Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Buhbuhj posted:

Played in the mud. Wasn't expecting so much mud today, had to turn back. Stock tires not up to this task.

This is why I'm happy with keeping the 'ugly' rear fenders on any bikes I buy, I'd rather not have mud all over my back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Dropped a tooth on the front sprocket, and did some chain maintenance. Working on the grom is like working on a model of a motorcycle, rather than the real thing.

The trail stand works perfect on the lowest setting. It's so cute!

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Got my heated grips on. Aprilia did not make any step of this install easy. Had to heavily modify the throttle tube, trim the left grip, find a place that I could actually route the wires through the frame without them touching the heads, mount the controller with zip ties(id prob do this on any bike).

I have no idea if the "intelligent monitor" works. I had them on to test so I'll see tomorrow if my battery ends up drained or not.

GabbiLB fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 15, 2017

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Had the exact same Oxfords on my Bandit. Still made sure to shut them off manually after every ride though, intelligent controller or not.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I have those as of middle of last year and forget to turn them off frequently in the winter / fall. They shut off on their own fine and have never left me stranded.

Throttle grip took some, uh, "massaging," to get on. Like, hold it in place and hammer it onto the throttle tube.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Be aware that the glue they supply looses grip after a little while. I've had the left grip getting twistable when heated on 2 different bikes after like 6 months. 2-3 drops of normal superglue when it happens fixes it though.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Trip report: Bike started up fine so the shutoff works correctly. Rode to work in 50 degree weather and I had the grips cranked up. My hands we're burning and it was lovely. A+ would do again.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Not so much *to* my ride, but...

Decided I need more table space for the many fairings I need to remove to do any work on the Ape, so I reused the cabinets I pulled out of my laundry room a couple months ago and built them into a workbench.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Got the front tire changed, I don't know if this was the original or what but it has a May 2000 date code, three years older than the bike itself Pounding the old axle out with 17? Year old grease was a bitch to get out.

Original tire date code, this thing wasn't even down to the wear bars yet.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Straightened out the bar end bolt on the Wee. It's about as tough as al dente spaghetti, I got it mostly into place with my bare hands and finished it off clamping the bend in a vice until it popped back straight.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.
Put the lock ring for my SW Motech tank bag on MY GS

These things go on really nicely, the only problem I have is that the bag that fit great on the Tiger looks undersized on the GS, but I can't be hosed to spend £200 on a bigger one

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Anybody here as impatient as I am? I can’t get a machine shop to make time to hollow out the front GS500 wheel so I can make tubeless SM Wheels. So, I hunted through eBay for a front & rear stock DRZSM set and found these: $250 shipped for the front wheel with no tire, and CL got me a rear wheel with tire for $200 plus a good-as-new front tire for $60. The local Triumph / Ducati place put the tire on for me, because again gently caress the KTM dealership in the heart - and here it sits assembled.

The more observant of you might notice it has no rotors and the smaller sprocket gives it a poo poo load of chain slack. I’ll leave a post-it on the bars reminding me not to ride it.

Now I’m gonna check in on my Scion (had to cut 2.5” off the intake piping to fit the proper air filter, don’t ask) and then I’ll get back to putting a 3.2gal tank on the DRZ.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Slapped together budget sumos are the best sumos. That looks really good. I thought the off color wheels was bad until I noticed they match the DRZ swingarm decal. Are you running an 18 rear?

Please do something about your front fender, though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Slapped together budget sumos are the best sumos.

Correct. Shiny factory built poo poo misses the point of having the last word in beater bikes.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Slapped together budget sumos are the best sumos. That looks really good. I thought the off color wheels was bad until I noticed they match the DRZ swingarm decal. Are you running an 18 rear?

Please do something about your front fender, though.

Nah it’s 17”. What’s wrong with the front fender?? It’s appropriately trashy. I still have the banana fender somewhere, I just don’t care for it I guess. Rear tire does rub the chain a little. I can see if I have a bigger spacer lying around, or just cut a new one.

3.2 gallon tank is on but I can’t fill it. I swapped the peacock over, naively thinking I could just reuse it and all the original gaskets.

Nope.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Revvik posted:

Nah it’s 17”. What’s wrong with the front fender??

Ok it just looked bigger. I have dreams of maybe a 19" sumo set on the dr some day. The fender just doesnt curve down enough and it looks totally weird pointing up and straight. Proportions are all wrong.

Today I've done the most DIY ADVrider hackjob thing in a while.
PROBLEM: Corbin seat is now slicker than snot on a marble with my a'stitch pants. It's practically frictionless, especially since the weather has gone cold. I have a long trip this weekend, and don't have time to think of a better solution before morning.

SOLUTION: Cut up and clean an old inner tube, zip tie the ends, tuck each end under the side covers so that the bulge wont let it slide out. I'll have to see how it works, but for now has 9001x more friction than the uncovered parts.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I think I can adjust the angle on it so it doesn’t point straight up like that. Matched the 21” front better.
Nice wrap job, it doesn’t look out of place!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
If by wrap job you mean the procycle stickers, I can't take credit for that, though I love it. If you mean my weirdo friction pad, thanks!

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
No the seat rubber.
There’s a gap between the front of my seat now and the upgraded 3.2gal tank 😐

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Here’s what I mean. The tank doesn’t have the bracket to hold the seat down, but there’s at least a spot to mount it. Waiting on petcock gaskets to arrive so it stops flooding my garage with gas 😑

Bridgestone Trail Wing 150/70/17. I don’t think these will fit. Is it reasonable to put spacers between the sprocket and hub, or suicidal?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Spacers to do what exactly?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
why is a 150 rubbing? did you gently caress up your swingarm?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Spacers to bring the sprocket away from the hub.
If it’s hosed up it’s not me. I haven’t messed with wheel spacers too much yet fwiw. It’s just REALLY rubbing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If the problem is the chain rubbing on the tyre, putting spacers on the rear sprocket will just deflect the chain at an angle and risk it slipping off. I've found with motard stuff that not all tyres are created equal and two different tyres with identical profiles on paper can have vastly different clearance when they're actually on the bike. A small amount of clipping of the chain against the tyre is relatively normal and just motard life but if you're using factory DRZ SM rims on a factory swinger then something is wrong, I'd suggest taking the wheel off and having a really good look at the spacers to make sure they aren't back to front or some such nonsense.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Good advice, thanks. I’ve got a bit of on and off work to do with it anyways since the sprocket I want and the rotors are still in the mail. It’s definitely not a stock rim, but the seller used it as a spare for his DRZ. Excel Takasago rim. Might be 5” and not 4.5”.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Took advantage of a beautiful day to go down to Stratford to visit an old friend having a sculpture exhibit. Very cool. One thing i don't like about the new bike is that you can't have both the clock and odometer going at the same time, unlike the Bandit. Which is pretty lame IMO. I am liking the gear indicator.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Revvik posted:

Bridgestone Trail Wing 150/70/17. I don’t think these will fit. Is it reasonable to put spacers between the sprocket and hub, or suicidal?

Don't do that. SM people trim the tire on that side. Edit: Is your dish set correctly? You might need to adjust it.
I ran a 150 PP 2ct on an oem sm rear without rubbage unless the chain or slider was worn.

#Just PO things. PO overtorqued the steerer like woah on brand-new bearings :(.
Proper tools made this easy as piss though.

I also built a jack stand using an old crutch... partially for my bike, and well:

AT lost the front tube at highway speeds. (It seems to me the dealer is making a pretty good PO for this honda... Oil filter was on dry too, had to chisel that fucker off at the 600mi service)

Irony

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 23, 2017

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

cursedshitbox posted:

AT lost the front tube at highway speeds.
:stonk:

Slavvy is surprisingly quiet on the continual honda fuckery/bad luck, and the continual orange reliability.

Also LOL you got rid of your DRZ that gave you problems and got a reliable ktm, he got rid of the reliable DR, and got a bad luck honda.

Also don't stop posting your beautiful KTM I just love that color scheme.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 23, 2017

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Slavvy is surprisingly quiet on the continual honda fuckery/bad luck, and the continual orange reliability.

Also LOL you got rid of your DRZ that gave you problems and got a reliable ktm, he got rid of the reliable DR, and got a bad luck honda.

Actually the DR was the worse of the two, it's still here if you want it though :D
DR-Z was a huge fun fast pile...but you'd be a huge pile too if you saw up to 4000 miles a month while getting standard DS/SM treatments.

I've put almost 3 thousand mi on the ktm already, spouse has done a little over 1200mi on the AT. We've both been PO'd so over the course of the next week we're gonna open the bikes up and shake the last gremlins out.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

cursedshitbox posted:

Don't do that. SM people trim the tire on that side. Edit: Is your dish set correctly? You might need to adjust it.

...dish?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Revvik posted:

...dish?

The alignment of the hub relative to the rim of the wheel. In a zero-dish wheel, if you look at the wheel from the edge, the hub is perfectly centered left/right with the rim, and the spokes form symmetrical triangles. Sometimes you need a little more space on one side of the wheel, though -- for the sprocket, for instance, or the brake. In that case you make the spokes on one side a little shorter, which pulls the hub a bit to one side, and gives you more room on the opposite side. It reduces the wheel strength a little bit but not hugely, and it lets you get away with a narrower rear.

Here is an example from a bicycle forum -- it's more common in that field because you really want a narrow frame but still need space for the cassette of gears:

On the left, a dished wheel with a symmetric frame; on the right, a non-dished wheel with an asymmetrical frame.

Some bikes have zero-dish wheels and some have dished wheels. Specs will be in the manual.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I see. So I have options here. Thanks for the info!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

He hasn't had the KTM long enough for any statements on reliability. What else has gone wrong with the honda? Did I miss something? Tyre BS doesn't count.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Spent like a good hour and a half replacing the clip master link on the Wee with a rivet. Cause I suck and am bad at things. But I got it. And I'll get the next one when I do the Rex's chain this week.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

He hasn't had the KTM long enough for any statements on reliability. What else has gone wrong with the honda? Did I miss something? Tyre BS doesn't count.

Yeah it's still early as I'm dealing with a couple PO things, but I'll do a full comparison when I reach 10,000mi/16,000km.

The AT has personality mostly from the dildo that assembled/prepped the bike....

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Replaced the tires on the ttr, greased up the axles, hosed down caliper, reinstalled. Carb is still being a stupid rear end in a top hat. Pretty sure the float is too high. Needs tuning like crazy and drips out the overflow.

A gear tooth came out with the oil change but the bike runs fine so I’mma just ignore it

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Brought home the winter project

Fievel Goes Bi fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 23, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Amazing. Is the engine only usable in a straight line?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That flat spot on the front tire is majestic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

Brought home the winter project

As someone who has owned a tire friction drive moped, all I can say is "Why would you do this to yourself?!".