Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Dollar Draw on the IV Renewal payed off big time.

:toot:

I've been focusing on more offensive options like Deuce BSB for Magicites recently, but it's nice to have this amazing USB to fall back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

saltylopez posted:

I guess if you absolutely had to, but the dungeons seem to have pretty generous open to closing dates.

15 games, 2 to 3 banners per game, ~400 stamina per banner just to get to the + dungeons, then those are 80-100 more until the ultimates. At 20 stamina per hour that's at least a month of stamina charging to do everything, and they're open for three weeks.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I think I'm gonna focus on the dungeons that give Mythril, pretty easy to let auto take care of the dungeons for me while I work.

The FFTA event is gonna own gonna get Ramza's Burst Shout and get my bro Montblanc all geared up.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

pichupal posted:

Dollar Draw on the IV Renewal payed off big time.

:toot:

I've been focusing on more offensive options like Deuce BSB for Magicites recently, but it's nice to have this amazing USB to fall back on.

:catstare:

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Pander posted:

Depending on your other options these BSBs can be excellent (first two fit almost any circumstances, the rest are a bit more situational):

OK
Cid Raines
Edea
Maria
Ayame
Reks
Shadow
Shantotto

I do wish I had a good way of posting what I've got besides taking a hundred screenshots.

I already have OK and Shadow's BSBs (Shadow's is good? I didn't know.)
Cid's is definitely #1 pick.

Edit: I just looked at my bursts again and boy howdy am I good on dark bursts. Shadow, Kuja, CoD, Jecht, and if I grab it, Cid Raines for that good good MAG boost.

Vonnie fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 16, 2017

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Bruceski posted:

15 games, 2 to 3 banners per game, ~400 stamina per banner just to get to the + dungeons, then those are 80-100 more until the ultimates. At 20 stamina per hour that's at least a month of stamina charging to do everything, and they're open for three weeks.

Yea...I was a day one player who took a year break and on the FF4 dungeons I have 3 to work through. Depending on how many event sthey do for the realms that have had a poo poo ton of events (basically 6-13) I will absolutely need refreshes, but I'm getting so much mithril coming in I don;t mind using them. And that's without mentioning that I'm at 163 stamina, new players will have less, although it would probably make better snes for them to go through the 1/2 stamina classics until they have at least 100 or so.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
IV Accessories

3*
2x Power Armlet (IV) - +15 ATK

4*
4x Rune Armlet (IV) - +15 MAG, +10 MND
3x Sand Pearl (IV) - +20 MND

5*
Black Mage Twin Stars (IV) - +30 MAG
Carnelian Signet (IV) - +15 ATK, Moderate Fire resistance
Cid's Boots (IV) - +30 DEF
Edge's Earring (IV) - +15 ATK, Moderate Slow resistance
Flame Cloak (IV) - +15 MAG, Moderate Fire resistance
Kain's Boots (IV) - +30 ATK

Seems like we're only going back to events that had an Ultimate fight. That means we miss out on two early IV events, Light Against the Darkness and Man in Black.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

PneumonicBook posted:

Yea...I was a day one player who took a year break and on the FF4 dungeons I have 3 to work through. Depending on how many event sthey do for the realms that have had a poo poo ton of events (basically 6-13) I will absolutely need refreshes, but I'm getting so much mithril coming in I don;t mind using them. And that's without mentioning that I'm at 163 stamina, new players will have less, although it would probably make better snes for them to go through the 1/2 stamina classics until they have at least 100 or so.

I've got 90 so yeah, a mythril doesn't go as far for me.

And I was basing my estimate on games that didn't have six goddamn banners to work through. Mythril refills is definitely a thing. I'm going up through the 120s because that's what I can manage.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, I was confused since there's two different closing dates in different screens. If the 11/05 date is correct (and it most likely is) then it'll be a bit more dicey.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Of course the renewal dungeons stop going back right about when I started playing. I do need to finish off the burning edge event though--so now I can do that.

Managed to beat the XV event CM without any relics or SBs aside from the freebie shared one. I didn't think I would be able to but somehow I did. That assails my fears of having to draw on the banner and getting only LMs.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Did a pull on 15 for Noctis' LMR, went 3/11: Aranea BSB, LMR, Prompto SSB. Not bad! I have a Dragoon now.

This'll put me at 5/12 on the banner but I'm really tempted to keep going.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

ceaselessfuture posted:

Did a pull on 15 for Noctis' LMR, went 3/11: Aranea BSB, LMR, Prompto SSB. Not bad! I have a Dragoon now.

This'll put me at 5/12 on the banner but I'm really tempted to keep going.

That is a recipe for tears, quit now and wait for ffta

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i got the noctis lmr and double iris moogle and promptos auto crossbow but i kinda want to pull on ffxv again too :I

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Alxprit posted:

I haven't done really big math on it, but I think the Renewal Dungeons are only going as far back as events with at least one Ultimate battle.

That's a shame. Means I won't get to see anything old in this. Couple of missed early ultimates at most. :sigh:

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
oh man, a runback against Cagnazzo 160. I think it was one of the first 160's and I never cleared it... looks like I owe someone an introduction to my new best friend Ayame.

Also looking back at the FF3 dungeons reminds me of this screenshot I took.

Failing the win condition for not getting hit by 3 Megaflares made me laugh at the time - I cleared it but didn't get mastery. I think I've gotten better wind options in the last year and a half. Hand over those Major Power Orbs and Major Wind Orbs, motherfucker.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Noctis gear will come back around anyway, I guess. As soon as the Renewal banner too, actually.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just dollar drew a dupe copy of Rosa's USB bow. Should I combine it or keep it separate?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Depending on how many mythril we get, I might attempt 1 more pull on the FF15 banner. I'm currently at 18 now after 1 mythril refresh, and I started playing around the CoD FF3 event.

So far, two pulls got me:

Prompto BSB
Prompto SSB
Noctis SSB (dupe)
Iris BSB (dupe)

i am currently missing: noct osb, noct LMR, Gladiolus OSB, Gladiolus LMR, Iris LMR, Arenea OSB/BSB/SSB/LMR, Prompto LMR/USB

Ughhhhhh

So far:

Cleared FF1 events, Cleared FF2 event and halfway through other FF2 event, Partway done first FF3 event in the list (from before), Mostly cleared Ceodore FF4 event.

Everything else I've never touched before.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 16, 2017

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
100 gem - Palom's Holy Rod SSB

Wait a second, can Cid Raines use rods? *checks* He sure can :dance:

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
XV full team CM? I... did not expect that. Iris is 65, Noctis 40. Rest level 1 and no eggs.

Maybe the renewals will hand out enough eggs to make this happen, don't want to miss my first event CM since summer fest.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

NaanViolence posted:

I just dollar drew a dupe copy of Rosa's USB bow. Should I combine it or keep it separate?

Combine it. Other then the recent Omega battle where you might want two MND-optimized users for Stop, there are very, very few reasons to optimize MND on more then one person. And you might already have a 6* MND weapon that's a lot more flexible then a bow too. It's just for healers and stop infliction/time reduction.

Regardless, the short list of people who can benefit from a MND bow since I was curious who else could actually use it since I just pulled one:

• White Mages : Arc, Porom, Rosa, Lenna, Penelo
  • White 4/5 users : Echo, Scott, Pecil, Ceodore, Noel, Tyro [Dived: Maria, OK]
  • Stop users : Echo, Maria, Leon, Gordon, Scott, Arc, OK, Yuffie, Fran, Ashe, Serah, Ysayle
  • Halting Rumba users : Lenna, Faris, Yuffie

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
oh jesus these renewal banners are brutal. I just barely finish all of 3 today and then I peak at IV and I have 4 banners to do

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
caved in and drew on the XV banner. Got 1/11 moogle plushie so now I have a moogle plushie +++ yay

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

School me on Imperils: I was under the impression that it was awesome to use them on things already weak to the element, but now I'm reading that they're even better on neutral or even resistant enemies.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

ceaselessfuture posted:

School me on Imperils: I was under the impression that it was awesome to use them on things already weak to the element, but now I'm reading that they're even better on neutral or even resistant enemies.

As I understand, regular weak enemies get no effect from imperils, you can't do more than 100% bonus damage from weakness.
In current endgame enemies are only 50% weak to elements, and thus can benefit from imperils for more bonus damage.
The other major use for imperils is to make something go from regular to slightly weak, thus increasing both damage and your soul juice charge rate.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mithross posted:

As I understand, regular weak enemies get no effect from imperils, you can't do more than 100% bonus damage from weakness.
In current endgame enemies are only 50% weak to elements, and thus can benefit from imperils for more bonus damage.
The other major use for imperils is to make something go from regular to slightly weak, thus increasing both damage and your soul juice charge rate.

Also, a lot of omniresist bosses are either 50% resistant (three stacks of Imperil turns it into a 10% Weakness) or 20% resistant (One stack makes it neutral, more makes it weak). It doesn't help much against things like the last form of Archaeoaevis (the last FF5 event's MP fight, which was basically omni-null; imperils cap at 3 stacks/60%, so going non-elemental was really the best option there) but against a lot of things, enough imperil can turn a resistance basically neutral.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Is this XV banner really good or something? I see a lot of people pulling on it and I'm not sure if I should, too. I don't really care about any of the characters in XV but I've already got good gear for most of my favorites so now it's basically just pulling for faster magicite clears and CMs. This would definitely help with the latter, but is anything on this banner aside from Noct's SSB really good for magicite stuff?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Is this XV banner really good or something? I see a lot of people pulling on it and I'm not sure if I should, too. I don't really care about any of the characters in XV but I've already got good gear for most of my favorites so now it's basically just pulling for faster magicite clears and CMs. This would definitely help with the latter, but is anything on this banner aside from Noct's SSB really good for magicite stuff?

I think it's a combo of fun FFXV characters, new realm with few dupes for most, and a couple of strong items.

It's not exceptionally good besides Noct SSB, but nothing on it is really bad either, at least above SSB-level.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Noct's SSB is basically the Magicite kit, and his LMR bumps him up almost to Cloud level for the purposes of barfing out a continuous stream of Omega Drives. Iris's BSB is still a top shelf Healer Burst, only held back by a lack of Wrath, and Prompto's USB is basically your One Stop Lightning Imperil Option, though I don't know if his damage output (or his HP) is quite high enough to warrant him on a Bismarck team. Aranea will ever-so-temporarily dethrone Kain as The Lightning 'Goon with her BSB/OSB, but that changes as soon as our next FF4 event when Kain gets his USB.

It's not necessarily a "good banner" (if you ask me, the overall quality of the Gladio banner was slightly higher) but it's got a lot of good poo poo on it for relatively good/useful characters in case you missed it the first time a FFXV event hit.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

KataraniSword posted:

Prompto's USB is basically your One Stop Lightning Imperil Option, though I don't know if his damage output (or his HP) is quite high enough to warrant him on a Bismarck team.

Prompto's a mechanist with Lifesiphon - there's not many, and while we're moving into more abilities now, it still lets him get out his imperil (or pentabreak, for non-Magicite uses) faster if you're not going to Entrust him. If you also get his LMR, it's the same 25% doublecast as Noctis' except for Machinist, which includes Tempest Snipe, AKA 'the ability he is basically built to spam'.

His damage output is fine, even if his HP isn't great, being down in the mages. Though at base it's only 23 less than Refia or 371 more than Fujin at level 99, and people use them, so...

Edit: Also, he takes selfies. This may either be a plus or a minus, your choice.

Prism fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 16, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Aranea BSB is good enough to whomp on Bismarck if you're willing to hone Lightning Dive(BSB + OSB is also quite good), since she's temporarily Kain+. Prompto USB is also a pretty good Bismarck kit if you're willing to hone Tempest Snipe. Neither of them are Top Meta Sick 8 Second BEAST MODE clear characters but they are more than good enough to get the job done.

I tossed a single pull at it to try to shore up my physical lightning team and got Prompto SSB/BSB, which are completely useless for magicite. :toot: I don't plan to throw anymore but I don't really regret giving it a shot.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Man they really need to give us a way to skip all the normal trash dungeons in events after you've reached a certain level of power (maybe a character at 99?). So much time wasted just autoattacking things that can't scratch you.

In general it just feels a little overwhelming with how much poo poo they've added recently, I feel like doing everything that comes out takes like twice as long now as it did even a month or two ago.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I don’t know when they make the change to events but eventually it looks like each event stage is a simple boss fight, at least with the FFIX and FFV events going on in Japan right now.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

So is the XV renewal banner just going to be literally an exact repeat of the first XV banner? If so I might hold off until then, but I dunno.

I'm reasonably set for lightning magic but I don't have much in the way of physical lightning stuff, so maybe this banner is better for me?

edit: pulled on it, instant regret. 1/11, Aranea SSB. Blegh, come the gently caress on game, I haven't had a pull better than 2/11 in like 2 months, except for a 3/11 with 2 dupes.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 16, 2017

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I hope the FFV renewal dungeon has Lenna's wardrobe record because I was overseas when it happened and I didn't have a good enough connection to actually complete it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ceaselessfuture posted:

In terms of relative damage increase, yes, imperils are more effective the more resistant the target is to that element. Applying an imperil to a target that has a 50% weakness increases the damage taken from 150% to 170%, which is a 13% increase in damage taken. If you apply it to a neutral target, it increases damage taken from 100% to 120%, which is obviously a 20% increase. Applying it to a target that is 50% resistant increases damage taken from 50% to 70%, which is a 40% increase.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Another pull on ff15 banner when it comes up, or type0, or woff, or FFT banner. Hrm mmm.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

In general it just feels a little overwhelming with how much poo poo they've added recently, I feel like doing everything that comes out takes like twice as long now as it did even a month or two ago.

i'm tired of the loving magicite grind

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Are there any 3* abilities worth keeping or getting? Was thinking about smashing all my 3* and trading up every orb below a greater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
There's some decent/good stuff at the 3* rarity.

-The ninja veils are surprisingly powerful
-3* summons get the job done vs dailies if using a mage team
-Tempo Flurry isn't the worst if a character only has celerity access
-Draw Fire is good if you lack 5* orbs or want to taunt on a character without Knight 5*
-Medal condition/fringe useful things like Blindga, Silencega, Stop/Box Step
-Haste, Dispel, Faith, Mana's Paean/Rallying Etude and Memento of a Prayer are useful for some fights or setups.

• Locked thread