Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

StealthBus posted:

I've just moved over from Android and the only thing I can't find are apps that :

1. Have certain apps require an extra fingerprint login

Any recommendations?

Settings > General > Restrictions for the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm going to be on a plane for six hours with a three year old. What's the best scribble/paint app for that sort of age bracket?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there an app where I can put in movies that I wanna watch, and have it push me a notification when said movie is released for dvd/blue Ray/streaming? The app should automatically look up release dates too, so calendar doesn't work.

I use an app called Just Watch to search streaming providers. They have a watch list, not sure if they do notifications

https://www.justwatch.com/us

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Ramadu posted:

Hey dudes I'm looking for a podcast app recommendation. The new ios11 podcast app is horrible. Its slow as poo poo on my 5s (yeah yeah its old but i cant afford an upgrade) but the biggest issue is that I can no longer see the episodes I have downloaded and when I'm not playing the newest ones in a podcast like last podcast on the left that has 280+ episodes and I have to try to remember which it was and scroll to that point its unreasonable.

Am I blind and there is a way I can do what I want it too like the old app or is there a new better one?

I hate to say it but you probably shouldn't have updated to IOS11 on the 5S.

Anyway, most people seem to be fine using Overcast.

You can set the ordering to "oldest first" and then the first item in the list will be whatever episode you're up to in the backlog.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

~Coxy posted:

I hate to say it but you probably shouldn't have updated to IOS11 on the 5S.

Anyway, most people seem to be fine using Overcast.

You can set the ordering to "oldest first" and then the first item in the list will be whatever episode you're up to in the backlog.

Yeah I think you might be right but I only did it because every single time i unlocked my phone it would demand to install it unless I hit install later....at which point it would demand again the next time I unlocked it. It was mostly a "jesus gently caress fine apple just leave me alone now" sort of reasoning. I'm pretty sure theres no way to revert it is there? It pretty much mostly works but so many of the apps just seem worse.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out. I'd just never needed to look for another one since you know, it loving worked.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Kazy posted:

Settings > General > Restrictions for the first one.

I thought of this when I saw the question, but from what I can see it can only restrict apps by age rating, not by naming individual apps.

You can go the other direction and lock a single app to be the only thing that can be run without a passcode via Guided Access, but I don't think that's what's wanted either.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

If anyone hates iTunes 12.7's guts for removing features they wanted to keep, you can download a special version of iTunes (v.12.6.3) for Mac, 32/64-bit Windows that still keeps the ability to download App Store apps and ringtones at this link:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208079

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Can iTunes still be used to organize apps? Could I use it to organize them without syncing? I've always assumed I couldn't but man I really would like to completely reorganize all. I haven't had itunes installed for ages.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I finally switched over to Overcast. Just couldn't deal with the lovely new way Stations work in the Apple podcatcher anymore.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > iOS Apps Megathread: Just use Overcast

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Vince MechMahon posted:

I finally switched over to Overcast. Just couldn't deal with the lovely new way Stations work in the Apple podcatcher anymore.
I can't believe it took you that long!

If you're someone who listens to podcasts with any regularity and wants any features in a podcast app whatsoever, you should ditch the stock podcasts app ASAP.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

If you're someone who listens to podcasts with any regularity and wants any features in a podcast app whatsoever, you should ditch the stock podcasts app ASAP.

I used to use Downcast, but wanted to be able to listen to poo poo on my Apple TV, so I switched. Overcast is much better though, yes.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Vince MechMahon posted:

I used to use Downcast, but wanted to be able to listen to poo poo on my Apple TV, so I switched. Overcast is much better though, yes.

You can AirPlay Downcast to the Apple TV as well? At least as far as I know there’s no Overcast app for the Apple TV, so I’m not sure how you’re doing it other than AirPlay?

Still a fan of Downcast’s customizability, like being able to create a “morning” playlist where it always starts with NPR’s hourly news summary (the feed for which only keeps the most recent podcast and streams it when played rather than downloading a new one every hour), then plays one or two other news podcasts in chronological order, then a lower tier of podcasts to fill the rest of the time. Overcast isn’t too far off with smart playlists and priority podcasts but doesn’t have quite the same level of customizability.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

fordan posted:

You can AirPlay Downcast to the Apple TV as well? At least as far as I know there’s no Overcast app for the Apple TV, so I’m not sure how you’re doing it other than AirPlay?

Still a fan of Downcast’s customizability, like being able to create a “morning” playlist where it always starts with NPR’s hourly news summary (the feed for which only keeps the most recent podcast and streams it when played rather than downloading a new one every hour), then plays one or two other news podcasts in chronological order, then a lower tier of podcasts to fill the rest of the time. Overcast isn’t too far off with smart playlists and priority podcasts but doesn’t have quite the same level of customizability.

The Apple TV thing has become less important to me. Basically I just wanted something to do podcasts with and I could upload to that I didn't need to connect to iTunes. Overcast was it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

fordan posted:

That's an awesome feature. I may need to switch. I'm using PocketCasts and my queue is getting a bit unweildly. I'm a bit of a podcast hoarder, I love to grab new podcasts and download their whole history. As a result my queue currently is over 100 hours and 100 episodes. It'd be sweet if I could break that up into different themes and genres.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

That’s the thing that makes me so crazy about this though. I *don’t* want any features. Seriously. I want to be able to see all of my podcasts in a list with badge notifications for new eps and I want to be able to build a play queue that I can actually see and revise. That is ALL. I consider this base functionality and Apple took them both away. It’s madness! I want ZERO frills and now I have to pay for poo poo I don’t need just to have a functioning podcast player that doesn’t break in with ads. I want so little and Apple cannot provide...

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I was a staunch stock Podcast app user because I wasn't asking much from it.

Now I can't tell how many episodes of a show I have downloaded and the Now Playing playing logic is mystifying (why won't it just play the next episode listed in Now Playing instead of stopping when I've listed to the last episode in that particular show?).

Having a Podcast playlist helps restore previous functionality (include all unplayed podcast episodes from all podcasts, play oldest to Newest, don't group by podcast) but still.

Also, I'm still unsure about how the stock Podcast app automatically goes back 5 seconds after you stopped listening for a while. I'm always a little taken aback when I hear something I remember I just heard.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The only thing I wish I could get from a podcast is making an auto playlist from a single feed where only podcasts when certain key words in their name get added. I've got a patreon feed for an entire network and would love to be able to auto filter by show.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Lordshmee posted:

That’s the thing that makes me so crazy about this though. I *don’t* want any features. Seriously. I want to be able to see all of my podcasts in a list with badge notifications for new eps and I want to be able to build a play queue that I can actually see and revise. That is ALL. I consider this base functionality and Apple took them both away. It’s madness! I want ZERO frills and now I have to pay for poo poo I don’t need just to have a functioning podcast player that doesn’t break in with ads. I want so little and Apple cannot provide...
Overcast's ads are apparently just a little banner at the bottom that only advertises other podcasts. (I paid back in 1.0 so I haven't seen them.)

edit: playlist filter by keyword is niche as hell so i get why it's not there but i totally understand why it's desirable. Maybe tweet at/email the downcast person, that's the crunchiest/settingsiest podcast player iirc.

edit2: downcast does have the weird-rear end "why the hell would i want this" sort by title setting, so if it starts with the keyword that might be the best option to get them all back-to-back

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 12, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Overcast ads are extremely subtle. Definitely not an issue.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Overcast ads are extremely subtle. Definitely not an issue.

This.

They also are only for podcasts, so they are arguably even a little useful.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Does iCloud back up voice memos? If so, how do I access them? Is the only way to restore to that time frame, if I happen to have a backup from then?

Spikey Willow
Feb 26, 2008

IuniusBrutus posted:

This.

They also are only for podcasts, so they are arguably even a little useful.

Yep. I was reluctant to upgrade once they added ads, but you barely notice them and they don't intrude at all with what you're doing.

And yes they're all for more podcasts; I've downloaded some myself having seen the ads. The system works!

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I’m moving house, and figured that as I unpack all my books, this would be a good time to keep track and organise them.

Is there a good app that lets you scan the barcode on a book and catalogue them all on your phone?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Cultural Marxist posted:

I’m moving house, and figured that as I unpack all my books, this would be a good time to keep track and organise them.

Is there a good app that lets you scan the barcode on a book and catalogue them all on your phone?

If you also have a mac, there is delicious library. The phone will scan, the mac will catalog.

Otherwise, https://alternativeto.net/software/delicious-library/?platform=iphone has some suggestions, but none of them seem great

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I do also

Grassy Knowles posted:

If you also have a mac, there is delicious library. The phone will scan, the mac will catalog.

Otherwise, https://alternativeto.net/software/delicious-library/?platform=iphone has some suggestions, but none of them seem great

I do also have a Mac, so I shall check this out, cheers!

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
There's Goodreads if you want to go the social media route. It will also provide recommendations for future books.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

There’s Kimico’s Book Buddy, which is purely for managing a physical library. He has one for Music that I use for a rather large record collection and it works well. Doesn’t have a desktop app but it can be exported to CSV if you want to view it in something else.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kimicos-bookbuddy/id395150347?mt=8

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Thank you all for the excellent suggestions!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I don’t know if this is the right thread for this but here goes:

I can’t rent/purchase anything from the Amazon Video app on my iPad. It doesn’t even show me the option. I do get the option to watch the free movies. If I rent/purchase the movie on my PC or PS4, then I can watch it on the iPad app but this is a rather obnoxious workaround and I’d rather not have to do it.

Any ideas?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Amazon makes you buy from a web page in order to prevent paying Apple a 30% cut of in app purchases. AFAIK you can’t get around that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Amazon makes you buy from a web page in order to prevent paying Apple a 30% cut of in app purchases. AFAIK you can’t get around that.

Yep this is it. Same with Audible. It's a pain in the rear end

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
And (unsurprisingly) Kindle.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
And Google Books, Movies etc

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
On the other hand I signed up for Netflix through the iOS app and was really confused I couldn’t use the gift card I’d just been given.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Does Apple's own health app really have no widget? hosed up if true.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Whoa, really? Why doesn’t the app tell you that?

Edit: I guess Sony must not take a cut; I can actually rent/buy on my PS3 and PS4 apps just fine. Stupid Apple.

...! fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 16, 2017

clayburn
Mar 6, 2007

Cammy Cam Juice

...! posted:

I may be mistaken, but I think Apple’s terms don’t even allow apps to tell you where to buy the digital content.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

clayburn posted:

I may be mistaken, but I think Apple’s terms don’t even allow apps to tell you where to buy the digital content.
Can't do that, and if you have in in-app browser it better not let you get to a purchase page in any way, no matter how many links you have to follow.

...! posted:

Edit: I guess Sony must not take a cut; I can actually rent/buy on my PS3 and PS4 apps just fine. Stupid Apple.
Sony probably takes a much smaller cut.

I dunno, they both kinda suck. Apple's policy is v straightforward if strict: you want to sell any form of digital stuff to use on an iphone, apple gets 30%. Amazon would rather not give Apple its profits on reselling digital stuff, so instead they make their app way crappier to use. Apple says that they're passing on 70% when they sell stuff in their own store, why should they give up even more just to let someone shop at a competitor. They're both middlemen trying to take a cut and consumers get the short end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I wonder if Apple takes a 30% cut from Apple when you buy something from iTunes. I guess since you can buy stuff directly from the app, Apple must not mind giving 30% to Apple. Why can’t Amazon do the same? :downs: