Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Comrade Gorbash posted:

That and all the best Marine powers require material components, but Logistics isn’t a class skill.

wallenstein takes that at gen, but you need to look up the effects of the cha penalties for this class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

HEY GAIL posted:

wallenstein takes that at gen, but you need to look up the effects of the cha penalties for this class

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Nebakenezzer posted:

Luftwaffe comedy: Normandy invasion

34,000 ft... did they pressurize the entire cockpit, or was it just a helmet/face apparatus?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/919768613804019712

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

he's right about wallenstein o7

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

I need to know some other top picks in the Historical Oaf Draft

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Elyv posted:

Oh this thing is absolutely comical. I'm on mobile or I'd post some choice quotes, but you really owe it to yourself to at least read the wiki page if you haven't.

Wikipedia posted:

However, James had a dilemma stemming from mutual distrust between himself and parliament. He feared that if he went to war, parliament would find an excuse to avoid providing the finance to support it. Parliament, on the other hand, feared that if they voted the finances, the king would find an excuse not to go to war. James died shortly afterwards, leaving foreign policy in the hands of Charles, who rather naively assumed that if he followed the policy parliament had advocated, it would provide the funds for it...

Yeah, this was always going to end well.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/919789801439670272
:yikes:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I'm unreasonably irritated that between all the iconic weaponry like pikes, halberds, greatswords, or firearms, they decided to spec this class on boring-rear end one-handed swords.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Also why is a fantasy landsknecht dressed less flamboyantly than any real one? That art sucks and D&D 3rd Ed sucks too.

"Threatening Demeanor" seems on point though.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Tevery Best posted:

Also why is a fantasy landsknecht dressed less flamboyantly than any real one? That art sucks and D&D 3rd Ed sucks too.

I'm pretty sure that's from Pathfinder, which is what happened when some people thought 3rd Ed wasn't 3rd Ed enough.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

dublish posted:

I'm pretty sure that's from Pathfinder, which is what happened when some people thought 3rd Ed wasn't 3rd Ed enough.

Um, excuse me but Pathfinder fixed almost everything that was wrong with 3rd ed. that could be fixed within the confines of the D20 system.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

MANime in the sheets posted:

Um, excuse me but Pathfinder fixed almost everything that was wrong with 3rd ed. that could be fixed within the confines of the D20 system.

this is worse take than anything Keldoclock said

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

MikeCrotch posted:

Not wrong but thats because you cant fix 3e without changing it to something that is so unrecognizable that it becomes something completely different and pathfinder was trying to fix problems while still getting that sweet grognard money. Even though I've had a lot of fun with pathfinder it is because I already had the rules mostly memorized so I didn't need to refer to the overly complicated rules much.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Ensign Expendable posted:

There was a sword in the one Marines ad I kept seeing in Canada somehow, so I assume they know swords.

The officer sword model is the oldest in use by the US military

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Tevery Best posted:

It is and it wants you to use a polearm to increase your threatening reach. Then you read Strength of Arms and get really mixed signals.

MikeCrotch posted:

Yeah. Very seriously yeah.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Y'all are messed up. Pathfinder is so much better than 3rd that I never thought anyone would think otherwise :psyduck:

Anyway, may I suggest we take this grogness to the Games subforum, it's sorta OT?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

PF can be better than 3rd while still being a bad game.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

nothing to seehere posted:

PF can be better than 3rd while still being a bad game.

Oh, I agree. It's just so much better that I wouldn't personally talk it down like that.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
now try to reload

you idiot
you child brain

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

Y'all are messed up. Pathfinder is so much better than 3rd that I never thought anyone would think otherwise :psyduck:

Anyway, may I suggest we take this grogness to the Games subforum, it's sorta OT?
and 4th isbetter than both of them

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

FastestGunAlive posted:

The officer sword model is the oldest in use by the US military

The Marine swords, officer and enlisted, are both actual weapons and are probably quite usable for their original intended purpose.

The NCO sword is the same sword (at least form and fit, no idea about the metal quality but given modern steel is probably quite fine) that was issued in 1859 (it's mostly the 1850 pattern army foot officers sword) and the officer sword is modeled after an Egyptian/Ottoman cavalry saber from the 1820's just fancied up a bit.

Having lugged the NCO sword around a bit I don't think there would be a problem killing someone with it if need be. It's light, fast and comfortable.

e: AD&D for life, yo!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

HEY GAIL posted:

now try to reload

you idiot
you child brain
People just don't understand the importance of the ring bayonet. :(

EDIT: We heard you like pike and shot, so we put a pike in your shot and a shot in your pike.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 16, 2017

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

HEY GAIL posted:

and 4th isbetter than both of them

Amen. The only one of the lot I will still play.

As for actual content, would anyone like to read about Scottish mercenaries in Swedish service? I'm not certain of if any defenestrations took place, but at least one incident where some Scots were hired to perfor a sabre dance in front of the king of Sweden and kill him during it, but the sign to act newer came so the did the dance, received applause and buggered off.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
You still with Old Blue? Still coming to Grolle?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Ensign Expendable posted:

There was a sword in the one Marines ad I kept seeing in Canada somehow, so I assume they know swords.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

HEY GAIL posted:

You still with Old Blue? Still coming to Grolle?

Still with GARS (and I think they are with Old Blue) but started a new job this August so no leave = no Grolle for me. Next year I will attend something though. At least now I have money for re-enactment stuff and Bolognese lessons.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Every marine I've ever met has wanted to stab someone with a sword. Even the linguists. Especially the linguists.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Murgos posted:

The Marine swords, officer and enlisted, are both actual weapons and are probably quite usable for their original intended purpose.
The designs are old and proven, but I wouldn’t trust a dress sword to be of proper steel. Odds are they’re made of stainless steel and far as I know, that’s rubbish for making swords out of.

And then we get into edge geometry and distal taper and... :pseudo:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
reminder that this was completely unironic marine corps recruiting commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62tnJtLBQzQ

also I don't think i've ever seen a contemporary military sword that seemed like a legit weapon but I'm pretty ignorant on such matters

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Siivola posted:

The designs are old and proven, but I wouldn’t trust a dress sword to be of proper steel. Odds are they’re made of stainless steel and far as I know, that’s rubbish for making swords out of.

And then we get into edge geometry and distal taper and... :pseudo:

If you give an enlisted man a sword, they are liable to lose it in a ditch to carry fewer things, might as well give them a shoddy one.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

And officers don’t need swords in the first place so might as well get them something shiny and gaudy.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Don Gato posted:

Every marine I've ever met has wanted to stab someone with a sword. Even the linguists. Especially the linguists.

Around marine biologists never relax, as we say.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Siivola posted:

And officers don’t need swords in the first place so might as well get them something shiny and gaudy.

Like the F-35B.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

bewbies posted:

also I don't think i've ever seen a contemporary military sword that seemed like a legit weapon but I'm pretty ignorant on such matters

oooo dress blues and a sword!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dg3Us9ld2g

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

bewbies posted:

wooooo dress blues with a swo-gently caress

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

bewbies posted:

Most modern dress swords are at least in the same shape of either smallswords or cavalry sabers of some kind, both of which are perfectly serviceable weapons. Especially against opponents not wearing armor. Older swords, the "classic" design like arming swords and viking swords etc., were designed to deal with opponents likely to be wearing leather or chain armor of some kind. Plus there was just less knowledge in general of how to optimize a blade.

Smallswords and cavalry sabers came about after the flintlock musket and socket bayonet largely drove armor off the battlefield. Once that happened, if you were fighting on foot, speed mattered a lot more than anything else, so shorter and lighter was the way to go. You wanted just enough blade to stab someone in an important place as quickly as possible, and no more. Cavalry sabers were heavier, but again the goal was different. You needed enough reach to hit a man on foot from the saddle. You also needed enough weight that if you hit someone in the head, it would kill them without the blade breaking. After that, again, speed was more important than power, and lighter was better.

By turn of the 20th century they really were useless in combat though, and just became a symbol of authority. So naturally they started being made out of cheap, light metal, with the look being the only thing anyone cared about. The design is fine, but the materials and build quality suck. They'll just break if you try to use it in combat seriously. You could probably get away with stabbing one guy who didn't expect you to do it; even a steak knife works for that. A steak knife is a good comparison for the quality of most modern dress swords, actually. Unless you spend a stupid amount of money to get a combat ready blade for some reason.

On a side note, the katana stuck around in Japan for cultural reasons, but it also turned out to be a nice balance between the factors driving smallsword and cavalry saber design. A small sword is quicker, but a katana is almost as fast and has better reach. A cavalry saber is harder hitting and tougher, but the katana is a bit faster and heavy enough. For the brief window where Japan was modernizing their military and carrying a sword into combat was a reasonably good idea, the katana was a good one to have. Of course, they kept issuing full up combat ready blades well into the Second World War, which was a gigantic waste of time and quality steel.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 16, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

When was the last time a sword was actually used to make a kill in combat?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

chitoryu12 posted:

When was the last time a sword was actually used to make a kill in combat?

Depends on how you define "sword." If you're including machetes probably last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Siivola posted:

And officers don’t need swords in the first place

Gratz, you just triggered the entire British Army's officer corps