I'm not going to like it. When that happens it's usually time to give up the ghost unless someone I trust assures me it's about to get awesome. Usually if I actually buy something I'm pretty sure it'll appeal to me enough that I'll see it through, but I've ditched a lot of rental games in the first hour.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I never said anything about "getting your money's worth", you just misunderstood my figure of speech.

For some games the "payoff" comes after a long period of emotional engagement with the material. TLoU, for example, I'm not even sure I'd call it "fun", as per your wording, but it's certainly immersive and incredibly satisfying. I'd almost say the payoff for that game comes after the 15 hour mark, mainly because the run-up is incredibly stressful.

You could use a similar model for cinema. Many of my favorite films aren't "fun and relaxing", they are challenging or exhausting...which makes an experience more memorable to me.

No, actually, people who are unable to see beyond surface material due to impatience, lack of foresight, or just terrible attention span...are weird.

An hour isn't "surface material" ideally lmfao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

What a weird post

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Games are a completely different medium from cinema and comparing them in that way doesn't work, also games are a much bigger time investment than movies so expecting someone to slog through something they're still not enjoying after an hour is weird especially considering how some people have limited time and resources for entertainment

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fridge corn posted:

Why do you always make such weird loving posts

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

This is a pretty smug insufferable way of proclaiming that you have Superior taste over the plebs.

Most games don't have stories or concepts good enough to put up with hours of mediocre gameplay for. Even the Citizen's Kane of gaming should have gameplay that keeps you engaged otherwise why would you be playing a game instead of watching a movie?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DrNutt posted:

This is a pretty smug insufferable way of proclaiming that you have Superior taste over the plebs.

Most games don't have stories or concepts good enough to put up with hours of mediocre gameplay for. Even the Citizen's Kane of gaming should have gameplay that keeps you engaged otherwise why would you be playing a game instead of watching a movie?

Deadly premonition is my exception

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Deadly Premonition is art but I cannot in good conscience recommend it to anyone because all the bad things people say about the game are 100% true.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DP is proof that a game doesn't have to be good to be great.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
If you aren't able to suffer through hours of mediocre unengaging gameplay to experience the emotional crux of a video game storyline then i feel sorry for you weirdo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pablo Gigante posted:

An hour isn't "surface material" ideally lmfao

Yes, it is.

Pablo Gigante posted:

What a weird post

No, it isn't.

Pablo Gigante posted:

Games are a completely different medium from cinema and comparing them in that way doesn't work, also games are a much bigger time investment than movies so expecting someone to slog through something they're still not enjoying after an hour is weird especially considering how some people have limited time and resources for entertainment

No, they're not.

DrNutt posted:

If you say so.

I like both, have patience for the design choices/framing devices for both, and realize where they diverge and intersect as distinct mediums.

Wandle Cax posted:

If you aren't able to suffer through hours of mediocre unengaging gameplay to experience the emotional crux of a video game storyline then i feel sorry for you weirdo

Correct, now once more with enthusiasm.