Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
My boat agent called me from St Thomas today and told me if I ever buy lottery tickets he wants in

Those two sunken boats survived Irma, did not survive Maria. Mine is fine. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Kenshin posted:

My boat agent called me from St Thomas today and told me if I ever buy lottery tickets he wants in

I'm in for that pool. Nice boat!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
All that said, at this point I am no longer planning to move down there onto the boat. The closest place I could take it to for the various marine services I need at this point is Guadalupe, and I neither feel safe sailing that boat that long of a distance without the maintenance it needs nor the extra time and expense being sunk into it.

So sadly I'm going to have to attempt to sell it over the next few months, and I'll just go back to my first plan: buy a ~45' sailboat here in Seattle. My job here wants me to stay, so that helps.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sorry you won't be able to make the move, but glad to hear your boat survived!

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Kenshin posted:

So sadly I'm going to have to attempt to sell it over the next few months, and I'll just go back to my first plan: buy a ~45' sailboat here in Seattle. My job here wants me to stay, so that helps.

Maybe you can summon the Anti-14" to bring it from the USVI to Seattle.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

monsterzero posted:

Maybe you can summon the Anti-14" to bring it from the USVI to Seattle.

14fathomdick? Sub-14"dick?

Not the thread AI needs, but the thread AI deserves.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Glad your boat came through it leaving you the option to sell.

Not to take pleasure in the misery of others, but I'd think the market would be good for a seller after the hurricanes. Good luck with the sale.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Kenshin posted:

Those two sunken boats survived Irma, did not survive Maria. Mine is fine. :stare:

Good luck with the sale, you dodged a big bullet.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I got to go out on a little boat for a work thing over the weekend.

They were taking on about 5000 tonnes of ore at a dinky port in Norway (out of something like a 56,000 tonne capacity). Because of various factors, they didn't get in until 2:00 AM. A coworker and I got on the ship around 2:30, and had until 7 to install and configure some equipment before they had to go. This was our first install on this company's ships, so there was a lot to discover about how their bridge is laid out, their network topology, etc. We took a trip down to the engine control room, but the only picture I got was of a configuration screen with an IP address on a piece of equipment down there.

The bridge. I didn't play with the binoculars even though I wanted to

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So this is pretty interesting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qipWHayS-c

Based on the hull length, the hull speed calculates out to 25 knots, so with a decent wind, this thing should be the fastest sailing yacht in the world I imagine. Interesting that they use the propellers in high wind conditions to drive generators for electrical power.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

The Locator posted:

So this is pretty interesting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qipWHayS-c

Based on the hull length, the hull speed calculates out to 25 knots, so with a decent wind, this thing should be the fastest sailing yacht in the world I imagine. Interesting that they use the propellers in high wind conditions to drive generators for electrical power.

That thing is uglier than an Airbus A380.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

meltie posted:

That thing is uglier than an Airbus A380.

I went to my naval architect and told him that I wanted something that combines the good looks of a MacGreggor 26 and an Art Deco square rigger.

It's still better looking than A.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

monsterzero posted:

I went to my naval architect and told him that I wanted something that combines the good looks of a MacGreggor 26 and an Art Deco square rigger.

It's still better looking than A.

Lol I remember there was a MacGreggor 26 slipped next to my parent's O'day in the 80s and that thing was fugly.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Maybe I'm broken, but it looks pretty cool and the idea of a transatlantic crossing without using any fuel is neat. Plus it goes fast.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
There's a Macgregor that docks at my marina. It's like someone wanted to cross a sailboat with a power boat and ended up with a minivan.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

TrueChaos posted:

Maybe I'm broken, but it looks pretty cool and the idea of a transatlantic crossing without using any fuel is neat. Plus it goes fast.

I'm sort of neutral on the looks myself, but I love that they built something like this, and the technology is cool. The fact that it's as big as it is makes it potentially very fast doing long legs under sail.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

TrueChaos posted:

There are actually plans to put sails like this on container ships to reduce fuel costs.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
That thing is mighty ugly. Idk if I'm gonna spend how ever many millions on a sail boat I'd rather have a cool rear end old school multi-masted schooner or something.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Nitrousoxide posted:

There are actually plans to put sails like this on container ships to reduce fuel costs.

For about twenty years going and it still hasn't happened.

IFO and LNG are cheap, yo.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Maltese Falcon is a similar yacht, except while it is a good bit smaller, it doesn’t look like a bag of smashed assholes with masts sticking out the top.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Is A confirmed to actually be capable of sailing now, then? I remember some kerfuffle last year regarding claims that the sails were for show and not functionally usable in most weather.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Rime posted:

Is A confirmed to actually be capable of sailing now, then? I remember some kerfuffle last year regarding claims that the sails were for show and not functionally usable in most weather.

I didn't realize that 'A' was even a thing, although I do remember reading an article about the mast construction, I'd never seen a picture of the completed ship. Holy crap that's an ugly ship!

No idea if what you are saying is true or not, nothing much out there that I can find on it.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

The Locator posted:

I didn't realize that 'A' was even a thing although I do remember reading an article about the mast construction, I'd never seen a picture of the completed ship. Holy crap that's an ugly ship!

No idea if what you are saying is true or not, nothing much out there that I can find on it.

The only positive thing I can think of about A is that it kept a lot of ship builders busy, and will continue to employ a lot of sailors. Hopefully they aren't all being held hostage by confiscated passport.

As a palette cleanser, here is a pretty superyacht (150'), the kind I plan to buy when my Uncle Moneybags kicks the bucket.

It's the s/v Christopher, we passed by her(him?) on the ferry to Alcatraz a few summers ago. I knew/thought little of sailboats at the time but it was so graceful as it sailed towards the city front I had to find out more about it. That was the first of two experiences that planted the sailing-bug in me.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

monsterzero posted:

It's the s/v Christopher, we passed by her(him?) on the ferry to Alcatraz a few summers ago. I knew/thought little of sailboats at the time but it was so graceful as it sailed towards the city front I had to find out more about it. That was the first of two experiences that planted the sailing-bug in me.

Jesus, it doesn't look that big until I counted the spreaders and looked up the specifications. Its got more beam than any boat I've sailed on has LOD.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

boxen posted:

Jesus, it doesn't look that big until I counted the spreaders and looked up the specifications. Its got more beam than any boat I've sailed on has LOD.

beam of 9.50m (31'2"ft) and a 9.40m (30'10"ft) draft

:stare:

Edit: Size pic

The Locator fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 16, 2017

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

The Locator posted:

beam of 9.50m (31'2"ft) and a 9.40m (30'10"ft) draft

:stare:

Edit: Size pic

Only needs 4 meters with the keel up tho! Speaking of which, I'd really like to see more about it's keel. The builders talk about a 'bomb bay' doors for when it's retracted, but they also call it a centerboard while it looks like a bulb keel...

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I guess they mean it just retracts like a centerboard. If it has the "bomb bay" doors, I wonder if it retracts fully into the hull?

That is a pretty, pretty boat.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That's a cool spicy pepper spinnaker too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR-h-0wLSC0

Starting a hot bulb engined boat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-U5QfxluX8

Potentially nauseating but more detailed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDkR1M5FDNQ

A ride.

I want a ride in this boat.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
So forgive my ignorance. As far as I can tell,

1. The brass stove (?) heats a plug to act as a glowplug would in a modern diesel

2. He fiddles with priming and all sort of fuel mixes etc

3. Kicks it over manually using a peg that (self retracts?)

5. The first "combustion cycle"(?) occurs due to the heat of the plug?

6. Engine contines on compression-ignition(?)

7. Profit??

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You’ve mostly got it. It’s a relative of the diesel engine.

The “stove” is a blow lamp (or “torch”). It is itself liquid fuelled and has to be preheated, typically by burning fuel in an open pool under the nozzle.

Wikipedia goes over the differences between hot‐bulb engines and diesels.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Suddenly I don't feel so bad about my outboard taking half a dozen rips to come to life.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Off season bump.

I finally half-finished my mast crutch so my mast now sits about two feet above the stern pulpit and the tarps now tent properly and don't collect water above the cockpit. I still need to add some loops for tie-downs and to drill some holes for pin in the raised position but I'm not going to worry about that until its closer to launching.

Next project is to fix the rudder and tiller. Last time out we grounded the rudder at the launch ramp, damaging the leading edge and tweaking at least the upper pintle. I'd really like to buy a new rudder, but I'm sure my wife would start asking questions if big foil showed up in the mail. I'll fix the chips and paint it sometime this winter.

The tiller was ugly as hell so I'm sanding, applying new varnish and cleaning up the hardware. I spent about two hours yesterday sanding by hand and the old varnish is gone. There's still black gunk in deep grains and small cracks but I'm not going to to sand any further. Hopefully it gives the tiller a nice wabi-sabi vibe when it's varnished.

Before: (uneven color is from dappled sun)

Close up:

After sanding, installed in my jig:

This morning I built the jig. I'll clamp the 2x4 into a workmate and I can reposition the tiller any-side up thanks to the allthread and convenient preexisting holes. I need to give it one more sanding with 150grit and hopefully I can start varnishing tomorrow morning.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

slothrop posted:

3. Kicks it over manually using a peg that (self retracts?)

I don't remember much about grandmas brother, I was quite young when he died, but I do remember his very pronounced limp.

It was from when the peg didn't retract as it should one day, and it came back around and broke his fibula and tibia.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I watched this and I was trying to imagine what sort of reaction you would get if you could magically go back in time to the age of sail and show some captain's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ3-uN13kkA

I'm curious about that bow design. Does anyone know why they don't give these race boats more of a clipper shaped bow to help keep them from digging in and making the boat so wet?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

The Locator posted:

I watched this and I was trying to imagine what sort of reaction you would get if you could magically go back in time to the age of sail and show some captain's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ3-uN13kkA

I'm curious about that bow design. Does anyone know why they don't give these race boats more of a clipper shaped bow to help keep them from digging in and making the boat so wet?

I mean they literally would not believe you if you told them the speeds modern cruising catamarans and trimarans achieve.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
As someone who crews in amateur racing, having something go wrong at those speeds seems like a death sentence. Especially with how much water is spraying on deck, even simple tasks look like a potential overboard.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Popete posted:

As someone who crews in amateur racing, having something go wrong at those speeds seems like a death sentence. Especially with how much water is spraying on deck, even simple tasks look like a potential overboard.

You can see in many videos of the Volvo race that the crew members are tied off. I assume they remain tied off the majority of the time if they are not somewhere or doing something that precludes it.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
I think what would really blow their mind would be showing them something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btNKDYvVK1g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

The inverse bow maximizes waterline length and thus hull speed, and with a fine entry like that helps pierce waves to minimize pounding, which is an issue with these flat-bottomed race boats.