Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

play bard, it's fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Bard is a good choice. Monk would probably be my personal recommendation. Very consistent. Same general idea all the way through and doesn't wildly change game plans or go 60+ levels without major parts of its kit or anything weird like other classes.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

There’s no way you can argue that summoner isn’t the easiest job to level.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Dross posted:

I could maybe see making the argument that Summoner is the easiest DPS to level by virtue of being attached to Scholar at the hip, but that's a disingenuous argument at best.

Personally I would suggest starting as Lancer, Archer or Pugilist; you're only stuck with your starting class until you unlock the ability to travel between the city-states around level 15 or so, and from then on you can experiment to find what you like at your leisure. Those three will get you from start to 15 fastest by virtue of being physical DPS.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I love Ninja so much in FFXIV. Also my preferred healer is Astrologian which you get at level 30 once you hit Heavensward. My wife mains Bard, and this is both her first FF and her first MMO.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Calaveron posted:

Depends. It's got a pretty interesting story and has great humor and settings and stuff
But since it's an MMO you need to play with other people who tend to suck
Goon guilds tend to be good at helping you out even with really old content
Also choose your class wisely. Last time I played, you're a tank? Great get the gently caress in there everybody wants you. You're anything else? Good luck dealing with the 10 minute waiting list for a tank rear end in a top hat

https://mobile.twitter.com/FFXIV_Kelly/status/779178929114324992

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Play whatever jobs you want. You can play all the jobs on one character and it loving owns.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mega64 posted:

Play whatever jobs you want. You can play all the jobs on one character and it loving owns.

You actually can't, because the true endgame is all glamour-based and certain roles share equipment :argh:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Are you just always like "it's been 10 whole seconds since I pressed a button this game sucks ugh" with every game?

gonna drop an "lmao" on this one

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Countblanc posted:

gonna drop an "lmao" on this one

Yeah you sure humiliated me. Grow up.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

For those who are interested in the meaning behind the Return to Ivalice raid in FFXIV but don't or can't play:

The world of Final Fantasy XIV has just been confirmed to be set in the far future of the other Ivalice games. Also, Bang'aa and Seeq still exist in the world of Hydaelyn. However, all Ivalician locations are currently within the borders of the Garlean empire and are thus hard to access.

No it it isn't it's just a surprising similar history set in FFXIV's setting just like Crystal Tower.

Like all the major plot points are actually reverse in chronological order than in the actual Ivalice games.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's not The same Ivalice as FFXII at all. Cid and Alma talk about Rabanastre trying to remain neutral in the war until it was Crushed by the Garlean Empire. Rabanastre in XII eventually overcame a totally different empire and built an alliance between that Empire and its major rival.

It's all just a reference and not actually the thing. It's why FFXII some how happens after the mudhole world where magic is dying in FFT in FF14's version even though the original Ivalice has it the other way because Ashe's destruction of the Sun Cryst cuts the Magic Source Illuminati off from the world. And it's also why Ba'gamnan is there somehow 1000 years after Rabanastre's destruction.

It's explicitly not the Ivalice in 12 or Tactics cause there's a character from twelve Ba'Gamnan and his siblings hanging around in the Ruins of Rabanastre 1000 years after the Garlean empire destroyed it. Like all things FFXIV it's just a really on the nose reference they juiced up to fit the setting.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 12, 2017

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

It's explicitly not the Ivalice in 12 or Tactics cause there's a character from twelve Ba'Gamnan and his siblings hanging around in the Ruins of Rabanastre 1000 years after the Garlean empire destroyed it. Like all things FFXIV it's just a really on the nose reference they juiced up to fit the setting.

It's more 10-20 years after the Garlean empire destroyed it, because they've only been around for like 50 years

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
How does it feel intentionally disappointing people who might have finally gotten interested in playing your MMO and helping keep it alive with their subscription dollars with the truth? Is this how you get your pumped up kicks, knowing that you have turned people away from playing your elite game (NO CASUALS ALLOWED MOOOOM) by giving them the facts? This is why Final Fantasy is a dead series propped up by MMO addicts, because people like you take away the fantasy and subsititute in "reality". May as well just call it Final Reality, starring Cloud Neckbeard and Aeris Gainzbro fighting Arthasiroth and his evil Empire.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Gologle posted:

How does it feel intentionally disappointing people who might have finally gotten interested in playing your MMO and helping keep it alive with their subscription dollars with the truth? Is this how you get your pumped up kicks, knowing that you have turned people away from playing your elite game (NO CASUALS ALLOWED MOOOOM) by giving them the facts? This is why Final Fantasy is a dead series propped up by MMO addicts, because people like you take away the fantasy and subsititute in "reality". May as well just call it Final Reality, starring Cloud Neckbeard and Aeris Gainzbro fighting Arthasiroth and his evil Empire.

:discourse:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Sir this is a Chocobo ranch

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Gologle posted:

*Aerith

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

TheHeadSage posted:

It's more 10-20 years after the Garlean empire destroyed it, because they've only been around for like 50 years

A character calls Rabanastre an Antediluvian city AKA "A city that existed before the flood" so it existed Pre-sixth umbral calamity. The Sixth Astral era lasted for 15 centuries. Rabanastre isn't that young. Like even if it was built right before the flood that still puts it hundreds and hundreds of years back.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 12, 2017

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

A character calls Rabanastre an Antediluvian city AKA "A city that existed before the flood" so it existed Pre-sixth umbral calamity. The Sixth Astral era lasted for 15 centuries. Rabanastre isn't that young. Like even if it was built right before the flood that still puts it hundreds and hundreds of years back.

No, I mean Garlemald has only been around for 50-60 years. Sure, Rabanastre has been around for a long time, but it was only destroyed recently when the Garlean Empire decided to march on up and kick it's teeth in.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I haven't played since the newest expansion but Final Fantasy XIV is the finest MMO I've ever played and the best FF title since FF6. It's shockingly well designed and a blast to play.

Plus it has AMAZING music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCcbKY7d0dc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0EWdGU86Gc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqJRnD5HuZw

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

TheHeadSage posted:

No, I mean Garlemald has only been around for 50-60 years. Sure, Rabanastre has been around for a long time, but it was only destroyed recently when the Garlean Empire decided to march on up and kick it's teeth in.

Either way it's still not the same Ivalice as FFXII and tactics since in the original game the time line runs the opposite way that FFXIV's version does. Like we know that Tactics is set way way after 12 as magic is dying out thanks to Ashe cutting off the weird godlike beings that fed magic into the world via their big Nethecite Sun Crystal.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
And as we all know, Ivallice Alliance rigidly adheres to its previously written canon.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

FFXIV Ivalice is probably some dream world nonsense to facilitate visiting Ivalice places that will end up not actually being related to the Ivalice Alliance.

As said though, the Ivalice Alliance doesn't make any sort of logical sense because it's all sort of lumped together after the fact.

Return to Ivalice was a real fun piece of content and it's nice to re-visit Rabanastre, especially the brief sojourn into the Garamsythe Waterway, looking forward to the next part where stuff will be.

The worst part it though is that Matsuno is only writing that raid, where Stormblood's main story is also in the Matsuno playbook of statecraft but it's intensely uninteresting compared to basically everything Matsuno as ever done, but especially in comparison to Tactics and Tactics Ogre. Stormblood headed up by Matsuno would have been the greatest.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Stormblood headed up by Matsuno would have been the greatest.
Only if you're okay with the conclusion of Stormblood being that you kill Hydaelyn. :v: Matsuno stories (and Shin Megami Tensei) are where that JRPG trope came from in the first place, they're always politicking that leads into killing god.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hell yeah I'm okay with that because that's probably where we're ending up anyway. Naoki Yoshida's super into Matsuno stuff anyway (He was asked what game should be added to SNES classic and he said TO) so why not have the main man do it well.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Dross posted:

Sure it's the easiest but you get it to level 70 and then start leveling something else because summoner is like minus amounts of fun to play right now

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Only if you're okay with the conclusion of Stormblood being that you kill Hydaelyn. :v: Matsuno stories (and Shin Megami Tensei) are where that JRPG trope came from in the first place, they're always politicking that leads into killing god.

thats also what every suikoden is about. so it seems like all the best games do it!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Red Red Blue posted:

Sure it's the easiest but you get it to level 70 and then start leveling something else because summoner is like minus amounts of fun to play right now

To be fair they just realized 'oh maybe the pet class should be able to heal their pet' like, the other day. That's something!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The GIG posted:

And as we all know, Ivallice Alliance rigidly adheres to its previously written canon.

It's more FFXIV is know to pull parts of things full cloth for references and then play with a lot of the details to make it work in its own setting.

Like how the reason there's FFV bosses in Omega is Omega read some fairy tales that were based on events in the 3rd Astral Era that are similar to FFV but not actually FFV.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

corn in the bible posted:

i started up ff14 and walked around the starting town and realized it was just wow again and turned it off thx

Lmfao this is the dumbest thing in this thread, of course you posted it

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

To be fair, we sort of got that anyway with the Zenos/Shinryu bit at the end. Whole thing's got Matsuno written all over it.

And honestly I think Stormblood would have been fine if they had chosen to focus on a single location and really flesh both it and its inhabitants out, rather than trying to split things between two locations. But the situations in Doma and Ala Mhigo were set up as being so similar for so long that I don't think they could have gotten away with doing them separately. In the end I think it's just a matter of biting off more than they could chew.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They're making whatever Tidus did between X and X-2 canon in the mobile game

I say canon because Toriyama is doing the writing on it

...I'm really confused, because I did not think Tidus existed until the very end of X-2 again.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I like how every time they try to expand a mainline game's story they end up going the most bizarre and weirdest directions possible, with the possible exception of X-2.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I thought Tidus got blown up by a bomb blitzball

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

i started up ff14 and walked around the starting town and realized it was just wow again and turned it off thx

Hey that's not fair.

It's slightly worse than WoW in some areas.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Leal posted:

I thought Tidus got blown up by a bomb blitzball
That's after X-2.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Mega64 posted:

I like how every time they try to expand a mainline game's story they end up going the most bizarre and weirdest directions possible, with the possible exception of X-2.

Idk, I think X-2 is a pretty bizarre and weird direction to take after X already. That's not saying it's bad, it's actually good imo, but it certainly doesn't feel much like the first game.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

No you didn't.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ventana posted:

Idk, I think X-2 is a pretty bizarre and weird direction to take after X already. That's not saying it's bad, it's actually good imo, but it certainly doesn't feel much like the first game.

at face value it's weird but it makes sense that the game after you've broken the terrible endless cycle of destruction and human sacrifices fueled by ancient grudges ends up having a lighter tone than the game before you did all that

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Didn't FFX end with Tidus ambiguously swimming back towards life anyways, that X-2 had as an ending too if you got 100% completion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Brother Entropy posted:

at face value it's weird but it makes sense that the game after you've broken the terrible endless cycle of destruction and human sacrifices fueled by ancient grudges ends up having a lighter tone than the game before you did all that

Lighter tone makes sense. But to go right to J-Pop concerts in 2 years is a but much though.