Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
If you're looking for a career why are you looking at the reserves? Particularly for experience? I have a hard time seeing how being a reserve or guard officer translates into any kind of relevant job experience unless their unit deploys. And the one thing junior officers need the most is experience.

I do more in a month or two than my reserve and guard OCS classmates have done in the past 3 years. And most of them work jobs that make less than they would have made as active duty officers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Just curious can he go around the age limit by going in as a reserve officer then going active?
That's how sailors can do it with FTS.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Dick Burglar posted:

So how do you get those jobs, then?

Also going by the goarmy.com site, infantry and armor aren't even listed as reserve options.

Those jobs usually go to academy and ROTC guys, I think.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The AF offers those slots to academy, ROTC, OTS, in that order.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Mustang posted:

If you're looking for a career why are you looking at the reserves? Particularly for experience? I have a hard time seeing how being a reserve or guard officer translates into any kind of relevant job experience unless their unit deploys. And the one thing junior officers need the most is experience.

I do more in a month or two than my reserve and guard OCS classmates have done in the past 3 years. And most of them work jobs that make less than they would have made as active duty officers.

I wanted to supplement a career more than build one. I like the "service" aspect of military and first responder work, and I may not be able to work as a first responder at all, so I'm also interested in the military for that reason. However, I'm not super sold on the idea of going active because you basically hand your entire life over to the military for the next four years. I understand that reserves and guard still have obligations and can get deployed just like active duty, but at least you maintain some level of normalcy in the off-times. I suppose my attitude could change depending on the outcome of my legal challenge.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Dick Burglar posted:

I wanted to supplement a career more than build one. I like the "service" aspect of military and first responder work, and I may not be able to work as a first responder at all, so I'm also interested in the military for that reason. However, I'm not super sold on the idea of going active because you basically hand your entire life over to the military for the next four years. I understand that reserves and guard still have obligations and can get deployed just like active duty, but at least you maintain some level of normalcy in the off-times. I suppose my attitude could change depending on the outcome of my legal challenge.

You want to join an NGO if you want to do actual service for people. The military is not where that happens.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Dick Burglar posted:

So how do you get those jobs, then?

Also going by the goarmy.com site, infantry and armor aren't even listed as reserve options.

The Army Reserve doesn't have actual combat arms units as the ARNG has all of them. If you want to be infantry or armor as a reservist the guard is your only option.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The Army Reserve is largely a ton of support roles that are required to get to major combat (logisticians, sustainers, transport, medical, etc) because when you can't just keep a massive army all day every day, you put sustainment on reserve status and keep combat arms in the force, as much as you reasonably can.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
so since we're talking about officer selection, does being on medication for say Blood Pressure disqualify you from attending OTS/Commissioning? Med group is loving me hard for my commissioning physical and making me go to a doctor on the outside to be "treated" before they forward my packet to the State Air Surgeon/NGB. Never mind the fact that my previous BP results were higher and they still let me in the unit. And NGB stamped my commissioning packet approved in my old unit with those same results as well.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Ok, you guys are right that I don't have a good reason to go OCS. I was trying to justify officer, but the jobs I actually want are enlisted-only and I wasn't sure about going in as an E-4. But I figure I might as well run it by you guys.

The jobs I was initially interested in (beyond helicopter pilot because, hey, it's a helicopter pilot) were combat medic/68W and firefighter/12M. Both jobs work essentially as first responders, albeit differently from their civilian counterparts. Combat medics mainly deal with trauma medicine, which is the kind of medicine I like. I'm already certified as a civilian paramedic, so I'd have a lot less to learn and maybe I'd come in with some extra information the army doesn't teach. Firefighters are firefighters, so I think that's pretty self-explanatory. And, if I can't get the mark on my record removed, this may be my only avenue to work as a firefighter. Assuming the army gives my record the go-ahead.

I'm still thinking reserves/national guard, unless I can't get my record fixed. Ideally I'd like to work as a combat medic in the reserves/NG and also work as some form of law enforcement. I've been looking at things like park ranger and game warden jobs, where medical training is beneficial or required and also LEOs.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 18, 2017

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

If you are college educated there is entirely no loving reason to go in as junior enlisted.

Sure, you have more control over what MOS you get but who loving cares? My housing allowance alone is more than those guys make in a month. No one treats me like poo poo or smokes my balls off if I gently caress something up.

Do you seriously want to be a 30+ year old SPC? And you're basically a private because the other SPC's at least have a couple years in the Army.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Not really, that's why I was trying to justify OCS. I just don't know what officer jobs I'd actually want (that I could get into).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Dick Burglar posted:

Not really, that's why I was trying to justify OCS. I just don't know what officer jobs I'd actually want (that I could get into).

You're literally trying to talk yourself into making a bad decision.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Dick Burglar posted:

I just spoke with an army recruiter earlier today and he told me the max age is actually 31, so once you turn 32 you're cut off. I asked about this specifically because I am currently 31. For reserves, the age cutoff is 35.

I know people are going to say "don't join you idiot" but I'm looking into some branch's officer reserves as an option. I figured being a pilot would be cool (I got Lasik and ended up with 20/15 vision), but who knows what the gently caress I'd end up as, since apparently you get no real say in the matter. And I'm good at making terrible life decisions--what's one more? :v:

if you have a tech degree/experience, join a reserve/guard unit with a cyber mission.

If you have a degree/experience in public speaking, intl' studies, law, political/mil science, etc, join a reserve/guard unit with a Intel mission.

Engineering experience? Become a CE officer.

Also consider the Air Force Reserves/Guard over the Army.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Dick Burglar posted:

Your choice is whatever slots your OCS class gets. It doesn't matter what you want, or what anyone else that wants to become an officer wants. Outside of dudes like JAGs, medical officers or other direct commission folks there isn't a single officer in the Army that had any guarantees on what branch they got.

And don't even try arguing that being a combat medic or a firefighter in the military is at all better for any post military career than having experience as an officer.

The difference in quality of life alone between being junior enlisted or an officer is so stark that it's breaking my god damned mind that someone is even entertaining the idea of enlisting over commissioning.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
:siren: DON'T ENLIST WITH A DEGREE :siren:

Holy gently caress,

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

To be fair, lower enlisted as a reservist in the right MOS isn't horribly bad. But active duty? gently caress no.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
68W AIT is the dumbest loving thing with 4-5 hours of sleep a night, no freedom, a good lenght of several months, treated like poo poo, and spending several hours a day marching back and forth to a dining facility and back. The companies are unmanageable size in 300-400 dudes of total, if one fucks up, all of you get woken up at night to do pushups, which happens all the time. You get constantly punished, and while you do learn cool poo poo in the 7 hours of classroom you have every day, the rest of the day is filled with total and absolute retardation. At least once a week the first formation is at 0245 for a stupid rear end competition run or other event, with a bed time still the same as other days. Formations even on the weekends, and only during last few weeks you might get to go to San Antonio with a battlebuddy and a glow belt, but even then you'll probably get recalled back when one person does something dumb, and if you don't make it back on time for whatever arbitary timeline they give, you get punished, so never go too far or do anything too fun.
ASk me, I'll rant all day how loving dumb AIT for 68W was. It's even more miserable the older you are. It says on the paper the lenght of it is 16 weeks, but that doesn't include inprocessing or anything else, so real lenght is like 18-20 weeks, and and it's a grand old miserable time to the very literal end when you sign out on your PCS leave or get on the Airborne School bus.

It’s the dumbest loving experience, and being a combat medic in a line unit is not being a first responder, it’s basically just being a grunt who does grunt stuff. I just carry a medical bag with me on top of the ruck when doing soldier poo poo, and in garrison I clean, inventory, mop, and do everything else. I have no complaints, I legitimately love my unit, but don't hold delusions of what it is like. I was a civilian firefighter, and this is nothing like it. Being a fireman, you get to run medical calls and fire calls day and night and it's cool, and you get treated like a person even while learning.

This is not it. Sometimes I do medical coverage where I sit there with an ambulance while other people blow poo poo up or climb really tall towers.

Clinic workers are the exact opposite, but they just screen patients and don’t do any hooah poo poo. The days start at the same time and end at the same time, but you have no real control in AIT if you end up in a clinic or a unit. And even in actual units, you might not go out with the companies, you might be in a field hospital or another setting with bunch of other medics.

I love the Army, and I love my unit, and my days are awesome. Still, enlisting is dumb, 68w is even dumber, and you shouldn’t enlist with a degree. Ever. Take it from me.
The shittiest position for an officer is the better deal when compared to the most bestest pog enlisted job.

Do the right thing. Commission or bust.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 18, 2017

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vahakyla posted:

68W AIT is the dumbest loving thing with 4-5 hours of sleep a night, no freedom, a good lenght of several months, treated like poo poo, and spending several hours a day marching back and forth to a dining facility and back. The companies are unmanageable size in 300-400 dudes of total, if one fucks up, all of you get woken up at night to do pushups, which happens all the time. You get constantly punished, and while you do learn cool poo poo in the 7 hours of classroom you have every day, the rest of the day is filled with total and absolute retardation. At least once a week the first formation is at 0245 for a stupid rear end competition run or other event, with a bed time still the same as other days. Formations even on the weekends, and only during last few weeks you might get to go to San Antonio with a battlebuddy and a glow belt, but even then you'll probably get recalled back when one person does something dumb, and if you don't make it back on time for whatever arbitary timeline they give, you get punished, so never go too far or do anything too fun.
ASk me, I'll rant all day how loving dumb AIT for 68W was. It's even more miserable the older you are. It says on the paper the lenght of it is 16 weeks, but that doesn't include inprocessing or anything else, so real lenght is like 18-20 weeks, and and it's a grand old miserable time to the very literal end when you sign out on your PCS leave or get on the Airborne School bus.

It’s the dumbest loving experience, and being a combat medic in a line unit is not being a first responder, it’s basically just being a grunt who does grunt stuff. I just carry a medical bag with me on top of the ruck when doing soldier poo poo, and in garrison I clean, inventory, mop, and do everything else. I have no complaints, I legitimately love my unit, but don't hold delusions of what it is like. I was a civilian firefighter, and this is nothing like it. Being a fireman, you get to run medical calls and fire calls day and night and it's cool, and you get treated like a person even while learning.

This is not it. Sometimes I do medical coverage where I sit there with an ambulance while other people blow poo poo up or climb really tall towers.

Clinic workers are the exact opposite, but they just screen patients and don’t do any hooah poo poo. The days start at the same time and end at the same time, but you have no real control in AIT if you end up in a clinic or a unit. And even in actual units, you might not go out with the companies, you might be in a field hospital or another setting with bunch of other medics.

I love the Army, and I love my unit, and my days are awesome. Still, enlisting is dumb, 68w is even dumber, and you shouldn’t enlist with a degree. Ever. Take it from me.
The shittiest position for an officer is the better deal when compared to the most bestest pog enlisted job.

Do the right thing. Commission or bust.

Vahakyla, please don't post up paraphrased communiques I sent you trying to change your mind before you enlisted. Or at least cite with Turabian or Chicago style.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If you enlist with a degree you deserve to go to the shittiest unit in the military.

And 99% of the time that unit is whatever unit you go to.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

if you enlist with a degree it had better be into an extremely good tech mos

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Naked Bear posted:

Holy gently caress,

On that note is there anyone here who was a Infantry PL? I wanna talk to them about their job.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Now go read through all of the posts Mustang made in the army thread. He's cav I believe, but there's enough crossover in the experience that it should give you a good idea of what being an infantry PL is like.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Now go read through all of the posts Mustang made in the army thread. He's cav I believe, but there's enough crossover in the experience that it should give you a good idea of what being an infantry PL is like.

Wonder how it's working out for her.

Did all that. Got the gist of it, it sounds really dumb and that he lucked out with a good platoon otherwise he would be the dude in the strip.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Viva Miriya posted:

On that note is there anyone here who was a Infantry PL? I wanna talk to them about their job.

Here are literally all the infantry PLs I can recall knowing, summed up (I didn't know that many, cause I'm not infantry, and I'm not a military socialite)

1. Quit the military about as soon as he could have.
2. Went SF, probably would've quit otherwise.
3. Went SF, certainly would've quit otherwise.
4. Transferred to a functional area as far from infantry as you can get.
5. See 4.
6. Dead.
7. Kicked out for DUI.
8. Branch Transferred.
9. Is Mustang*

*I don't REALLY know Mustang, but w/e.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
Ok so I need some advice here:

October I got selected by my wing to continue the Officer Selection process. iN Guard world that means that the wing will slot you as an O contingent on National Guard Bureau stamping your packet approved. So you have to assemble a packet to send.

I have all the documents I need, except a completed "commissioning physical" (which is absolutely *pointless* as im not going rated and will be too old for rated next year. Plus my last physical was two years ago, guard requires one every 5).

My first physical was to be completed back in October but wasn't because my BP was too high. Fine. Went to an outside physician, on my own time/dime, 5 days and got good readings. Scanned them and sent them in. So now even IF my BP is high again, I was not referred for treatment by the outside physician, so my unit doc is just gonna check my BP and sign off on the packet. A signature is all im waiting on.

Got the signature on November drill?

Med group: Oh no sorry our systems are down

December Drill (next saturday)?

Med group: Oh no sorry, we cant spare 15 minutes to get it signed off so he'll have to wait til January.

I was supposed to be gone for Enlisted Cyberwarfare tech school the end of January. Obviously, Im hesitant to scrap those orders before Im confirmed as O-select by NGB.

So at what part, if any, do I forward this up to my chain and ask for help?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Immediately.

Sometimes this kind of poo poo can be solved a phone call from your commander up to battalion, and from there over to who handles medical.

Other times not, but it can't hurt.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Absolutely, now.

And the commissioning physical has nothing to do with rated, it's not a flight physical. It should just be the standard one.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Godholio posted:

Absolutely, now.

And the commissioning physical has nothing to do with rated, it's not a flight physical. It should just be the standard one.

Ah so its an AD thing as well. Are their really health standards for non rated jobs or is just to have an updated health record at time of commissioning?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I think it's the latter.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
There are health standards related to commissioning that likely overlap with a lot of the enlistment ones: are you broke, have you taken antidepressants, have you been on ritalin, etc. Different historical and current factors are allowed/waiverable/nonwaiverable at different times. This pops up in commissioning programs a lot, particularly with college-aged folks, because someone gets halfway into the process and either admits they've had a suicide attempt before OR decides to self-diagnose sleepwalking or some poo poo. Should be a standard physical and records review, but it has to be on the books as a checklist item.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Enlist infantry with a degree you pussy bitch

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Anyone ever taken a commission into NOAA? Wanna hear about dragging geophysical equipment off the back of boats

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I don't really, except for reading about a retired C-2 Greyhound pilot whose name I can't recall anymore who described it as No Organization At All.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Do NOAA/PHS officers get the same pay and retirement as Coast Guard/DoD services?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Since it's a government agency I'm going to guess yes

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They are commissioned officers in the uniformed services.

GREAT SATAN
Aug 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
edit: nah

GREAT SATAN fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 28, 2020

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

GREAT SATAN posted:

guys, i'm on the brink of re-enlisting and would appreciate your candid feedback

Don’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GREAT SATAN
Aug 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
edit: nah

GREAT SATAN fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 28, 2020