Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Diogines posted:

I've noticed that turns take a lot longer in Warhammer 2 versus Warhammer 1. Is this because they were more calculations actually going on in the turns, or simply because the whole game is more demanding on your system graphically? I've never noticed any slowdowns in the slightest in battles even on the highest settings.

Is there any way to tweak the graphics settings just for the campaign map? Most of the options seem to apply to both. Any particular settings that you would suggest changing? The water certainly looks pretty, but even though the lowest setting on to imagine that is a significant amount of the total resources being used. Any way to make it static?

I would be happy to significantly degrade the campaign graphics if I can speed up the turns. Isn't it on the same engine as Warhammer one? The turns seem to take way, way, way longer.

On an unrelated note, has anyone tried the faction unlocker on the human factions? Are enough of their units in the game to make it worthwhile?

I have the exact opposite experience, however my old computer was quite the potato whereas my new computer has an I7 7700, a 1070, a giant SSD and 32 gigs of RAM. So I'm pretty sure I know why part 2 seems to run so much better for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Two’s load times are way shorter for me and I don’t even have an SSD.

Turn times kinda chug though, albeit still better than Rome/Atilla. Definitely set the camera to only show enemy armies at fastest, and get the faster camera panning mod.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah the load times are much better, with the same machine, but turn times are much, much worse. And you can't even alt-tab for the five minutes it takes because you're going to get spammed with the same 20 alliance requests.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Intervention armies shouldn't exist. All they do is encourage turtling up, since you don't need to go out and disrupt rituals, and have to be ready for first turn attacking full stacks spawning into your territory.

Bad game design.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

sassassin posted:

Intervention armies shouldn't exist. All they do is encourage turtling up, since you don't need to go out and disrupt rituals, and have to be ready for first turn attacking full stacks spawning into your territory.

Bad game design.

Not really. Intervention armies tend not to be strong enough to actully disrupt rituals on their own. It's better if you have a stack yourself that can support them.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MonsterEnvy posted:

Not really. Intervention armies tend not to be strong enough to actully disrupt rituals on their own. It's better if you have a stack yourself that can support them.

"A stack" of your own instead of marshalling the full weight of your military might on a campaign across oceans to secure the future of your homeland and the world (in that order).

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

toasterwarrior posted:

And IMO, on VH, playing tall is pretty much a necessity because lol you're not defending all your poo poo with the massive upkeep increase per new army

I did a world conquest on VH so you are wrong :colbert:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

sassassin posted:

"A stack" of your own instead of marshalling the full weight of your military might on a campaign across oceans to secure the future of your homeland and the world (in that order).

Well yeah. I would keep at least my Main stack at home just in case someone decides to attack.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
I like the concept of intervention armies. The AI has always been terrible at moving forces long distance and the idea of paying a bunch of locals to stir up poo poo for you is as old as time. The fact that they always spawned a step from your capitol is obnoxious. The fact that you can't control your own intervention kinda stinks.

It sucks in this game so it will either be fixed or removed in the next. Such is the CA cycle.

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 16, 2017

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I like the intervention armies purely for the fact that they give you some really interesting fights against unique army comps that you may not otherwise see.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

deathbagel posted:

I have the exact opposite experience, however my old computer was quite the potato whereas my new computer has an I7 7700, a 1070, a giant SSD and 32 gigs of RAM. So I'm pretty sure I know why part 2 seems to run so much better for me.

My turn times are super long in II compared to the first game, but I just chalked that up to playing High Elves since they can basically see the entire world due to tech and trade partners, so you're seeing what every single faction is doing every turn.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I'm not really noticing much difference in turn times.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

sassassin posted:

Do you think real world militaries empty out their home state of any armed forces when there is a war on? There's no point sending your whole army on a mission against 1/3 enemies while you also need your home territory secure for your own victory.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

New Butt Order posted:

I like the concept of intervention armies. The AI has always been terrible at moving forces long distance and the idea of paying a bunch of locals to stir up poo poo for you is as old as time. The fact that they always spawned a step from your capitol is obnoxious. The fact that you can't control your own intervention kinda stinks.

It sucks in this game so it will either be fixed or removed in the next. Such is the CA cycle.

If I had full intervention control I'd ignore the major cities and just go raiding everything that was poorly defended and cause huge economic damage.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
The Southlands is just so disappointing, christ.

In my Tyrion campaign I got this huge fight against the upper part of the Southlands ( which was great ), then invaded Naggaroth. Lots of good fights.

In my Teclis campaign I got into this massive loving brawl for Lustria that I just couldn't make headway in with my limited resources. So I focused on the ritual and that was fun.

In my Malekith game I conquered all of Naggaroth, then went east and finally conquered Ulthuan. Was fun if a bit long, felt like I should have just gone to Ulthuan earlier and let Naggaroth do it's own thing.

In my Skrolk game I conquered all of Lustria with my dickass rats and had a grand old time before sailing off to Ulthuan to kill more Elves. I really like murdering Elves in Ulthuan.

Now I'm on my Queek game and ugh. I finally broke through Kroqgar after a whole big fight and suddenly the region has just collapsed as an entity to stand against me. I cleaned out the various Elf and Dwarf groups effortlessly and none of them ever really expanded. Went north and casually just took all of that as well, but again, big boring fights I didn't really want. It's not really all that exciting fighting VC chaff for 50-100 turns. So I stopped conquering Southlands to go back up Skrolk in Lustria which just felt like a repeat of my last ratgame.

So I decided to Kroqgar it up. He looks awesome, great stats, Lizards look cool, great bonuses. Casually beat Queek in the first 15 turns, then get the same Southlands rumble. Easily pick apart all the lovely 1-2 city factions jerking off on the map doing nothing before deciding to sail off to Lustria for yet another Lustria murderbrawl fight.

It's just so....banal? Here fight Wood Elves that will never be as threatening as the Wood Elves you knew. Here fight lovely Orcs that can't do poo poo to you, remember in the previous entry when they owned the Badlands? Here fight some VC for a billion turns, they'll just use zombies every fight for some reason. Here's some Dwarfs, they are still absolute fuckers and you won't enjoy fighting them.

Like it's the best example of "we made this in an afternoon, it's not important." ever. None of these groups will exist in ME, none of this will be here. I'm fighting old world races with new world races sure, but not in the old world, and these guys are chumps that go down in 1-2 fights tops. It's not even the loss of the Tomb Kings/Araby that make this awful, it's the absence of everything resembling a proper battlefield. There is absolutely no push and pull going on in this map.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Pendent posted:

I like the intervention armies purely for the fact that they give you some really interesting fights against unique army comps that you may not otherwise see.

Yeah, the intervention armies generally tends to have higher quality stacks than the AI ever manages to scrape together which is nice. Wish they would tighten up the composition on them a bit though so you don't end up fighting armies with just 1 infantry unit.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
Here is a question for Warhammer lore buffs: how divergent are high elves, dark elves, and wood elves physically / evolutionarily? By that I mean, there are obvious cultural differences, but the physical differences between high and dark elves could be explained kind of like how the force warps people in Star Wars, or even how chaos warps humans in Warhammer. It could just be a magic thing...and although from what I understand wood elves evolved in a bubble of isolation...if you mixed some in a lineup with some high elves in generic clothing, I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference. The only way I can tell is because wood elves wear loin cloths and high elves wear goofy hats.

So is the difference mostly cultural, or are they actually different species?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Arsonide posted:

Here is a question for Warhammer lore buffs: how divergent are high elves, dark elves, and wood elves physically / evolutionarily? By that I mean, there are obvious cultural differences, but the physical differences between high and dark elves could be explained kind of like how the force warps people in Star Wars, or even how chaos warps humans in Warhammer. It could just be a magic thing...and although from what I understand wood elves evolved in a bubble of isolation...if you mixed some in a lineup with some high elves in generic clothing, I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference. The only way I can tell is because wood elves wear loin cloths and high elves wear goofy hats.

It's cultural, except that some of the Wood Elves might be a little warped by the Hell Forest.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

JBP posted:

Do you think real world militaries empty out their home state of any armed forces when there is a war on? There's no point sending your whole army on a mission against 1/3 enemies while you also need your home territory secure for your own victory.

I think real world militaries have to actually make an investment into foreign wars, rather than sending one regiment while the other 4 or 5 chill at home in case enemies spawn out of the ether.

Intervention armies working the other way - letting you buy armies to protect your cities for a few turns during rituals - would be more fun. More emphasis on going out and bashing heads than a conservative turtle management sim.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Arsonide posted:

Some of the elves were alive before the splits occurred so there's no biological divergence, no.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Arsonide posted:

Dark Elves routinely gently caress with other people/High Elves by putting on the pointy High Elf hats and pretending to be High Elves.

As already mentioned, Wood Elves might be slightly different due to hell forest. Also they tend to be unshaven hippies who probably smell bad.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Wonder what the Ogre mechanic will be since they used "food" for the Skaven.

Can't think of an overarching one, but I like the idea of Ogre maneaters being heroes whose traits are explained as a function of who they're trying to emulate. Throw in a rare Slann maneater and give them ruination of cities.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Eh as all dark elves are from Nagarythe they do tend to have dark hair while high elves from the rest of Ulthuan tend towards fair hair. But other than that there isn't a divergence or anything.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Rookersh posted:

Dark Elves routinely gently caress with other people/High Elves by putting on the pointy High Elf hats and pretending to be High Elves.

As already mentioned, Wood Elves might be slightly different due to hell forest. Also they tend to be unshaven hippies who probably smell bad.

Hippies is

Not a word I would ever really use to describe Warhammer Wood Elves, under any circumstances.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Aurubin posted:

Wonder what the Ogre mechanic will be since they used "food" for the Skaven.

Can't think of an overarching one, but I like the idea of Ogre maneaters being heroes whose traits are explained as a function of who they're trying to emulate. Throw in a rare Slann maneater and give them ruination of cities.

When your food level is high, all ogre units receive a debuff to speed, but a buff to charge bonus and HP.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

sassassin posted:

I think real world militaries have to actually make an investment into foreign wars, rather than sending one regiment while the other 4 or 5 chill at home in case enemies spawn out of the ether.

Intervention armies working the other way - letting you buy armies to protect your cities for a few turns during rituals - would be more fun. More emphasis on going out and bashing heads than a conservative turtle management sim.

I've gone conquering before, it's not that it isn't an option. It's more that the vortex mechanic like it or hate it means that the "story" of your faction's campaign is going to be one of shoring up your local access to ritual materials. I also end up fighting multiple enemies at once so sending a stack across the map by sea is a big investment until you are at the tail end of the game.

I guess the good thing is that ME is promoting conquest and stuff so hopefully that will hand over the goods for you. I like the vortex campaign, but I know once I finish my current DE game that I am going to do a HE campaign and basically ignore everything that isn't obliterating the dark elves forever.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Mightypeon posted:

-Lizards not caring that much for distinctions between various Elfen races (although I distinctly remember some fluff that implied that they are more OK with woodelfs, as those are supposed to be kind of working like intended), so High Elfs get some flak for stuff Dark Elfs did.

The Lizardmen are chill with the wood elves because the wood elves don't start poo poo. They just chill in their forest and while they'll probably have to be dealt with eventually, that's at least a few millennia away. As far as the Slann are concerned the wood elves are the only ones that reliably won't gently caress things up

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
After a long Kroq-Gar campaign I'm glad I went with skrolk for my skaven play-through. My current battle tactic is to bog people down in rats and hammer them with magic. One pestilent breath spell will absolutely melt skinks

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I found Skrolk more enjoyable than Queek because of the magic. Queek gets cool later but you really are just trying to build so many chaff rat stacks early that the battles aren't very interesting.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I need to thank whomever recommended the 4 Plague Claws, 4 Warp Lightning Cannon, Warlock Engineer + tarpit. Humiliating Kroq-Gar has never been easier, and even though his Saurus army will still reach your battle lines they are in such a bad way they'll break before your rats do. It's expensive to maintain, lazy in it's conception but the carnage.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

I did a world conquest on VH so you are wrong :colbert:

Hahaha, yeah, this was also an alternative solution. I'm wondering if getting Domination is faster/easier to get than the Ritual victory at this point.

That's also a weird thing about the Ritual mechanics: more territory does give you more ritual resources in the form of 1 per settlement. Except of course, more territory makes the rituals a lot harder to complete. Maybe allies should give you resources too, like Wood Elves and amber.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I didn't really have too many food problems in my Queek campaign. And I didn't do too much raiding, either. There was only really one point there was sort of an issue, and even then, I had several provinces that I wasn't using the food policy on. I don't know how people get themselves into the situation where they feel like they have no option other than starvation. You do have a rougher start in the Mors campaign due to your best source of early food being located past Kroq Gar's poo poo land (the advice to recruit some plague Grey Seers is a very, very good one, since both Wither and Plague do a serious number on them), but after that, you're pretty free to be a bit more lackadaisical about expansion.

Some pointers, tho.
Constant sources of food are:
5 for Pestilens/Mors HQ
4/5/6 for pastures
1/1/2/2/3 for Athel Loren settlements

Less constant sources of food:
2 for province commandment
3 for raiding

- If you go wide, you're going to be using that commandment for most of your provinces. And that means you will need to take the full provinces. With that in mind, you can think of 2 settlement provinces as freebies, 3 as costing one food, 4 as costing two, etc. The size four provinces are the ones that give you a raw deal, so you probably just want to take the province capital and sack/raze the rest, unless the settlements have got something nice (Khemri being a big standout in the Southlands). By using the commandment and being a tad selective about when to take over provinces, you can stretch those constant sources a lot further than you otherwise would.
- Once your net food profit falls to around +2/+3, its time to look for pastures to take. Raiding and enslavement can stretch that, but its better to avoid that issue.
- Single settlement provinces are a +1 to your food, so look out for them. The Wood Elf city in the southlands is one, which is just a bonus on top of its ability to give you +3 food when fully upgraded. Sartosa is another such place. The final, and maybe most interesting source is the high elf gates, which have the bonus of giving you piss income anyways and having a permanent zero PO, so using the commandment is a no brainier for them.
- Those gates are also, happily, in the same area as two of the three pastures in Ulthuan. And they are also next to the only not-island territories in elfland, which is a 3 size wasteland province which skaven can happily live in. All in all, taking over the wastelands, the two pastures, and the four gates will earn you a profit of 13 food.
- Confederating the other major skaven clan is going to be probably worth it just for the 5 food from their HQ. Skrolk starts pretty close to two pastures, as well.
- Raiding can be useful to fuel your food economy, but if you're raiding just to keep a balance, its time to find new pastures. You're spending a lot of cash for a net gain of 2 food, which probably is not worth it.

On using food
- Your maximum food stockpile size grows as you expand, but the cost to your food related actions remains flat. This means you can be a lot more profligate about your food usage.
- The leadership bonus for max food is a nice flat 10, and applies only in your territory. This means your home territory garrisons can have a larger bulk of slaves since they'll have a bit more of a spine to better tarpit, reducing cost.
- On the flip side, the growth bonus for having full larders means you don't need to use it for settlement expansion as much. Even in an uninhabitable place, you can probably just fully upgrade one place and the growth bonus from the settlement and the food will result in you just being able to repeatedly upgrade your settlements. That takes time and costs money, but ehhhh.
- You really only need to stay around a neutral balance. Battles are the fastest way to fill your stores. This also makes distant colonial adventures to control pastures more profitable than they first appear: Have your colonial army built around ambushing whatever dork the AI sends in march stance into your territory, and you'll get more food than just having an army sitting in some podunk province raiding would get you.

Other Mors stuff
- After killing Kroq, its seriously worth it to destroy the island elves to the southwest. And despite the islands being uninhabitable, its actually probably worth taking them over, and using some food stockpiles to get the capital to at least level 3. Even with the Uninhabitable malus, those elven colonies pull in a respectable income.
- Get some hero to sail to Dark Elf land to get some goddamn trading partners.
- The initial malus to grey seer loyalty is fairly inconsequential. Even early on when you can't just buy early loyalty with a horde of banners and magical junk, you'll get events for low loyalty lords for them to gain loyalty in exchange for cash, or attrition damage. Its worth it: grey seer magic is a drat fine thing for dealing with dinosaur jerkwads.

e: i was reading old posts and uh, im going to edit this thing nobody will read to admit raiding is actually The Smart Strategy, except you raid yourself and kill rebels. most the rest of the advice still stands but with everything noted about raiding, please add a (Except in the case of self-raiding, which is the smart and correct way to get a lot of food in a short time).

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 25, 2018

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here
So some redditor datamined a sea colour map from in game files and tried to fit the datamined province list onto it for the combined map.

Might be bullshit but probably in the vicinity of what the map will look like.

Foulbrood
May 17, 2004

This is it, Jonesy!

Third World Reggin posted:

I am excited for the ogre food mechanic in the future
Following a victory in battle, their options will be:

1) Broil the captives
2) Grill the captives
3) Saute the captives

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
The only Dark Elf who can't pass for a High Elf by wearing a dildo hat is Malekith and even he could pretend to be a Caledorian noble who got drunk and fell off his dragon mid-breath or something.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Might be bullshit but probably in the vicinity of what the map will look like.

Trump's really going hard on Ulthuan right there.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
So I had an issue with pretty much all previous Total War games leading up to Warhammer 2, but this one I seriously want to play, so I'd like to hear how you guys deal with it.

Basically, it's about the first charge of every battle. In Total War games, I don't often have the enemy charge at me. They will find the most strategic location in their deployment zone, and arrange themselves in an optimal manner versus my current troops and formation. Then they sit and wait for me to attack. I attempt to not make death ball attacks, I try to move up counters and be all strategic and poo poo. I can move my archers up front, put them in back, move my cavalry around the side, and without charging, actually see the AI shuffle their formation instantly to react. They don't move or charge, they just pre-emptively shuffle their formation to defend against whatever I've done, instantly.

I just had a group of Skaven take up residence at the top of a hill, and I used the trees to creep up as far as I could, but I realized they were in another optimal turtle formation, and every shift I made, they made in kind...just like the old Total War games. If you move up your archers, they move back, if you move in cavalry, they protect their flanks, etc. I even attempted to distract them from the main force by moving some monstrous infantry behind them, but they didn't take the bait. It's like there's no weakness I can exploit in my attack, they react instantly, and that makes things a bit less fun on my end, because ultimately my attack has to be pretty death bally, because whatever the attackers meet will be their optimal counter, so they need numbers.

So my question is, how do you guys crack these nuts in your alpha attacks in a calculated manner?

Arsonide fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Oct 16, 2017

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Arsonide posted:

So I had an issue with pretty much all previous Total War games leading up to Warhammer 2, but this one I seriously want to play, so I'd like to hear how you guys deal with it.

Basically, it's about the first charge of every battle. In Total War games, I don't often have the enemy charge at me. They will find the most strategic location in their deployment zone, and arrange themselves in an optimal manner versus my current troops and formation. I attempt to not make death ball attacks, I try to move up counters and be all strategic and poo poo. I can move my archers up front, put them in back, move my cavalry around the side, and without charging, actually see the AI shuffle their formation instantly to react. They don't move or charge, they just shuffle their formation to defend against whatever I've done, instantly.

I just had a group of Skaven take up residence at the top of a hill, and I used the trees to creep up as far as I could, but I realized they were in another optimal turtle formation, and every shift I made, they made in kind...just like the old Total War games. If you move up your archers, they move back, if you move in cavalry, they protect their flanks, etc. I even attempted to distract them from the main force by moving some monstrous infantry behind them, but they didn't take the bait. It's like there's no weakness I can exploit in my attack, they react instantly, and that makes things a bit less fun on my end, because ultimately my attack has to be pretty death bally, because whatever the attackers meet will be their optimal counter, so they need numbers.

So my question is, how do you guys crack these nuts in your alpha attacks in a calculated manner?

Artillery. Nothing troubles an AI formation like the potential to be slaughtered en masse by brutal ranged firepower beyond archer reach.

And unique to Warhammer: magic. Generally dropping a spell or two will cause the AI to start marching forward, even without artillery on your side.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Strong ranged will force the enemy to march to you regardless if your the one who attacked or not, aside from that just control group your formations and lock the formation so it's easier to move up and attacking with the full group will send every unit in a mostly different direction which you can adjust as they charge in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Other than artillery, this is kinda the entire point of tarpits. The opponent will reshuffle their units to find good matchups if they can, but not if they are already engaged in melee. Lock their troops in combat with your trash melee units, and then do the flank.

The other possibility is hiding your units, either using terrain or using units with stalk. Or just straight up summoning units.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Oct 16, 2017