Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Do you need to take a commanding officer to take a command squad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
And WTF is with the Crusader entry? I guess they all have storm shields for free? 15 points seems pretty good.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Do you need to take a commanding officer to take a command squad?

1 per officer in matched play, page 132

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

And WTF is with the Crusader entry? I guess they all have storm shields for free? 15 points seems pretty good.

Crusaders are baller as gently caress. They're so good.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Phyresis posted:

which genius picked this design ffs

Space Elves.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Re: made to order, anyone particularly interested in this guy?

Finally got my hands on a rogue trader avatar to paint and he came in the lot too.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

yeah i was thinking about buying one of them and also a bonesinger, if they aren't prohibitively expensive. which they will be

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Bonesinger kicks rear end, can see it being very popular. Probably won't get it but I do want the Farseer throwing the horns as well

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
Come on GW please, please, please make Dire Avengers not suck. A decent Biel Tan trait would be nice too, but actually being able to field my handsome blue boys is the priority.

Also, that bonesinger. I did not think I would need to buy any models with this release. How silly I was.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

i cant believe how overpriced dire avengers are. their cost makes NO sense relative to the other troops in the game

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
I have to assume that a points cost for the Avenger Shuriken catapult was added quite late in the index writing when they remembered autarchs could take them (though frankly 7 points is too much for it there) and forgot that this made avengers cost 17. Or it was intended to be the cost for the exarch’s second one.

A dark reaper exarch with shuriken cannon costs the same as a dire avenger. Makes you think.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Hihohe posted:

Maybe someday our aspect warrior models will be new :smith:

That's a real monkey's paw wish. The original Aspects were the best minis in the Eldar range (alongside Warlocks) and got replaced with buck toothed striking bunnies and skull head reapers.

Never forget!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

nice

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Time to dig out the random assortment of old eldar models and throw them on ebay I think!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Nice gift for Panascope

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Zark the Damned posted:

That's a real monkey's paw wish. The original Aspects were the best minis in the Eldar range (alongside Warlocks) and got replaced with buck toothed striking bunnies and skull head reapers.

Never forget!

I get being down on the current Dark Reaper sculpts, but the old metals were [the bad kind of] goofy trash. The best Eldar models are obv the Phoenix Lords.
:goonsay:

Look at these idiots:

Also, the scorpions got replaced again. They look fine now.

How many different Aspect sculpts have there been? Were the striking scorpions the only ones to receive two 'modern' versions?

Gato The Elder fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 15, 2017

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Warp Spiders teleported here from 1993

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

I get being down on the current Dark Reaper sculpts, but the old metals were [the bad kind of] goofy trash. The best Eldar models are obv the Phoenix Lords.
:goonsay:

Look at these idiots:

Also, the scorpions got replaced again. They look fine now.

How many different Aspect sculpts have there been? Were the striking scorpions the only ones to receive two 'modern' versions?

Most aspect warriors have 3 generations of sculpts. All the finecast models currently on sale are 4th edition except for warp spiders which still are the same lovely original 2nd edition sculpts. Swooping Hawks also only have 2 sculpts.

All the 4th edition sculpts are pretty great, in my opinion, except for swooping hawks (actually, those are 3rd ed). 3rd edition Striking Scorpions are awful but 3rd edition Dark Reapers and Fire Dragons are pretty cool and make a good alternative to the 4th edition counterparts for some variety.

Phoenix Lords seriously need updating, their proportions almost uniformly suck and the sculpts are so old, even though some like Fuegan, Asurman and Maugan Ra are still pretty loving awesome.

I really want that Bonesinger, it's one of the only sculpts I don't have in metal, or at all. Are made to order typically of similar quality to finecast or better?

EDIT: Here is a good guide w/ all the sculpts over the ages. http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Eldar

EDIT 2: I know these things because I've spent the past 2 months tracking down just about every single sculpt in metal for my Eldar Army because I really like aspect warriors. I would kill for plastics...

bonds0097 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 15, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Phyresis posted:

Warp Spiders teleported here from 1993

Yeah I had never scrutinized them until earlier today I picked up a box and 0_0

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
One of those Russian boobmodel companies actually makes some pretty decent warp spiders

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I wanna like those but the guns are just too loving big.

The Exarch sculpt is infinitely better tho like no contest.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily you can buy it by itself

Just don't go exploring that site too much because it can get pretty cringey

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

goose willis posted:

Luckily you can buy it by itself

Just don't go exploring that site too much because it can get pretty cringey

lmao this one's on that very page

lewd eastern european third party minis are hilarious

e: i happen to like the way the lovely old Warp Spiders look

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The skull faced Dire Avenger Exarch is infinitely better than the Egyptian beard man.

I kinda miss the chain mail and bell bottoms Guardians from way back too.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

That company makes some pretty good models sometimes, like this knockoff Leman Russ

It would be nice if they focused on cool stuff instead of endless boobmodels

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Phyresis posted:

lmao this one's on that very page

lewd eastern european third party minis are hilarious

e: i happen to like the way the lovely old Warp Spiders look

I think it's a good design conceptually, just dated.
EDIT: About the Warp Spiders

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 15, 2017

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Haha wow they apparently made Mortarion now too

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Holy poo poo this Inquisitorial Batmobile

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I got some alternate Kastellan heads from them. Good quality and super quick delivery.

Shame for the rest of the site.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Baby’s first army questions:

If I’m running a successor chapter, can I pull in characters from the main chapter and use them? If it helps, I’m specifically talking about a raven guard successor and wanting to add Kayvan Shrike.

Similar to the first question, can I use the dark fury assault squad? I don’t know poo poo about them other than they look cool.

Lastly, how effective is Saint Celestine paired with space marines? I was thinking about picking her up anyway just to paint, but if she’s useful that’s a big plus.

Thanks!

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

OptimusWang posted:

If I’m running a successor chapter, can I pull in characters from the main chapter and use them? If it helps, I’m specifically talking about a raven guard successor and wanting to add Kayvan Shrike.

Similar to the first question, can I use the dark fury assault squad? I don’t know poo poo about them other than they look cool.

Lastly, how effective is Saint Celestine paired with space marines? I was thinking about picking her up anyway just to paint, but if she’s useful that’s a big plus.

Thanks!

Probably not in competitive scenes but otherwise go ahead, as long as they're using the same <chapter> go nuts.

Dark Furys aren't in 40k, could make for neat Vanguard Vets tho.

Celestine's disgusting with every Imperial faction.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

OptimusWang posted:

Thanks!

Technically no, if you are playing the Spookybats, you get RG chapter tactics and strategems, but not relics or characters. There' snothing stopping you from just saying "These are Raven Guard", even if they are painted blue, though.

Dark Furies only have rules in 30k. In 40k, they can be Vanguard Vets with lightning claws, though.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Post your kitbashes!

The deathshroud kit comes with a spare scythe head for whatever reason so I chopped off the purifiers knife and replaced it, going to say it's the Plaguebringer as the putrifier is literally the only real deathguard unit that can take it!

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

OptimusWang posted:

Thanks!

If you're using a successor chapter paintjob but a founding chapter's rules and people get pissy about not letting use the founding chapter's characters, why not just declare "For the purpose of this game, this army is actually the founding chapter, but with a slightly different color scheme for one military campaign"? The only problem is if you want to run one chapter's tactics and strategems and another chapter's characters.

Dark Fury Assault Squad seem like they can be fielded as counts-as vanguard vets with all lightning claws.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Cross-posted from the painting thread, since that seems to be allowed here:

Stephenls posted:

So the base isn't done as such; I still need to paint the rim black to sharpen it up, probably add another layer of snow flock to eliminate the salt-and-pepper effect I'm getting where there's just a few spots where no snow flock adhered and it looks like black dots, and the marine is still only stuck on there with his sole pins -- after I glue him down I'll need to add a bit more flock around his feet so he looks like he's standing in snow instead of on it. Also, in the category of things too late to fix on this base but that I could do for later ones, the colors aren't great because I tried to paint a woodland base and then stuck snow on it, instead of painting the base so it would look good with snow on it -- I ought to have used colder, darker colors to make the contrast between the snow and the bits of ground you can see around the snow pop more. And finally those grass tufts don't look great; I could use something like Woodland Scenics underbrush or bush flocking for a more voluminous surface that snow will actually rest on top of, like snow rests on real bushes.

The problem is I hate the overall effect and nothing I wrote in the above paragraph will fix the major problem, which is that I'm going for smooth snow like a blanket over the landscape, not... whatever the hell lumpy white gravel pit effect I've achieved here.

I could use baking soda on white glue, but research into that indicates it'll yellow and eventually liquify and run off the base in three to eight years, ruining the mini. I could use baking soda on superglue, but soda bicarbonate and cyanoacrilate chemically react, causing the glue to accelerate its drying and causing the soda to crystalize more permanently but clump up, ruining the smooth blanket effect. I could use talcum powder, but that's a lung hazard and also the only stuff they sell around here is scented like baby powder. I could use the paste Vince Venturello advocates in this video, but it's difficult to create a smooth blanket effect when spreading a thick paste around with a paintbrush and I sort of hate the globby clumpy snow effect he achieves there. Finally, I could just do a textured base and then carefully paint a smooth layer of snow on it using various blends of blue and white paint, but... yeesh, that feels like a lot of work.

Anybody have any other suggestions on better snow bases?

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Awesome, thanks all.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Not being allowed to use characters or relics from the chapter you're playing a successor chapter of is a giant middle finger to people who want to make their own, so I wholeheartedly support telling those people to go gently caress themselves.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Stephenls posted:

Cross-posted from the painting thread, since that seems to be allowed here:

That black armour is loving gorgeous, holy poo poo :magical:

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Alternately-alternately:

"He's not Kayvan Shrike, he's... uh... Layvan Thryke, chapter master of my successor chapter. He just uses the rules for Kayvak Shrike, the same way my successor chapter uses the rules for the Raven Guard."

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

That black armour is loving gorgeous, holy poo poo :magical:

That mini has an Imgur album for the process I used, including the many, many mistakes I made along the way and how I managed to fix about half of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Stephenls posted:

Alternately-alternately:

"He's not Kayvan Shrike, he's... uh... Layvan Thryke, chapter master of my successor chapter. He just uses the rules for Kayvak Shrike, the same way my successor chapter uses the rules for the Raven Guard."

That's what most people do, yes, but you may come across a shitlord who will tell you that's not TECHNICALLY how the rules work, and he will be sadly correct.