Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Did octranspo refund passes for their strike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Did octranspo refund passes for their strike?

Or YRT for that matter.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jimbozig posted:

Yeah, it's this. Unless this goes long enough to affect next semester somehow, the employer actually makes more money the longer the strike goes. They already have the money.

They don't even have to worry about PR, really. Since it's all Ontario colleges, it's not like kids looking for an education can go to a competitor. I suppose bad PR could potentially hurt them with international students, though.

Couldn't Ontario students go to a college that's not in Ontario? I mean, it would involve venturing further from the centre of the known universe -- Toronto -- but I daresay it's possible!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shaking my head at all those students in Ottawa who could easily move to another province mid-semester to transfer schools who just don't wanna because it would mean being farther away from Toronto.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PT6A posted:

Couldn't Ontario students go to a college that's not in Ontario? I mean, it would involve venturing further from the centre of the known universe -- Toronto -- but I daresay it's possible!

You can't be serious. It's a lot more expensive to go away for school and a lot of people can't afford it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It's as easy as just showing up in another province on Monday, lazy loving students.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

CLAM DOWN posted:

You can't be serious.

I'm pretty sure he's not.

Never mind.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 16, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Lobok posted:

Shaking my head at all those students in Ottawa who could easily move to another province mid-semester to transfer schools who just don't wanna because it would mean being farther away from Toronto.

Well, students who are already enrolled have no options to move -- either within the province or outside it -- for the remainder of the semester, so it makes no difference how many colleges are involved. The quote I was responding to:

Jimbozig posted:

They don't even have to worry about PR, really. Since it's all Ontario colleges, it's not like kids looking for an education can go to a competitor. I suppose bad PR could potentially hurt them with international students, though.

People who are looking for an education -- i.e. considering where to go -- absolutely can choose an institution outside Ontario, as can current students in Ontario if they're willing to give up half a semester (which is hardly unthinkable).

I personally don't think it would be an appropriate reaction to this strike to transfer schools, or to avoid considering an Ontario school just because this has happened, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

You can't be serious. It's a lot more expensive to go away for school and a lot of people can't afford it.

No, I was serious, but I admittedly didn't consider people living at home while going to university because I didn't do that, and all of the people I hung out with at university didn't do that either, and I din't consider living at home when I was selecting a university because I was planning to move out whether I stayed in Calgary or not. You make a fair point that I overlooked because of my particular experience.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PT6A posted:

No, I was serious, but I admittedly didn't consider people living at home while going to university because I didn't do that, and all of the people I hung out with at university didn't do that either, and I din't consider living at home when I was selecting a university because I was planning to move out whether I stayed in Calgary or not. You make a fair point that I overlooked because of my particular experience.

I lived a life of privilege and luxury, it never occurred to me that there might be poor people attending university.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PT6A posted:

Yeah why don't those students completely uproot themselves

PT6A posted:

Not considering the circumstances of other people seems to be a hallmark of your posting

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Yeah, like my friend who traveled from Ft. McMurray to attend college in Ontario and now he's sitting around lol

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

I lived a life of privilege and luxury, it never occurred to me that there might be poor people attending university.

Yeah I'm sure everyone living in the dorms or sharing a flat in the student ghetto was living a life of unparalleled luxury. Or maybe they just didn't have the luxury of having a decent post-secondary institution within commuting distance of where their parents live, so they had no choice but to move.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

In other strike news, there's a union meeting tomorrow for all the GM workers in ingersoll, where they will probably vote to end the strike and agree to whatever deal was made. Probably going back to work at midnight tomorrow

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
So I decided to google "Alberta Party" and click the "news" thinger, and this stuff came up:

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/politics/paula-simons-can-fairy-tale-hopes-for-albertas-political-centre-come-true

http://calgaryherald.com/news/politics/calgary-mla-karen-mcpherson-leaves-ndp-caucus-to-sit-as-independent

Maybe we'll see some poo poo get figured out, and they can get official party status? I'd be alright with that.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I would like to thank my vaguely racist grandmother for letting me live with her while I went to university. I am not drowning in debt.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

T.C. posted:

That... doesn't seem unreasonable? Generally, if you were recieving services from an entity that stopped being able to supply those services, you'd expect to not pay? That's how it would work if you were being supplied services from a private company that was shut down due to a strike.

If fees aren't discounted, the school has a financial benefit from the strike...

The thing is that service hasn't been denied yet. If the students don't get to finish the semester, sure, but this stuff about DAILY REFUNDS STUDENTS' RIGHTS is complete bullshit. Also GET BACK ON THE LINES AND WORK FOR US. It's just a bunch of entitled Young Conservatives not thinking of anyone besides themselves as usual.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

PT6A posted:

Yeah I'm sure everyone living in the dorms or sharing a flat in the student ghetto was living a life of unparalleled luxury. Or maybe they just didn't have the luxury of having a decent post-secondary institution within commuting distance of where their parents live, so they had no choice but to move.

You know that some people literally can't afford living away from home while not working, no matter how crummy the dorm?

How autistic are you that you can't imagine how any situation other than yours is possible?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can't imagine why a bunch of youths growing up in a society where they're saddled with debt and the prospect of owning a home with a devalued degree is a pipe dream might be resentful.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Arivia posted:

The thing is that service hasn't been denied yet. If the students don't get to finish the semester, sure, but this stuff about DAILY REFUNDS STUDENTS' RIGHTS is complete bullshit. Also GET BACK ON THE LINES AND WORK FOR US. It's just a bunch of entitled Young Conservatives not thinking of anyone besides themselves as usual.

Those students will likely be expected to stay up to date on their classes without having lectures.

At that point they are being partially denied, yeah.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One of my professor's missed one class at the start of this semester, and we're still trying to catch up to where we should be in the curriculum. A strike is going to throw schedules into chaos.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Also if the strike goes on for a while and you're an international student I hope you didn't make flight plans for winter or spring because you can go gently caress yourself

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
lmao Bill Morneau is a bitchboi

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/small-business-tax-1.4356229

quote:

Ottawa will announce plans today to cut the small business tax rate from 10.5 per cent to nine per cent on Monday, CBC News has confirmed, as it attempts to quell a backlash to proposed tax reforms that have stung the Trudeau government.

The new plan was presented at a national caucus meeting Monday morning.

Finance Minister Bill Morneau's move to reduce the tax rate paid by small businesses is aimed at deflecting criticism of proposed tax reforms that have angered small business owners, who said the changes would hurt the same middle-class Canadians the government is purporting to help. Some premiers and Liberal backbenchers also objected to the reforms.

Morneau will also announce changes to the package of tax reforms he first announced this summer.

"We've got a big week of rollouts. Looking forward to it," said Prime Minister Justin Trudeau heading into the caucus meeting in Ottawa.

The Liberals will be dripping out news of the tweaks throughout the week. The first formal announcement will happen at an Italian restaurant in Stouffville, Ont., at 11:30 a.m. ET.

The news of the tax rate cut was first reported by CTV and TVA Sunday night.

All three major parties pledged to cut the small-business tax rate in the run-up to the last election, and the previous Conservative government had begun cutting it in its last budget.

In their platform the Liberals said as they reduced the tax rate they would close loopholes that allowed the wealthy to use incorporation as a small business to unfairly reduce their income tax burden.

In their first budge the Liberals froze the rate at 10.5 per cent.

The Conservative Party is already going after the Liberals for what they're framing as a flip flop on the small business tax cut.

"Trudeau to announce he is cancelling his cancellation of the small business tax cut," tweeted shadow finance critic Pierre Poilievre on Monday morning.

The proposals were unveiled in mid-July, but it took about a month for the backlash to materialize. Since then, the Liberals' popularity has taken a hit in some public opinion polls.

The attacks from Conservatives were bolstered by news that, for two years, Morneau failed to disclose to the federal ethics commissioner that he and his wife are partners in a private company that owns a family villa in southern France.

Morneau had already publicly suggested that all three pillars of the Liberals' tax reform plan could see adjustments.

The government's original plan included restrictions on "income sprinkling" — the practice of transferring income from a business owner to a child or spouse who would be taxed at a lower rate. It also proposed limits on the use of private corporations to make passive investments that are unrelated to the company and would curb the ability of business owners to convert regular income of a corporation into capital gains.

Backbenchers emerged from the meeting saying they feel satisfied that the government has listened to their concerns, although they were not given details of the changes that are to be unveiled in a series of announcements later in the week.

"I feel very, very positive. For the first time in a couple months, I've got a bit of a smile on my face," said Saint John MP Wayne Long, who was kicked off two Commons committees for voting against the government earlier this month on a Conservative motion calling for further consultations on the proposed reforms.

"There wasn't a lot of specifics today, but I'm very, very confident by certainly the tone and messaging of the minister that a lot of these concerns ... will be addressed."

The rollout of the tax reform proposals has been a communications disaster for the government, in part because backbenchers were not consulted before the original announcement, Long suggested.

"I'm hoping that we can all learn from this and move forward as a team ... When everybody on the team feels they're part of the team, that's what makes a winning team and I think we've turned a corner on that."

Edmonton MP Randy Boissonnault, who had apologized to small business owners for the implied message that they're tax cheats, said he's satisfied there has been a "change in tone already."

"The finance minister has listened. Caucus has been involved and heard very loudly," he said, adding that business owners have also been heard.

​On Friday, Morneau acknowledged that the government has to do a better job of reassuring middle-class Canadians that they won't be hurt by the proposals.

"The fact that farmers won't be impacted, we need to make that clear," he said.

"The fact that, you know, small businesses will be able to continue to invest in their business, which is what we want, and won't be worried about passing their business to the next generation, we're going to communicate that clearly."

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 26, 2018

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Remind me why a small business tax rate exists in the first place?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I think you can learn a lot about the Liberal party from this. The same back benchers who breathed a quiet sigh of relief when Trudeau abandoned his signature election promise were in open revolt about some very mild and common sense changes to the small business tax code.

This is how organized interests and class sympathy can win out even though the reforms have the support of at least half the country (and more than half of the people who actually voted Liberal) and have been pushed for many years by the civil service.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Remind me why a small business tax rate exists in the first place?

I assume for the same reason any progressive taxation exists.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

PT6A posted:

I assume

We could replace everything you post with these two words.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 26, 2018

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Helsing posted:

I think you can learn a lot about the Liberal party from this. The same back benchers who breathed a quiet sigh of relief when Trudeau abandoned his signature election promise were in open revolt about some very mild and common sense changes to the small business tax code.

This is how organized interests and class sympathy can win out even though the reforms have the support of at least half the country (and more than half of the people who actually voted Liberal) and have been pushed for many years by the civil service.

Who are these backbenchers? Can you name some names?

If Canada is doomed to neoliberal mediocrity, I would at least like to put a face to it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Morroque posted:

If Canada is doomed to neoliberal mediocrity, I would at least like to put a face to it.

Just picture a fat 65 year old white guy.

chances are reality won't vary much from your mental image.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Morroque posted:

Wayne Long for one

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
What a surprise that suddenly the plan changed after Angus Reid showed the Cons and Libs in a dead heat

http://angusreid.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/2017.10.12-Trudeau-Midterm.pdf

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Morroque posted:

like all the newly elected liberals that eeked out victories over long held conservative or ndp ridings in the last election

they dont want to lose their jobs next election

randeep sarai and stephen fuhr are two examples

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

DariusLikewise posted:

What a surprise that suddenly the plan changed after Angus Reid showed the Cons and Libs in a dead heat

Well, poo poo. I'm no fan of Trudeau, but I really don't want to have to deal with living in Prime Minister Andrew Scheer's Canada.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Falstaff posted:

Well, poo poo. I'm no fan of Trudeau, but I really don't want to have to deal with living in Prime Minister Andrew Scheer's Canada.

The main policy differences being....?

e: They're both parties that reflect the interests of the business class. See: Morneau backing down on the business tax cut.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DariusLikewise posted:

The actual proposed changes are favoured by a majority of people in that same poll:

When asked in general terms about the impact of Trudeau's tax policies (all taken together over the course of his time in office) then people get really negative, but that probably says more about the general sloppiness of Liberal policy, the poor roll out of these changes, and the fact that normally restive Liberal back benchers suddenly, for the first and most likely last time, discovered their spines the second the government actually tried to tax rich professionals in a meaningful way.

And here's a poll that actually breaks down support and opposition for the proposed tax changes by party:

Notice how concentrated opposition is within the Conservative party, i.e. the party which also happens to have the largest percentage of voters who don't even list a second choice when asked who else they would vote for (i.e. voters who are for all intents and purposes unflippable).

This is just the Liberals bowing down to the one part of the population they actually care about : rich people.

A decline in support is predictable at this point in any government's agenda, and Trudeau has broken a lot of promises and come off as increasingly feckless so we shouldn't be surprised that a leader who set very high expectations is slowly declining in popularity (though Trudeau continue's to outperform his party in personal approval). We've also been seeing a lot of controversial headlines about everything from NAFTA to legal weed to electoral reform to pipe line construction.

The idea that this actually popular policy that seems to have super majority support among Liberal voters is somehow the cause of Trudeau's polling decline is a product of our terrible media which almost exclusively exists to express the opinions of affluent white collar assholes, and to make it appear that their particular views actually have way more support than they do.

Morroque posted:

All of them?

They're Liberals, what do you expect?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
for a real laugh you can search the house of commons members by profession and take a look at how many of the liberal caucus were in professions that would be affected by these tax changes and so have former colleagues and friends who will be affected by the changes:

https://lop.parl.ca/ParlInfo/Lists/...OccupationType=

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Reince Penis posted:

The main policy differences being....?

e: They're both parties that reflect the interests of the business class. See: Morneau backing down on the business tax cut.

Social conservatism vs. not? Seems like a biggish distinction to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

Social conservatism vs. not? Seems like a biggish distinction to me.

The Conservatives were just in power for 9 years, holding a majority for 6 of those IIRC.

What would you consider to be the social conservative policies they enacted?