Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DalaranJ posted:

drat, I completely forgot this was a thing before 3.5 and no longer have access to that book. Were these tables any use? Is there a PDF version of this book yet?

The 3.0 and the 3.5 DMG are something like 90% the same, save formatting and ordering of content. The biggest change is that the 3.0 random monster tables have a better tendency to produce "out-of-depth" monsters because the designers were still operating on a "throwback" mentality that random encounters should be more like old-school D&D, but that hardly matters if your target is generic content generation.

And no, the 3.0 DMG is not officially commercially available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Devorum posted:

So I've been invited to a 2E PbE game. The party is a F/M, Bard, and C/R.

It's been 17 years or so since I messed with 2E...is there any glaring flaw with making an Illusionist/Thief to join this group?

Just that illusion spells are the most most GM may I spells in classic D&D. What you get from them is directly proportional to what your DM is willing to let you get away with. Also, Thieves are just kind of bad, though at least you can laser focus on skills you want in 2nd edition rather than being bad at everything.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Devorum posted:

So I've been invited to a 2E PbE game. The party is a F/M, Bard, and C/R.

It's been 17 years or so since I messed with 2E...is there any glaring flaw with making an Illusionist/Thief to join this group?

What level are you starting at?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Lightning Lord posted:

What level are you starting at?

9 for single class, 8/8 or 7/7/7 for MC.

Game has been going a while from what I gather.

I'm also considering a specialty Priest. Possibly a F/Priest of Clangeddon

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

At those levels I say go for it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
So, I've come upon a system where spells are generated from a word table, and then ruled in play. What are the pros and cons of such a system? (I have a really strong opinion about this but I don't want to bias the response yet.)

I can elaborate on how the system works if needed.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's kinda cool in the sense that you give people freedom to "interpret" the spell as it comes up, but it can be tricky when people try to "game" the interpretation and you have to slap them down.

When I ran a Basic D&D oneshot, I just pasted the names of the spells to the Magic-User player and figured we'd work out what those things meant at the table, and that she'd get the correct impressions via cultural osmosis.

At one point, she cast "Hold Portal" thinking that it was some kind of teleportation spell, as in she could conjure a Portal to somewhere else. I let it ride, and it's not like she was deliberately trying to "min-max", but it could happen that the interpretation is more powerful than you might intend, and then you'll have to roll with it.

Personally, I'd do it again.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

One time I DMed AD&D 2nd ed for a player who'd been playing D&D for years and he managed to reinvent "turn undead". Took about 10 minutes for the table to unpick what the gently caress he was talking about when he tried to use it out of the context of "I'm going to make the skeletons run away" because his idea was so incredibly off-base that everyone was talking past each other.

He'd never played a cleric before and apparently hadn't really been paying attention when turn undead came up before in games, so he'd somehow come to the conclusion that the cleric temporarily turned into some kind of terrifying undead version of itself which would cause opponents to run away. He'd never noticed that other cleric players only ever used the ability on undead opponents and despite being a fan of old vampire stories had apparently never made the connection from "use your holy symbol to turn undead (away)" to "wave a crucifix at a vampie and it backs off".

I mean... sure, I guess? Let's go with that then. But how did you mess this up?

The dude was not trying to game the system, but I guess that's the sort of thing you'd have to deal with if you were randomly making spells out of a word list.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 12, 2017

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

AlphaDog posted:

One time I DMed AD&D 2nd ed for a player who'd been playing D&D for years and he managed to reinvent "turn undead". Took about 10 minutes for the table to unpick what the gently caress he was talking about when he tried to use it out of the context of "I'm going to make the skeletons run away" because his idea was so incredibly off-base that everyone was talking past each other.

He'd never played a cleric before and apparently hadn't really been paying attention when turn undead came up before in games, so he'd somehow come to the conclusion that the cleric temporarily turned into some kind of terrifying undead version of itself which would cause opponents to run away. He'd never noticed that other cleric players only ever used the ability on undead opponents and despite being a fan of old vampire stories had apparently never made the connection from "use your holy symbol to turn undead (away)" to "wave a crucifix at a vampie and it backs off".

I mean... sure, I guess? Let's go with that then. But how did you mess this up?

The dude was not trying to game the system, but I guess that's the sort of thing you'd have to deal with if you were randomly making spells out of a word list.

That's loving fantastic!

It's been staring right at me for 25 years, but I never thought of "turn undead" as "turn (into) undead", even though that's probably the more obvious interpretation.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

A Strange Aeon posted:

...even though that's probably the more obvious interpretation.

I can see how the name of the ability is open to interpretation, and I can't blame anyone who skipped and skimmed through the AD&D 1/2e books and missed stuff.

But the guy started on Menzter Basic and had played that, 1e, and 2e, for around 4 years. I just don't see how it happened.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 12, 2017

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
They don’t call it rebuke undead now for nothing.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The only place in D&D I can think of which uses "rebuke undead" is the evil version of turn undead in 3.x.

Does it appear elsewhere as well?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

All undead affected must rotate 360 degrees (clockwise) each round for as long as the cleric holds their holy symbol up.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Rewind undead.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Turnt Undead

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
An RPG where the DM is the Djinn Master and the only mechanic is that whatever you try to tell them you're doing, they'll interpret in the worst possible fashion.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Megazver posted:

An RPG where the DM is the Djinn Master and the only mechanic is that whatever you try to tell them you're doing, they'll interpret in the worst possible fashion.

Haha, that'd make a really funny comic. Would be a nightmare in reality!

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

A Strange Aeon posted:

Well, it´s not that far of from how most antagonistic GMs apparently thought the game was supposed to go, now is it?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

A Strange Aeon posted:

Knights of the Dinner Table (sometimes)

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Finally getting onto the DCC/MCC train; any essential products aside from the core books?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Banana Man posted:

Finally getting onto the DCC/MCC train; any essential products aside from the core books?
A set of funny dice.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Banana Man posted:

Harvey Stroh's modules are the best ones, or so I hear.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Banana Man posted:

If you have some goofy dice, you've got all you need! There's nothing else I'd really call essential. But there are other products that might interest you. The ones I'm listing are just examples of what's out there:

Goodman's line of modules are all pretty good, there aren't really any terrible clunkers there. Some are better than others but generally they'll all have something worth taking a look at. If you like Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories, Goodman kickstarted a boxed set that adapts that earlier this year. It's not out yet, but keep an eye out for it. They're also going to do one for Jack Vance's Dying Earth. Most of the modules can easily be the basis for an entire campaign or setting, but particularly the boxed sets Peril on the Purple Planet and the Chained Coffin, although Journey to the Center of Aereth comes close. If you're wondering why it starts at #66, it's because before the RPG, Dungeon Crawl Classics was a line of modules for 3.5 and 4e D&D. The ".5" adventures are all adaptions of those old modules to DCC RPG.

While the official modules often have extra stuff like new patrons or spells, traditional supplement types like settings and more character options are all third party content. If you're looking for a setting, there's some interesting options. Transylvanian Adventures is Gothic horror, Hubris is weird fantasy sword & sorcery, Drongo is weird planetary romance fantasy, with psionics rules. There's also some supplemental books like Angels, Daemons & Beings Between, that has extra patrons (there's a second volume being kickstarted right now) Liber Arcanum, which has extra spells and patrons, and Critters, Creatures, & Denizens, which is basically a monster book, although it has stuff like rules for mutations.

There's a ton of tools on the Purple Sorcerer's site, including character generators, an app that you can use to look up the rules and roll dice, etc. Also for extra classes, this guy's blog is handy, as he's made a nice table that has pretty much every third party class and where to locate them.

Oh, and I just discovered this blog while searching for the links for this effortpost, http://dcctreasures.blogspot.com/ is aiming to be a review dump for every DCC product, although it's not comprehensive yet. Looking over it, there's a ton of stuff I just plain forgot, like the Gongfarmer's Almanacs, which are these big annual books that have adventures, new classes, spells, etc and are available in PDF form for free.

It's also easy enough to adapt content from D&D or even other RPGs. I ran a pretty successful Dark Sun mini-campaign using DCC, it fit pretty well.

All that being said I want to repeat that none of this is essential, I just thought you'd like to know what's out there in DCC world. Forgive me if this is overwhelming! All you really need to play are the corebooks, dice, friends and your imagination.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Oct 14, 2017

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Thanks for the posts. Jesus h that's a lot of stuff.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I would get some dice and start with Sailors on the Starless Sea and go from there

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
I'm thinking about running a stonehell dungeon campaign for folks at work but it's notably lacking in a "home base" kinda of place. I am both incredibly lazy and uselessly self-critical and if I make one myself I'll get bogged down and never run the game. Are there any good pre-made home base type towns/villages for labyrinth lord? There doesn't even really need to be any adventures associated with it, just the town will do. Having POD would be a plus.

If push comes to shove I might use this as an excuse to buy Barrowmaze/Archaia/Dwimmermount lol

VacuumJockey
Jun 6, 2011

by R. Guyovich
If you have $5, get this. You'll only need the map and the pages covering Threshold - the rest is one of the best low-level campaigns ever written for D&D, and can easily be discarded or broken up for parts

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Frank Mentzer

https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/920489843821486080

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Unless you have a hard-on for esoteric rules, Mentzer D&D is the best D&D. There are some things missing from B/X that I liked, but the writing and editing was the nadir of the series when it came to learning the game and I will contend the only edition you can play rules as written.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, Mentzer's been outed as a skeevy rear end in a top hat, but that doesn't necessarily take away from one's ability to engage with Mentzer's version* of BD&D.

I just wouldn't patronize his new Kickstarter.

* (and if it does, there's always Moldvay's version)

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Just use Rules Cyclopedia.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah, Mentzer's been outed as a skeevy rear end in a top hat, but that doesn't necessarily take away from one's ability to engage with Mentzer's version* of BD&D.

I just wouldn't patronize his new Kickstarter.

* (and if it does, there's always Moldvay's version)
Hadn't clicked the twit before posting.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lightning Lord posted:

If you have some goofy dice, you've got all you need! There's nothing else I'd really call essential. But there are other products that might interest you. The ones I'm listing are just examples of what's out there:

Goodman's line of modules are all pretty good, there aren't really any terrible clunkers there. Some are better than others but generally they'll all have something worth taking a look at. If you like Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories, Goodman kickstarted a boxed set that adapts that earlier this year. It's not out yet, but keep an eye out for it. They're also going to do one for Jack Vance's Dying Earth. Most of the modules can easily be the basis for an entire campaign or setting, but particularly the boxed sets Peril on the Purple Planet and the Chained Coffin, although Journey to the Center of Aereth comes close. If you're wondering why it starts at #66, it's because before the RPG, Dungeon Crawl Classics was a line of modules for 3.5 and 4e D&D. The ".5" adventures are all adaptions of those old modules to DCC RPG.

While the official modules often have extra stuff like new patrons or spells, traditional supplement types like settings and more character options are all third party content. If you're looking for a setting, there's some interesting options. Transylvanian Adventures is Gothic horror, Hubris is weird fantasy sword & sorcery, Drongo is weird planetary romance fantasy, with psionics rules. There's also some supplemental books like Angels, Daemons & Beings Between, that has extra patrons (there's a second volume being kickstarted right now) Liber Arcanum, which has extra spells and patrons, and Critters, Creatures, & Denizens, which is basically a monster book, although it has stuff like rules for mutations.

There's a ton of tools on the Purple Sorcerer's site, including character generators, an app that you can use to look up the rules and roll dice, etc. Also for extra classes, this guy's blog is handy, as he's made a nice table that has pretty much every third party class and where to locate them.

Oh, and I just discovered this blog while searching for the links for this effortpost, http://dcctreasures.blogspot.com/ is aiming to be a review dump for every DCC product, although it's not comprehensive yet. Looking over it, there's a ton of stuff I just plain forgot, like the Gongfarmer's Almanacs, which are these big annual books that have adventures, new classes, spells, etc and are available in PDF form for free.

It's also easy enough to adapt content from D&D or even other RPGs. I ran a pretty successful Dark Sun mini-campaign using DCC, it fit pretty well.

All that being said I want to repeat that none of this is essential, I just thought you'd like to know what's out there in DCC world. Forgive me if this is overwhelming! All you really need to play are the corebooks, dice, friends and your imagination.

Quoting cause it's all true.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

gradenko_2000 posted:

(and if it does, there's always Moldvay's version)

I would definitely run Moldvay D&D if I were going to run Basic D&D for some reason.

Mostly because of how much I love that goofy-rear end dragon on the Red Book.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

My copy of AS&SH came today. It's a gigantic book, and really more complete than any other OSR core book I've seen. I need to dig into it more but I really like the sub classes at first glance. Not using ascending AC is a negative for my group. The book is absolutely full of artwork from the best artists in the OSR, and is really excellently laid out. Really what I want from it is a very pulpy feel, like DCC, but so far it looks more like a more advanced AD&D, which is cool too, as a more crunchy OSR game is something I want on my shelf to show to certain people who aren't interested in super simple games.

Edit: no index.

alg fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 30, 2017

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
AS&SH?

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

http://www.hyperborea.tv/

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I’m gonna guess Advanced Sorcerers and Sword Havers.

Oh, not even close.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

alg posted:

My copy of AS&SH came today. It's a gigantic book, and really more complete than any other OSR core book I've seen. I need to dig into it more but I really like the sub classes at first glance. Not using ascending AC is a negative for my group. The book is absolutely full of artwork from the best artists in the OSR, and is really excellently laid out. Really what I want from it is a very pulpy feel, like DCC, but so far it looks more like a more advanced AD&D, which is cool too, as a more crunchy OSR game is something I want on my shelf to show to certain people who aren't interested in super simple games.

Edit: no index.

This looks pretty cool, and it's on sale at DriveThru for Halloween, so I think I'm gonna pick it up.

I like a crunchier OSR game, my nostalgia is pretty laser-targeted at ADnD (mainly 2e but 1e is good too) so all the millions of Basic/etc. clones don't do a lot for me. What else is out there based on 1e/2e that's worth a shout?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

thorsilver posted:

This looks pretty cool, and it's on sale at DriveThru for Halloween, so I think I'm gonna pick it up.

I like a crunchier OSR game, my nostalgia is pretty laser-targeted at ADnD (mainly 2e but 1e is good too) so all the millions of Basic/etc. clones don't do a lot for me. What else is out there based on 1e/2e that's worth a shout?

It's based on BX instead but Adventurer Conqueror King System is pretty great, I'd also recommend Fantastic Heroes & Witchery cause it has a ton of stuff in it(among other things it had 666 spells included in it)

• Locked thread