Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VR_b9YwqH8

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
After 126 hours playing this game I finally launched my first rocket with a satellite on board. I cannot imagine the degree of autism needed to build something like that in the game... my god.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Now speed up your rocket production.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Psychotic Weasel posted:

After 126 hours playing this game I finally launched my first rocket with a satellite on board. I cannot imagine the degree of autism needed to build something like that in the game... my god.

Now go for the achievement that launches rocket in less than 8 hours.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
TBH I found the 8 hour thing pretty trivial when you sit down to do it for real. You just play the game at a normal place then when you do a milestone like a new science pack you blueprint the completed section then just reload to your previous save and plop down the template. Fiddling about with belts and placement is where all the time goes. Also you set your biters to very low, starting space to very large, patches to very rich, and just keep reloading until you have coal next to iron to speed up the first 15-20m of the game. You don't need more than say 5-6 oil patches, your starting ore patches, and one belt each of iron/copper.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 21, 2017

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

I saw that on the main site, the devs will no doubt grab it and use it to measure their optimisations in 0.16.

Mokhu
Mar 3, 2004

NCAA Hopesman Winner 2008
Fallen Rib
So is there an ongoing goon multiplayer map?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I dunno, don't think so. I would be down for participating if someone sets something up.

Fun thing: I recorded a casual LP of Factorio, mostly because I ran out of Factorio videos to watch. I just got finished with one that featured a design by Lars. A 24 furnace smelting column that reserved space for electric furnace upgrades.

How do you guys think about future proofing? For me, when it comes to smelting the paradigm shift from steel furnace to electric furnace is too massive. The space being the obvious wall, but also the lack of a fuel line. Upgrading it in place involves clearing out the lines and extending the column to use the newly reclaimed half belt for ore.

I got this from the google doc that got tossed around 100 pages ago. Link Here

I should probably link the channel as well... BLACK HOLE SPACE WIZARD

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

KirbyKhan posted:

I dunno, don't think so. I would be down for participating if someone sets something up.

Fun thing: I recorded a casual LP of Factorio, mostly because I ran out of Factorio videos to watch. I just got finished with one that featured a design by Lars. A 24 furnace smelting column that reserved space for electric furnace upgrades.

How do you guys think about future proofing? For me, when it comes to smelting the paradigm shift from steel furnace to electric furnace is too massive. The space being the obvious wall, but also the lack of a fuel line. Upgrading it in place involves clearing out the lines and extending the column to use the newly reclaimed half belt for ore.

I'm new to factorio (only beat the game once so far), but I used the future-proof furnace array and it isn't too hard to refit it. You control everything above the splitters, so when you no longer need coal you just adjust belts until both sides are filled with ore. For me it was just deleting the coal feed line and the belt went from a T junction to just a 90 degree bend. I had several furnace arrays near ore patches and it was quick to upgrade them without disrupting production at all.

That said I'm nowhere near a master and someone with more experience might think it's too fiddly to deal with.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I just slap down all-new smelting areas when it gets to that point. By the time electric smelters come up, I'm typically starting to mine at distant outposts and shuttle stuff around via rail, so slapping down a new smelting outpost is no big deal. Don't forget to leave plenty of room for beacons, too. As for my initial smelting areas, those don't get upgraded beyond steel furnaces, and get torn down as soon as my initial ore patches run out. Everything I build at the start of a game is temporary; I build long-term stuff off to the side and reroute my belts to it when it's done.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I generally don't future proof my first base. I let it turn into a spaghetti hell-hole until I've unlocked the tech tree, then I build a clean mega-base elsewhere. At some point I'll usually put in electric furnances in the boot strap base but it's not a huge priority.

You can see where the ghost of my former boot-strap factory lives because its chaotic rail network will be boxed in by clean, straight rail highways for the new base.

At this point my current base has launched about 300 rockets and I spend most of my time planning for new mines. After playing only Factorio for a year straight, I finally bought a different game this weekend with the intention of moving on. And yet... nothing is the same

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

KirbyKhan posted:

That 24 furnace thingie is mine. It's not optimized or anything, you can double the amount of furnaces once you get steel furnaces and red belts. But it's a start, which is why I added it... Glad to hear someone is using it, thanks :)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Dunno-Lars posted:

That 24 furnace thingie is mine. It's not optimized or anything, you can double the amount of furnaces once you get steel furnaces and red belts. But it's a start, which is why I added it... Glad to hear someone is using it, thanks :)

If it's the one that KoS used earlier in her ongoing tutorial series, I'm also using it :) e; Just checked the Google Doc, it's not actually, but yours looks very good for being upgrade-ready.

Quick question; Does Mining Productivity research mean that it simply pulls an additional chunk of ore out of the ground when the bar fills, or does it create a free one, like Productivity Modules in assemblers?

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 9, 2017

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

If it's the one that KoS used earlier in her ongoing tutorial series, I'm also using it :)

Quick question; Does Mining Productivity research mean that it simply pulls an additional chunk of ore out of the ground when the bar fills, or does it create a free one, like Productivity Modules in assemblers?

Unless something unspeakably weird is going on, it should work exactly like productivity modules do.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mister Adequate posted:

If it's the one that KoS used earlier in her ongoing tutorial series, I'm also using it :) e; Just checked the Google Doc, it's not actually, but yours looks very good for being upgrade-ready.

The miners create an extra ore from thin air. It also gets popped out at a different time cycle thingy as the non-productive cycle. This will affect the number of miners it takes to saturate a belt. It is a pain in the rear end to calculate so I just always oversaturate my ore lines.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
How long does it take for a miner to produce enough extra material to justify prod modules? I always go from the biggest consumers down with prod mods, so silo, labs, science packs, circuits, etc, and have never made it to miners.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

How long does it take for a miner to produce enough extra material to justify prod modules? I always go from the biggest consumers down with prod mods, so silo, labs, science packs, circuits, etc, and have never made it to miners.

A very very long time

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
Maybe factorio guy wouldn't need so many God drat green circuits if he didn't drop them on loving dirty conveyor belts in the open air.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

NachtSieger posted:

Unless something unspeakably weird is going on, it should work exactly like productivity modules do.

KirbyKhan posted:

The miners create an extra ore from thin air. It also gets popped out at a different time cycle thingy as the non-productive cycle. This will affect the number of miners it takes to saturate a belt. It is a pain in the rear end to calculate so I just always oversaturate my ore lines.

Cool, thanks for the info my dudes!

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
So I have a lot of factory areas where i'm pulling off a half belt of green circuits to merge with another material. This is causing the other lane on the belt to become backed up all the way back to my green circuits area and is basically stopping some of my circuit machines from doing anything. Any suggestions for how to rectify this?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Asciana posted:

So I have a lot of factory areas where i'm pulling off a half belt of green circuits to merge with another material. This is causing the other lane on the belt to become backed up all the way back to my green circuits area and is basically stopping some of my circuit machines from doing anything. Any suggestions for how to rectify this?

https://factorioprints.com/view/-Kkg4UNWOUDvybA9LeH_ has a bunch of balanced belt splitters that can draw off material from a bus line without unbalancing things.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Asciana posted:

Use more green circuits. (Alternatively, stop seeing it as a problem that you've got more production capacity than you need right now).

You could, I suppose, use a lane balancer just after your green circuit production. That way, instead of having one lane backed up to the point where four machines aren't working, you'll have both lanes backed up to the point where two machines on each side aren't working. But that's not actually good for anything beyond aesthetics (at least until you start playing with modules).

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Asciana posted:

Could you explain How/Why you're only pulling off half a lane? I assume you only want half a lane since the other half is another ingredient, but if you just use a splitter to a H junction with the other ingredient than it will continue pulling off both sides of the source belt and depositing on the half of the destination

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

M_Gargantua posted:

Could you explain How/Why you're only pulling off half a lane? I assume you only want half a lane since the other half is another ingredient, but if you just use a splitter to a H junction with the other ingredient than it will continue pulling off both sides of the source belt and depositing on the half of the destination

It's probably something like the green circuits are being drawn off the bus and pushed onto one side of a belt, which causes one half of the bus to get fed preferentially into the split-off line

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It's probably something like the green circuits are being drawn off the bus and pushed onto one side of a belt, which causes one half of the bus to get fed preferentially into the split-off line

Yeah, this is exactly whats happening. I really wish it wouldnt do this, but I guess thats just the way it is.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Asciana posted:

Yeah, this is exactly whats happening. I really wish it wouldnt do this, but I guess thats just the way it is.

Just put a belt balancer on the green circuit line after you split it off to re-merge the belt.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Asciana posted:

Oh got it, so its just cosmetic

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

M_Gargantua posted:

Oh got it, so its just cosmetic

naw, it's always bad if you're letting stuff back up on just one side of a belt, that means that all the assemblers that are outputting to that side of the belt are going to be backed up for no good reason

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

naw, it's always bad if you're letting stuff back up on just one side of a belt, that means that all the assemblers that are outputting to that side of the belt are going to be backed up for no good reason

There is a "good reason", it's that you're not actually using all of that product.

The only thing that balancing gets you is that now you have an equal number of assemblers on each side getting backed up.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I finally won a game of Factorio after 40 hours, and now I'm looking for more. But I have no idea where to begin with mods. I've poked at Angel's and Bob's and I like some of what they do but not other parts. Basically I'm looking for more stuff - more types of weapons, vehicles, biters, armor, etc. - without necessarily having six types of ore that becomes eleven types of metal according to which of 15 different sorters you use, and a different kind of cabling, circuit board, and bot for each metal as well.

crackalackin
Sep 15, 2017

Mister Adequate posted:

I finally won a game of Factorio after 40 hours
Congrats!

Mister Adequate posted:

and now I'm looking for more. But I have no idea where to begin with mods.
Check out Arumba and Steejo on Youtube. They have LPs of Bob's, Angles, Angel's Petrochem, Factorissimo, etc

Mister Adequate posted:

I've poked at Angel's and Bob's and I like some of what they do but not other parts. Basically I'm looking for more stuff - more types of weapons, vehicles, biters, armor, etc. - without necessarily having six types of ore that becomes eleven types of metal according to which of 15 different sorters you use, and a different kind of cabling, circuit board, and bot for each metal as well.

Well, it sounds like you want more of the fighting biters part than the building a base part. Personally, I love Bob's + Angles. It makes smelting more than a simple three-step process, but you can actually build really cool structures and you have to think more about logistics... which Factorio, at least for me, is all about.

You can also filter the Factorio mod database by tags, i.e. here we only look at mods tagged with weapons: https://mods.factorio.com/?tags=weapons

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Mister Adequate posted:

I finally won a game of Factorio after 40 hours, and now I'm looking for more. But I have no idea where to begin with mods. I've poked at Angel's and Bob's and I like some of what they do but not other parts. Basically I'm looking for more stuff - more types of weapons, vehicles, biters, armor, etc. - without necessarily having six types of ore that becomes eleven types of metal according to which of 15 different sorters you use, and a different kind of cabling, circuit board, and bot for each metal as well.

You might like Youki Industries then or NPUtils, they go a little into the new ores territory but they don't go apeshit. I can't really suggest anything else because I've gone the other way and know about the complex supply chain type mods.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

Ratzap posted:

You might like Youki Industries then or NPUtils, they go a little into the new ores territory but they don't go apeshit. I can't really suggest anything else because I've gone the other way and know about the complex supply chain type mods.

there's also the option of just continuing to ramp up production in the game you've finished. Launching 50 more rockets is a totally different challenge from launching the first one.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

little munchkin posted:

there's also the option of just continuing to ramp up production in the game you've finished. Launching 50 more rockets is a totally different challenge from launching the first one.

I also highly recommend runs to get the lazy man rocket and the 8hour rocket achievements

Lazy man, because it really teaches you to be reliant on automation and production, and the 8 hour, so you build up efficient templates for mass resource production.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Speaking of what to do once you've won the game, is there a deeper point to ribbon worlds - worlds limited in size on one axis, where you expand mostly solely on one axis? I get that fitting your factory in the given space is harder, and defending gets easier since you get two walls for free. And then there's the fun bug/feature where the edges of the world count as water. Anything else I'm missing?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
At a certain point it seems like a setting to ease you into the "correct" conduct because the maximized way of handling resource gen vs origin point is to expand one direction only. So when you hit a scary bug base you need to power through instead of zig zagging somewhere else like you might do with normal gen and lose out on fractions of resource multiplier.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Darth Various posted:

Speaking of what to do once you've won the game, is there a deeper point to ribbon worlds - worlds limited in size on one axis, where you expand mostly solely on one axis? I get that fitting your factory in the given space is harder, and defending gets easier since you get two walls for free. And then there's the fun bug/feature where the edges of the world count as water. Anything else I'm missing?

It's fun working within the size constraints.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I started up my first AngelBobs game, and right now it's looking like to automate even the most basic plate production line, I need filter inserters. Is that right, or am I overlooking something incredibly obvious?

This feels like unnecessary complexity for its own sake. Not everything needs two byproducts just to make logistics that much harder.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

DoubleNegative posted:

I started up my first AngelBobs game, and right now it's looking like to automate even the most basic plate production line, I need filter inserters. Is that right, or am I overlooking something incredibly obvious?

This feels like unnecessary complexity for its own sake. Not everything needs two byproducts just to make logistics that much harder.
Crushed stone can't be loaded into furnaces, and crushed ore can't be loaded into a crushed stone assembler. So if you set up one of each, even non-filter inserters will do the right thing. But yeah, locking filter inserters behind basic electronic boards is a bit bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Loaders are basically a necessity for AngelBobs, and they have their own filters. Warehouses are similarly really damned handy, since with 24 input/output locations, you can use them as intermediate steps to filter out products and direct waste to certain parts of the factory.