Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Speaking of Clive Barker, that guy is great, and he does sound like a classy demon. (from all the smoking and demonic rituals)

Fil5000 posted:

And then the narrator says "No, John, you are the demons."

Kind of like the ending of Cannibal Holocaust (I found that movie not very good), where the guy muses "Who are the real cannibals?", which was funny stuff. But a bit profound.

Cat Mattress posted:

There's a French comic called 666 (yes it's hard to google) which was basically about a demon invasion, and well eventually when the actions of the hero (who is largely written as a parody of the tough action hero stereotype, since he's a buff, chain-smoking, gun-obsessed priest who becomes the new Pope after the demons killed the old one) have allowed Earth forces to regain their footing, they send bombers through the Hell portals to just nuke Dis and kill Satan. After Earth wins the war, the remaining demons are rounded up and rehabilitated, eventually integrating in human society, where they have a lot of success in the financial and food industry sectors. It's extremely silly throughout, and full of sex and violence.

Speaking of cool/weird comics, I enjoyed the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse comic by Bisley and Mendheim, based on a cancelled game. So it has CGI cutscenes and stuff on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS32BB-pCaM, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUUB6gIif5Y

Some beta gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve9b52GJo8U

Looked kinda cool.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Pope Guilty posted:

Clive Barker's Jericho is awful.

Jericho was a game that had a really interesting premise, but was tripped up by how bad the game was, and how ugly the visuals came across because of all the filters and such.

The development of it, though was interesting:

HG101 | Clive Barker's Jericho posted:

The genesis of Jericho was difficult. Back in 2005, Mercury Steam was on the brink of closing down, thanks to Scrapland's terrible sales. The team made up a real-time tech demo of 15 seconds showing a Exorcist-like little girl possessed by a demon in a effort to promote a potential horror game to Codemasters. Greenlighted by the editor, Mercury were in very bad shape financially but back on track. According to Enric Alvarez, MercurySteam CEO:

"Jericho's development was a bittersweet experiment. On one hand, I will always be grateful to Codemasters because they saved our life, but on the other hand the way the editor handled the external development didn't really enthuse us. An external development is always complicated for an editor, because a lot of money is involved and they want to control it. So, this control ends up disturbing production. Tons of documents are required on both ends, a lot of slowdowns in no-brainer decisions. Lack of trust is usually the reason for all that. Surely, someone at Codemasters was saying "Keep an eye on those little Spaniards, we don't really know what they are doing or not doing" Like always in life, things aren't black and white, only shades of grey. We were very happy but we kinda guessed that the game coming out wouldn't be the one we wished for."

"And... that's exactly what happened. If you take the cinema analogy, you are the filmaker with internal producers in Spain and Codemasters, the equivalent of executive producer. And this, this is the eternal story of cinema: the more prestige the filmmaker has, the less meddling he let the studio have in his work. This kind of situation can have a happy ending or end up really bad. Jericho ended up as an irregular game. A game, when it shines, shines brightly, but with deep lacking in fundamental mechanisms. The worst mistake was, without a doubt, to pretend having a survival horror aesthetic and at the same time having six overpowered brutes who blow up everything every time. That, that was impossible. The rest of the time, the game was lacking on other points but the blame isn't only on Codemasters, we also share it. It was our first FPS, it was the beginning of next-gen consoles and we were making the game on three different platforms simultaneously: XBOX 360, PS3 & PC, the last one being the development platform."

In the end, things ended up well for Mercury Steam:

"Jericho reached one milion units solds after two or three years on the market. The problem is that its price was stepped down very fast and after an interesting start, the game didn't work. Jericho gave us the sensation that if we wanted to make something great, editors had to give us space, let us tumble, because one learns from its own mistakes not others".

A lesson well-learned by Konami, since Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (as polarizing as it can be in term of gameplay), Mercury Steam's next project, ended up million seller with many critics praising its artistic direction and atmosphere.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Social Animal posted:

Didn’t the lore also say that some demon hooked him up with the armor? Who’s the hooded figure in that one photo of him ripping and tearing imps?

I wasn't sure if that was just the demons fluffing themselves up. It's all stuff written by them, and the armour has serial numbers on it, but we don't see any automated factories in hell. It seems more like the product of an alternate-universe UAC.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The key storyline reason why we need another Doom game asap, we can't have Doomguy left in a similar lurch to Gordon. What a hilarious ending Doom 2016 has. That's like a blood pact to deliver a sequel, or id will be damned and guilty of buggery.

The detached weirdo talking at the protagonist in stasis or whatever thing, it's gonna happen to everybody. Calling it, Mario Odyssey too.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
http://celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=61517

More Q1 SP goodness

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Bushmaori posted:

Some of the backstory things you find in the game say that the demons made a super titan demon to surpass all others, only for it to prove to not be a match for Doomguy. So yeah, it was sort of a last ditch effort type of thing. Maybe they even planned to kill him with it, but once it didn't take they used demon poo poo to help keep him sealed in.

Yeah, you even drop into the corpse of the titan in one level. That thing was so big, doom slayer killing it turned an entire region of hell into a blood-and-guts swamp.

The robed figure from the tablet that gave him his armor and powers is (at least how I read it) from the dimension that had the Wraiths that the demons screwed over. Last of their Knights. Those dudes would make for a fantastic spin-off - high-tech/medieval fusion civilization worshipping horrifying eldritch monsters being invaded by hell that have a squad of elite super-knights protecting them.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I really need to play Doom 16 again and actually read the plot stuff, first time around I just blasted through everything and ignored it :saddowns:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Some dude posted on a Discord server I'm in. Honestly, it looks better than many games claiming to be "oldschool FPSes" on Steam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XePiPBI1zNE

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Convex posted:

I really need to play Doom 16 again and actually read the plot stuff, first time around I just blasted through everything and ignored it :saddowns:

That's pretty much what you're supposed to do, though.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

DatonKallandor posted:

high-tech/medieval fusion civilization worshipping horrifying eldritch monsters

That sounds like basically Quake. Maybe not so much the high-tech part, but yeah.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Convex posted:

I'm sure there are screens of all the text dumps somewhere you can read real quick

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Yes, but then you're not playing Doom 4 again.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You got me there

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ok, Going Down is a really bad WAD to use with Death Foretold.

D4T relies very heavily on being able to race around at top speed dodging projectiles, because nothing is hitscan but everything really loving hurts if it connects, using glory kills to keep your health topped up. Going Down is focused on cramped rooms/hallways/ventilation shafts and nasty ambushes where enemies teleport in at point blank range. These are two great tastes that taste awful together.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ToxicFrog posted:

Ok, Going Down is a really bad WAD to use with Death Foretold.

D4T relies very heavily on being able to race around at top speed dodging projectiles, because nothing is hitscan but everything really loving hurts if it connects, using glory kills to keep your health topped up. Going Down is focused on cramped rooms/hallways/ventilation shafts and nasty ambushes where enemies teleport in at point blank range. These are two great tastes that taste awful together.

I usually play Going Down with either Demonsteele or Project Brutality, but lately, I've been using High Plains Drifter, and it is niiiiiice :clint:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
For what it's worth, STRAFE just received another mechanically-significant update that assigns keys to the weapons you carry, and lets you carry additional ammunition for what were previously "throw away" weapons (originally, if you picked up a second copy of a disposable weapon, it'd just "top off" its ammo). There are still finite limits on how much ammo each weapon can carry overall, but it means they play a more important part now. No more of this "only 10 pistol rounds, 20 plasma shots, etc." nonsense.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

If they keep patching it, may end being fun.

I picked it during a sale and did a run wich lasted long (even did a boss fight of sorts) then didn't play again because the core game wasn't that good.

Carrying more weapons and ammo is the right direction to take, I'll give it a try again soon.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
New Overload early access build is up on Steam and now has 4 full levels alongside some Challenge maps. Game is really fun even in its current state, so glad it reached its Kickstarter goal a few years back! Played it back to back with Descent via DXX Rebirth and it's basically a modern version in all but name. Really pretty too, though hopefully they'll keep optimising it until launch.

On a side note, Descent Underground got delisted from Steam and GOG and might be dead, who knows :rip::shrug:

Convex fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 15, 2017

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

For what it's worth, STRAFE just received another mechanically-significant update that assigns keys to the weapons you carry, and lets you carry additional ammunition for what were previously "throw away" weapons (originally, if you picked up a second copy of a disposable weapon, it'd just "top off" its ammo). There are still finite limits on how much ammo each weapon can carry overall, but it means they play a more important part now. No more of this "only 10 pistol rounds, 20 plasma shots, etc." nonsense.

I wish they had done this earlier. Game could benefit from removing these silly limits and let you got all out while throwing variable hoards at you from different corners.

Convex posted:

On a side note, Descent Underground got delisted from Steam and GOG and might be dead, who knows :rip::shrug:

Still on GOG right now. Delisted from Steam though.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
The Descent Underground devs pulled the game from Steam because people kept leaving reviews saying "this is bad, go get the new descent game by the original Descent developers instead because it's way better," and tried to claim that Steam had forced them to remove it because they weren't releasing enough updates and that the Overload team was review bombing them or something.
https://steamcommunity.com/games/360950/announcements/detail/1492238800024274472

quote:

Well, at least I actually did get the D:U shirt I paid for. I wear it occasionally as a reminder to never back another EA/Kickstarter game.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/360950/discussions/0/1519260397787672709/

quote:

So, based on your video here(4:33) it sounds more to me like you were forced off of Steam due to a lack of updates then by choice. Vocally blaming Steam for your own slow progress, and citing 'neg-spaming' as somehow a cause for it? How does another games progress or popularity hurt your development process? The moment someone says something bad, the entire team has to go on stress leave and recover? The negative feedback is due to your seemingly nonexistent progress and a lack of communication to your customers. Leaving Steam won't make that go away, showing real progress updates instead of live multiplayer matches will.

I find it pretty scummy that I now have to create an account on another site just to keep updated or ask questions, and I can't help but feel this whole thing looks like a straight-up money grab.

quote:

Id also like to add that if you want to make a video where your dev team plays the game and talks about things, it might be a nice idea to record the sound properly so you dont seem like a bunch of idiots who cant use recording software...

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Convex posted:

Good. :colbert:

Still hopeful for Sol Contingency and Overload, though.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Well, that sure was something.

Crowdfunding and early access has left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. Most people are much more sceptical these days when it comes to stuff like this. Since couple developers have dropped the ball, it's been pretty hard for most consumers to to even trust developers and game sites.

Bit of a weird time we live in, but shooters have been doing pretty well.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
The AGDQ 2018 game list came out. Relevant entries: Blood 2: The Chosen (Either Ophilia or Caleb, it looks like it's not decided yet), two Duke3d runners (probably a race?), Half-Life: Opposing Force, and Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy.

Lithtech is unpredictable enough when you're not trying to speedrun it for a marathon, I hope they know what they're doing.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The release of that big SPV3 mod has made we want to finally give Halo a shot, despite my belief that its influence drat near ruined the FPS genre for almost a decade. Are there any mods or fanpatches I need for it to play nice on a modern PC?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Mordja posted:

The release of that big SPV3 mod has made we want to finally give Halo a shot, despite my belief that its influence drat near ruined the FPS genre for almost a decade. Are there any mods or fanpatches I need for it to play nice on a modern PC?

I don't know how it "ruined FPS games". I feel like CoD clones were far more annoying but that's a different conversation.

As far as the mod, seems to play fine after some tinkering. No additional mods or patches needed. It's all included. I honestly think it runs better than the stock Halo PC game (God was that such a hack job by Gearbox).
For reference, I'm running a i56500 at stock speeds and a 1060 6gb and at 1920x1080 it runs fine.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Should have clarified, I want to play the original, base Halo before trying SPV3.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Mordja posted:

Should have clarified, I want to play the original, base Halo before trying SPV3.

Ah, well you will want the latest patch which fixes a bunch of issues that Gearbox never dealt with (like active camo not working on nvidi a cards)

https://www.bungie.net/en-US/Forums/Post/64943622

Amazingly they released this patch in 2014.

You will also need to download Custom Edition for whenever you want to play online / install mods.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Thefluffy posted:

I hear this goldeneye 64 TC has it's issues but this level looks fun at least https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2kZvSvMjOA

How in gods name would you figure out where to go

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Regular Nintendo posted:

How in gods name would you figure out where to go
Honestly, that'd be totally accurate to the Goldeneye/Perfect Dark experience, so I can't really complain there.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Keiya posted:

Lithtech is unpredictable enough when you're not trying to speedrun it for a marathon, I hope they know what they're doing.
Cubeface knows what he's doing, he and Draqu had a little two-man community going for a while, trading records... I want to say that came to an end when Cubeface remembered that Kingpin was a thing and they moved onto that, but I'm not sure if that was before or after Blood 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8zeYPHx_9c

Ophelia is faster, both physically and because she doesn't have any cutscenes because Blood 2 was a finished product.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I don't know how it "ruined FPS games". I feel like CoD clones were far more annoying but that's a different conversation.

As far as the mod, seems to play fine after some tinkering. No additional mods or patches needed. It's all included. I honestly think it runs better than the stock Halo PC game (God was that such a hack job by Gearbox).
For reference, I'm running a i56500 at stock speeds and a 1060 6gb and at 1920x1080 it runs fine.

Speaking of Gearbox, after playing that SPV3 mod, I couldn't help noticing how much they lifted from Halo for Borderlands. The movement and gunplay feel very similar, and the vehicle controls are the same.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Clitch posted:

Speaking of Gearbox, after playing that SPV3 mod, I couldn't help noticing how much they lifted from Halo for Borderlands. The movement and gunplay feel very similar, and the vehicle controls are the same.

The Borderlands 1 jump is identical to the Halo jump, I'm pretty sure.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Stepping back through a couple of posts...

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Bit of a weird time we live in, but shooters have been doing pretty well.
In a time of confusion and paranoia, there is only one constant: Videogame Shotguns Being Sick As gently caress.

Keiya posted:

two Duke3d runners (probably a race?)
Not a race, apparently. Cube's probably gonna let the other guy have that game, from the sounds of things.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Halo started a few design trends (two weapon limit, regenerating health, etc.) that... well, Bungie did a much better job making them work with the gameplay than many of their contemporaries did, let's just say.

Clitch posted:

Gearbox lifted a lot of things for the Borderlands series...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Keiya posted:

Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy.

Is it going to be run by that guy who did Outcast last year, i.e. The Happiest Gamer I've Ever Seen?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

Gearbox lifted a lot of things for the Borderlands series...

The awful shooting was one of them. If Halo games are bad at it, Borderlands (and I played BL2 A LOT) is even worse. In normal or "hard" difficulties is bland but in higher you just shoot peas against tanks, and every enemy is a tank.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is it going to be run by that guy who did Outcast last year, i.e. The Happiest Gamer I've Ever Seen?
Yep, CovertMuffin's back on the docket.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Guillermus posted:

The awful shooting was one of them. If Halo games are bad at it, Borderlands (and I played BL2 A LOT) is even worse. In normal or "hard" difficulties is bland but in higher you just shoot peas against tanks, and every enemy is a tank.

Halo has the plasma pistol to strip shields and then you finish off enemies with your pistol. Blands just expects you to slag everything.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Clitch posted:

Yup and then Bungie lifted lots of things from Borderlands for Destiny back (and failed to fix the crappy movement, jumping and shooting).

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
What's crappy about Destiny shooting? Just about all you hear from Destiny fans is that the shooting is amazing. It's like the one thing everyone seemed to agree on even if they hated Destiny overall.

Legit curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Futuresight posted:

What's crappy about Destiny shooting? Just about all you hear from Destiny fans is that the shooting is amazing. It's like the one thing everyone seemed to agree on even if they hated Destiny overall.

Legit curious.

I played the PC beta and the shooting felt "fine", but I have a feeling it's something that's more impressive on consoles maybe?