Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yond Cassius posted:

His inaugural project would be the highest-resolution, most lovingly-rendered Bristol Stool Chart ever created.

In bad lighting with poor white balance and a lovely B&W conversion also attached just for funsies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

polyester concept posted:

He was also planning on going balls deep into a large format set up, both 4x5 and 8x10

Good news! He's decided to go with 8x10

quote:

I have dreamed about going into large format for 4 years. The things I want to photograph on large format include landscapes, wild flowers, and landmarks. I am an outdoors person. I already have a portfolio of my best photos. I strive to make my photos unique, beautiful, and professional grade. I have some details worked out and some that are not. The details that are worked out include:

-The light meter will be the Gossen Sixtomat F2 Exposure Meter. The fancier ones from Sekonic are overkill.
-I will use my navigational skills along with reading forecasts to figure out when to be where.
-The camera will be from Intrepid. If I could use a 4x5 reduction back for the 8x10 camera, I would. I selected this brand because even the 8x10 camera is not that heavy. After all, what is the point of a fancy camera that is too much of a burden to take along?
-I will look around the area for interesting things to photograph. Later on in the trip, I will return to the interesting place at well before the right time so I can setup the camera. I will wait patiently for the everything to be just right.
-I will need a 150mm lens and a 300mm lens. The 300mm must be compatible with 8x10. Besides shooting 8x10 with the 300mm, I will use it as a telephoto lens for 4x5. I originally wanted 4 lenses but I made compromises. -Wild flowers will be captured on 4x5. The broad scenes that don't demand reduced exposure times will be shot on 8x10. Scenes with water may be shot on 4x5 instead of 8x10.
-For color positives, I will bring the filters specified on their specs sheets. -My goal is to have a 3D look to a 2D medium.
-I will drum scan only the good stuff; it will be at 4000dpi. -The prints should look high end to the viewers who are laymen. The photos should look amazing in general.
-I will use Fujifilm Velvia 100F for the more moderate dynamic range scenes that benefit from high contrast (provided that I can still import the last of it from Japan). For moderate dynamic range scenes that benefit from more moderate contrast (such as flowers), I will use Fujifilm Provia 100F. For higher dynamic range scenes or scenes that benefit from intentional overexposure, I will use Kodak Portra 400 and/or Portra 160. If it were between 400 and 160, I would go with 400. The reason is that it is better to have too much sensitivity than too little. The Portra 400 will make it easier to use intentional over exposure.

The parts not confirmed include:
-What book should I read for taking photos on large format?
-What grad ND filters to use if I should use any? I have never used grad filters.
-How many stops of dynamic range should I expect if I use the Tiffen Ultra Contrast filter to raise shadows and lower highlights to bring them closer to zone 5 (known as middle grey)?
-What is a good high quality loupe for obtaining critical focus? -How do I find the right ICC profiles for inverting color negatives? I preferably want one for daylight white balance and one for cloudy white balance. I would like the white balance set manually in the scanning phase.
-What is a good infrared based distance measurement device. This is to help with selecting what to focus on and selecting the right aperture.
-What is a good infrared measurement device that is low cost. This is to help with selecting the focus point and aperture.

I know that is a lot but I could use some advice. What should I do differently? What am I forgetting? How should I motivate myself to just get the stuff and do it? I have already been to great places and taken great photos. It is just a matter of doing it (I like the "now or never" mindset). If I decide to do large format, I need to start now while the good film equipment is still around. What advice do you have for me in general?

Helen Highwater fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 3, 2017

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Helen Highwater posted:

Man is this guy making me feel bad about wanting to shoot medium format

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

I have many ideas I want to bring to life. I would like advice.
submitted 11 days ago

It's a whole list of crazy including new operating systems and internets, but I'll only post the photography-relevant part:

quote:

I dream about starting my own company to bring my ideas to life. They include:
New digital cameras. The cameras will have a new sensor technology that I thought of. It will improve the image quality. My cameras will allow users to install third party apps that help reduce guesswork associated with taking good pictures and video. They will benefit those who care about taking good photos but are not tech savvy. The cameras will use logarithmic A/D conversion to fit a high dynamic range scene into a manageable range of numbers without banding. The camera will be ISO invariant. If you use the same exposure time and aperture and save in RAW, the values saved will be the same regardless of ISO selected in camera. You can apply a LUT to raise or lower the tone values later. It will have a special light metering system that does not get confused the way today's current TTL metering systems do.
I have at times thought about dropping out of college to pursue these ideas. If I do, I want to do it when the time is right.
How should I get started? How should I go about finding people to help me bring these inventions to life? How should I motivate myself to write everything down? Which ideas do and do not sound appealing? What advice do you have for me in general?

You see, he's already got the hard parts figured out. All he needs now is the magic secret on how to get started.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Helen Highwater posted:

quote:

I will drum scan only the good stuff; it will be at 4000dpi. -The prints should look high end to the viewers who are laymen

What a great goal.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

the bottom comment that addresses most of his questions is almost as wrong as the original poster

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Here's a list of all this amazing equipment I will need to complete my photographic odyssey.

On question though; how do I take pictures?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
His posts are stressing me out and it's not even my money.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Thom12255 posted:

His posts are stressing me out and it's not even my money.

I feel an overwhelming urge to give him a wedgie.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

It's really worth it to go for a journey through his reddit posts. Pages and pages of strangely worded and ridiculous ideas, then all of a sudden a detailed description of his poop fetish.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

His post history is really something - terrible posts about photography, terrible posts on economics, and poop.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

NeuralSpark posted:

His post history is really something - terrible posts about photography, terrible posts on economics, and poop.

Why doesn't he post here?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unfortunately his kickstarter to buy a forums account got zero backers.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
I'm always weirdly fascinated by his photography posts, because it's like a Markov text generator from other, better posts. The words are familiar and most of them sound like posts by people who know what they're talking about, but they're completely disconnected from each other or any actual understanding.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Yond Cassius posted:

I'm always weirdly fascinated by his photography posts, because it's like a Markov text generator from other, better posts. The words are familiar and most of them sound like posts by people who know what they're talking about, but they're completely disconnected from each other or any actual understanding.

It reminds me of this really small skinny guy I'd sometimes see at the gym who would slowly add 45 lb weights to the squat rack, one at a time, until there was probably over 500 lbs on there. He would pace around the rack between additions, psyching himself up, but would never actually lift anything.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

polyester concept posted:

It reminds me of this really small skinny guy I'd sometimes see at the gym who would slowly add 45 lb weights to the squat rack, one at a time, until there was probably over 500 lbs on there. He would pace around the rack between additions, psyching himself up, but would never actually lift anything.

The difference is that the skinny little dude at least got the exercise value of hefting the 45-lb plates onto the rack.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
He sounds like a guy who's spent infinite amounts of time acquiring photography information on the web, but very little time actually taking any photos.

Hard to get out there and snap some pics when there's so much poop out there and so little time.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

He sounds like a guy who's spent infinite amounts of time acquiring photography information on the web, but very little time actually taking any photos.

Pls dont doxx me like this

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I'm late on this but ..

....it's over saturated.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

quote:

The photographer's eye never rests,it's always attentive and trained to discover new scenes in different places and moments that to others may seem insignificant. It's my wish to share with you my discoveries.
elbetobm

https://flic.kr/p/QLCSuD

Sergio Pessolano PRO 5mo posted:

Great colors!

You only need to favorite 1 million flickr photos to get this kind of following.

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 11, 2017

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Gold Star Award - Level 1
You are invited to add this exceptional image to
GOLD STAR AWARD

(Flickr comments are cancer)

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
The watermark right down the middle is really something special

And the tags... 'micropyle' it me i'm that.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

rio posted:

Gold Star Award - Level 1
You are invited to add this exceptional image to
GOLD STAR AWARD

(Flickr comments are cancer)

You've now offended cancer and hurt its feelings.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
1k likes for drawing with MSPaint onto clipart?

https://flic.kr/p/Apt4z8

He's watermarked it too so you can't steal it :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kenny Logins posted:

The watermark right down the middle is really something special

And the tags... 'micropyle' it me i'm that.

"sexually" made it into the tags too.

I know a lot of creeps stalk flickr for fap material but a neon caterpillar is not something I would have guessed as a fetish.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

xzzy posted:

"sexually" made it into the tags too.

I know a lot of creeps stalk flickr for fap material but a neon caterpillar is not something I would have guessed as a fetish.
Maybe she shoots a lot of really fuckin' sexy caterpillars.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

pls dont doxx me

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

An inert vape with creamy smooth oceanside bokeh, aww hell yeah.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
vape nation's version of d day

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Surprised no butt crack

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

As the camera tilts up, the hard edges of the sub-ohm power source and XXX-treme capacity tank throw deep shadows on the sand. As if in the distance the first quavering notes of "Also sprach Zarathustra" float over the surf before the pounding of the tympani and the pounding of the waves work in concordance with the rising of the sun to reveal the awesome SX G Class 200W TC Box and Sigelei Moonshot RDTA Tank. A cloud of vapor rolls across the scene. It is Alpha Vape's Heist. The music fades in to submission and Big Analog is defeated once and for all.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I want to see the picture he took.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I wish someone ran up and punted it into the ocean.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

just a castaway
a manchild lost at sea
another lonely day
with no one here but me

more candy-flavored clouds
than my baby palate could bear
rescue me before I fall into le despair

i'll send a robot dick to the world
i hope that someone gets my
e-cig in a bottle

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Kenny Logins posted:

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Doggles posted:

I have many ideas I want to bring to life. I would like advice.
submitted 11 days ago

It's a whole list of crazy including new operating systems and internets, but I'll only post the photography-relevant part:

You see, he's already got the hard parts figured out. All he needs now is the magic secret on how to get started.

Holy poo poo.

Hey guys how do I start a sensor fabrication foundry? How should I word my kickstarter pitch? I've digested a lot of dpreview posts, so I know I'm on the cusp of achieving this goal.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This individual works in the white house and this is their portfolio site:

http://www.politicalphotographer.co/

I appreciate that as a documentary photographer you don't get to choose the scene and lighting so they won't all be zingers, but it seems reasonable that the site you set up to show off your work should be the very best you can produce.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
It's funny because her wikipedia article claims she's worked for a ton of clients but doesn't name any of them. Meanwhile the last three official white house photographers have actual portfolios not just random collections of sara palin snapshots. It's almost like this administration is garbage and hires mediocre people.

Note that I'm not taking a shot at someone who takes hundreds of mediocre snapshots at events, every event photographer does that because not every event photo is a masterpiece. Most of us don't put massive dumps of them up on our portfolio. I delivered 435 photos for my last wedding job but I'll probably only put one or two from it in my port the next time I update. Her site is some craigslist bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s a pretty insane contrast to the amazing photos of Obama on the campaign trail and in the White House over the years.