Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Well I'm high in the middle of the night, OK? I'm genuinely sorry to you and my mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The admiral's line was something like "As societies develop interplanetary travel in general they tend to become less religious". I didn't think it read as catty, dismissive, or condescending.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Caufman posted:

Well I'm high in the middle of the night, OK? I'm genuinely sorry to you and my mother.

Your mother says "Just ignore him, and come back to bed"

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Well are you gonna do as the lady says and get off my balls?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
hugs night son.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Mom should make more money than you.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Zebulon posted:

I know the alt-right and their ilk don't exactly live in the world of rational thought, despite their claims otherwise. It still amazes me they look at the show with Bortus, Klyden, and their child (and all of this being front and center by episode 2, let alone ep 3) and yet somehow Discovery is the greater "evil" for having a black woman as the primary story focus. I just didn't find Discovery interesting enough for me to want to spend $10 a month on watching more of it one week at a time, I can't say what I saw of the cast had a single thing to do with that decision. Same way the tantrum throwing over the new Star Wars movies being "forced diversity" and mayocide confuses me to no end.

Kind of comes back to that whole thing about how when you're used to being the one in charge, equality is oppression I guess. The most capable argument they've seemed to manage is this idea that somehow, it's "forced" because it's not normal. Yet they always seem to fail at properly defining normal, or why they think that state is normal. Weird, that.

I guess they are not explicitly opposed to diversity and more to the globalist/liberal/Jewish conspiracy that is trying to push it. Whenever they perceive this conspiracy they are offended. Orville is more of an underdog show, made on a tight budget and fighting an uphill battle against "Big Hollywood" Star Trek. It's perceived to be less tainted by the conspiracy. At least that's how I try to rationalize gay people joining the alt-right etc. Being gay/trans isn't even that bad in their eyes, it's the pushing it as part of "Cultural Marxism" that is the deadly sin.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Rutibex posted:

But I mean, not all religions are Christianity. Not all religions make verifiable claims that can be disproved by science. Buddhism or Hinduism for example are perfectly compatible with space travel. Scientologists have aliens as part of their religion!

Actually this would be great. 1 Corinthians 15:6 "After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, and so many time travelers from the future they could not be counted."

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Caufman posted:

More accurately, this is not about the religions themselves but how the practitioners interpret their religion. Right now you can find Buddhists killing non-Buddhists for no good reason. You can also read Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, an early 20th century Christian theologian who wrote extensively about a theology that conceives of a cosmic Christ, not just the Jewish one named Jesus of Nazareth.

I bet I could read the entire Avis rental agreement and make a plausible interpretation that the term krill used in the phrase "all krill are brothers," refers also to sapient peoples not born on the krill homeworld.

Agreed. Religion isn't monoculture.

Rutibex posted:

They looked though the literature database from their room, I can assume they are not stupid enough to fail to check if there is a e-book on file they could just copy to a thumb drive. It must be a religious requirement not to make electronic copies.

Perhaps that was the fancy public one, and Chris and Devin were making things needlessly complicated for slapstick reasons by going after that one instead of seducing the schoolmarm and stealing her digital version.

Cingulate posted:

You don't have to do nothing, but I don't understand the line. I have no starting point.

It starts from a warped view of American black people derived from only being exposed to American media, which is how some of these "alt-right" chucklefucks arrived at their stupid views. Authentically Black People only like things from the Approved Black Person Interests List, such as hip hop, keeping it gangsta, etc, you see.

You know how everyone on the Internet is a straight white male? It's like that.

It's ludicrous.

Picard and Dathon at El-Adrel. Temba, his arms wide!

Caufman posted:

Reflecting on the Orville = notSJW, one thing I remember from the pilot was that I found it not completely right that Ed outranked Kelly. The Admiralty was impressed with Kelly, not Ed, and she came up with the plan to use the tree to destroy the krill ship. But she's a full rank below him and serves under his command. I'm impressed with her character's love for her ex-cuckold, but in an SJW-approved Union, Kelly would have had her own command before Ed.

What was her rank when she cheated on him? He was an up-and-coming officer, I don't recall if she was as well. Maybe she will surpass him yet, if she threw herself into the work like he did pre-divorce. He stalled for a year.

WampaLord posted:

What in the gently caress is this post? Son, you done broke your brain with too much internet. Stop parsing everything as "SJW" or "notSJW" what in the gently caress is wrong with you?

Stare into the Abyss, the Abyss stares back. Some puzzles are irresistible.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I see now that I made several unfounded assumptions and forgot some important details. With this realization, I have gained a rank in my sjw level.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Caufman posted:

I see now that I made several unfounded assumptions and forgot some important details. With this realization, I have gained a rank in my sjw level.

You're hereby promoted to the SJW Ensign of 1st class.
You make us proud. :patriot:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Caufman posted:

I think you can only level down in SJW

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Was I the only one who expected Mercer to seduce the teacher when they introduced the character?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the whole rank thing is something that came up during talks regarding that one anarchist guy in the air force so it might apply. I'm going to presume Kelly was never big on being the actual Captain but specifically chose the role she wanted to do and the rank associated with it, choosing the education path and school required for it. Ed always wanted to be the Captain, to the point he probably wouldn't want to be promoted to admiral because he just likes commanding single ships or is good at it.

There's also the fact the show wouldn't work without a second officer as presented and having her controlling her own ship while he was still controlling the Orville would make the show lose focus.

And I didn't expect him to do anything of the sort, 8one6, on account of the fact it would be massively awful. Exploiting her recent loss, the fact he's lying to her about who he is and any possible future together, not to mention he's never seen a Krill up close before that day and the only way they interacted before was shooting at one-another.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

evilmiera posted:

There's also the fact the show wouldn't work without a second officer as presented and having her controlling her own ship while he was still controlling the Orville would make the show lose focus.

This isn't wrong, but obviously they simply wouldn't have written her character as important in any way if they weren't going to do the two-chairs-in-the-middle bit

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Bloop posted:

This isn't wrong, but obviously they simply wouldn't have written her character as important in any way if they weren't going to do the two-chairs-in-the-middle bit

Which I love, by the way; the bridge is like a living room and they're like a mom and dad sipping coffee in their recliners on a sunday morning while their kids have weird-as-poo poo conversations and games that every now and then they have to be like "hey! Hey! ...put that down!"

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Brawnfire posted:

Which I love, by the way; the bridge is like a living room and they're like a mom and dad sipping coffee in their recliners on a sunday morning while their kids have weird-as-poo poo conversations and games that every now and then they have to be like "hey! Hey! ...put that down!"

Same. It totally has a family room in the 50's vibe to it. Parents in their respective chairs, kids sitting way too close to the TV.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

With the string of successes that Ed had had, I'm betting the end of season cliffhanger will be the brass trying to promote him to a new ship as the war with the Krill heats up.

This is a nice mirror of Riker always turning down promotions.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Krill Makeup demo up on Tested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXVZF41-Fp0

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Picard and Dathon at El-Adrel. Temba, his arms wide!
Colin, kneeling yet victorious. Donald, his heart screaming.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I'm rewatching from the beginning again. I really hope our cities look like New York does someday; all that green, it's beautiful.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Wait. I just caught that the seeds were altered with tardigrade DNA. What's with all the tardigrade lately?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Star Trek has always sneered at religion, it's not because of MacFarland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTaj4nNH5ko

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

TNG Federation is a communist society nicked straight from Marx' works. Of course it's an atheistic society looking down on religion :can:

(I never watched the original show, it's just too goofy for me. It might be different there.)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Brawnfire posted:

Wait. I just caught that the seeds were altered with tardigrade DNA. What's with all the tardigrade lately?

A tardigrade is just a creature that seems to be able to survive almost anything, so you'd want to make things emulate that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Here's a long video about how they did the alien makeup

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

There was a surge of news articles on tardigrades over this summer. https://www.google.com/search?q=tardigrade+news+article&oq=tardigrade+news+article

I think some studies were released and NY Times, CNN, Vox, National Geographic, etc followed with a bunch of "Hey, check out this crazy, almost indestructible creature" articles.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
The Cosmos remake spent a lot of time talking about them

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Brawnfire posted:

I'm rewatching from the beginning again. I really hope our cities look like New York does someday; all that green, it's beautiful.

It's a brighter, happier future.

I'm re-watching the Space Turtle-episode and I love how the Isaac always says the most obvious things.

"It is a lift, captain!"
"Captain! I believe were on the bridge of the ship."

"Mercer to Orville." Er Er Er "Mercer to Orville, do you read." Er Er Er
"Seems like communications don't work captain!"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

adhuin posted:

It's a brighter, happier future.

I'm re-watching the Space Turtle-episode and I love how the Isaac always says the most obvious things.

"It is a lift, captain!"
"Captain! I believe were on the bridge of the ship."

"Mercer to Orville." Er Er Er "Mercer to Orville, do you read." Er Er Er
"Seems like communications don't work captain!"

I'm trying to remember what Isaac sounds like and I read all those lines in Kryten's most sarcastic voice.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Bloop posted:

I'm trying to remember what Isaac sounds like and I read all those lines in Kryten's most sarcastic voice.

It's not that far off. Kryten has more enthusiasm and over the top inflection, maybe a slightly higher timbre. Saru from Discovery is closer to Kryten, though, I think.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

The Bloop posted:

To me, he sounds exactly like Robert Picardo.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Tunicate posted:

Here's a long video about how they did the alien makeup

I like how often they reference Star Trek while very carefully never saying those words.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Brawnfire posted:

A year or two ago a scientific paper came out describing an unprecedented amount of horizontal gene transfer (genes being taken from one organism into the genome of an unrelated organism) in tardigrades, something like 50% of tardigrade genes seemed to have originated from horizontal transfer. Unfortunately another paper soon followed showing that the first paper's results were due to contaminated genome sequencing.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Lol, that's a scientific self own on at least two levels. First, loving up the original finding. Then, beshitting a cool discovery by debunking it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

A tardigrade is just a creature that seems to be able to survive almost anything, so you'd want to make things emulate that.

Yeah as much as the aforementioned science paper might've gotten wrong they're still cool in the sense of what they survive.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Cingulate posted:

Colin, kneeling yet victorious. Donald, his heart screaming.

Shaka, his eyes open.

zoux posted:

Star Trek has always sneered at religion, it's not because of MacFarland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTaj4nNH5ko

In this context Picard does not want to be worshipped as a god or be responsible for that whole situation. It's not that same as "sneering at religion..."

Kind of like how how the alt-right thinks the Orville is cool and good because it supports their views if you squint and don't look too closely.

:)

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

TNG Federation is a communist society nicked straight from Marx' works. Of course it's an atheistic society looking down on religion :can:

(I never watched the original show, it's just too goofy for me. It might be different there.)

They have evolved to the point where they don't need to constantly poo poo on religion... something we can all aspire to.

:)

The Bloop posted:

He sounds like Data. His inflection is nearly perfect Data.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

evilmiera posted:

Yeah as much as the aforementioned science paper might've gotten wrong they're still cool in the sense of what they survive.

I know there's google, and I'll do that too, but this is a cool chat. Are they actually able to survive the vacuum of space? If so, do we know the mechanism as to how it's done, and would that be as simple to genetically transfer as, say, bioluminescence?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Their moral reasoning in this episode is hilariously sloppy.

"I don't want to kill everyone on this ship" ---> "There are kids here!" -----> "I am comfortable killing only the adults"

As if choosing to not kill people lets you feel better about the people you do kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Their moral reasoning in this episode is hilariously sloppy.

"I don't want to kill everyone on this ship" ---> "There are kids here!" -----> "I am comfortable killing only the adults"

As if choosing to not kill people lets you feel better about the people you do kill.

Children are not responsible for living on a warship. Adults, much more so.

edit: If you ever find yourself in a situation like that, definitely don't kill the kids. Yes, it makes a difference to the universe, not just to your feelings.