Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

It seems to me "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Cloud Imperium Rights LLC and Roberts Space Industries Corp.." is a betrayal of the 'CIG will not ask Youtube to take down Star Citizen related videos' promise.

But chances are I just don't understand open development.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcRxuvQT3Ew&t=26s
Question: "With the new Youtube copyright issue with companies redacting videos or claiming them as their own, will you allow videos of Star Citizens?"
Chris: "So the simple answer is yes. We're actually quite excited when everyone is sharing videos of Star Citizen. It's really cool to watch everyone show off their hangar and how the different ships look and the fun and shenanigans they get up to. So we're sort of in favor of you guys sharing gameplay, hangar videos, whatever it would be as far as that. So we'll be trying our best to not tell Youtube to block the content."

I'm changing the status to Compromised on the tracker later this week. https://starcitizentracker.github.io/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Thoatse posted:

Good VR games: (by no means comprehensive, but these are all good)

Shooters:
Robo Recall -fps wave shooter fighting scary robots, shoot them or beat them with their own limbs you tear off that allows modding
Space Pirate Trainer -fun/casual fast paced wave shooter, cheap and vigorous to play
Onward- tactical shooter a lot of folks make special gunstock things to hold both controllers into a single rifle for immersion/aim
Super Hot VR -holy poo poo how did people even play this in 2d... wave fight game where enemies only move when you do but time is all matrix compressed
Raw Data -be ready to duck and weave in this sci fi shooter

Can confirm Superhot VR is extremely cool and fun and will also make you sweat and your limbs hurt because you never thought video games could feel that much like exercise.
GORN is good and fun also, make sure you've got space around you though or you'll flail the controllers and your hands into walls and objects as the bloodlust overtakes you.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Codezombie posted:

aside from trying to hit approx 90-120fps (which is critical and NOT optional)

Doesn't this mean MMOs are a poor fit for VR because at any point there are 0-100 other players on screen? Which means you either lower the graphics with the anticipation of a mass amount of players or the FPS potentially dips into motion sickness territory.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

kilus aof posted:

Doesn't this mean MMOs are a poor fit for VR because at any point there are 0-100 other players on screen? Which means you either lower the graphics with the anticipation of a mass amount of players or the FPS potentially dips into motion sickness territory.

Potentially. Though as I've not worked on any VR for an MMO, or any MMO, I'm probably a bad person to ask.
But yes, if I was asked to approach the problem, this would worry me a lot.

Another thing to avoid is never to take agency/control away from the player, so precanned first person animations in VR are best avoided.
Actually the whole first person movement thing is a bit of a mine field.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

kilus aof posted:

yes

e: actually no. A well designed MMO should be designed and built in a way that a massive amount of players will not reduce FPS, it might only increase server tick rate (see: EVE online) or introduce poo poo like rubber banding. In an ideal situation, your client should always render it at a decent speed, and network bottlenecks should not impede framerate, but fluid playing (by desyncing/rubber banding). Of course, rubber banding might actually throw you around the world (while still maintaining FPS), which might make you :barf:. Overall, an MMO should have meshes that are low-poly enough to always render well, even with many players on screen (see: any MMO basically apart from SC).

This is CryEngine though....

tuo fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 16, 2017

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Codezombie posted:

Try this for what the audio sounds like while you wait.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK1aD4CceRI

The sound of axle tramping along the gravely surface makes me very happy :)

I get to take part in a local rally event every couple of years so have some first hand experience of rl rallying (non competitive level though, its just for fun), I think you've nailed the sound design tbh, it's near enough perfect to my ears. :)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

kilus aof posted:

GW2 has an option "player model limit" that straight up doesn't draw players after a certain number, and just gives you their floaty names. Works okay.

Also, I played some FF14 in 3d vr through some hacks and it's loving glorious, apart from all the UI being at 0 depth so you're seeing either the 3d or the 2d part of the game double.

Fix the MMO UI for 3d and I'll never be outside VR again.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

tuo posted:

Derek, watch the movie! Pretty please?

Lol Derek Smart's movie review of American Satan.

It's good, might be a bit close to the bone though.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

His review would take longer to read versus just watching the movie.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

tuo posted:

Just bring a blindfold, that's similar to blocking people.

No it's not. I will still be able to hear. Blocking people means I don't have to close my eyes. What I don't want to read, simply isn't there. No fuss. No muss.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Virtual Captain posted:

It seems to me "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Cloud Imperium Rights LLC and Roberts Space Industries Corp.." is a betrayal of the 'CIG will not ask Youtube to take down Star Citizen related videos' promise.

But chances are I just don't understand open development.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcRxuvQT3Ew&t=26s
Question: "With the new Youtube copyright issue with companies redacting videos or claiming them as their own, will you allow videos of Star Citizens?"
Chris: "So the simple answer is yes. We're actually quite excited when everyone is sharing videos of Star Citizen. It's really cool to watch everyone show off their hangar and how the different ships look and the fun and shenanigans they get up to. So we're sort of in favor of you guys sharing gameplay, hangar videos, whatever it would be as far as that. So we'll be trying our best to not tell Youtube to block the content."

I'm changing the status to Compromised on the tracker later this week. https://starcitizentracker.github.io/

Yeah shocking isn't it? Is there a single promise this rear end-clown hasn't broken?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

tuo posted:

yes

e: actually no. A well designed MMO should be designed and built in a way that a massive amount of players will not reduce FPS, it might only increase server tick rate (see: EVE online) or introduce poo poo like rubber banding. In an ideal situation, your client should always render it at a decent speed, and network bottlenecks should not impede framerate, but fluid playing (by desyncing/rubber banding). Of course, rubber banding might actually throw you around the world (while still maintaining FPS), which might make you :barf:. Overall, an MMO should have meshes that are low-poly enough to always render well, even with many players on screen (see: any MMO basically apart from SC).

This is CryEngine though....

It really sounds like CIG are honestly stalling the main thread waiting on (a) network update(s). I'm not sure that I've ever encountered that before, if it is they case they are doing that, then it's the most beserk idea.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

this is getting OLDMAN! lol

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Maw posted:

Can confirm Superhot VR is extremely cool and fun and will also make you sweat and your limbs hurt because you never thought video games could feel that much like exercise.
GORN is good and fun also, make sure you've got space around you though or you'll flail the controllers and your hands into walls and objects as the bloodlust overtakes you.

My broken ceiling fan agrees with you.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Codezombie posted:

It really sounds like CIG are honestly stalling the main thread waiting on (a) network update(s). I'm not sure that I've ever encountered that before, if it is they case they are doing that, then it's the most beserk idea.

That is exactly what is happening. This is how I understand it: CIG decided to have all ship movement handled by the physics engine. (Remember that "True fidelity where ship movement is managed by how the thrusters exert force on the ship?) However this means that you nee all players to have the same state of physics, e.g. All player's physics calculation ticks need to be in sync and server authoritative. The more players in the game, the harder the server needs to work running the fully physics calculation, slowing the tick rate. No big deal you think, ships just behave sluggishly and the frame rate can continue to be 60 FPS. Just one problem. Cry engine's physics rendering is tied to the frame rate. It can only draw frames as fast as the physics ticks are coming in.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Hav posted:

In elite, you hit the system, 1 star, 1 planet, point to your required destination and hit ‘j’ until the spawn, which could be neutral or pirates. Pirates would be sidewinders and kraits, generally the pythons and anacondas were peaceful enough.

I spent the summer of 1982 playing the game, and have extremely fond memories of the one mission in the BBC version, going after the constrictor.

Calling ED a backwards step from elite is weird. Calling the buggy as gently caress frontier II a better game than ED is weird. Suggesting that oolite doesn’t have popin enemies is weird.

Frontier i cheesed with an imperial courier loaded with shield generators, and while i loving loved that it had orbital mechanics, it was ultimately seriously flawed.

Also, the sound design in elite makes the game; it’s immersive, and while it’s effectively a truck driver simulator, it’s still true to a formula, but really, i think you’ve gotten caught up in weird nostalgia.

The VR thing really pisses me off. Nothing proves that Chris Robert is a charlatan better than this. If he knew the first thing about the code behind controlling a camera, and had given VR even a passing thought, he would have been dead-set against almost every facet of his own camera design philosophy in Star Citizen.

I'm by no means an expert, not compared with people who do this every day for a living, but I've written thousands of lines of CameraController code, and it's no joke.

There will never be VR in Star Citizen, not without a complete re-write of what the camera logic fundamentally does, and how it interacts with the animation systems.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Eurogamer should have just gone out and said that it probably wont make 2018 either. loving end of the year second fiddle stream to show a presentation on their single player game that was supposedly white boxed like 3 years ago.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Codezombie posted:

What does your heart tell you?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Dogeh posted:

Oh gently caress so much this. In my case it wasn't SuperHot VR, but HoloBall and Space Pirate Trainer. gently caress me for putting so much stuff in the real world.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Codezombie posted:

And I would have got away with this lovely netcode too, if it weren't for you meddling blocking calls!

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Codezombie posted:

Still somewhat common for RTS games with too many units movements to communicate easily over the network. Modern games are wise to route around the issue, in different ways.

Mata posted:

When I learned about this, there were two main approaches to game networking:
The quake model, works well in fast-paced shooters where the whole state can comfortably be serialized, the server just pumps out gamestate updates and doesn't really care about accuracy or packet loss. The clients do their best to render the gamestate as they understand it, and the server does its best to reconcile all the player's input. In high latency situations you'll get some weirdness, like bullets not arriving where you're shooting or glitchy movement, but errors won't compound because you get a fresh gamestate from the server and can toss out the old one. As far as I know, most modern FPSes build on this model but it has been developed further since quake 3.

The lockstep model, when the whole gamestate can not be synchronized, e.g. when you have 1500 archers. This works by carefully ensuring each client simulates the exact same state, sacrificing latency for improved accuracy. Even the smallest floating point error will eventually cause a desync because the gamestate is never corrected, errors just compound on each other. I think all RTS and Mobas use this model, which hasn't really changed much since the age of empires days, except for some games allowing for stuff like joining in-progress games.

There might be more networking strategies but in general it can be summarized as "accuracy or speed, pick one"

In the many lockstep implementations, rendering is delayed until all clients are ready for the next step in the simulation. I have no idea what CryEngine prefers.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Dogeh posted:

Even a stopped ceiling fan is right 4 times a day.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Cryengine definitely does not use lockstep, and it's be a really bad thing for star citizen to use. The "it's due to network" excuse for low fps is just that, an excuse. It's just shoddy code all the way down.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Toops posted:

Even a stopped ceiling fan is right 4 times a day.

Most starcitizen fans are broken, but they are never right. check mate gish gallop goonie.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Virtual Captain posted:

Still somewhat common for RTS games with too many units movements to communicate easily over the network. Modern games are wise to route around the issue, in different ways.

In the many lockstep implementations, rendering is delayed until all clients are ready for the next step in the simulation. I have no idea what CryEngine prefers.

In tyool 2017, if you're not running syncs in coroutines or generally off the main update loop thread and using dead reckoning, idk man, I don't think you're doing it right.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

AutismVaccine posted:

Most starcitizen fans are broken, but they are never right. check mate gish gallop goonie.

:five:

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Virtual Captain posted:

Yeah, usually the trick is live with a tiny amount of desync, and just not talk about it... ;)

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/767qdh/idea_an_alien_race_that_we_have_superiority_over/

quote:

Idea: An alien race that we have superiority over and we can (as a community) influence their ascendancy to the stars or enslave them.
What would we do if we met a species 'inferior' (more so technologically inferior than apitude) to us but with just as much potential? I think it would be fun to explore the ways we could influence the future/current livlihood of a slightly inferior alien race. This would add to career jobs such as slave trader (sell as crew or outpost work), tourist (peace relations), bounty hunters (hunt slavers), rescue (save captured or injured), traders (improve aliens tech and obtain rareities), miners (extract rare materials that may/may not be detrimental to environment), science (research xenobiology and planet for anaomlies and ecosystem), etc...

Yup this will all be possible!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
You know, I just realised something.

Chris Roberts' last foray into video game development pre-dates multi-core CPUs

BUT DON'T WORRY HE CAN BUILD THE BEST drat GAME OF ALL TIIIIIIIIIIIME!

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

TheAgent posted:

btw the interview occurred that day, but the article wasn't published until 9/11

and for some reason you've been trying to bait me into slapfights over the most basic stuff, I don't understand why and it's getting a little tiresome

can I just put "derek smart is always right and knows everything about star citizen" in my sig so we can bury the hatchet or whatever

He's irritated that you are the one guy he can't put on his block list since you account for 56% of his blog material.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iS9ouBxuRU

With added Thargoids.

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe

quote:

99.9% of ED's content is procedurally generated. Once they wrote the PG code, all they had to do is hit a button. The cost of something like that is orders of magnitude cheaper than what CIG is doing.

I hate them so much

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

When 3.0 releases, I'm going to spend all of my time playing the custom content inside the Skyrim sized moon crater. I'm going to be slaying moon dragons and hanging out with space Niko Bellic.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Imagine spending two years (2016-17) waiting for Star Citizen to make considerable progress because they have all their studios set up and teams in place, and they had a significant head start with the start of the project + prototyping in 2012 and 2011, respectively.

Who the gently caress is going to wait another full year to see if this turd of a game smells any better? If I had any money in this game I'd be taking it out immediately.

CIG should have to earn my money.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If I had any money in this game I'd be taking it out immediately.

"Do you hear that, Jobbo? That was the refund bell. Leaver! Leaver! Leaver, they'll all say!"

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

D_Smart posted:

I have decided to set a limit on how much trash I let into my life. So no, I won't be seeing this. Not even if I got a free pass.

If you quit playing your game you'd have 90% of your trash time cleaned up.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Incitatus posted:

"Do you hear that, Jobbo? That was the refund bell. Leaver! Leaver! Leaver, they'll all say!"

"Huh? What?" He mumbled as he looked away from his computer screen after a 69-hour gaming session on Total War Warhammer 2, Overwatch, War Thunder, and ME:Shadow of War

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I periodically just skim through maybe 1 in ten pages and LOL

They must have gotten Ben to get accurate values for their stamina system.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

BloodyScab posted:

I hate them so much

What key combo would Derek give to the pg button?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe
I remember that during the pre-release phase of ED, the pilot's auto head-movement (due to g forces) was automatically turned off when using VR.

Then after one of the updates, this internal setting was accidentally disabled by the devs. The result? No-one could stomach ED in VR for more than 30 seconds because it hosed with their brain. No-one reported that they were fine with it. All reports said the game was currently unplayable in VR.

Fortunately, FD rushed out an emergency patch to fix it and everything was good again.

So the moral of the story - the VR implementation is highly sensitive, and needs to be done correctly, otherwise the experience is just nauseating. All the SC pre-canned animations are going to lead to vomit-central in VR.