Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Lou Reads returns with a visit to Is It Normal, as if you needed any more reasons to say the answer is no.

EDIT: This is not the F Plus thread, goddamnit.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Now just rephrase this slightly but continually and repeat it for 3 hours and you'll get the experience of that season of BFSC

Garry Butterfield and Kole Ross would make for good IDEOATV guests. And they are published authors thanks to Souls of Darkness so they could even fit the theme.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Guy Mann posted:

Garry Butterfield and Kole Ross would make for good IDEOATV guests. And they are published authors thanks to Souls of Darkness so they could even fit the theme.

Sure, though with all the games they play I don't know if they'd have time to read a lovely book for a guest spot

Unless it was another Worlds of Power thing

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

There are so many bad video game novelizations you could get them to read. They already do a premium show that's specifically about video game adaptations too.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I relistened to the Diablo loving Cody episode yesterday and it was just as amazing as I remembered.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Both Lemon episodes are solid gold. How much do I have to dump into the Patreon to make him a regular host?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Strap in, the newest episode is about the infuriatingly banal Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
My junior English teacher made us read Johnathan Livingston Seagull, multiple times. Like, he'd set aside a few days each semester for us to just read it at our desks. I was a fast reader and the book is like 80 pages long, so I asked him what I should do when I finished it before the end of the first class. "Read it again! You get something new out of it every time!" That was a rough few days.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
What a perfect episode.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Both Lemon episodes are solid gold. How much do I have to dump into the Patreon to make him a regular host?

He's really funny, and his music knowledge is at the same level as Clsn and J, so he just has amazing chemistry with them.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

New episode about Robert Asprin's Myth Conceptions.

This is my favorite episode in ages. I've never listened to Wolf Parade, but Dan Boeckner was super endearing and meshed really well with Jay and Chris.

EDIT: Holy poo poo and apparently if you DM him and tell him you're an IDEOTV fan, he will put you on the guest list for their upcoming tour.

Lumbermouth fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 16, 2017

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I've read a pretty big chunk of the Myth Adventures series. I'm not sure whether they start out OK and then gradually incline towards shittiness, or whether they were always pretty bad but the repetitiveness got to me, but somewhere around book fifteen (they're really short, you can read like two or three in one lazy afternoon) I realized that I had stopped enjoying them like five or ten books ago and was only continuing because of inertia. I was like fourteen or so when I read them, so I'd like to think I wouldn't make that mistake again. Still, I remember enjoying the first few books, and since Myth Conceptions is the second, I probably liked it. So I can't blame Dan for liking it.

What they couldn't cover in this episode is that every book in the series is basically the same. Nothing interesting happens, there's no character growth, all there is to keep you reading is puns.

(Also, Phil Foglio owns, ok??? edit: I feel kind of gross writing that, actually)

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
I read a bunch of these too, as well as the first two of the Phule series, looking back they're pretty juvenile, but I can't remember much else. Aspirin had some problem which caused him to stop writing for awhile right after a major character death and I never picked it up again after that.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

What a perfect episode.

The entire episode I felt like something was missing, and then when it closed with this, I knew they had captured perfection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPTXVqETBM4

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
That guitar by itself is better than anything J has ever done in his life. Including Chris Collision.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
New episode out about Slugs. It’s pretty gross but fun, and Clsn says “murder-death-kill” multiple times.

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
Slugs!

In which J and Chris are super excited about gore in the same vein as rats and crabs have provided.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I like this podcast a lot more when it involves no white people trying to rap
Still dope though

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I will say the Eminem impression was spot on though lol

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
I think I missed something but what's the meaning of the running joke "Carolina's Finest"?

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012
The newest episode takes us back to the magical time that was the 1980s, with "The Boz: Confessions of a Modern Anti-Hero. Internet sports writer David J. Roth guest hosts, as does special surprise guest audio balance issues.

Fossilized Rappy fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 18, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fossilized Rappy posted:

The newest episode takes us back to the magical time that was the 1980s, with "The Boz: Confessions of a Modern Anti-Hero. Internet sports writer David J. Roth guest hosts, as does special surprise guest audio balance issues.

I'm a big football fan and I've seen Stone Cold so this is a drat great episode for me.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I had no idea who the Boz was; it was good episode and it was good to hear everyone having fun

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012
The latest episode is on Love Monkey by Kyle Smith. It's described as "this touching story of blue balls and 9/11" by special guest Maura Johnston, so you know it's a quality read.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Love Monkey might secretly be the worst book they've ever read.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The sex scene they read was one of the worst things I've ever heard.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
New episode is just a re-run of Necroscope, the first episode to feature Collision (although not the first episode to feature him as a co-host). They should have gone with a re-run of Ready Player One to “honor” the new trailer and poster dropping.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Fossilized Rappy posted:

The latest episode is on Love Monkey by Kyle Smith. It's described as "this touching story of blue balls and 9/11" by special guest Maura Johnston, so you know it's a quality read.

I, likeyknow, can't.... You know, like... Listen, like, to, y'know.... Her, um... Like speaking.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I remember her being a lot better in the Valley of the Dolls episode, which was better in general anyway. This is one of those times when they don't actually seem to be having fun at all (preening about music doesn't count), especially compared to the hot streak leading up to it. :sigh:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The book seems kinda boring aside from being lovely and gross, so that's probably why

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
They really need books that are fun to mock. Jay and Mike Sacco are having the times of their lives mocking Ready Player One and it’s one of the best episodes, but the Armada episode is so much worse because Jay and Clsn just sound defeated.

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
Are the Patreon only episodes any better? As in, are they having fun with reviewing those bad books?

Also, if they haven't already, they should do Logan's Run. It's proto-cyberpunk, short and hilariously bad. To me anyways.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

X-Ray Pecs posted:

They really need books that are fun to mock. Jay and Mike Sacco are having the times of their lives mocking Ready Player One and it’s one of the best episodes, but the Armada episode is so much worse because Jay and Clsn just sound defeated.

This is why those lovely british horror paperbacks they find are goddamn goldmines

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

SirSlarty posted:

Are the Patreon only episodes any better? As in, are they having fun with reviewing those bad books?

Here's the secret: very rarely are the Patreon eps even written material. Although pretty much anytime a magazine comes out it's amazing.

"So this is the point where I have to confess I told Jay to read Heavy Metal and I didn't realize until we bought the copies I was thinking of High Times." "...WHAT."

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
What happened to the Rush podcast?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Drunkboxer posted:

Nothing since Grace Under Pressure in August

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Drunkboxer posted:

Jay has said he's been going through a lot of personal poo poo and has shelved the Rush stuff till things calm down.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Rachel Millman and trashy romance novels are back because this week is Jackie Collins' Hollywood Wives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
So glad to hear the original, superior plot in sixty seconds song.