Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Tom King is the best writer in comics right now. Like, I'm enjoying his Batman run but I feel like he's a little wasted on Batman. He's that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Tom King also has the most pro Twitter game next to Zdarsky. No slapfights, no mansplaining: just teases for books, jokes, and his kids playing with action figures to hilarious effect

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
To any London UK DC goons; are there physcials copies of Mister Miracle? I'm looking on getting all the issues of the current run. Looks dope.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

For the type of comic it is, it seems to be selling crazy well.
https://twitter.com/thebigbang_/status/919548775441543168
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/10/15/bleeding-cool-bestseller-list-15th-october-2017-legacy-barely-leg-stand/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 16, 2017

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Tom King has done a couple Word Balloon interviews, and he seems like an all around great guy. His wife is a saint for being supporting when he decided to quit the CIA to write comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Mister Miracle is outselling 90% of Marvel for us. Legacy is a huge goddamned bust and retailers are loving livid.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Rhyno posted:

Mister Miracle is outselling 90% of Marvel for us. Legacy is a huge goddamned bust and retailers are loving livid.

DCYou 2.0? Also, what's Mister Miracle?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zoro posted:

Mister Miracle is a New god.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Zoro posted:

Character https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mister_Miracle
Current series https://www.comixology.com/Mister-Miracle-2017/comics-series/98093

A creation of Jack Kirby that's a part of his New Gods mythos.
Part of a child swap peace deal between the good guy and bad guy alien gods of New Genesis and Apokolips. While Orion, son of Darksied (bad guy) was brought up by the New Gods (good guys), Scott Free was raised in a hellish orphanage on Apokolips. He escaped and lives on Earth as a celebrity escape artist and superhero.
The current series is very strange and fractured, seemingly dealing with his PTSD, where we aren't quite sure what is real.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 16, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Rhyno posted:

How does that work? Legacy was the top-selling comic of the year so far, wasn't it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrianWilly posted:

How does that work? Legacy was the top-selling comic of the year so far, wasn't it?

Tell that to the thousands of unsold copies cluttering shops.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I assume Rhyno mean everything under the Legacy branding rather than the one special issue.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
I think its more people bought more expecting an increase in sales for Legacy, but no one who wasn't already buying has started buying so the net is a lot of unsold copies. Also, the lenticular covers required people to buy X copies as well so retailers who did that expecting them to sell got screwed over.

To be honest, variants are a loving stupid idea. Like, seriously, what fool would pay more for a comic with a different cover? I mean, who cares? I'm buying for a story about a character I like. It's disposable media that, while I'll put in a slipcover for safe keeping, will NEVER appreciate in value to a significant degree. I mean, if you really want that, then sure, but you're not going to sustain a business with gimmicks like that alone. I mean, seriously, that's a luxury item and the comic is expensive enough as is. Like, I accidentally picked up a variant cover for Legacy #1 till I noticed it was 60 bucks and put it back and bought the relatively cheap 5.99 one (should have been 2.99) because, objectively, what's the difference? The majority of stuff I buy is digital, anyway. As a luxury for those who really want it, I get it, but it's a niche thing.

Zoro fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 16, 2017

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
The one comic I double dip on variants it Sex Criminals, and that's because I love that comic so drat much that I don't mind throwing some more money at it.

Plus, they get some A+ artists to do them. :nws: anyway, despite being censored. This one :nws: too.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

BrianWilly posted:

Just a reminder that Marvel counts all shipped comics as "Sold." and is in the practice of spreading around an over-shipment to inflate numbers, since that allows them to claim they have the No.1 Market Share, and it is very important to Marvel that they have the No.1 Market Share.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P43KG8DeECs

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Autism Sneaks posted:

Tom King also has the most pro Twitter game next to Zdarsky. No slapfights, no mansplaining: just teases for books, jokes, and his kids playing with action figures to hilarious effect

Yeah I don't follow many comic people on Twitter but he's fantastic

https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/919645482871328769

His tweets about Batman v Elmer Fudd had me hyped for ages, and I was not disappointed.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Oct 16, 2017

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

BrianWilly posted:

The over shipped to maintain market share but this is really losing loads of money for retailers and probably for them next quarter.

DC is going to probably go for the kill soon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uncle Kitchener posted:

The over shipped to maintain market share but this is really losing loads of money for retailers and probably for them next quarter.

DC is going to probably go for the kill soon.

I have dozens of special requests for Doomsday Clock. We had two for Legacy #1. Sure, Wolverine brought people in and we sold a bunch bu we have tons left.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I've been out of comics by and large for a few years now. At first, I thought Doomsday clock was a lame Watchmen follow-up but after reading Flashpoint, DCU Rebirth, and The Button, am I wrong to be astounded that Geoff Johns has arguably been laying the groundwork for Doomsday Clock since 20-loving-11? I'm totally hyped for it now.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

SnatchRabbit posted:

I've been out of comics by and large for a few years now. At first, I thought Doomsday clock was a lame Watchmen follow-up but after reading Flashpoint, DCU Rebirth, and The Button, am I wrong to be astounded that Geoff Johns has arguably been laying the groundwork for Doomsday Clock since 20-loving-11? I'm totally hyped for it now.

I seriously doubt there was any kind of overarching plan, much less that those stories where specifically building to Doomsday Clock. Rumor has it Flashpoint was originally planned to exist solely as a Flash story, but then got inflated into a crossover event, and then the excuse for the reboot, which itself was a desperate and last ditch effort to improve sales after corporate came down on the comics division. Considering how Rebirth unceremoniously killed Pandora, the original in-story architect of the New 52, in order to make the Watchmen connection, I'm pretty sure it was a recent change in creative direction.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

glitchwraith posted:

I seriously doubt there was any kind of overarching plan, much less that those stories where specifically building to Doomsday Clock. Rumor has it Flashpoint was originally planned to exist solely as a Flash story, but then got inflated into a crossover event, and then the excuse for the reboot, which itself was a desperate and last ditch effort to improve sales after corporate came down on the comics division. Considering how Rebirth unceremoniously killed Pandora, the original in-story architect of the New 52, in order to make the Watchmen connection, I'm pretty sure it was a recent change in creative direction.

Pretty much this, and they couldn't even decide on how to make Superbro and SuperDad exist at the same time without supremely making it a convoluted mess. The annual done by Gleeson and Tomasi with Swamp Thing was SO much better than the Action Comics crossover whatever. It was really obvious that they're making this poo poo up as they go. There was even rumors going around that Johns put in the button during Rebirth with no explanation to give him time to asspull this whole thing.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
DiDio has openly admitted that the Watchmen reveal in Rebirth #1 was done mainly to get publicity for the relaunch, and Johns admitted in interviews when Doomsday Clock was announced that he didn't have an actual idea for a story spinning out of said reveal until late last year, almost six months after Rebirth #1 was published. So whatever one thinks of Doomsday Clock, it most definitely is not the culmination of many years of planning.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

New interview with Mark Russell on Snagglepuss
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dc-reviving-hanna-barberas-snagglepuss-as-gay-playwright-1048870

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

And January Solicits are up: https://www.newsarama.com/36968-dc-comics-january-2018-solicitations.html?utm_source=notification

Sideways, The Terrifics The Signal, Raven (2nd miniseries,) Snagglepuss and Motherlands (Vertigo) start
Swamp Thing Winter Special
40page Metal special called The Wild Hunt by Snyder, Tynion and Williamson with a bunch of artists
Superwoman ending and...
K. Perkins (Superwoman) writing Batwoman (one off?)
Mariko Tamaki writing New Super-Man (one off?)
Si Spurrier writing Suicide Squad (two off?)
James Robinson writing Trinity (by now we can accept this series as a rotating writers thing)
Frank Teri on Harley Quinn

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 16, 2017

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

I just realized DC is doing Spider-Man and Fantastic Four. It owns.

And Hulk and Black Widow lol.

Edit: JLA is going for another deep cut. Queen of Fables

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 16, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

New writer for New Super-Man: Mariko Tamaki

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Whoa, they're bringing Vanessa Kapatelis/Silver Swan back in WW. And it looks like Robinson is sticking around far longer than the five issues of his first arc.

Hmmmmmm~

I'm always so conflicted about this sort of news. It's always exciting to see forgotten but familiar characters come back, and always terrifying to see what a writer is going to do with them.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Roth posted:

New writer for New Super-Man: Mariko Tamaki

Is there any word this is ongoing? All of the new writers (except for Frank Teri) seem to be doing stories that only last the month.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

And January Solicits are up: https://www.newsarama.com/36968-dc-comics-january-2018-solicitations.html?utm_source=notification

Sideways, The Terrifics The Signal, Raven (2nd miniseries,) Snagglepuss and Motherlands (Vertigo) start
40page Metal special called The Wild Hunt by Snyder, Tynion and Williamson with a bunch of artists
Superwoman ending and...
James Robinson writing Trinity (by now we can accept this series as a rotating writers thing)

what part of DC's ongoing torment of Alan Moore is co-opting Tom Strong? :allears:

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Mr Hootington posted:

I just realized DC is doing Spider-Man and Fantastic Four. It owns.

And Hulk and Black Widow lol.

Edit: JLA is going for another deep cut. Queen of Fables

Considering Hulk and the Fantastic Four are coming back, it might have been poor timing for trying to undersell them on that. But, hey, I'll probably still pick their issue #1 and try them out.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Autism Sneaks posted:

what part of DC's ongoing torment of Alan Moore is co-opting Tom Strong? :allears:

If you're asking where that's happening, it's The Terrifics.

Are there new bi-monthly -> monthly downgrades here? I can't remember which we knew about previously.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

SUICIDE SQUAD #33
Written by SI SPURRIER
Art by FERNANDO PASARIN
Cover by EDDY BARROWS
Variant cover by WHILCE PORTACIO
Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
“The Chosen Juan” part one! When an apocalyptic new threat threatens the safety of Earth, the Suicide Squad is called into action—and they bring in a new member! But who is the mysterious Juan? And what are his powers? Is there more to him than meets the eye?
On sale JANUARY 10 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

SUICIDE SQUAD #34
Written by SI SPURRIER
Art by FERNANDO PASARIN
Cover by EDDY BARROWS
Variant cover by WHILCE PORTACIO
Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
“The Chosen Juan” finale! With Harley, Deadshot and Croc out of commission, one last convict stands between the bloodthirsty alien armada and the annihilation of the human race: Juan! But what hope does a petty criminal have against such an unstoppable force?
On sale JANUARY 24 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

The chosen Juan :raise:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That's almost enough to make me want to pick up Suicide Squad.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Superwoman ending and...

Holy poo poo that Superman solitation!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The chosen Juan :raise:

Dick Grayson's left buttcheek.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Are there new bi-monthly -> monthly downgrades here? I can't remember which we knew about previously.

I didn't know about Green Arrow until this so that bums me out considering it's my favorite DC book and one of the only ones besides maybe Detective and Superman (before the last few issues) which I think has worked as bi-monthly without sacrificing quality.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Dark Matter/New Age comics have vertical foldout covers.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/10/16/how-dc-comics-vertical-foldout-covers-for-new-age-of-dc-heroes-will-work/

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Teriffics is the only one of these Dark Matter books I'm remotely interested in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've seen some stupid gimmick covers before, that's easily immediately in the top two or three.

Roth posted:

The Teriffics is the only one of these Dark Matter books I'm remotely interested in

Well not only is it the only one with a decent concept, it's the only one with a solid creative team.