Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:
can I attach it to my skeletons so my skeletons summon more skeletons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I really don't like the devotion system. How you spec into stuff to get points and then respec other points to keep moving around makes it really hard to grasp. I want to do a fire damage purifier with dual pistols but in not sure what devotions would be good. In guessing just go around the tree looking for anything + fire damage? Is the meteor devotion good?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
[quote="“queeb”" post="“477379599”"]
I really don’t like the devotion system. How you spec into stuff to get points and then respec other points to keep moving around makes it really hard to grasp. I want to do a fire damage purifier with dual pistols but in not sure what devotions would be good. In guessing just go around the tree looking for anything + fire damage? Is the meteor devotion good?
[/quote]

The various systems are quite overwhelming.

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008

queeb posted:

I really don't like the devotion system. How you spec into stuff to get points and then respec other points to keep moving around makes it really hard to grasp. I want to do a fire damage purifier with dual pistols but in not sure what devotions would be good. In guessing just go around the tree looking for anything + fire damage? Is the meteor devotion good?

It is complicated at first, but a good approach is to pick one of those outer tier, high-end constellations you want and work backwards from there.

For a fire build, Ulzuin's Torch (I think that's the one that has the meteor shower proc) is a great choice, and you can pick up good utility and damage constellations as you build towards it. Since you want to do a gunslinger build, you should try to get the Hydra constellation as well, iirc it will boost attack speed which you'll definitely want for this build.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

After playing around with lightening box and word of pain, I settled on the simplest, most boring shotgun Inquisitor build possible, nothing but the top row shooty procs. And it rules.

The new bridgey-devotions like quill and toad are great though, will have tempest and kraken in no time.

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 14, 2017

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

So I'm playing through the base game for my first time as a Demolitionist and I want to know how I should be spending my attribute points. So far I'm putting them into Physique and Cunning equally, is that about right.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Axetrain posted:

So I'm playing through the base game for my first time as a Demolitionist and I want to know how I should be spending my attribute points. So far I'm putting them into Physique and Cunning equally, is that about right.

For any class you generally want to put just enough into Cunning/Spirit to meet gear requirements and dump the rest into Physique, but splitting them evenly like that isn't the worst thing in the world.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

The blight fiend is also really good.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am running Inquistor/Demolistionist at the moment. How quickly do skill respect costs become prohibitive? Right now I use them to refund skills that I have put one or two points into and just do not like, or skills that I find myself not using much as I have used to. It is not like I expect myself to freely change builds.

EDIT: Oh god damnit I just got the thread title.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 15, 2017

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

watho posted:

So is the inquisitor flamethrower skill kinda poo poo or does it scale well? I’m still really early on and I’m not loving that skill. The rest is really sick though.

The good thing about Flames of Ignafarr is it has %weapon damage so you can do all sorts of cool weapon and skill combos with it. I'm currently going through the game as a Mage Hunter (Arc/Inq) as a dual pistol wielding char with FoI, Inquisitor Seal and the IEE skill line to see just how powerful I can buff the dots for FoI.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Cabalist is pretty face-melty so far. I like it a lot. Dropping Dreeg's into a room, followed by a Curse of Frailty to lower resists and a Ravenous Earth to start pumping out damage while my pets run around doling out poison is pretty amazing. Between that and a few other poison effects from my constellations and the Mark of Dreeg, feels really good and I'm walking through Veteran right now killing things faster than I see them. I like the Necro/Occult synergy a lot, particularly since I could pretty easily swap out and go with a Vitality build if I get bored with poison bomb.

If anyone has any tips on running acid/poison, let me know - this is my first time down this route.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

whats a good leveling skill for pyro? I'm going to go purifier but auto attacking doesnt work very well at low levels. Im taking fire strike/explosive strike up right now, plus blackwater cocktail but it doesnt do a ton of damage either.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Memnaelar posted:

Cabalist is pretty face-melty so far. I like it a lot. Dropping Dreeg's into a room, followed by a Curse of Frailty to lower resists and a Ravenous Earth to start pumping out damage while my pets run around doling out poison is pretty amazing. Between that and a few other poison effects from my constellations and the Mark of Dreeg, feels really good and I'm walking through Veteran right now killing things faster than I see them. I like the Necro/Occult synergy a lot, particularly since I could pretty easily swap out and go with a Vitality build if I get bored with poison bomb.

If anyone has any tips on running acid/poison, let me know - this is my first time down this route.

CoF is pretty good for linking to Eye of the Guardian. Really though, Poison's one of the most powerful attack types in the game, not much you'll have trouble with I don't think.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

queeb posted:

whats a good leveling skill for pyro? I'm going to go purifier but auto attacking doesnt work very well at low levels. Im taking fire strike/explosive strike up right now, plus blackwater cocktail but it doesnt do a ton of damage either.

I've found the easiest way to level is using one of the component skills and pumping most of your points into masteries.

It not only gets you access to the later abilities sooner, the amount of stats you get is a huge deal that can trivialize content.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Memnaelar posted:

If you have it unlocked, try putting tainted eruption from the abomination devotion on to infinite gaze from mark of dreeg. Eruption is an extremely potent poison aoe with a big radius. Both infinite gaze and tainted eruption have the same cooldown time, so it works out well. Tainted eruption is 39% activation, but it seems to be per projectile, so if you hit a group it usually activates. Follow it up with a DEE on anything that won't immediately die.

I am using the manticore acid spray attached to DEE, and the scorpion sting attached to shadow strike. You are a necro though, so attach it to something else if you have it. Scorpion sting is far worse than tainted eruption and acid spray though. You could leave it out if you need to.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 15, 2017

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I took my lovely Arcanist into the expac area and got slaughtered in literally the first hallway

Time for a new character I guess :v:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Is anyone playing a necromancer pet build and is it any good?
edit: Nevermind it was discussed at the end of the last page

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

deep dish peat moss posted:

Is anyone playing a necromancer pet build and is it any good?
edit: Nevermind it was discussed at the end of the last page

I'm doing maximum pets with Necro/Occultist. My only active abilities are Blood of Dreeg and Curse of Frailty with everything else pumped into pets. They absolutely wreck shop, though Skeletons are frustrating since the ranged ones have a ridiculously small aggro range. I bound pet attack to left click since my char is basically a buff bot for them, but keep that in mind if you prefer a more active style. Also the Blight Fiend is a monster and has fantastic one point wonder upgrades that give off some nasty debuffs.

On the plus side I have so far managed not to directly click on an enemy which is always my goal in these kinds of games.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

queeb posted:

Just put 1 point the the Inquisitor dual wield passive and then max out Fire Strike and all its transmuters. Focus on attack speed because you get a lot of flat damage from Firestrike. My damage was poo poo for most of normal difficulty because I was pumping up my mastery, but when I got to the witch town I recpecc'd all of my inquisitor mastery points and just maxed out fire strike and its transmuters, then vindictive flame, and then flashbang and it was so much better. Now that I am mowing everything down I am focusing on getting my inquisitor mastery back up to 40 so I can get full spread. If I were leveling this character from level 1 again I would probably do something like this:

Level 2: Pick inquis and put all points into Storm Box
Level 10: Respec all points out of Storm Box, put 1 point in Dual Wield Passive. Put 5 points into Demo and put 1 point into both Flame Touched and Flashbang, all remaining points into Fire Strike.
Level 11+ Max out Fire Strike, then Flame Touched, then Vindictive Flame, then all the Fire Strike transmuters. Throw 1 point into Searing Light and Blast Shield when you get to them. After that just put however many mastery points you want into Inquisitor and whatever other skills you want.

soscannonballs fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 15, 2017

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Stokes posted:

The good thing about Flames of Ignafarr is it has %weapon damage so you can do all sorts of cool weapon and skill combos with it. I'm currently going through the game as a Mage Hunter (Arc/Inq) as a dual pistol wielding char with FoI, Inquisitor Seal and the IEE skill line to see just how powerful I can buff the dots for FoI.

it'll probably be better when I have some better weapons then. It'll also probably be really good for proccing devotion skills.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

KPC_Mammon posted:

I've found the easiest way to level is using one of the component skills and pumping most of your points into masteries.

It not only gets you access to the later abilities sooner, the amount of stats you get is a huge deal that can trivialize content.

this is working obscenely well, flintcore bolts in my pistol, maxxed out pyro mastry at level 18, just spamming fireball everywhere and facetanking everything. I never knew the component skills could be so good. i need to look into components more, i've been ignoring them so far.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Is it me or is leveling scaled way up? I just started Act III on Veteran (and played half of Act I on Normal before getting bored) and I'm already Level 39. I think I completed the game the first time around 57 or 58, so this feels... faster. Much faster.

Did I miss something? I'm not even using a +xp ribbon and I know I was the last time I took a character to 70.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Zore posted:

I'm doing maximum pets with Necro/Occultist. My only active abilities are Blood of Dreeg and Curse of Frailty with everything else pumped into pets. They absolutely wreck shop, though Skeletons are frustrating since the ranged ones have a ridiculously small aggro range. I bound pet attack to left click since my char is basically a buff bot for them, but keep that in mind if you prefer a more active style. Also the Blight Fiend is a monster and has fantastic one point wonder upgrades that give off some nasty debuffs.

On the plus side I have so far managed not to directly click on an enemy which is always my goal in these kinds of games.

Pets work ok, but my biggest problem with them is to get maximum efficiency later in the game you need to use a lot of the devotion tree abilities that have to be linked to active attacks. My 67 summoner has way too much to cast for what was supposed to be a lazy pokemon build... I have to use 3 caster spells to proc Shepherd's Call, Howl of Mogdrogan, and Bysmiel's Command. On top of that I have to recast skeletons fairly often, the shaman pet every 20 seconds or so, and then the necro pet attack.

I just want to let my pets kill things man...

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

TacMan posted:

can I attach it to my skeletons so my skeletons summon more skeletons?

Yes. :)

Crazy poo poo like this is one of the reasons why I like this game. I think overall PoE is better (it depends on personal preference and what you're looking for in a game), but this game definitely has some strengths. I think the devotion system / proc mechanics is one of them.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Based on my research and observations in-game, I believe the following is correct. It's pretty important to building a character, so I included it in the OP. If I'm wrong, please speak up and correct me.

quote:

What's the benefits to dual-wielding?
Attacking with both weapons has a 50% chance of being used when a proc does not activate. The way it works is first it will check if the proc activates. If no proc, then another roll is made with a 25% chance to attack with the main hand weapon, or 25% chance to attack with the off-hand weapon, and a 50% chance to attack with both weapons. e.g. If you have a combined 80% chance to proc different Weapon Pool Skills (WPS, any class skill that procs from default attacks), you have essentially a 10% chance to attack with both weapons.

What's the deal with Attack Damage Converted to Health aka Life Leech?
If a skill specifically lists part of its damage is converted, then that skill benefits entirely from that %. That usually only applies to Vitality Damage "spells." Importantly, health gained this way isn't reduced/resisted when damage from the skill is dealt to bosses (purple colored named monsters).
If you gain Attack Damage Converted to Health from another source (such as gear, potions, devotions, etc) that isn't in the skill description, that only applies to weapon damage dealt. e.g. If a skill does 25% weapon damage and you have 10% Attack Damage Converted to Health from a collection of sources, then that 10% only applies to the 25% weapon damage and not the other damage the skill would do. Importantly, many bosses have significant life leech resistance from weapon damage. In other words, life leech from spells (or any skill with the life leech baked into the skill description) works against bosses but life leech from attacks/weapons does not.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

So I'm digging the expansion but I've never managed to play through more of GD than just Normal because it's really long. I know I'm not going to play through it 3 times but I want to experience it on Ultimate (I remember in Titan Quest like half the content was just straight up missing until the highest difficulty).

Is it feasible to just level to 70 in Crucible and then use a save editor to unlock Ultimate? I know I'd need to add devotion points from the first two difficulties and probably manually go do the quests that add bags on Normal, and probably edit in faction reps - but it should work, right?

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Could someone post a cool as gently caress Tactician build? I want to be a sword/board bro that’s unkillable while dropping sigils on the ground.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Memnaelar posted:

Is it me or is leveling scaled way up? I just started Act III on Veteran (and played half of Act I on Normal before getting bored) and I'm already Level 39. I think I completed the game the first time around 57 or 58, so this feels... faster. Much faster.

Did I miss something? I'm not even using a +xp ribbon and I know I was the last time I took a character to 70.

I cleared the base game on my occultist/necro at something like 46 which feels pretty normal, but I was beelining shrines/quests rather than fully clearing stuff.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I have no idea how it holds up in the long term but Bone Harvest looks incredible.

docbeard fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 15, 2017

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Necromancer/occultist have such a good synergy. Can do a pet build, poison caster, vitality caster. It's super fun.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

So I'm digging the expansion but I've never managed to play through more of GD than just Normal because it's really long. I know I'm not going to play through it 3 times but I want to experience it on Ultimate (I remember in Titan Quest like half the content was just straight up missing until the highest difficulty).

Is it feasible to just level to 70 in Crucible and then use a save editor to unlock Ultimate? I know I'd need to add devotion points from the first two difficulties and probably manually go do the quests that add bags on Normal, and probably edit in faction reps - but it should work, right?

I think many people, including myself to a certain extent, are in the same boat as you. Playing through the game twice before you get to experience the good stuff can be a pretty daunting task. I'll whip something up.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

I haven't played through the expansion yet, and I can't find an answer online. Are there any quests in the expansion that give a skill point or attribute point as a reward?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Grim Dawn has hit 20k concurrent players.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

Dahbadu posted:

I haven't played through the expansion yet, and I can't find an answer online. Are there any quests in the expansion that give a skill point or attribute point as a reward?

Nope, no extra points, just a few quests that hand out a couple of potions that let you respec your attributes or give you a full reset of your devotion points without having to spend aether crystals.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i know the level cap is increased, but do they add more shared slots, and do they add more devotion points? 'cause, like, if i could get ten more... :allears:

e: ten more devotion points and shared storage pages :unsmigghh:

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008
Not quite, you only get 5 extra devo points to play with and one extra shared storage tab.

On the plus side the shared tabs are about double the size now, and each character can buy multiple personal storage tabs, so if you're an obsessive hoarder who needs to have giant piles of every augment in the game, go nuts/

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

What is included in elemental damage, that includes fire damage from demo skills right?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

On +%elemental damage bonuses it applies the full amount to all 3 elements, if an item/skill deals "elemental damage" it deals the listed damage split evenly between all 3 elements

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Elemental is fire/ice/lightning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

OK guys, I hope this works. Let me introduce...

Grim Goon & Grim Goonette

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BybuaGc1iPrpdnU4ZlZKRlJRMFE/view?usp=sharing

You should be able to download the .zip file (see the download link at the top-right of the web page).

Read the instructions in the .zip to "import" these characters into your roster.

It should give you a fresh new level 85 character, near the very start of the campaign. You have 88 attribute points and 221 skill points, which factors in the 4 attribute/skill points you would get from your first two playthroughs. By playing through all of Ultimate and doing the "secret" questlines, you should be able to obtain an additional 2 attribute/skill points.

Because GD Trained Hard isn't working right now, I was limited to what I could change. If you don't like names 'Grim Goon' and 'Grim Goonette', you can use GD Deflier to rename them. Here's a link to GD Defiler: http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9343

Tell me if there's any problems or if you have any questions.