Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Some bread chat: I think 90% of the time, I want a bread that tastes good and has the right mouth feel on the first bite.
Bertucci's bread rolls don't have great flavor, but they build into that gummy gluten texture maybe a dozen chews in, and then they really hold their own. It's kind of strange that there are foods that demand patience for you to get the full eating pleasure out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Because of earlier talk in the thread about cheap Fiestas I put feelers out for one to replace my wife's Scion. A dealership near here is supposed to be getting a '17 SE with the 1.0 EcoBoost and 5 speed in the next week or so. I'm hoping that between it being late in the model year and it being a manual the dealership will be willing to work with me on the price, but just for a baseline does anyone here have anecdotal data on what's a fair deal?

Dealership says it'd qualify for 0%/60 month financing OR a $some amount (my phone was breaking up) off the purchase price. We have fairly good credit but just bought a house in June. I can get financing through USAA if I don't go with the dealership financing.

Thanks dudes.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I hate it when my wife doesn't think poo poo through and I have to waste half my evening bailing her out when I explicitly told her I didn't want to deal with this exact situation.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

The best ramen place around here is run by three Japanese ladies who don’t speak English and the sign out front just says good then something in Japanese. When you order you hand hem a card with what you want from the picture menu board and it has what you want in Japanese

All the Nissan guys go there for lunch so it’s apparently very much like home

buying a meal ticket from a vending machine and handing the ticket over to the staff is very common in japan

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

:colbert:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

is that from that initial d game they have in odaiba where you sit in an actual car?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fridge corn posted:

is that from that initial d game they have in odaiba where you sit in an actual car?
The one in Odaiba is in the Sega Joypolis arcade, the card for that is just the normal Joypolis one. That card above is from the "normal" arcade.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

The one in Odaiba is in the Sega Joypolis arcade, the card for that is just the normal Joypolis one. That card above is from the "normal" arcade.

Yeah I remember needing a card of some kind to play the games but I couldnt remember if you got anything special from the initial d game. I only played it once and was very bad at it

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Previa_fun posted:

Because of earlier talk in the thread about cheap Fiestas I put feelers out for one to replace my wife's Scion. A dealership near here is supposed to be getting a '17 SE with the 1.0 EcoBoost and 5 speed in the next week or so. I'm hoping that between it being late in the model year and it being a manual the dealership will be willing to work with me on the price, but just for a baseline does anyone here have anecdotal data on what's a fair deal?

Dealership says it'd qualify for 0%/60 month financing OR a $some amount (my phone was breaking up) off the purchase price. We have fairly good credit but just bought a house in June. I can get financing through USAA if I don't go with the dealership financing.

Thanks dudes.

Someone in the new car thread got one for 13.5k out OTD.

I thought about it, but after checking one out they are just too small for what I need.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fridge corn posted:

Yeah I remember needing a card of some kind to play the games but I couldnt remember if you got anything special from the initial d game. I only played it once and was very bad at it
You might be able to if you wanted to play it regularly, but I'm not sure, it's years since I went.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
that card is from 2005 or something

everything now is on an IC card that works across all sorts of games (divided by company, aime is sega's)

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
It's Sunday, all the parts stores are closed, and you just ripped the exhaust off your car, including the flange on the catalytic converters that you weren't planning on replacing. You need your car tomorrow.

Your father has a mouldering old dock and it's put together with bolts and 1/8" plate...

Yep, that'll do.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

September and October in Colorado are the loving best. I wait all year for this. This is when I put the most miles on my convertible as I drive it to work just to make sure I get that early evening drive home. And yesterday I had all afternoon to kill so I drove it around for about two and a half hours on some favorite roads. The leaves are falling, I have a 65 degree breeze blowing through my living room carrying the smell of bbqs and fall air. If I win the lottery I swear I'll just live here in these two months and somewhere else the rest of the year. Winter is ok except when it snows (which isn't as often as people assume) but summer here sucks. It's hot and it rains every day anyway. Spring is similar to fall but it's much much shorter. This year we didn't even really have a spring, it went from snow to rain to loving 90's and rain.

But fall rocks.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Safety Dance posted:

My coworkers just got done installing a server on a ship in China. Already I can download the latest telemetry, and I can ssh into a box on a boat on the other side of the world via satellite. The future is crazy.

This is literally my future, but it's a Raspberry Pi telling me that my sailboat is full of water while it sits on a trailer in my buddy's yard.

LloydDobler posted:

But fall rocks.

A decade ago I took a roadtrip through western CO and it was great. I bet this time of year the aspens are turning all sorts of colors we don't see in the land of oak, oak, oak and pine.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

LloydDobler posted:

September and October in Colorado are the loving best. I wait all year for this. This is when I put the most miles on my convertible as I drive it to work just to make sure I get that early evening drive home. And yesterday I had all afternoon to kill so I drove it around for about two and a half hours on some favorite roads. The leaves are falling, I have a 65 degree breeze blowing through my living room carrying the smell of bbqs and fall air. If I win the lottery I swear I'll just live here in these two months and somewhere else the rest of the year. Winter is ok except when it snows (which isn't as often as people assume) but summer here sucks. It's hot and it rains every day anyway. Spring is similar to fall but it's much much shorter. This year we didn't even really have a spring, it went from snow to rain to loving 90's and rain.

But fall rocks.

As your neighbor to the west in Salt Lake City I agree with these statements. October is one of the best months of the year here. Beaches are nice but mountains are better to look at.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

monsterzero posted:

This is literally my future, but it's a Raspberry Pi telling me that my sailboat is full of water while it sits on a trailer in my buddy's yard.

Haha! What signals do you record?

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Safety Dance posted:

Haha! What signals do you record?

Nothing yet, it's still a tangle of parts in my bedroom waiting for me to finish a billion other projects. I plan to monitor current in/out of my batteries and run a couple of moisture sensors in my bilge. Eventually, I'd like to run OpenCPN with GPS and compass data, but I sail on inland lakes so keeping the shore to port solves most of my navigational issues.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

monsterzero posted:

Nothing yet, it's still a tangle of parts in my bedroom waiting for me to finish a billion other projects. I plan to monitor current in/out of my batteries and run a couple of moisture sensors in my bilge. Eventually, I'd like to run OpenCPN with GPS and compass data, but I sail on inland lakes so keeping the shore to port solves most of my navigational issues.

Oh neat! Does OpenCPN automagically parse the data coming off of your GPS? That's something I had to mess with.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ha, we were supposed to go meet friends and see the special screening of the Princess Bride tonight but we ended up being too busy to go.

Bullet dodged.

Our friends that went messaged a bit ago about the group of disgusting wierdos who showed up, sat all in a row and shouted out lines from the film while it was playing. He says more than one fedora was present.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I love Princess Bride but it's not a film I've ever wanted to go see on a bigger screen than I've got at home.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm just giggling to myself at the thought of a dozen dorks all shouting INCONCEIVABLE at the screen.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

All the more reason to see it at home.

The only movie I've ever wanted audience participation in, was Snakes on a Plane.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

The only movie I've ever wanted audience participation in, was Snakes on a Plane.

I saw Godzilla 2000 new with a bunch of drunk guys in the front row.

When the immortal line "this missile will go through Godzilla like crap through a goose" was spoken, they stopped riffing and gave respectful applause.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

IOwnCalculus posted:

You appear to have spelled Rocky Horror Picture Show wrong.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've seen that firsthand, as an employee at a theater that used to run it every Saturday at midnight.

Nope.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

IOwnCalculus posted:

You have Alamo Drafthouse out there, don't you?

They show some neat poo poo, and for certain screenings, audience participation is allowed and encouraged, with subtitles thrown up on the screen. I saw Monty Python & The Holy Grail during one of those screenings - they gave out coconut halves to everyone in the audience for that one.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

We just got one recently, but haven't been yet. If their showing of Blade Runner had been 20 minutes later we would've gone there.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

It's an awesome place! Though I wind up dropping a decent chunk of change every time - their food/drink is pretty expensive once you're inside the theater. The food's decent.

Saw The Big Lebowski there awhile back; no audience participation on that one, but I managed to run up a $50 tab from the white russians (they change the menu up depending on the movie - for Deadpool, they added chimichangas on the menu, plus a couple of different drinks). A lot of screenings of older movies sell out days before the movie.

But... can't take kids under 6 except during specific showings.

e: looks like they added white russians to the menu permanently, aptly named The Dude's White Russian. Or maybe that's always been there and I just didn't discover it until that day

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 16, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

That is 100% not a bad thing at all.

I really appreciate being able to go to "no under 18s" showings in the nice bit of our cinema.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

So I was getting out of the tractor at work today and swung myself off the bottom step onto the ground. Only to promptly discover that I put my foot into a pair of ruts from a dually off a truck that was hiding in the long grass and went down like a sack of poo poo.

That was 15 mins afterwards still sitting in the tractor.

And 9hrs later at home.

Still can walk on it so Im hopeful nothing broke, thank god for high sided work boots. But im pretty sure thats going to hurt in the morning

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

So it may have been a mistake to come to the Northern most point of Ireland for a holiday. A windy thing called 'Ophelia' is coning to gently caress poo poo up and we're right up top by the sea on the peninsula.

If I die, whoever wants to throw lots of money at it can have my Supra. Please have fun, feed it lots of oil and eventually stack it doing something stupid in my honour. Bless up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Ferremit posted:

So I was getting out of the tractor at work today and swung myself off the bottom step onto the ground. Only to promptly discover that I put my foot into a pair of ruts from a dually off a truck that was hiding in the long grass and went down like a sack of poo poo.

That was 15 mins afterwards still sitting in the tractor.

And 9hrs later at home.

Still can walk on it so Im hopeful nothing broke, thank god for high sided work boots. But im pretty sure thats going to hurt in the morning

Go to the doctor man. I did something similar to my foot years ago and was pretty sure I didn't break anything, but found out waaay to late I actually did.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Ow.

Last week while disconnecting a mobile home service pole (house got repo'ed), I found out that two pieces of vinyl siding laying together have a coefficient of friction roughly equal to eel snot, and busted my rear end when nobody was looking. No harm though. :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Yup, we wanted to go there for Wonder Woman but the kiddo is five, not six. Having been on the other side of it I totally get it, not every parent who brings a kid to a movie is willing to skip the show and take their kid out if they're being lovely. I'm all for a theater getting in front of that with their own age rules even if it does make some movies a bit harder.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I decided a few weeks ago that I was going to run a 5k in November. I figured, how hard can it be? I go to the gym three times a week and usually do six miles at a time on the bike.

Oh man, running is hard. I made it to two miles on Friday but my legs hurt like hell afterward. I have some Puma trainers but on Saturday I got some fitted running shoes (loving $200 for the shoes and the inserts, goddamn). My knee is still killing me today and I don't know if I should run tonight. I normally go mon-wed-fri and I want to try out my new shoes but I also don't want to gently caress up my knee or anything.

Running hurts.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I wish I could run, but my asthma has gotten so bad that even a mile feels like I'm about to collapse out of breath.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

CornHolio posted:

I decided a few weeks ago that I was going to run a 5k in November. I figured, how hard can it be? I go to the gym three times a week and usually do six miles at a time on the bike.

Oh man, running is hard. I made it to two miles on Friday but my legs hurt like hell afterward. I have some Puma trainers but on Saturday I got some fitted running shoes (loving $200 for the shoes and the inserts, goddamn). My knee is still killing me today and I don't know if I should run tonight. I normally go mon-wed-fri and I want to try out my new shoes but I also don't want to gently caress up my knee or anything.

Running hurts.

Do the couch to 5k program. Also look up good form running so you're not smacking your heels down with every stride. Feels weird at first but you get used to it, and it's way better for your knees.

I wish I could still run. My hip replacements came with a hidden cost of having to buy a bike. :(

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Larrymer posted:

Do the couch to 5k program. Also look up good form running so you're not smacking your heels down with every stride. Feels weird at first but you get used to it, and it's way better for your knees.

Looking that over, I'm pretty much on week five of the program. I'm not trying to run the whole thing though, I'm just looking to finish. And not injure myself or perish.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
Even so, c25k is a great program. See what you can do to match up and proceed with it's steps. It actually works really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Welp, so much for thinking wifi networks are secure!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/10/16/every-wi-fi-device-risk-unprecedented-krack-attack-security/

• Locked thread