Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Leveling gear is good in theory but also might kill a lot of the fun of adapting to and using weird gear you find while you level.

Though I guess since uniques don't exist anymore that was already kind of a thing anyway

I love leveling gear sets in MMOs because gear in those is obnoxious to deal with. I don't really think they belong in a Diablo type game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Kelp Plankton posted:

Leveling gear is good in theory but also might kill a lot of the fun of adapting to and using weird gear you find while you level.

Though I guess since uniques don't exist anymore that was already kind of a thing anyway

I love leveling gear sets in MMOs because gear in those is obnoxious to deal with. I don't really think they belong in a Diablo type game.
i do understand this, and i agree. the process of upgrading my gear is part of what i like about the leveling process

but you still got your regular prestiges, and you don't have to use the gear, and if i am gonna level a character that many times in order to get a loot box every 5 trips to 60, i would rather make that process as fast as possible so i appreciate them giving me the option.

...also in marvel heroes, the only real variety from gear while leveling is somewhat determining which of that character's 3 builds you use

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
So does this Omega prestige system do away with the normal green/blue/...cosmic prestiges? Or you have to get to cosmic 60 and then start omega prestiging?

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Kelp Plankton posted:

Heirloom gear failed to kill WoW I'm sure it'll be fine.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

User posted:

Heirloom gear failed to kill WoW I'm sure it'll be fine.

im sure this unrelated game in a different genre doing the same thing means it will work here too, given the spotless track record of decisions made by hit developer gazillion games company

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Kelp Plankton posted:

im sure this unrelated game in a different genre doing the same thing means it will work here too, given the spotless track record of decisions made by hit developer gazillion games company

I'm pretty amused anyone is pretending that the most exciting part of prestiging is seeing just how lovely the unique that just dropped is. Get real we all know that for leveling IP is the primary factor.

edit: I'd love the theoretical marvel superhero game where there are build changing uniques that alter the cosmic leveling experience in a fun and interesting way, but that has never existed.

User fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 14, 2017

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
I was thinking about this game earlier and do you guys remember that one dude who claimed to be playing MH like 23 hours a day while he was in a mental hospital? That was weird.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

marvel heroes is an ARPG, not a WoW clone. the dev team should not be aspiring to make gear more generic and interchangeable

its a loot chase game. its been a loot chase game since day 1. was it the best loot chase game? no, at no point was it amazing. but it was good for a while. and its been getting steadily worse.

heirloom gear is a dumb thing to put in a game based around loot drops, even if its just there so you can level up faster to earn Special Loot Drop Boxes or whatever.

i appreciate the thought behind it, but the fact that they designed a system and then went "well theres problems with the system we made, so here's some stuff to make it suck less" instead of fixing the actual system's problems tells you a lot about how gazillion works these days. and how they've been functioning for a while.

its just more disappointing, boring stuff being stuffed into a game that needs devs that care more about it and the playerbase it's been losing for a long time

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Platypus Farm posted:

I was thinking about this game earlier and do you guys remember that one dude who claimed to be playing MH like 23 hours a day while he was in a mental hospital? That was weird.

was this the rando who goons kept inviting to groot force despite getting kicked out for being awful

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

davebo posted:

So does this Omega prestige system do away with the normal green/blue/...cosmic prestiges? Or you have to get to cosmic 60 and then start omega prestiging?
It's the latter. Although from what I gather prestige XP works differently on consoles (blue through red require gradually more experience but cosmic requires less, or something like that?) and might be changed thus on PC as well. Maybe.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

MMAgCh posted:

It's the latter. Although from what I gather prestige XP works differently on consoles (blue through red require gradually more experience but cosmic requires less, or something like that?) and might be changed thus on PC as well. Maybe.
on console, each prestige is 25% more xp than the previous level, no "cosmic" level. level to 60, prestige 6 times, then you can omega prestige (once you've farmed the stuff to omega a guy)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

cams posted:

the reward being the ability to grind for items that are usually only available through spending money,
Looking forward to one year in when they try to remove prestigious loot boxes because only a small margin of people are buying them but the playerbase kicks up such a stink they have to reboot the game for smart tvs in order to stay financially afloat.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

I am convinced people only prestiged because there was gently caress all to do in the game, when you play a lot, since Gaz adds new content in the form of compelling new items and zones at a glacial pace, if at all.

This all feels like a poorly thought out attempt at working around not increasing the level cap, especially now that they are adding a power factor to prestiging. Although I suppose it is pretty clever in the short term, if they are trying to avoid more work.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i only prestiged because it'd get me one third of the way to a new costume and that was actually a fun kind of lootbox

so of course it had to go

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

im excited for the next content update where they just remove the gear altogether and i can just level the same character 200x over without having to pick anything up

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

wizard on a water slide posted:

huh I haven't thought about this game I played a lot of in a while I wonder wh

:allbuttons:

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
So, a friend has been keeping me kinda posted on the dumb poo poo Gaz is doing lately, but I imagine there's some things he didn't bother to mention or whatever. What, exactly, has been going on since I stopped playing like right around the time Punisher got his stupid van.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
We finally get to drive the van but it's headed straight for a cliff.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Asros posts on twitter

https://twitter.com/Asros/status/919651274873716736

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lmbo of course he got scammed by the Roberts.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

this is more damming than him hating infinite movement powers

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Of course he's a star citizen backer.

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

On the subject of Asros' intelligence:

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

lmao asros

HoldMyOwn
Mar 9, 2016
It's funny people call me fat, but my scale data says I am only big boned.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Being fat is good. You’re helping your country use up their food supply which stimulates the economy. Awesome job.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

I worry that when I periodically log into this game to see if it's turning back around that someone is going to be watching the steam game chart at that time and think "Oh, I better check it out too" and then a cascade of people logging into this poo poo game starts and they somehow get money for it.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

use the stand-alone launcher its the only ethical choice

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I just downloaded this out of curiosity, have I made a terrible mistake

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
nah, it's fine. we've just run out of game and the dev is increasingly slack about adding any more.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

The OP says I can unlock the first hero for free and I should get a bunch of ES on the second day. Neither of those two things have happened so far as I can tell, so I'm just goofing around at the level 10 cap. I've got like 415 ES which is way short of what I need to unlock someone. Did they change it or have I missed something?

edit: oh, the heroes cost different amounts and the one I want is 600. Sigh. Is there any way to get them quickly or am I going to be locked out of my first character choice?

Zephro fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Oct 23, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

They changed it during an overhaul to be confusing and unsatisfying.

You used to just click and unlock the first guy, but now they reward you with 400 splinters after doing the 'prologue' to try and get you to started on a mid-priced hero. Apparently after 7 days logging in they'll give you another 200 so you can buy a cheap hero, but if the one you really want in the first place is in the top-tier price range then you have to basically just fart around until you get those bonus splinters to afford it.

Of course you could just give them money, but why would you do that when they haven't tricked you into mentally investing in their free-to-play system yet.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Ghostlight posted:

They changed it during an overhaul to be confusing and unsatisfying.

You used to just click and unlock the first guy, but now they reward you with 400 splinters after doing the 'prologue' to try and get you to started on a mid-priced hero. Apparently after 7 days logging in they'll give you another 200 so you can buy a cheap hero, but if the one you really want in the first place is in the top-tier price range then you have to basically just fart around until you get those bonus splinters to afford it.
Thanks, that's helpful. Does price tier correlate in any way with power tier? Ie are the best heroes the most expensive? Or is it just the most popular ones from the films?

quote:

Of course you could just give them money, but why would you do that when they haven't tricked you into mentally investing in their free-to-play system yet.
Yeah, I think they're going to need a bit longer than two days before they start shaking me down for cash, heh.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Price is not connected to power.

It was initially just popularity but it's hard to say there's any real rhyme or reason because they've also stated it was a factor of how much 'work' went into a character - like, Taskmaster (at least when introduced) was just a collection of skills and animations from other existing heroes so he was 200 splinters, and Doctor Strange came in at 600 because he had a huge amount of flashy special effects over the other existing heroes. But then all of the most recent ones are priced at 400 whether they were delivered weeks late due to completely new game mechanics being introduced or just weeks after the last release complete with reported bugs.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Ghostlight posted:

Price is not connected to power.

It was initially just popularity but it's hard to say there's any real rhyme or reason because they've also stated it was a factor of how much 'work' went into a character - like, Taskmaster (at least when introduced) was just a collection of skills and animations from other existing heroes so he was 200 splinters, and Doctor Strange came in at 600 because he had a huge amount of flashy special effects over the other existing heroes. But then all of the most recent ones are priced at 400 whether they were delivered weeks late due to completely new game mechanics being introduced or just weeks after the last release complete with reported bugs.
OK, thanks. If I can't start with Rogue (which was my original plan), any recommendations for a noob-friendly-but-non-terrible 400 or 200 point hero?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

My shortlist of characters I really enjoy in the lower brackets is:

X-23 - flippy mobile melee
Cyclops - ranged lasers forever, whether you like holding the button down or pianoing keys
Blade - good choices between ranged and melee and his bloodthirst mechanic is better than most
Juggernaut - nothing stops him
Magneto - ranged that can guarantee critical hits on his biggest hits and a great voice actor
Moonknight - same qualifications as Blade except his mechanic is an immortality button
Loki - I've only played him ranged, but he's good with a wide range of skills and interactions
Cable - he shoots mind bullets, or I guess you can use some stupid telepathic halberd

The ones I would suggest to avoid are:

Colossus - he's a basic melee fighter who for some reason you can spec to do less damage against more difficult enemies.
Luke Cage - basic brawler, but for reason during his overhaul old bugs were reintroduced and a number of spec traps

Those are just based on who I play because while I personally think that, for example, Wolverine is an immobile melee character with impotent aoe in a game where you need to kill all the guys all the time, a number of the supergroup really like him and it doesn't make him a bad starting choice.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

Those are just based on who I play because while I personally think that, for example, Wolverine is an immobile melee character with impotent aoe in a game where you need to kill all the guys all the time, a number of the supergroup really like him and it doesn't make him a bad starting choice.

I think Wolverine is great and you can do no wrong by choosing her. Permasig is still working right?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

Cable - he shoots mind bullets, or I guess you can use some stupid telepathic halberd

melee cable is trash at level cap but absolutely fun as hell while leveling

cams
Mar 28, 2003

BabyFur Denny posted:

I think Wolverine is great and you can do no wrong by choosing her. Permasig is still working right?
if you mean the cosmic that resets the cooldown on movement skills, it got nerfed (at least on console) to have a 60 second cooldown. so yeah, ruined.

x23 is one of my favorite characters in this game, and i tend to primarily play melee. all 3 of her builds (bleed, movement, cooldown) are fun and viable. she's my most wanted character for the console version atm. highly reccomend.

boyverine sux

biggest thing that keeps me coming back to this game is how fun and rewarding i find melee combat. part of the reason i only lasted a couple weeks in poe is that very little of it feels like it has impact. it is dumb but i get some visceral pleasure from doing a crashdown strike in the middle of a bunch of mooks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

ps if you get x23 and play without her "all new all different" costume, you have failrd and should give gaz more money.